ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb and Cody Martin

How many years did they play at NC State? Any insight as to why they are moving on. Two transfer leave you short next year.

One brother is better than the other but both are worth taking since they are a package deal

They are both supposedly pretty good. The only thing I would worry about is if they both sit out we would only have a maximum number of 11 scholarship players to play next year. We have Diallo and Doorson both returning after sitting out with a broken foot. Hopefully they can both play an entire season next year.

Not sure if you tie up two rides for a year to get these kids on the court for two seasons. I'd like to think that this staff can come up with as good or better 4-year kids in November 2016 and 2017.

if they are good enough players to make impacts for 2 years that are meaningful then by all means go after them hard. I dont care much about next years win/loss record. Its about the future

Both listed at 6-6 forwards. One averaged 11 pts a game while the other averaged 6pts. Both started about half the time. Tying up two schollies for 3 years to get 2 years of eligibility is a big decision. The fact that they both play a similar game is not a plus in that equation versus like when we brought Hughes and Duncan down from Syracuse. If we go this route than I am not sure we bring anything more into the fold for next year other than grad transfers.

I suppose there is always the risk they could sit one season play one and than graduate and go elsewhere as a 5th year graduate student. If that happened we would tie up a scholarship for them for 2 years and only get them to play one year.

I suppose there is always the risk they could sit one season play one and than graduate and go elsewhere as a 5th year graduate student. If that happened we would tie up a scholarship for them for 2 years and only get them to play one year.

Extremely pertinent point. Seems really risky if you put it that way.

Not sure if you tie up two rides for a year to get these kids on the court for two seasons. I'd like to think that this staff can come up with as good or better 4-year kids in November 2016 and 2017.
Yes you do

Looking at their stats from last year, it looks like Caleb has more of an outside game than Cody, but Cody was the better passer (more assists in less minutes). Neither was very good at the free throw line though.

They would also provide two more D1 caliber players to practice against this fall.

RU has taken marginal "Hamburger Helper" players in the past as a way to flesh out a roster -

So here is an opportunity to consider 2 Grade "A" premium quality additions -OK maybe not 'Kobe Beef' / 'Filet Mignon' - but definitely cuts far, far above the norm - Certainly expect that they will be extended every courtesy, given every consideration and if Pikiell senses that there would be synergy - that they want to be a part of a 'team' and are not just looking for a place to showcase themselves - they likely will be pursued with maximum intensity.

Reactions: Scangg
trying to preserve what will be our amazing record next year...NOW it all makes sense.

Disagree. This is the perfect year and setup to do this. We have so many open ships so late in the game, that it is very unlikely we will fill them all with high quality players. Unless the staff feels they can fill those 2 ships with really good 5th year grads (which is highly unlikely), you take the twins.

Disagree. This is the perfect year and setup to do this. We have so many open ships so late in the game, that it is very unlikely we will fill them all with high quality players. Unless the staff feels they can fill those 2 ships with really good 5th year grads (which is highly unlikely), you take the twins.
No qualifiers. You take them

knights1212 makes an excellent point as does scarlet LI.

With any transfer my 1st question is always why are they transferring? I really would rather stick with 4 year players, however we are probably going to have unfilled spots.

I do think with transfers you have to be honest and realistic that there is some probabilitly (40%?) that they use their 5th year to become a free agent.

Also 2 years removed from HS stars or rankings almost need to be discarded.

This is a tough one. Two transfers in one year. A few injuries and we would be down to single digit scholarship players again. Even if the Injuries were short term it would hurt...unless we are able to get some higher level walkons.

I watched some film of them playing at NC State and they are very good. Probably better than any HS players we could get right now or maybe in the fall signing period coming up.

Agreed, that is the potential downside.

I never actually thought about a 2nd transfer. How often has it happened in a normal situation ? ie No coaching change, post season ban, etc.

If it only happens in 1 out of 20 transfers...I think it may be worth the very minimal risk.

Since it will take time to build RU MBB into a winner, maybe giving up a year to wait for the Martin brothers to become eligible to play will be worth it.
But I do have serious doubts about taking on transfers from other programs because can't tell if they were overrated in HS or just need a change of scenery to shine the way they were supposed to coming out of HS..

Caleb averaged 11 pts in 30 minutes while Cody got 6 in 25 a game.So it looks like both might be fairly good additions and worth taking a chance on in this phase of making RU MBB better.
Both averaged around 4.5 rebounds a game.

I really wonder about people sometimes. You take this guys NOW, no questions asked, if they want to come here. SMDH. :chairshot::chairshot::chairshot::chairshot::chairshot:
Rutgers is desperate for a talent upgrade even if it means taking two brothers with one brother far more talented.

ADVERTISEMENT