ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb McConnell signs NIL deal with Knights of The Raritan

RUJON

All Conference
Gold Member
Jun 23, 2001
Apologies for not posting this here sooner. Here are the details of the NIL deal Caleb signed with KTR.

Thanks, Jon

Caleb McConnell Signs NIL Deal with Knights of The Raritan

Agreement will last through 2022-2023 basketball season

PISCATAWAY, NJ (June 1, 2022) – Knights of The Raritan (KTR) and Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and Rutgers men’s basketball senior Caleb McConnell today announced a partnership for the 2022-2023 athletics year. The 6-foot-7 Scarlet Knights senior will return to “The Banks” for a fifth season, while also inking a 10-month deal with KTR for in-person appearances, social media posts and other activations.

McConnell was an integral part of Rutgers’ first back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances since the 1970s, and was the first Scarlet Knight to win defensive conference player of the year since 2010.

The 2021-2022 Big Ten steals leader enjoyed two breakout games in RU’s NCAA appearances, netting 23 points and 11 rebounds in the Scarlet Knights’ First Four game vs. Notre Dame in 2022, and 13 points and 10 rebounds vs. Clemson in Rutgers’ first NCAA win in 38 years in 2021.

The Jacksonville, Florida native was a high school standout in Ohio before enjoying a college career at Rutgers in which he has steadily improved statistically each season. McConnell earned a BA in Africana Studies from Rutgers in May 2022 after declaring for the NBA Draft following the NCAA Tournament.

In returning to Rutgers, McConnell adds another veteran member to a starting lineup that also brings back center Cliff Omoruyi and point guard Paul Mulcahy.

I’m excited to be coming back for my final year and once again help lead Rutgers to the NCAA tournament,” said Caleb McConnell. “I’m also ready to work with Knights of The Raritan to promote NIL opportunities at Rutgers’ student athletes. They have a lot of great things planned for members and fans and I can’t wait to be a part of it.”

“We’re thrilled that Caleb is returning and that he will be collaborating with Knights of The Raritan to help educate fans and raise awareness of NIL opportunities available to Rutgers student athletes,” Jon Newman, Knights of The Raritan president said. “We’re excited that our members will get to meet Caleb at KTR events this upcoming athletics year and look forward to more NIL announcements in the coming weeks and months.”

McConnell’s partnership with Knights of The Raritan is effective immediately and will run through the end of March 2023.

Apologies for not posting this here sooner. Here are the details of the NIL deal Caleb signed with KTR.

Thanks, Jon

PISCATAWAY, NJ (June 1, 2022) – Knights of The Raritan (KTR) and Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and Rutgers men’s basketball senior Caleb McConnell today announced a partnership for the 2022-2023 athletics year. The 6-foot-7 Scarlet Knights senior will return to “The Banks” for a fifth season, while also inking a 10-month deal with KTR for in-person appearances, social media posts and other activations.

McConnell was an integral part of Rutgers’ first back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances since the 1970s, and was the first Scarlet Knight to win defensive conference player of the year since 2010.

The 2021-2022 Big Ten steals leader enjoyed two breakout games in RU’s NCAA appearances, netting 23 points and 11 rebounds in the Scarlet Knights’ First Four game vs. Notre Dame in 2022, and 13 points and 10 rebounds vs. Clemson in Rutgers’ first NCAA win in 38 years in 2021.

The Jacksonville, Florida native was a high school standout in Ohio before enjoying a college career at Rutgers in which he has steadily improved statistically each season. McConnell earned a BA in Africana Studies from Rutgers in May 2022 after declaring for the NBA Draft following the NCAA Tournament.

In returning to Rutgers, McConnell adds another veteran member to a starting lineup that also brings back center Cliff Omoruyi and point guard Paul Mulcahy.

I’m excited to be coming back for my final year and once again help lead Rutgers to the NCAA tournament,” said Caleb McConnell. “I’m also ready to work with Knights of The Raritan to promote NIL opportunities at Rutgers’ student athletes. They have a lot of great things planned for members and fans and I can’t wait to be a part of it.”

“We’re thrilled that Caleb is returning and that he will be collaborating with Knights of The Raritan to help educate fans and raise awareness of NIL opportunities available to Rutgers student athletes,” Jon Newman, Knights of The Raritan president said. “We’re excited that our members will get to meet Caleb at KTR events this upcoming athletics year and look forward to more NIL announcements in the coming weeks and months.”

McConnell’s partnership with Knights of The Raritan is effective immediately and will run through the end of March 2023.
This is great!

So......is everyone okay with NIL now?

Between helping get Caleb to return and getting Wimsatt to enroll early, not sure what people are going to complain about now.

So......is everyone okay with NIL now?

Between helping get Caleb to return and getting Wimsatt to enroll early, not sure what people are going to complain about now.
Not me. We are no longer watching amateur sports. Wait until what next summer year looks like.

Are we going to like it when Kentucky fans offer Cliff $3,000,000 to play for them next year? What kind of a team can be built for $30,000,000?

I hate this and trust me Rutgers will not come out better in this world.

I think it’s important to circle back to geo’s comments in the Miami thread about acknowledging the good and the bad with NIL. This seems like a home run for everyone. Caleb gets to play an additional season in a familiar environment, somewhat near family, as opposed to some sketchy B-league in Europe. Rutgers gets some roster stability and gives thanks to a loyal son.

I think it’s important to circle back to geo’s comments in the Miami thread about acknowledging the good and the bad with NIL. This seems like a home run for everyone. Caleb gets to play an additional season in a familiar environment, somewhat near family, as opposed to some sketchy B-league in Europe. Rutgers gets some roster stability and gives thanks to a loyal son.
A monetary value has now been assigned to Caleb McConnell's senior year. Every player on the Rutgers roster should be thinking about their value to the program and be asking KTR to get a deal that is fair. They are professional athletes and if their teammates are getting paid they should too.

I hope the "heroes" that are paying these players to play realize they control the direction of the program and quite frankly coaches will soon be grossly overpaid .

Not me. We are no longer watching amateur sports. Wait until what next summer year looks like.

Are we going to like it when Kentucky fans offer Cliff $3,000,000 to play for them next year? What kind of a team can be built for $30,000,000?

Kentucky or anyone else could have done so this off-season.

Reactions: needmorecowbell
A monetary value has now been assigned to Caleb McConnell's senior year. Every player on the Rutgers roster should be thinking about their value to the program and be asking KTR to get a deal that is fair. They are professional athletes and if their teammates are getting paid they should too.

I hope the "heroes" that are paying these players to play realize they control the direction of the program and quite frankly coaches will soon be grossly overpaid .
There are lots of problems with NIL, but Caleb’s deal is a symbol of the complete opposite of those issues. He’s a kid whose built a legitimate brand for himself at Rutgers over 4 seasons. He brought home the first ever major conference award. He could’ve played in Europe - this NIL deal is basically an insurance policy for giving that up for a year. He wasn’t shopping around the transfer portal for the best available NiL deal. He worked straight with our crew and is getting paid to participate in things that appeal to a paying fan base. What’s the problem with it?

He is getting paid to play and there is now a monetary value assigned to him.

If this is OK why not just come out and pay him and have him sign a contract to play basketball for Rutgers?

There is nothing wrong with what he is doing. I have a problem replacing college sports with paid professional athletes. There are other professional leagues that talented players can play.

He is getting paid to play and there is now a monetary value assigned to him.

If this is OK why not just come out and pay him and have him sign a contract to play basketball for Rutgers?

There is nothing wrong with what he is doing. I have a problem replacing college sports with paid professional athletes. There are other professional leagues that talented players can play.
He’s not being paid to play though. He’s being paid to show up and have his name branded to events that people are paying for because his brand has legitimate value that’s been built over 4 years. It’s not the same as paying an incoming frosh nobody knows 700k to put their face on some random product.

He is getting paid to play. Plain and simple.
No he's not. He's being paid to perform services that have value to KTR. I don't understand how you don't get the difference between 1) being paid to play, and 2) being paid a certain value, because you play and have a following, for services that you will render later on. There's a world of difference between the two... it's not nuance.

He is getting paid to play. Plain and simple.
He’s being paid because his brand is of interest - and it’s worth money for people to attend functions that he’s at. in large part that interest is because he will be wearing a Rutgers uniform next season. But he’s being paid a legitimately negotiated price to render services that are going to generate revenue that cover what he earns. That isn’t the same as being paid to play.

A high school kid nobody in Miami has heard of or out of town transfer getting paid for their image on an advertisement for a random product is being paid to play basketball. The advertising is bogus. It’s not bringing in revenue.

Reactions: wkbrdr3448
No he's not. He's being paid to perform services that have value to KTR. I don't understand how you don't get the difference between 1) being paid to play, and 2) being paid a certain value, because you play and have a following, for services that you will render later on. There's a world of difference between the two... it's not nuance.
What do you expect your return on investment to be in dollars? Is your organization going to lose money on this endorsement deal or make money on this endorsement deal?

Reactions: LETSGORU91
So there is a return on investment? Dividends?

c’mon people are donating money to KTR predominantly for production on the court or the field.

What do you expect your return on investment to be in dollars? Is your organization going to lose money on this endorsement deal or make money on this endorsement deal?
Well, knowing that we are not a profit based organization, it’s kind of hard to calculate IRRs and ROI simply based on the qualifiers you stipulate. Lol. There’s both tangible and intangible value to having him attend member events, do signings, and promote the KTR brand… so yes, there’s positive ROI. Some would argue that just the discussion alone regarding his value, partnership with KTR, and return to RU is already providing return on our investment…

Reactions: MADHAT1
So there is a return on investment? Dividends?

c’mon people are donating money to KTR predominantly for production on the court or the field.
False. There are membership benefits and tiers based on membership. You can go to our website and see what those benefits are. Sure, members are contributing with the goal of supporting student athletes - but the two are not mutually exclusive.

False. There are membership benefits and tiers based on membership. You can go to our website and see what those benefits are. Sure, members are contributing with the goal of supporting student athletes - but the two are not mutually exclusive.
Supporting = paying

The student athletes deserve to see some of the revenue that is generating because of them. This isn’t the way.

i 100% get these are the rules and what KTR is necessary to exist. I don’t have to like it.

Reactions: motorb54
Supporting = paying

The student athletes deserve to see some of the revenue that is generating because of them. This isn’t the way.

i 100% get these are the rules and what KTR is necessary to exist. I don’t have to like it.
Now that you edited and added to your comment, I will further add and be less crass. I don't disagree with your changes. I don't love the broad NIL construct as it exists. If you see NIL as having two silos, one good (what KTR is focused on) and one bad (what you see at Miami)...I wish there was a way for the NCAA to limit the bad. I do see that silo as having negative long term impacts to all of college sports. Hopefully there will be something that curbs it. Until then, schools will operate with the existence of both. And... KTR will focus on the good. Which is NOT pay to play. But to help athletes monetize legitimate value from their NILs.

Supporting = paying

Dude, I hope you realize that you whine about this......A LOT.....maybe even surpassing the NBA level of complaining.

Essentially you are saying teams like Kentucky with powerful boosters will continue to get all the good players they want? I really don't understand your point except to the extent that your own personal principles are making you lobby against something that is now legally out in the open ...... but those same principles appeared to have blinders on for similar things that happen (or used to happen) behind closed doors. Do you think it's just a coincidence that essentially the same programs are continually bringing in high level or one & done types every year or get primo transfers on a whim - even regardless of the coaches or team's record the previous year? This has been going on for decades.

You are also saying that this will mean the demise of Rutgers sports longer term. I would ask that except for the past 5 years......where has Rutgers basketball been over the past 35+ years under the old set of rules?

I don't also recall you whining non-stop about Coach's salaries. Who (in response to your other post) are already grossly overpaid and have been for some time.

i agree with almost everything you say.

A month ago I laid out the stages that has led us to this point. Coaching salaires were a stage. Paying players was the last stage. very hard to argue that players shouldnt get paid but the coaches make millions.

i did put on blinders to players getting paid.

i am whining because I love college basketball and love going to all the games. i also have skin in the game as a parent of a D1 olympic athlete

Thanks, Jon

Good job Jon.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Supporting has always equaled paying even before nil

Exactly.
"Rose by any other name, would smell as sweet."
$$ given to Athletic Department or directly to a team who then uses it buy things for players.
NIL just cuts out the AD.

Can't you endow a scholarship?
That is literally paying for a specific players college education.
It's not even the usual "donations are different because they benefit all players."

That's the funny part about NIL. Players aren't being paid to play. But they are obtaining deals from all over the place for their likeness. And this is determining what teams they will play for. So it is a round about way to pay players to play. Everyone should be able to decipher this pretty damn easily. I'm glad Caleb is coming back, but I don't support NIL. It's already being abused and it will only get worse. May the best teams buy their players...err, I mean have someone find deals good enough to pay the players for rendering whatever services they will provide now or in the future. It will be interesting to see if teams like Rutgers will be able to keep pace with the Blue Bloods and high donor schools.

Reactions: rufeelinit
That's the funny part about NIL. Players aren't being paid to play. But they are obtaining deals from all over the place for their likeness. And this is determining what teams they will play for. So it is a round about way to pay players to play. Everyone should be able to decipher this pretty damn easily. I'm glad Caleb is coming back, but I don't support NIL. It's already being abused and it will only get worse. May the best teams buy their players...err, I mean have someone find deals good enough to pay the players for rendering whatever services they will provide now or in the future. It will be interesting to see if teams like Rutgers will be able to keep pace with the Blue Bloods and high donor schools.

So donors are giving money to an Athletic Department...err...an NIL collective that is in turn routing that money to directly benefit players.....

Sounds exactly like all the "high donor school" arguments we've always had. About schools getting more donations from alumni than Rutgers.

Maybe conferences should start pooling donor AD contributions and evenly distribute.
Why should OSU benefit from having a "high donor" alumni base while other schools can't?

Last edited:
i agree with almost everything you say.

A month ago I laid out the stages that has led us to this point. Coaching salaires were a stage. Paying players was the last stage. very hard to argue that players shouldnt get paid but the coaches make millions.

i did put on blinders to players getting paid.

i am whining because I love college basketball and love going to all the games. i also have skin in the game as a parent of a D1 olympic athlete

Congrats on your kid ......lots of hard work, very difficult and impressive. As I've gotten older my own formula is to try and maintain focus on the positive and things in my control. Admittedly it doesn't always work perfectly LOL....but at the end of the day - basketball is entertainment that I really enjoy - from my Kid's team to RU right up to the NBA. So much easier to focus on the enjoyment factors rather than the misery index. Life is much too short.

Well, knowing that we are not a profit based organization, it’s kind of hard to calculate IRRs and ROI simply based on the qualifiers you stipulate. Lol. There’s both tangible and intangible value to having him attend member events, do signings, and promote the KTR brand… so yes, there’s positive ROI. Some would argue that just the discussion alone regarding his value, partnership with KTR, and return to RU is already providing return on our investment…
Well ... if you are knowingly entering into an endorsement deal where you are certain you will lose money ... then you're paying the player to play. Corporations pay money to celebrities to endorse their product (to feature in advertisements and to make public appearances) because they believe it will generate even more money for the corporation.

Last edited:
I mean, it's in the name... NIL (Name Image and Likeness). That's the basis of compensation and the main point of all this... giving players the right to capitalize on their NIL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT