ADVERTISEMENT

Campbell Fighting Camels

I found them from college basketball as they have had a good hoops team and have played on tv midweek bunch of times!

I like camels who fight!

This is the first I’ve ever heard of them!
From their website:
Gaylord the Camel
Our mascot made his first appearance in 1934. Today, you can see him strutting at Fighting Camels home games and even riding around main campus on his tricycle.
gaylord.jpg

History
Many stories exist as to the origin of the nickname "Fighting Camels" and the adoption of a camel as the mascot of Campbell University athletic teams. To date, there is still uncertainty as to why the unique mascot (only one other school in the United States -- and none in Division I -- has the nickname "Camels") was chosen.
According to historian J. Winston Pearce, author of "Campbell College, Big Miracle in Little Buies Creek," the nickname's origin perhaps stretches back to the turn of the century when all but one of the school's original buildings were destroyed by fire. In the aftermath, Z.T. Kivett visited the school's founder and president, Dr. James Archibald Campbell, at his residence.
As Dr. Campbell bemoaned the fate of the institution he had worked 13 years to build, Mr. Kivett encouraged him, "Your name's Campbell; then get a hump on you! We've got work to do." Dr. Campbell thought that Mr. Kivett said, "You're a camel, get a hump on you." Hence the nomadic nickname.
Campbell's athletic teams were originally named the "Hornets." Copies of Creek Pebbles, the school newspaper, in the 1920s and 1930s described the teams as "Hornets." Other references to the athletic teams were "The Campbells" or the "Campbellites."
Although an official date is unknown, the changing of the mascot to a camel came in late 1933 or early 1934. There is no explanation why the nickname was changed to Camels, only this one sentence was printed in the Jan. 13, 1934 issue of Creek Pebbles: "Eight new men were recently initiated into Campbell's monogram club, which has changed its name from 'Hornets' to 'Camels.'"
From that point on, all Campbell athletic teams have proudly worn the Camel mascot. The last time Gladys and Gaylord were seen together was in 1993 when Campbell alumni Craig and Angela Lloyd portrayed the dromedary duo. Angela hung up her camel head upon graduation, and Gladys disappeared from the limelight.
The idea for Gladys' return was tossed around for years before it was decided that bringing back Gladys in 2019 just made sense.

How many people know where Buies Creek is?

Reactions: MADHAT1
This is the first I’ve ever heard of them!
I feel like this is their 12 game already this year. They’ve probably been on national TV more this year than in their entire history.
Just looked it up, game 4 for them and their last game of the season.

6-camel-toe-slideshow-camel-toe-1492709761.jpg

parenthetically, in looking for this pic I learned that women can buy underwear designed to exaggerate camel toe! Huh...that’s a thing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: zappaa
I rode on the back of a camel in the Negev desert...they are they filthiest animals...

They are one of a few FCS teams that are playing a season against mostly FBS teams. Most of FCS is cancelled this year. Gutsy team.

Good on them. 4 games in 20 days I read. Ran outta steam today after first 3 covering the spread. Good job overall by them

Yes Campbell 66
I remember a car trip in the Mid 50's to Miami from NB. Took RT #301 (The Tabbaco Road) most of the way, a lot of single highway with passing areas. Trucks were boxy and the wind would push over into our lane as they passed us. Always took notice of the different trucking companies as we shared the road and the slogans in those days. Campbell's stuck out because of the camel mascot versus many bird logos.

ADVERTISEMENT