ADVERTISEMENT

Call me crazy but ....

RUTrack94

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 16, 2008
just like the Miami game when Gary became coach, I think Ash knows the weaknesses of OSU and RU plays a very competitive game.

I hear what your saying and agree that we do have a bigger bullet in the talent gun compared to then but I think we still need an elephant gun type bandolier (plus really good aim - coaching) for it to happen.

OP. From your mouth/words to God's ears. Like E5 said though - I don't think we are nearly deep enough talent wise yet...
Would love for it to be a 1 TD differential.

During pre-game, Ash will need to rally the troops and get the squad motivated. Play with a chip on their shoulder. He should cap it off by being the one to lead his captains to mid-field for the coin-toss, only to then drop his pants and lay down a few buckeyes of his own on the Ohio State logo.

I hear what your saying and agree that we do have a bigger bullet in the talent gun compared to then but I think we still need an elephant gun type bandolier (plus really good aim - coaching) for it to happen.
It's possible. Jay Niemann was DC at NIU for four years through 2015.
NIU took Ohio State to the wire last year, losing 20-13.
NIU's recruiting:
2010- #93--24 recruits, no 5 or 4 stars, eight 3 stars.
2011- #94--22 recruits, no 5 or 4 stars, two 3 stars.
2012- #107--30 recruits, no 5 or 4 stars, three 3 stars.
2013- #101--26 recruits, no 5 or 4 stars, eight 3 stars.
2014- #98-- 31 recruits, no 5 or 4 stars, four 3 stars.

In 2014, NIU beat Northwestern at Northwestern.
In 2013, NIU beat Iowa and crushed Purdue 55-24
Their 2008 and 2009 classes did not rank in the top 100.

Coaching matters. Our talent level is not below NIU.

Yeah, you're crazy. The only question is whether Meyer takes it easy on the fruit from his coaching tree.

Reactions: Purple-Ed
It's possible. Jay Niemann was DC at NIU for four years through 2015.
NIU took Ohio State to the wire last year, losing 20-13.
NIU's recruiting:
2010- #93--24 recruits, no 5 or 4 stars, eight 3 stars.
2011- #94--22 recruits, no 5 or 4 stars, two 3 stars.
2012- #107--30 recruits, no 5 or 4 stars, three 3 stars.
2013- #101--26 recruits, no 5 or 4 stars, eight 3 stars.
2014- #98-- 31 recruits, no 5 or 4 stars, four 3 stars.

In 2014, NIU beat Northwestern at Northwestern.
In 2013, NIU beat Iowa and crushed Purdue 55-24
Their 2008 and 2009 classes did not rank in the top 100.

Coaching matters. Our talent level is not below NIU.

NIU is the very rare exception, not the rule. Will people ever understand that they're citing the 1 or 2% of the time when a team with 2 and 3 star talent played up to the top 25 teams? For every NIU, I can bring up 45 teams with the same or even better talent, many with exceptional coaching, that would have gotten destroyed by Ohio St, including us. 95% of the time, even if we coach equal or even better than OSU, we still lose.

Need more talent in order to avoid always trying to be the 1% exception against the big boys.

Reactions: drewbagel423
Well the Miami game of which you speak was in GS's second year and it was at home. It was a noon start and rather chilly in the shade that day for early November and we caught them napping. Needless to say the 2001 game at Miami was ugly. So maybe next year we can hope to play them close in our building.

Last edited:
Reactions: cicero grimes
Well the Miami game of which you speak was in GS's second year and it was at home. It was a noon start and rather chilly in the shade that day for early November and we caught them napping. Needless to say the 2001 game at Miami was ugly. So maybe next year we can hope to play them close in our building.

I was at that game. It was magic for 3 quarters. Jeremy Schockey was a rookie with the Giants. He was on the Miami sideline (back then the away team was opposite the press box.) I remember the RU crowd heckling him all game and he finally turned around and flipped everyone off.

I was at that game. It was magic for 3 quarters. Jeremy Schockey was a rookie with the Giants. He was on the Miami sideline (back then the away team was opposite the press box.) I remember the RU crowd heckling him all game and he finally turned around and flipped everyone off.

Yeah, we were sitting right behind the Miami bench. They looked cold and uninterested most of the day. It may have even been an 11AM kickoff. It was far from the coldest I've ever been in that stadium but it was a crisp morning and in the shade it was chilly, especially for those Miami boys. Seabrooks INT return for a TD being called back was a killer. Never forget how easy Miami made it look once they woke up in the 4th quarter. They put 4 TD's on the board in the blink of an eye. The last time we played them in 2003 was actually tight for a while too. I think we were only down 3 at the half and then they opened it up in the 3rd quarter. Amazing to think we were in both games with the talent level they had compared to ours.

Last edited:
During the late 70's and early 80's when Switzer had his Oklahoma wishbone cranking he would have his center tell the defense of teams like Iowa State, Kanas State, etc what plays were coming the first two possessions. The talent gap was so wide it wouldn't matter. The teams would get so demoralized that the in essence the game was over right then and there. Barry would "hang half a hundred on them"
Our talent gap to OSU is similar right now.

NIU is the very rare exception, not the rule. Will people ever understand that they're citing the 1 or 2% of the time when a team with 2 and 3 star talent played up to the top 25 teams? For every NIU, I can bring up 45 teams with the same or even better talent, many with exceptional coaching, that would have gotten destroyed by Ohio St, including us. 95% of the time, even if we coach equal or even better than OSU, we still lose.

Need more talent in order to avoid always trying to be the 1% exception against the big boys.
Didn't I watch APPALACHIAN STATE beat Michigan? BUT, I do agree that the more talent plus good coaching,the better the odds are of beating good teams.

Didn't I watch APPALACHIAN STATE beat Michigan? BUT, I do agree that the more talent plus good coaching,the better the odds are of beating good teams.

Yes you did. And everyone considers that a once in a decade type win.

Saying the game is over before the team steps on the field is a loser's mentality. It's one of the things I dislike about so many fans I encounter. The woe is me we suck attitude. Where is your pride? Get some balls.

Rutgers may very well get blown out, but you never know. That's why you play game.

Remind me not to jump in a foxhole with any of you.

Last edited:
Saying the game is over before the team steps on the field is a loser's mentality. It's one of the things I dislike about so many fans I encounter. The woe is me we suck attitude. Where is your pride? Gets some balls.

Rutgers may very well get blown out, but you never know. That's why you play game.

Remind me not to jump in a foxhole with any of you.
giphy.gif

Coaching is great, but its the jimmies and the joes...once RU gets an influx of talent, then we will see them being able to possibly beat OSU or whatever other elite teams the B1G has.

This exactly. Odds much better for a close game next year at home. Ash gets a lesson from Urban this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT