ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Spencer is having an All-American year

RUHouston

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 24, 2009
Flower Mound, TX
Not going to pump the brakes or apologize.

With a little under half the schedule to go, if Cam simply maintains this level of play how can he not make noise as an All-American? Granted, the numbers and performance can fall off, but recent history shows he is IMPROVING.

Crazy numbers in 3pt shooting accuracy, free throw shooting percentages, steals. And, after adjusting to a slower start the year (where many questioned his abilities) he's absolutely become The Guy when the pressure is on. Onions.

Prove me wrong.

His play has been superb and his clutch shooting may very well propel him to an All-Big Ten spot, but All-American teams are driven by numbers / rankings. Rutgers would need to finish as a top 15 team and Cam would likely need to get his season average up to 16+ ppg while maintaining the same efficiency to even sniff All-American recognition. Not a slight on him

Love his game all around. He’s intense and he shoots lights out. On D he is opportunistic. Mag and Caleb force the offense into mistakes and he and Paul always seem to be in the right spot for a steal. Passing is good. Ball handling is good. Team chemistry is great. He is much more than I could ever have expected when he transferred in.

Not going to pump the brakes or apologize.

With a little under half the schedule to go, if Cam simply maintains this level of play how can he not make noise as an All-American? Granted, the numbers and performance can fall off, but recent history shows he is IMPROVING.

Crazy numbers in 3pt shooting accuracy, free throw shooting percentages, steals. And, after adjusting to a slower start the year (where many questioned his abilities) he's absolutely become The Guy when the pressure is on. Onions.

Prove me wrong.
He's fills a need, but he is nowhere near the all around player that would get AA consideration. He has a quick release and is a very good 3 point shooter, but he has not shown that he can get that shot up on a catch coming over a screen or with someone playing jockstrap defense right up on him. He can't create off the dribble. He is not nearly as good as Mulchahy is with the ball in traffic. He is great at anticipation for steals, but he struggles with quick guards that drive right at him.

His 3 point shooting and overall complimentary team play make him a great asset to the Team, but discussing him as an AA is way out there.

ALL-AMERICAN isn’t what it should be. Like the Heismann trophy being basically only QBs from playoff teams, it’s lost a little bit. Basketball all-Americans are players from the top-10/15 AP poll teams who score the most points. That’s it. But I definitely would rather have Cam with his poise and his defense then some of the guys who will end up on that list, believe me !

I didnt want to say it at the time but it was proposterous that some were saying he was the 5th guy on all B1G team, especially given that we was probably the 3rd or 4th most valuable player on our team.
he had those couple of game winners and all around good games, which might have made him right there with Cliff in importance.....

not so much at the moment.

Teams have put more athletic guards on him and they are constantly up in his grill. He cant drive around them and he cant get his shot off. Teams have watched the film and have come up with a plan for him knowing that he is the only true scorer on the team. I dont know what the fix is.

Reactions: hiwater
he had those couple of game winners and all around good games, which might have made him right there with Cliff in importance.....

not so much at the moment.
Cliff for sure is most important.

We are on the map because of our D so Caleb has to be right up there.

Paul is our only true point guard he has to be up there.

Our half court O is so "not great" so Cam has to be up there when he is making shots.

Teams have put more athletic guards on him and they are constantly up in his grill. He cant drive around them and he cant get his shot off. Teams have watched the film and have come up with a plan for him knowing that he is the only true scorer on the team. I dont know what the fix is.
The fix is to pound the ball inside to Cliff and force Cam's defender to come down into the paint and double team.

I hate posts like this

When you say they’re wrong it comes across like you’re putting down our player

Cam has been a ridiculously good addition!! Great player, teammate, etc. I think most RU fans simply couldn’t be happier with his addition

With that said….

No where close to an AA for the reasons mentioned above by others. Silly post

He's fills a need, but he is nowhere near the all around player that would get AA consideration. He has a quick release and is a very good 3 point shooter, but he has not shown that he can get that shot up on a catch coming over a screen or with someone playing jockstrap defense right up on him. He can't create off the dribble. He is not nearly as good as Mulchahy is with the ball in traffic. He is great at anticipation for steals, but he struggles with quick guards that drive right at him.

His 3 point shooting and overall complimentary team play make him a great asset to the Team, but discussing him as an AA is way out there.
Yes, complimentary… I often see him complimenting others. Such a nice guy, always recognizing others so positively.

Yeah, but he helped us beat Purdue and NW on the road. And I believe he’ll get out of this slump or the coaches will help him do that. Yes, it’s a long season. He’ll be fine and you’ll still be a pain in the ass.
Definitely has some good games in him to go

I didnt want to say it at the time but it was proposterous that some were saying he was the 5th guy on all B1G team, especially given that we was probably the 3rd or 4th most valuable player on our team.
Not really. Multiple BTN analysts were saying Cam was in the discussion for the 5th spot when discussing the All B1G team. At the time that was fair and accurate. He's obviously struggled since and played his way out of that discussion

Fix is Paul needs to take leading role offensively. Back down his man or play pick and roll with Cliff.
back down and if double team comes over, find open man (Cam).
Pick and roll with Cliff, drive and if Cliff's man is stuck in no man's land, pass to Cliff. Pick and roll and drive, if help side comes to help, pass out for open man (Cam). If no one picks up - drive to the basket.

Cam is really spot up shooter who cant really create his own. That means, others needs to be able to break down their guy down. We dont really have that guy. Just Paul.
Even (supposedly fastest & quickest guy we have ever had) Simpson has trouble breaking down his guy and getting past time...
Hyatt, when he drives by himself, 80% he gets blocked because he jumps 1inch off the ground.
Mag, looks like he belongs in circus when he tries to create his own shot.

Paul, Cliff are the guys who can break down their opposition. They need to touch the ball every position...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT