ADVERTISEMENT

Butch Davis on RU recruiting'they missed a big window"

BlockR

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 28, 2015
Butch Davis is on as co host with Chris Carlin,XM College sports 84 some afternoons,on this past Monday Butch Davis,who is friends with Schiano,offered a comment on Rutgers. In short he stated Rutgers missed a big three-four year window to gain on recuiting in this north east area with Penn State on sanctions,Syracuse floundering and BC being a mess. He said not gaining in roads during that time has set RU back with what you see on field and now having to battle Michigan and other Big 10 schools..
again..the Flood factor.

Not exactly profound. We knew that the jump to the big was an excellent time to make recruiting strides. I don't blame flood. He was the wrong guy. Whomever really controlled The purse strings, maybe even as high up as Christie, refused to let us spend against the earnings in the future. Penny wise and pound foolish

Sounds like some thought has been put into that comment.. meaning he has discussed this topic before.. perhaps with Schiano.

Reactions: Peteyd
dumbdumber.gif

The year Rutgers lost all those 4 star recruits set us back for another five to ten years. We are competing against teams that can't have one down year.

I have accepted the fact that Rutgers will not be a top 30 program. It may occasionally crack the top 50, but overall it will always remain between 75 to 125. We may have cracked the top 30 only once under Schiano.

The last time this program had any buzz was a decade a ago. And that lasted for few weeks only.

Boy - that's another indictment of our most recent former head coach, who's name we're no longer allowed to mention in threads on this board!

Last edited:
Boy - that's another indictment of our most recent former head coach, who's name were no longer allowed to mention in threads on this board!

Short of outstanding results on the field for multiple years, the decommit class was a disaster that probably could not be recovered from without a change no matter what ol you know who did from there on. Just too many miss steps.

It's delusional to think the program is going to make some sort of magic leap forward with the former regime or with this one. At best we're transitional. Until those B1G $ start to flow in (and booster $) we are a program in transition. Compare what we spend on the product vs. what the top five programs spend. We can still optimize our situation, as I believe we are doing. But there are limits.

Reactions: redking
Sounds like some thought has been put into that comment.. meaning he has discussed this topic before.. perhaps with Schiano.
When Greg Schiano looks across the sidelines next Thursday, he'll see the man who taught him how to be a head coach - Butch Davis.

Davis, now the head coach at the University of North Carolina, took a young Schiano under his wing when he arrived at the University of Miami in 1999. He included the fresh-faced defensive coordinator in areas that he might not have been, had Schiano been with another program.

"He's one of my best friends in coaching," Schiano said. "He's meant a ton to me. Every stop along the way I was very blessed to have great people that I worked for. And at that time in my career, Butch gave me the opportunity to learn how to be a head coach.

Yes, the $$$ will help. But until Ash gets in three years of recruiting and being able to coach them up, we are just going to have to be patient. Who gives a rip about what happened in the past. Everybody can look back and say what if?...............

Also, Butch Davis pulls out a couple of improbable wins and now he is Vince Lombardi?

Reactions: rav2003
I am not willing to believe the window has closed yet. This 2017 class already has multiple NJ top ten players in it when the staff has only been in place for a few months. What will the 2018 class look like when the staff has had kids entire junior year to recruit?

Yes, the $$$ will help. But until Ash gets in three years of recruiting and being able to coach them up, we are just going to have to be patient. Who gives a rip about what happened in the past. Everybody can look back and say what if?...............

Also, Butch Davis pulls out a couple of improbable wins and now he is Vince Lombardi?
It was Butch Davis, not Larry Coker who set Miami up for their last Nat'l Championship.

Butch Davis is on as co host with Chris Carlin,XM College sports 84 some afternoons,on this past Monday Butch Davis,who is friends with Schiano,offered a comment on Rutgers. In short he stated Rutgers missed a big three-four year window to gain on recuiting in this north east area with Penn State on sanctions,Syracuse floundering and BC being a mess. He said not gaining in roads during that time has set RU back with what you see on field and now having to battle Michigan and other Big 10 schools..
again..the Flood factor.
While I agree I'm not sure that Cuse & BC are really that much of a factor right now, and may never be again. Sure they may get one, maybe two each year but nothing like what it used to be. Right now, a large number of the guys UM gets are going to be folks that probably wouldn't come here anyway. PSU is the real threat.

Oh, this topic never gets old to me. Why doesn't it get old you ask. Because there were so many people on these boards who fought tooth and nail to retain Flood. No matter how bad things got. And it's very important to never forget for a program like ours in a league like ours that when things don't seem right, it's time to start considering to cut bait. Otherwise we can be in the situation like we're in now. And that includes our current regime with Ash having never been a head coach and a 28 year old inexperienced OC. I'm not saying that time is now, but we better pay close attention over the next couple of years.

Now Butch Davis might be late to the party but he is so right. Heading into the B1G with the north eastern programs down at the same time was perfect timing for us. It's a shame we wasted it with Flood. We only had that opportunity once. A lot of blame goes to our administration for not pulling the plug on Flood early.

Not exactly profound. We knew that the jump to the big was an excellent time to make recruiting strides. I don't blame flood. He was the wrong guy. Whomever really controlled The purse strings, maybe even as high up as Christie, refused to let us spend against the earnings in the future. Penny wise and pound foolish
Let's take it one step further. You are 100% correct that Christie yanked on the purse strings (and hard). Why? Because the invite to the B10 had a direct correlation to the take over of the medical school, many here who are in denial will argue this point. All I say is look at the dates when everything went down and connect the dots.

To the point of recruiting. The medical school merger is costing RU a small fortune and once the New Democratic governor takes over in 2018 NJ residents will see the real bill and everyone on this site will understand why Schiano jumped ship (they weren't going to pay him 2.4 million), why Flood was hired with a starting salary of $800K (I think) and why we hired an DC from OSU and coordinators on the cheap. Not looking flame It's the truth!! If Coach Schiano did stay then yes we would be in much better shape.

He is not wrong. Imagine the depth we would have had if you know who had not allowed an entire class to get away from him.

again..the Flood factor.

been saying the same thing

We tool advantage in class of 2011 and 2012...then...well, we know the story'

We did miss a window.

But hey look, there's another window right in front of us.

As long as there is HS football in NJ, there will be a window.

This plus as his comments relate to PSU BC AND CUSE their status is still very similar. PSU have a few more ships but Franklin name is me sing less and less every day.

He who shall remain nameless is the gift that keeps on giving.
Not to defend him, but a few things happened in 2013 which caused a lot of the decommits were out of his control, namely Jevon Tyree. Tyree didn't play because he was too afraid to go out there and hit WRs. So now, he's at Brookdale playing baseball where he'll never have to lock horns with a big, scawy B1G WR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks forget that during this time we had the Mike Rice fiasco along with several PR missteps that did not shine a positive light on our University. It justified a lot of the decommits in the potential class that Flood put together.

While I agree I'm not sure that Cuse & BC are really that much of a factor right now, and may never be again. Sure they may get one, maybe two each year but nothing like what it used to be. Right now, a large number of the guys UM gets are going to be folks that probably wouldn't come here anyway. PSU is the real threat.
I agree that we don't really compete against Syracuse, BC or even Pittsburgh for recruits anymore. Penn State, VT and Maryland are our competition for recruits and the Big Boys for the elite recruits. We need to get 2-3 good not great recruiting classes 30-40th and we'll be competitive with Maryland and Penn State. This will depend if Ash is a better on field coach than the other two. Many other teams made a mistake with the head coach and have recovered and I think Rutgers will but not in 1-2 seasons.

I knew what I was talking about with Flood in his first year and I have a good sense about Ash. Ash has the energy and drive that will get Rutgers back on track. We need to be patience.

The year Rutgers lost all those 4 star recruits set us back for another five to ten years. We are competing against teams that can't have one down year.

I have accepted the fact that Rutgers will not be a top 30 program. It may occasionally crack the top 50, but overall it will always remain between 75 to 125. We may have cracked the top 30 only once under Schiano.

The last time this program had any buzz was a decade a ago. And that lasted for few weeks only.
Rutgers may not become a Top 30 program. That much is reasonable. To say we can't be a Top 50 program on a more permanent basis is beyond pessimistic.
Oh, this topic never gets old to me. Why doesn't it get old you ask. Because there were so many people on these boards who fought tooth and nail to retain Flood. No matter how bad things got. And it's very important to never forget for a program like ours in a league like ours that when things don't seem right, it's time to start considering to cut bait. Otherwise we can be in the situation like we're in now. And that includes our current regime with Ash having never been a head coach and a 28 year old inexperienced OC. I'm not saying that time is now, but we better pay close attention over the next couple of years.

Now Butch Davis might be late to the party but he is so right. Heading into the B1G with the north eastern programs down at the same time was perfect timing for us. It's a shame we wasted it with Flood. We only had that opportunity once. A lot of blame goes to our administration for not pulling the plug on Flood early.

A friend of mine who doesn't post on here really puts it right. In 2012, right after the regular season we should have bought out Flood in some sort of it looks like a resignation but it's definitely a firing move. We knew we were headed to the Big Ten and Flood squandered a promising season in the end. It should have been a thanks for holding the ship together for the last year and being a loyal guy, but we need to bring in someone who can at least have a shot at taking it to the next level. And we then start preparing for 2014.

In fairness...Our Names never to be spoken again should include the AD at the time too..Mr. NN2BSA may have screwed the pooch but Ms. NN2BSA is responsible for at least half of those decommits.

Folks forget that during this time we had the Mike Rice fiasco along with several PR missteps that did not shine a positive light on our University. It justified a lot of the decommits in the potential class that Flood put together.
Flood and Julie Hermann happened,which was the biggest combined Fiasco.

Reactions: RUaMoose
again..the Flood factor.

I have been saying this for years. I was roundly skewered on the board near the end of KF year 1 and we got the B10 invite and i said that KF shouldn't even get to the 1st year in the Big 10. We needed a real P5 HC to take advantage of the situation. Every additional KF year allowed was 2 lost when you include the extra time to undo the damage.

Our window actually started earlier than that --- when Joe Pa got so old that he was crapping his pants in happy valley PSU recruiting wasn't really good at that point.

Reactions: redking
Rutgers may not become a Top 30 program. That much is reasonable. To say we can't be a Top 50 program on a more permanent basis is beyond pessimistic.

A friend of mine who doesn't post on here really puts it right. In 2012, right after the regular season we should have bought out Flood in some sort of it looks like a resignation but it's definitely a firing move. We knew we were headed to the Big Ten and Flood squandered a promising season in the end. It should have been a thanks for holding the ship together for the last year and being a loyal guy, but we need to bring in someone who can at least have a shot at taking it to the next level. And we then start preparing for 2014.

If only we had the money. Even the Usf fiasco would've been ok timing wise.

Here's the thing about being in the B10:

The window never closes. If you win this conference, you're likely to make the playoffs. This isn't a situation, where if you lose, you might lose your chance at getting a spot in a conference that could make that guarantee.

Reactions: rav2003

So, somewhere around Temple, UConn etc...pretty damn pathetic outlook for a fan. Question, because I don't know the answer. Since 2005, how many times have we been between 75-100? twice maybe?

For how long is it going to be Festivus, and the airing of grievances, around here? He sucked and he's gone. There are no prizes for being the first to say it or for saying it louder or more often than anyone else. Butch Davis didn't say anything that 99% of Rutgers fans didn't already know.

Goes to show the extent that a guy like Butch Davis will shill for a former assistant. Does anyone think that Greg will always have good things to say about Butch Davis in the future ?

For how long is it going to be Festivus, and the airing of grievances, around here? He sucked and he's gone. There are no prizes for being the first to say it or for saying it louder or more often than anyone else. Butch Davis didn't say anything that 99% of Rutgers fans didn't already know.

The need to say "I told you so" is very strong around here. I do find it interesting that the first poster I remember blowing the whistle on our former coach has not tried to gloat that I've seen. I assume he's just very happy he's gone and prefers to look forward.

I agree that we don't really compete against Syracuse, BC or even Pittsburgh for recruits anymore. Penn State, VT and Maryland are our competition for recruits and the Big Boys for the elite recruits. We need to get 2-3 good not great recruiting classes 30-40th and we'll be competitive with Maryland and Penn State. This will depend if Ash is a better on field coach than the other two. Many other teams made a mistake with the head coach and have recovered and I think Rutgers will but not in 1-2 seasons.

I knew what I was talking about with Flood in his first year and I have a good sense about Ash. Ash has the energy and drive that will get Rutgers back on track. We need to be patience.
Whoa, careful there. Look at the 2016 class and many of them have offers from Cuse, BC, Temple. Only a select few have B1G offers. I smirk every time I hear, "Cuse is in our rear view mirror, so I don't want to talk about them." Well, not really. We may not play them on the field anymore, but we definitely compete with them on the recruiting trail.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Whoa, careful there. Look at the 2016 class and many of them have offers from Cuse, BC, Temple. Only a select few have B1G offers. I smirk every time I hear, "Cuse is in our rear view mirror, so I don't want to talk about them." Well, not really. We may not play them on the field anymore, but we definitely compete with them on the recruiting trail.
Syracuse has 1 NJ recruit this year QB DeVito who is a pro set QB and heard wanted to come to Rutgers. I say we go after him in Dec or Jan. Cuse did get a few the last few years when the prior coach was here but don't expect to happen in the future. We may compete with them but we are big dog compare to Cuse for NJ recruits.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT