ADVERTISEMENT

C Vivian Stringer Court pic

ScarletDave

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2010
New decal on the court to make it official - C Vivian Stringer Court. I know her final season as the official coach (although wasn’t coaching) was a source of great stress for many, but can’t argue what she did for RUWBB and Womens bball as a whole when it wasn’t as hip. For a long, long time was the face of Rutgers athletics and our only source of pride. I’ll always appreciate her.

New decal on the court to make it official - C Vivian Stringer Court. I know her final season as the official coach (although wasn’t coaching) was a source of great stress for many, but can’t argue what she did for RUWBB and Womens bball as a whole when it wasn’t as hip. For a long, long time was the face of Rutgers athletics and our only source of pride. I’ll always appreciate her.

I don't know how far you go back, but the program was hip before she got there. RU was the first to hire a full-time women's coach. Attendance was good and RU always took care of the program. When Stringer got there, she was the highest paid women's coach in the country, making more than the men's basketball coach or the football coach. RU took good care of the women's program, and good care of Stringer and her family needs.

Having the best winning percentage does NOT make someone the face of Rutgers Athletics. She was quirky and aloof, and while she loved her athletes and her team, she never took the opportunity to express any love for the university, like you see with Pike or, to a lesser extent GS. She was never the face of RU athletics.

I don't know how far you go back, but the program was hip before she got there. RU was the first to hire a full-time women's coach. Attendance was good and RU always took care of the program. When Stringer got there, she was the highest paid women's coach in the country, making more than the men's basketball coach or the football coach. RU took good care of the women's program, and good care of Stringer and her family needs.

Having the best winning percentage does NOT make someone the face of Rutgers Athletics. She was quirky and aloof, and while she loved her athletes and her team, she never took the opportunity to express any love for the university, like you see with Pike or, to a lesser extent GS. She was never the face of RU athletics.
And her Rutgers teams won how many games?

^^^^^ Truth.

When’s the last time a Hall of Fame coach had the gumption to give Rutgers the time of day or to consider Rutgers?
That’s easy, it was the last time Rutgers was willing to pay more than anyone else in the nation for their services and make them the highest paid coach in their sport, while stepping into a program that had gone 434 - 150 under the predecessor coach. I don't know how much "gumption" that takes.

Last edited:
Not really. That’s usually reserved for transformative coaches with NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. But, is what is.
according to what you think a person meant to a program is the way you feel that person should be honored.
CVS was the face, heart and soul of the RU WBB program for many a year and deserves this honor in my opinion.
If you feel otherwise I'm sure you'll find some that agree with your saying only Championships mean anything when it comes to honoring a programs long time HC that just retired.

I'll answer my own question. Stringer's teams at Rutgers won 535 games, made 17 NCAA tournament appearances, and went to a championship game. That's a pretty good basis for having a basketball court named after you, isn't it?
The answer is emphatically "NO!" She stepped into a program that had been 434 - 150 under the prior coach and improved the program marginally. And, unlike every other Rutgers program, she was given far more resources to work with than her competition/peers. Over the last nine years the program has actually had a losing record in league, while taking some very marginal players. She had an extraordinary turnover rate for players for years and alienated many parents.

That's not to say there were not many objective positives, but this does not warrant naming a court housing two programs after her for all time. Now if she had been a true RU loyalist, who was a star outside the four corners of the basketball court, the record standing alone might have been enough. But considering the whole picture, there is no way the court should have been named after her.

The answer is emphatically "NO!" She stepped into a program that had been 434 - 150 under the prior coach and improved the program marginally. And, unlike every other Rutgers program, she was given far more resources to work with than her competition/peers. Over the last nine years the program has actually had a losing record in league, while taking some very marginal players. She had an extraordinary turnover rate for players for years and alienated many parents.

That's not to say there were not many objective positives, but this does not warrant naming a court housing two programs after her for all time. Now if she had been a true RU loyalist, who was a star outside the four corners of the basketball court, the record standing alone might have been enough. But considering the whole picture, there is no way the court should have been named after her.
CVS Court in the RAC arena at the Steve Pikell basketball complex has a nice ring to it. Give it time

I'm not sure if I agree, but I appreciate the courtesy and clarity with which you express your views. (In other words, you didn't just call me a dumb f*ck!)

according to what you think a person meant to a program is the way you feel that person should be honored.
CVS was the face, heart and soul of the RU WBB program for many a year and deserves this honor in my opinion.
If you feel otherwise I'm sure you'll find some that agree with your saying only Championships mean anything when it comes to honoring a programs long time HC that just retired.
And let’s be honest. Very few people care about WBB, even when good. Unless a WBB coach goes Pat Summit and racks up many NCs, probably unnecessary to do such an honor.

She was the face, heart and soul of a lot more than RU WBB. She’s an icon that the university was fortunate enough to have and an important part of our history. She’s an inspiration to many. That’s not to say she was the greatest coach in WBB history, but she was loyal to us, even if our douchiest fans aren’t loyal to her.

People are also forgetting that her contract guarantee was mostly/entirely eliminated this past offseason. Take that for what it’s worth in addition to her on-court resume when thinking about this.

She was the face, heart and soul of a lot more than RU WBB. She’s an icon that the university was fortunate enough to have and an important part of our history. She’s an inspiration to many. That’s not to say she was the greatest coach in WBB history, but she was loyal to us, even if our douchiest fans aren’t loyal to her.
Agree. CViv is a cultural icon. Some people are choosing to ignore this, or are ignorant to it (not surprising). How many national championships did womens soccer win when Carli Lloyd was here? Yet would anyone argue with naming the soccer field after her. Like above said, Rutgers U is lucky to have had her here for so much of her career.

That’s easy, it was the last time Rutgers was willing to pay more than anyone else in the nation for their services and make them the highest paid coach in their sport, while stepping into a program that had gone 434 - 150 under the predecessor coach. I don't know how much "gumption" that takes.
Give me a name of a coach who would do what Stringer did? Bobby Knight? Rick Pitino? Al McGuire? No one.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Give me a name of a coach who would do what Stringer did? Bobby Knight? Rick Pitino? Al McGuire? No one.
What? Take an excellent established program and make it slightly better? LOL.

Sorry, TG did way more for the program than CViv. TG built it up from almost nothing. She also has the only NC banner at the RAC (even though the tourney was disputed).

Theresa Grentz1976–1995434–150156–28
C. Vivian Stringer1995–2022477–267243–136†

Last edited:
What? Take an excellent established program and make it slightly better? LOL.

Sorry, TG did way more for the program than CViv. TG built it up from almost nothing. She also has the only NC banner at the RAC (even though the tourney was disputed).

Theresa Grentz1976–1995434–150156–28
C. Vivian Stringer1995–2022477–267243–136†
So you’re saying Grentz is a better coach than Stringer?

I found a Rivals thread from 2021 with courts named after coaches. May not be a complete list because it's from poster comments. There are six named for coaches who didn't win a national championship.

Gene Keady (Purdue), Eddie Sutton (Oklahoma State), Lou Henson (two courts, Illinois and New Mexico State), Bobby Cremins (Georgia Tech), and Bob King (New Mexico)

The other men's coach names are largely synonymous with their programs.

Pat Summit is the only women's coach on this list. I would say Auriemma's record deserves the honor. Don't know if that has happened.

Courts named for coaches

When’s the last time a Hall of Fame coach had the gumption to give Rutgers the time of day or to consider Rutgers?
The next time we make them the highest paid coach in their profession. That's exactly what Rutgers did for Stringer when they hired her. She did not come here for some holier than thou mission or because she had a soft spot for Rutgers, she came for money.

The next time we make them the highest paid coach in their profession. That's exactly what Rutgers did for Stringer when they hired her. She did not come here for some holier than thou mission or because she had a soft spot for Rutgers, she came for money.
Hall of Fame football and men’s basketball coaches won’t come here for top dollar. Maybe on the way up the coaching ladder, but not once they are established at and near the top.

ADVERTISEMENT