ADVERTISEMENT

Cali/Lacrosse folks-Info for a kid who wants to play Div 1

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
There is a Dad on the other Rutgers site who has a son at Parkland High School In Pa. Class of 2022 who wants to play Division 1 lacrosse. So far they have heard from Division 2 Chestnut Hill. His name is Matt Barraco and is a very good faceoff kid. How does he get his name out there? Here are some highlights against Division 1 2021 Commits.

@Caliknight

His Dad says he won 74 percent face offs this Summer on two Showcase All Star teams, including Apex 60 with Joe Nardella.

Kids need to find the right club to play for...summer clubs. Frankly that is critical to the recruiting process. It's the clubs job and mission (should be) to put their kids in a position to get exposure. A good club will be run by guys that have multiple connections at high levels in D1...and frankly at all levels. There are great D3 opportunities out there for kids as well. As a priority, your friend should be pressing his club coaches about how they are helping him get exposure to help them get opportunities in the recruiting cycle.

The entire process is very tricky and you can waste thousands of dollars playing in meaningless all star prospect days, showcases, etc...in most cases, those events are a waste of money.

Play for the better clubs that play in events that have strong attendance from college coaches...that is really how you get noticed.

The final idea and I'm not huge on this, but it can work...if your friends kid has a school or two he is very interested in, I would suggest they attend the prospect day at that school. In many ways, these are also money grabs, but it could be a way to get noticed...

One final point...if you are really getting recruited...you (the kid) will know it...coaches will get the cell number, email and you will get personal notes...not form letters...I mean real notes and texts...

A guy that really knows about this is @rufamily I would trust his thoughts on this subject as well.

With all that said...my biggest comment or tip is that you should align with a club program that promotes kids, has connections and plays at the best events....that's how you get noticed

My two boys played for Juiced Cherries out of Michigan (run by two Long Island guys with massive connections)...they were instrumental in my two sons ending up playing for Rutgers and Loyola...Rutgers now has three Juiced Cherries products on the roster

Cherries did a nice job of helping kids navigate the process...they made kids fill out school profiles, asked them early on to look at schools specifically for academics, then location, and then for the overall lacrosse program...this helped kids narrow down schools that were aligned with the reality of skill level, location, and what they wanted to study...this is the kind of stuff good clubs do for their kids....clubs cost a lot of money...that's what you're paying for IMO

Last edited:
Good stuff Golfer - Juiced Cherries is a top club.
They have been building...but it starts with good people and good families and kids...

Bottom line is accountability...starts with the kid. If he has the desire, the work ethic and of course the talent...then the right coaching and club can help find that kid the right fit for college...no two situations are the same...

I think all anyone ever wants is for kids to find the right fit so they can excel and be happy...

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Golfer, not a friend, just a guy on the other Rutgers site hoping his kid gets a D 1 offer. He doesn’t mention what club team his kid is on. Said the coach of the team is from Loyola and that his kid was also on Apex 60 All Star team led by Rutgers ‘ Joe Nardella. He said he has been told offers for Class of 2022 kids will come slower due to corona.

Golfer, not a friend, just a guy on the other Rutgers site hoping his kid gets a D 1 offer. He doesn’t mention what club team his kid is on. Said the coach of the team is from Loyola and that his kid was also on Apex 60 All Star team led by Rutgers ‘ Joe Nardella. He said he has been told offers for Class of 2022 kids will come slower due to corona.
Gotcha...with regards to your last sentance...that is spot on...recruiting is gonna be tough, if we don't have a season in 21, rosters will be IMO in complete flux...it's going to certainly impact the 22's. If the kid is good, my guess is he's gonna find his way to an offer or two or more...if he's on a good club team playing in the right fall events, he will get noticed...one other note...D1 coaches were not allowed to attend any events this summer...itvwas a dead period...that really hurt these kids...

As @Golfer2019 said this whole Pandemic has turned the recruiting world upside down and this kid plays a position that gets only one kid recruited per school. I was speaking with a couple of coaches over the past few days and it seems like the cancellation of the season in 2020 could have ripple effects for 3-5 years.

The short answer is simple he needs to target specific schools that he likes that he thinks he could play at, send them film and contact them. D1 schools are in a dead period so there are no visits and no play days. most if not all Big Ten and ACC schools have already targeted there 2022 FOGO as have most of the Ivies and Big East. Having said that many of them will miss on there top selection and be looking for a kid.

It looks like he plays for Dukes which is a good Philly program and works out with the FOA guys, he needs those guys to advocate for him and his family needs to have a straight forward conversation about his ability and create a list of schools that he could play at plus a list of D3 schools that he could go to and play. There are only about 30 really competitive D1 schools and the rest could be a toss up with the better D3 schools.

This player needs to be an active advocate for himself and he needs to measure his desire to be a D1 player with the schools that may be interested. I have seen far too many kids simply chasing the D1 dream and taking opportunities at D1 schools that were actually ill fitting for them as schools.

each recruiting process is different and he should not compare his process to anyone else's

Reactions: Golfer2019
Kids need to find the right club to play for...summer clubs. Frankly that is critical to the recruiting process. It's the clubs job and mission (should be) to put their kids in a position to get exposure. A good club will be run by guys that have multiple connections at high levels in D1...and frankly at all levels. There are great D3 opportunities out there for kids as well. As a priority, your friend should be pressing his club coaches about how they are helping him get exposure to help them get opportunities in the recruiting cycle.

The entire process is very tricky and you can waste thousands of dollars playing in meaningless all star prospect days, showcases, etc...in most cases, those events are a waste of money.

Play for the better clubs that play in events that have strong attendance from college coaches...that is really how you get noticed.

The final idea and I'm not huge on this, but it can work...if your friends kid has a school or two he is very interested in, I would suggest they attend the prospect day at that school. In many ways, these are also money grabs, but it could be a way to get noticed...

One final point...if you are really getting recruited...you (the kid) will know it...coaches will get the cell number, email and you will get personal notes...not form letters...I mean real notes and texts...

A guy that really knows about this is @rufamily I would trust his thoughts on this subject as well.

With all that said...my biggest comment or tip is that you should align with a club program that promotes kids, has connections and plays at the best events....that's how you get noticed

My two boys played for Juiced Cherries out of Michigan (run by two Long Island guys with massive connections)...they were instrumental in my two sons ending up playing for Rutgers and Loyola...Rutgers now has three Juiced Cherries products on the roster

Cherries did a nice job of helping kids navigate the process...they made kids fill out school profiles, asked them early on to look at schools specifically for academics, then location, and then for the overall lacrosse program...this helped kids narrow down schools that were aligned with the reality of skill level, location, and what they wanted to study...this is the kind of stuff good clubs do for their kids....clubs cost a lot of money...that's what you're paying for IMO
This is the problem with lacrosse. You have to have alot of money to gain access to it. I am glad my son plays at Montclair HS under an excellent high school coach, Mike Diehl who does all the things listed above and has great contacts to boot. The club system is really just a money grab and a way to keep control over who gets to play lacrosse. Club lacrosse sucks, playing 5 games in day against opponents you don't know in front of small crowds who don't really know you. Can't compare to playing in front of your community against a rival high school.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
This is the problem with lacrosse. You have to have alot of money to gain access to it. I am glad my son plays at Montclair HS under an excellent high school coach, Mike Diehl who does all the things listed above and has great contacts to boot. The club system is really just a money grab and a way to keep control over who gets to play lacrosse. Club lacrosse sucks, playing 5 games in day against opponents you don't know in front of small crowds who don't really know you. Can't compare to playing in front of your community against a rival high school.
Depends on the area and situation...again, one size does not fit all

Club and actual high school teams are a completely different animals and are not really comparable

I agree, the high school experience is much more community based, you are playing with classmates, kids you grew up with and you are playing for local, league and state titles...with all the rivalry cache in place...spring season high school lacrosse is great...and it's far better from those metrics than club...can't argue that...never did...

However club has its place...again, if your with the right club, many will offer scholarships to kids that might not have the cash for fees...and yes, it's expensive in some cases...but it still is where many kids get looks...are their bad clubs that don't do anything for the kids...sure. But summer club is about additional training, additional reps, and if you're good enough, getting exposure at events...it certainly is not better than high school...but it serves a specific and very different purpose.

You're lucky...you have good high school coaching...you're also on the east coast where exposure is easy or easier...lots of college coaches based there, high school is thought to be at a higher level say than in the Midwest or Southeast...but unless youre planted in Long Island, or NJ/ out state NY, or Baltimore, DC, eastern PA...it's not possible to get exposure in high school games...it's just not...you need to travel east in the summer to get exposure...and in many cases get to play better competition which make kids better...summer lacrosse helped my kids exponentially...and I don't run a club, I don't have unlimited funds to blow on lacrosse...but the money we spent paid off in spades...but again, not every situation is the same...and yes, I've learned a lot on the way...we blew money, made mistakes...but we found the right people to help...

Sounds like you had/have a good high school situation that did what you needed...that's not the case for many...

We had a good high school situation, but let's just say it wasn't because of the coaching...we had loads of talent...the kids knew how to play...period.

The biggest joke in lacrosse IMO is holding kids back or "re-classification" of grade year or "PG years" to get a competitive advantage...we don't really do that in the Midwest...we get a kick out of looking at ages of players...love the 19.5 year old college freshman...a lot easier to look better when your playing kids younger than you...not something I subscribe too...at all...but again, different area, different values...different approach and opinion...

I like that the new IL rankings will start showing birth dates of kids...it's telling, and it will be fun to see the true age of some of these kids...

So I hear ya on the club stuff...it's not high school...no doubt, but in the right situations, it has its place, and fills a void...

Great insights in this thread. @rufamily you elaborate on what the IL ranking is and where it applies. My son is starting his second season of club and we often joke on the sideline about some of the "12 year olds" playing.

Great insights in this thread. @rufamily you elaborate on what the IL ranking is and where it applies. My son is starting his second season of club and we often joke on the sideline about some of the "12 year olds" playing.
I am not sure what exactly you mean but, if you are referring to the new 2022 rankings that are including birth year, that is an acknowledgment of some of what @RUMountie and @Golfer2019 were talking about in regards to kids either reclassifying or being held back. On the club scene, it is commonplace to see kids being held back by their club team, not so much in NJ but as you go North it happens more. I will give you one example. In the 2022 recruiting class Inside Lacrosse has one goalie ranked in the top 10 he has a 2002 birthday which means that he was held back a year and then repeated his 10th-grade year at his current school. that specific player was the same grade as my son and went to several of the same events, but then his parents felt it would be better for him to reclass into the 2022 class. You can get angry if you want but, it worked for him as he went from a good prospect to a top 10 kid with the help of re-classifying.

Rankings in lacrosse are not like they are in football where you have multiple people seeing and evaluating these kids and coming up with a composite ranking. Generally, lacrosse rankings are being done by 1 guy, who works really hard but he can not possibly evaluate anything but a small fraction of the kids playing. Most lacrosse players are never ranked or evaluated and frankly, the 2021 class is probably the most under-evaluated class in the last 10 years, (not my words but the opinions of college coaches that I have spoken to). Remember that the 2021's were the first class in which the D1 coaches could not contact them until 9/1 of there junior year and then they all had they junior spring wiped away and the summer season was marginal at best and a waste for most kids.

Sorry I am not sure that I answered your question. If I did not let me know exactly what you are asking and I will try and help.

I am not sure what exactly you mean but, if you are referring to the new 2022 rankings that are including birth year, that is an acknowledgment of some of what @RUMountie and @Golfer2019 were talking about in regards to kids either reclassifying or being held back. On the club scene, it is commonplace to see kids being held back by their club team, not so much in NJ but as you go North it happens more. I will give you one example. In the 2022 recruiting class Inside Lacrosse has one goalie ranked in the top 10 he has a 2002 birthday which means that he was held back a year and then repeated his 10th-grade year at his current school. that specific player was the same grade as my son and went to several of the same events, but then his parents felt it would be better for him to reclass into the 2022 class. You can get angry if you want but, it worked for him as he went from a good prospect to a top 10 kid with the help of re-classifying.

Rankings in lacrosse are not like they are in football where you have multiple people seeing and evaluating these kids and coming up with a composite ranking. Generally, lacrosse rankings are being done by 1 guy, who works really hard but he can not possibly evaluate anything but a small fraction of the kids playing. Most lacrosse players are never ranked or evaluated and frankly, the 2021 class is probably the most under-evaluated class in the last 10 years, (not my words but the opinions of college coaches that I have spoken to). Remember that the 2021's were the first class in which the D1 coaches could not contact them until 9/1 of there junior year and then they all had they junior spring wiped away and the summer season was marginal at best and a waste for most kids.

Sorry I am not sure that I answered your question. If I did not let me know exactly what you are asking and I will try and help.
You did. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I didn't know IL was the organization recording the birth dates for prospects. Boy I would love to have that info in the youth leagues. In Pop Warner, even in the playoffs, weigh ins and birth certificates are a shady business unfortunately.

Reactions: RUMountie

An increased amount of reclassing is happening these days especially with the lost Spring 2020 high school season here in the NY Metro area. I totally agree about the lack of real evaluations that is happening with lacrosse prospects. Some players get hyped up just by being placed on certain club teams when they are maxed out athletically and they get by on their stick skills and the status associated with their club team. Also, there are many players (many of who are multi-sport athletes and actually have much more upside for a college program) that get missed who aren't on the high profile clubs or don't even play club ball at all. If I were a college coach I would be watching a fair amount of high school football, basketball, soccer, etc. games in addition to going to club tournaments.

I'm a big fan of multi sport guys...

You can take an athlete and make him a lacrosse player...you can't take a lacrosse player and make him an athlete...if I'm a coach, I'm looking for big, fast athletes with high ceilings...of course kids have to be skilled players, but you can coach skill...you can't coach a kid to have size and speed (natural)

I'm also not looking for the kid that is shaving in 8th/9th grade...I'm looking for the kid that is more of a late bloomer that you can tell is just starting on an upward trajectory...much higher ceilings on those kids IMO...

The recruiting rule changes have favored the late bloomer and have actually helped the coaches not get sucked into the stud 9th grader that was fully grown and dominating everyone in 8th and 9th grade...it's actually helped kids and coaches...more time to see kids grow and develop...

In any sport, you want kids that have not fully grown and have the frame to expand...its all about trajectory...

Recruiting is a tough deal...very hard for both the coaches and kids. Coaches miss and kids over and under achieve...glad I don't have to do it....

I know Brian really looks for kids that play multiple sports. Lax guys only seem not to do as well as other athletes at RU. Looking at the recruit list, many play other sports.

OP- have him send his video into the staff. I am sure that will get seen at a minimum.

I know Brian really looks for kids that play multiple sports. Lax guys only seem not to do as well as other athletes at RU. Looking at the recruit list, many play other sports.

OP- have him send his video into the staff. I am sure that will get seen at a minimum.
Most schools are looking for Multi sport kids. Have him add others sports that he played to the end of his highlight video and if he is a starter or was All anything add that as well.
Ok he’s are watching a ton of film right now so he should contact them directly and send the film to the coach in charge of the faceoff kids. I believe 7-8 Fogo are already off the board so he is going to need to do this quickly

One minor quibble regarding holdbacks and PGs. Holding back a 10th grader solely for lax is one thing. However, a PG year for academic reasons is something different. If the kid is motivated it's a double advantage, particularly for Ivies and service academies. My old prep school for over 30 years has had 1 or 2 USNA PGs a year along with an occasional Ivy. Works well for both. Deerfield up in Mass. seems to be a top Ivy PG destination

2 side notes. It was interesting to get an alumni magazine and read about a former lax player flying combat off a carrier in the Gulf War. And for an older guy like me, reading about a former lax teammate (non-PG) commanding an air craft carrier during Enduring Freedom in 2001. Second, for the young man who was the subject of this tread, having Nardella as a coach explains the faceoffs.

That was good of you Cali. I asked the Dad if he has been hearing from schools, but I didn’t get a reply back.

One minor quibble regarding holdbacks and PGs. Holding back a 10th grader solely for lax is one thing. However, a PG year for academic reasons is something different. If the kid is motivated it's a double advantage, particularly for Ivies and service academies. My old prep school for over 30 years has had 1 or 2 USNA PGs a year along with an occasional Ivy. Works well for both. Deerfield up in Mass. seems to be a top Ivy PG destination

2 side notes. It was interesting to get an alumni magazine and read about a former lax player flying combat off a carrier in the Gulf War. And for an older guy like me, reading about a former lax teammate (non-PG) commanding an air craft carrier during Enduring Freedom in 2001. Second, for the young man who was the subject of this tread, having Nardella as a coach explains the faceoffs.
There has been a lot of impressive men that have gone through the RU lax program. A lot.

Reactions: Golfer2019
There is a Dad on the other Rutgers site who has a son at Parkland High School In Pa. Class of 2022 who wants to play Division 1 lacrosse. So far they have heard from Division 2 Chestnut Hill. His name is Matt Barraco and is a very good faceoff kid. How does he get his name out there? Here are some highlights against Division 1 2021 Commits.

@Caliknight
If he’s at Dukes, he’s getting exposure. I think only d3 can talk to kids before junior year. That rule just changed in the last year. Between Parkland (Biggest public school in lehigh Valley) and Dukes, he’ll get more calls if he’s a top Fogo. A buddy of mines kid is at Lehigh (he played rising sons and southern lehigh) in the same conference, he was a top FOGO 2 years ago and got lots of exposure.
There are some great clinics and NXT runs a bunch at the proving grounds (where Villanova U plays) he should consider.

Update from Mr Barraco. He mentioned on another Rutgers site that Rutgers has reached out to the family. Cool !

@Caliknight
Kid just committed to Harvard. Congrats to the family

ADVERTISEMENT