ADVERTISEMENT

Burton Pens Thank You to Rutgers Fans

He always fell into that "extremely easy to root for" category. Will be missed.

"He always fell into that "extremely easy to root for" category. Will be missed."

This is very true. What a wonderful letter + so thoughtful. His major was communication and he demonstrated his communication skills very effectively with that letter. He personifies what RU football is all about.

Makes you proud that this young man played for and will graduate from our university. Good stuff.

I like it, bet these guys do also...

leonard-300x217.jpg

Micheal Burton...the epitome of what it means to be a Rutgers man!

In my mind, he'll always rank up there with the Rutgers greats, and he's someone who truly has, and always will have, the heart of a warrior!

Leadership. Talent. Class. Character. Burton has all of those - he will be successful in any endeavor he pursues. Best of luck in the NFL and beyond.

Thank You Michael!!!! What a pleasure it has been to cheer you on. Go kill it in the NFL!!!

As a guy who grew up in Chester and went to West Morris Central, I could no be prouder of Michael Burton. I have spoken to him a few times and all I can say is he is such a nice and classy kid, and could not be a better representative for Rutgers Football. This letter just proves it. I wish him all the success in his future endeavors I know he is going to have. I know we all are going to miss watching him play on the banks but hopefully we will continue to watch him play on sundays. If I was a coach, I don't care how I use him, special teams, fullback, whatever, he is a guy I want on my team.

Lets go Jets and Giants, get on the ball before another RU player becomes a big contributor in New England!!!!!!!

Mike don't want to rain on your parade man but what about your parents lol
I have a feeling w/o the support of your parents things wouldn't have fallen into place for you as perfectly as it has. The thing about college football that is great is that every year you have a new team...the bad thing about college football is that every year you have a new team. You become attached to the guys you support every year and wish that 4 yrs could actually be 10 yrs. You are a great ambassador for Family, Rutgers, Your town and NJ

I'll never forget this experience when they were working on the stadium expansion I wanted to take a peak so on a Saturday I brought my 3yr old daughter by the stadium with me as practice was ending. The gate was open so we walked up the ramp into the stadium and all the players walking by were smiling at and waving to my daughter on their way to the locker room In my 15 yrs as a ticket holder there had not been more than a handful of players that have represented RU in a negative way to me that's incredible especially when you look across the country at other schools

Wow! It would be tough to top that letter. It's better than anything that could ever come from a PR department.

Michael - you are, and always will be….a SCARLET KNIGHT.

-Scarlet Jerry

SO Classy. I'm going to miss this guy. Loved watching him block. Always wished he had
a few more touches. Hope he becomes another successful and respectful RU player in the league.

I went to WMCHS, graduated in 89, when were you there?

Originally posted by JPhoboken:
As a guy who grew up in Chester and went to West Morris Central, I could no be prouder of Michael Burton. I have spoken to him a few times and all I can say is he is such a nice and classy kid, and could not be a better representative for Rutgers Football. This letter just proves it. I wish him all the success in his future endeavors I know he is going to have. I know we all are going to miss watching him play on the banks but hopefully we will continue to watch him play on sundays. If I was a coach, I don't care how I use him, special teams, fullback, whatever, he is a guy I want on my team.

Lets go Jets and Giants, get on the ball before another RU player becomes a big contributor in New England!!!!!!!

The NFL team that gets Michael will be very happy. I thought I would paste his letter so us lazy guys will see it.

Dear Rutgers Community,

As I have recently completed my undergraduate studies at Rutgers
University, I want to take this opportunity to thank the Rutgers
community for all of the support and generosity I received through my
five years "On the Banks." From the time I attended Rutgers football
camp when I was 16, I knew this was the place for me. Making my decision
to play football as a preferred walk-on was the best decision of my
life. I can now proudly say that I'm an `alum' from one of the most
prestigious and respected universities in the country.

As a Jersey kid, playing football at Rutgers had always been a dream of
mine. I want to thank each and every coach that I've had the pleasure to
cross paths with over the last five years. Thank you for always pushing
me to be the best student-athlete I could be. Not only have you helped
me succeed on the football field, but more importantly, you have helped
me grow into the man that I am today.

To my teammates, football is the ultimate team game and I'd be nothing
without you guys. In victory and in defeat we always supported and
fought for each other. Every accomplishment we achieved at Rutgers meant
so much more because we shared it together. We have an unbreakable
brotherhood that we will take with us moving forward; we truly are
FAMILY.

I'm grateful for each of the departments in Rutgers Athletics that
helped me to pursue my dream. Thank you to the strength staff for
pushing me, encouraging me, and motivating me to succeed in the weight
room. Thank you to the training staff for your dedication to keeping me
healthy and safe. Thank you to the academic staff for making it possible
to thrive in the classroom while maintaining a demanding schedule in
football. Thank you to the communications department for always
preparing me for interviews and allowing me to represent R Football at
Big Ten Media Day. Thank you to the donors who allow student-athletes to
represent Rutgers and play the sport they love so much. On fall
Saturdays my teammates and I receive much of the glory, but I know that
we are a reflection of the hard work and dedication you all put into us.

Lastly, thank you to the best fans in college sports. You made playing
football at Rutgers such an amazing and memorable experience. Because of
you, I will have many life-long memories that I will never forget. The
atmosphere that was created after beating Michigan in our 2014 season
will forever hold a special place in my heart. Your support has been
unwavering and I'm proud to say it was an honor running out of the
tunnel with Rutgers printed across my chest.

It has been an absolute blessing being a student-athlete at Rutgers
University. I don't know what the future holds in my journey into the
NFL, but I'm proud to say that I will always be a Scarlet Knight and I
will take all of you with me!

Sincerely,

Michael Burton

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT