ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb McConnell 2018 Combo Guard

For those lazy to search. WVU, Wichita, Toledo, Kent, Bonnies are the offers to note. Look like Notre Dame, Dayton and Xavier gave him at least a sniff.

6'5" big guard. Composite rating of an .9040.

this video makes me want this kid. Would be a nice late surprise.

thank you for posting @dpwhite

Last edited by a moderator:
I like his shot. Like RU Choppin, looks like another Geo. Lets sign him up and fill the rest with grad guys.

I like his shot. Like RU Choppin, looks like another Geo. Lets sign him up and fill the rest with grad guys.

IMO, We still need at least 1 hyper fast PG on this roster. I would take a long look at the St. Patrick's guard. Only 5'8, but really fast. Then, the last spot as a Grad Transfer PG.. That gives Pike 2 spots for 2019.

IMO, We still need at least 1 hyper fast PG on this roster. I would take a long look at the St. Patrick's guard. Only 5'8, but really fast. Then, the last spot as a Grad Transfer PG.. That gives Pike 2 spots for 2019.

Smart. Im definitely not against it. I think picking up these longer combo guys wil prove beneficial. I love defense, our D and rebounding was good. Just couldnt shoot/score worth a damn!

Definitely down for some speed to get the ball to these shooters.

Reactions: RU-Choppin-Ohio
This was the player i hinted at but was not going to leak his name over the last couple of weeks....if you are going to go for a combo guard, I'd rather take my chances at 6'6" with extensive range vs 6'2" PG....

I have no idea whether we can land McConnell but he's awfully explosive to me...

This was the player i hinted at but was not going to leak his name over the last couple of weeks....if you are going to go for a combo guard, I'd rather take my chances at 6'6" with extensive range vs 6'2" PG....

I have no idea whether we can land McConnell but he's awfully explosive to me...

I love his height and length and I hope we get him as a combo guard...but, IMO, we still need some real speed at the PG spot this year with one of the three spots.

Reactions: AD888 and Scangg
I’d take him but he has an Issa Thiam like release.
Ha had the exact same thought about his shot. Funky low release but looks smooth and very long. Nice handle. Doesn't seem to be too intense but hoping that's just the "smooth" playing style effect. Doesn't really seem like the gritty hard nosed Pike kind of guy but we do need more offense and this kid looks like he can create and shoot

Yeah, they’ve been keeping an eye on this kid since the new year, it seems.

Reactions: Ray6232010
Still hoping a grad transfer PG/JUCO is in the mix. Or else 2018/2019 is another year at 14.

McConnel has a smooth game. These kids genetically are lucky. With long limbs, you are able to shield the ball that much more and get off an easier shot.

I'd be with you with the need for speed, but 5 8 usually means short arms which kills your release, and ability to get off drives near the basket.

It has to be more than speed.

If you watched the game last night, both teams had guards who could blow by their defenders with just the smallest opening. We need some of that speed from our guards. Is Mulcahy a guy capable of that?

I think I would take McConnell based on his shooting and passing skills and I love the height. If we could somehow land him and Hyatt, I might hold the third scholarship for 2019 so we can give it to Mulcahy or a similar player and leave the other one open to either a big man or a SF like Massoud.

I'd be with you with the need for speed, but 5 8 usually means short arms which kills your release, and ability to get off drives near the basket.

I'll take a Myles Mack type any day. One short fast PG on the roster is not that big of a deal. The St. Pat's guard has a nice offer list and those short fast guys can sometimes drive a defense crazy on the court.

Last edited:

I'll take a Myles Mack type any day. One short fast PG on the roster is not that big of a deal. The St. Pat's guard has a nice offer list and those short fast guys can sometimes drive a defense crazy in stretches on the court.
You talking about Marquis Nowell?

I'll take a Myles Mack type any day. One short fast PG on the roster is not that big of a deal. The St. Pat's guard has a nice offer list and those short fast guys can sometimes drive a defense crazy on the court.
Only so many scholarships. It’s a higher risk. He’ll be seeing kids that Te 6 9 on a regular basis. That was never the case in hs. Is he a Myles Mack? Myles Mack was short but the best shooter in the past five years.

As a 3rd guard off the bench playing 10-20 MPG. Winning in this conference requires more than a guy who can make a perimeter shot.

Great point. I saw Strickland didn't recommit to Rutgers, lol.

Ok and your point? It was a wishful thinking prediction from a fan. AND, I'm sure they have not just rolled over...probably still letting him know that the PG spot is open for him to take.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT