ADVERTISEMENT

Can RU Superfrosh lead us through the Big Dance?

BillyC80

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Seems like many of us are excited about having 2 NBA draft picks in our starting lineup, but we correctly temper our expectations for this year because they’re both freshmen, plus we don’t have a dominant center.

With the news that Carmelo Anthony’s son is coming in for a visit, it got me thinking about that 2002/03 Cuse team. I was at the RAC when RU beat them, eventual national champs that year. So I know anything can happen, and there’s likely some luck involved as well.

But interestingly, that Cuse team also had 2 freshmen starters (forward Carmelo Anthony and point guard Gerry McNamara), 2 future NBA players (Anthony and sophomore Hakim Warrick), and no dominant center (sophomore Craig Forth). They had one senior starter, guard Kueth Duany.

Look, I’ll be disappointed if this RU team underperforms, but it’s also possible that we can excel in ways that Cuse team did, with the similar makeup of our starting lineup, not to mention maybe our best depth in decades.

Reactions: Kbee3
Seems like many of us are excited about having 2 NBA draft picks in our starting lineup, but we correctly temper our expectations for this year because they’re both freshmen, plus we don’t have a dominant center.

With the news that Carmelo Anthony’s son is coming in for a visit, it got me thinking about that 2002/03 Cuse team. I was at the RAC when RU beat them, eventual national champs that year. So I know anything can happen, and there’s likely some luck involved as well.

But interestingly, that Cuse team also had 2 freshmen starters (forward Carmelo Anthony and point guard Gerry McNamara), 2 future NBA players (Anthony and sophomore Hakim Warrick), and no dominant center (sophomore Craig Forth). They had one senior starter, guard Kueth Duany.

Look, I’ll be disappointed if this RU team underperforms, but it’s also possible that we can excel in ways that Cuse team did, with the similar makeup of our starting lineup, not to mention maybe our best depth in decades.
Anything is possible, but like you said, in college basketball a lot of luck is involved. I think Ace and Dylan will be great, but let’s see how the team looks once the season starts.

Reactions: BillyC80
I'd seen Pearl. I'd seen Derrick Coleman, Douglas Sherman. I'd seen Billy Owens. I figured Carmelo Anthony would be about the same - on that high level. He wasn't. He was on an unimagined higher level where he could get any shot he wanted any time he wanted it. It teaches the lesson that human potential is uncapped. Yeah, a freshman can do that. Is it not writ in the book of ages "...and a child shall lead them?"

The last Big Ten team to have 2 of the Top 5 freshmen in the country recruited onto their team: 2005 or 2006 Ohio State ... Greg Oden and Michael Conley. Result? Championship game appearance (though they lost in that championship).

Men's basketball is so strange nowadays, with all those transfers from the portal, so that Ohio State team may not be the best measure: So many veteran transfers onto teams, lower level stars now on P6 teams, older players ... could definitely dilute the potential impact of even star freshmen.

Plus, many will continually cite the regular failures of those Kentucky teams over the last 10-12 years, with all their one and done players (multiple 1 and done recruits on several teams).

BUT ... How many teams have had TWO top 5 ranked freshmen on their team? That is the wild card factor here, IMO. Enough to at least hope for a great, historic result, even if it is tough to expect such a result.

I'd seen Pearl. I'd seen Derrick Coleman, Douglas Sherman. I'd seen Billy Owens. I figured Carmelo Anthony would be about the same - on that high level. He wasn't. He was on an unimagined higher level where he could get any shot he wanted any time he wanted it. It teaches the lesson that human potential is uncapped. Yeah, a freshman can do that. Is it not writ in the book of ages "...and a child shall lead them?"
Good point. True freshman Carmelo averaged 22 and 10, shot 50% from 2 and 33% from 3, plus 70% from the FT line.

Somehow that team still lost to Rutgers, so even if Ace can come close to those numbers, and he and Harper can perform up to first round draft pick expectations, we have to be prepared for a few speed bumps along the way.

Reactions: Unionst
The last Big Ten team to have 2 of the Top 5 freshmen in the country recruited onto their team: 2005 or 2006 Ohio State ... Greg Oden and Michael Conley. Result? Championship game appearance (though they lost in that championship).

Men's basketball is so strange nowadays, with all those transfers from the portal, so that Ohio State team may not be the best measure: So many veteran transfers onto teams, lower level stars now on P6 teams, older players ... could definitely dilute the potential impact of even star freshmen.

Plus, many will continually cite the regular failures of those Kentucky teams over the last 10-12 years, with all their one and done players (multiple 1 and done recruits on several teams).

BUT ... How many teams have had TWO top 5 ranked freshmen on their team? That is the wild card factor here, IMO. Enough to at least hope for a great, historic result, even if it is tough to expect such a result.
Exactly. TWO super elite freshmen, surrounded by veteran talent, a deep bench, and a head coach and staff that value hard work and effort, especially on defense. I like our chances.

Plus Dylan amd Ace have extensive experience playing together. Knowing what tour teammate is thinking and about to do is a big help.

Probably not a dominant center but Hakim Warrick was a stud at only sophomore year averaging 14 and 9 and eventually ending up in the nba

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT