ADVERTISEMENT

Can Someone Explain Our Punt Return Strategy?

graystork

All American
Nov 30, 2008
OK We've blocked punts. I get that. But on punts where the punt block is clearly not on, we make no effort at a punt return. Time after time I've watched the opposition's outside gunner run right past our defender who for some reason, turns and faces the middle of the field without even attempting to slow the guy up. Unhindered, he bolts down the field and forces a fair catch or buries our returner. WTF? If you're not going to even touch the guy, why waste a defender out there? Put him inside as another rusher. Or maybe, just maybe AC could have some success if we actually set up a punt return. I took me years to understand why our DB's don't turn and look for the ball. Could someone please explain this latest piece of strategic brilliance for me?

OK We've blocked punts. I get that. But on punts where the punt block is clearly not on, we make no effort at a punt return. Time after time I've watched the opposition's outside gunner run right past our defender who for some reason, turns and faces the middle of the field without even attempting to slow the guy up. Unhindered, he bolts down the field and forces a fair catch or buries our returner. WTF? If you're not going to even touch the guy, why waste a defender out there? Put him inside as another rusher. Or maybe, just maybe AC could have some success if we actually set up a punt return. I took me years to understand why our DB's don't turn and look for the ball. Could someone please explain this latest piece of strategic brilliance for me?
I still don't understand why the DBs don't turn and look for the ball. As far as punt return strategy, that's just bad coaching and poor use of talent.

Reactions: Caliknight
I still don't understand why the DBs don't turn and look for the ball. As far as punt return strategy, that's just bad coaching and poor use of talent.
The Schiano response was college DB's don't have enough talent to turn and look for the ball. They're better off keeping their eyes on the receiver and trying to strip the ball from him. Never liked this one either.

Reactions: runner3283
Ahh, this is another Schianoball feature that stretches all the way back to "Windmill" Willie Foster fielding punts.

Ahh, this is another Schianoball feature that stretches all the way back to "Windmill" Willie Foster fielding punts.
This made me laugh.

But yes, likely a Schiano thing. Which is fine if your offense can consistently move the ball

Reactions: Local Shill
The Schiano response was college DB's don't have enough talent to turn and look for the ball. They're better off keeping their eyes on the receiver and trying to strip the ball from him. Never liked this one either.
And if you watch as intently as you seem to do with RU DB’s you would see most college DB’s including those of the top 25 do that as well. They for the most part don’t look for the ball as they are taught. They are told to watch the receivers eyes and turn ( yes) however it is easier said than actually done.

How many punt return yards against us this year? Anyone? Buehler? I count 0 but may have missed a yard or two early in the season.

And if you watch as intently as you seem to do with RU DB’s you would see most college DB’s including those of the top 25 do that as well. They for the most part don’t look for the ball as they are taught. They are told to watch the receivers eyes and turn ( yes) however it is easier said than actually done.
This definitely isn’t true. I’ve watched numerous DBs make plays on the ball over the season turning their heads. Saw a bunch yesterday in various games.

Cruikshank fair caught one last night with the nearest defender still 15 yards away. Drives me crazy. Especially because of his immense talent in the return game
In all likelihood Cruickshank was told to fair catch ( why I can’t fathom) perhaps he just thought maybe not to?

This definitely isn’t true. I’ve watched numerous DBs make plays on the ball over the season turning their heads. Saw a bunch yesterday in various games.
Cali … it is true… to be honest there have been this year on tv Rutgers players who at times turned at other times did not. We have been rehashing this for years including when the the McCourty’s and others were patrolling the playground for Schiano and Rutgers. Yes , they all are taught but some will never do it at all or correct this error. That is something that even happens on Sundays and Monday nights.

You’d never get a straight answer from Greg if you asked him, so all we can do is speculate.

We know he lobbied to eliminate KOs based on safety reasons. And we know that Cruickshank came into the season not fully 100%.

So I assume he has put Cruickshank on a short lease out of concerns for his safety.

In the first half when their punter was struggling I didn’t understand why didn’t have 2 guys back (one shorter than Cru). We seem to go for the block at all times.

BTW we’re we actually offsides on the one punt? I couldn’t tell.

Cali … it is true… to be honest there have been this year on tv Rutgers players who at times turned at other times did not. We have been rehashing this for years including when the the McCourty’s and others were patrolling the playground for Schiano and Rutgers. Yes , they all are taught but some will never do it at all or correct this error. That is something that even happens on Sundays and Monday nights.
You should be able to turn and see the ball. It’s how you get turnovers. The technique of. Of turning is dumb imo.

How many punt return yards against us this year? Anyone? Buehler? I count 0 but may have missed a yard or two early in the season.
That’s apples vs. oranges.
Korsak’ s punting style makes it very hard for returns. Angles punts on line drives with plenty of roll.
Punts against us are traditional direct punts with plenty of room for a return. We choose not to. Brilliant

Schiano-Safe ? How’s that strategy working out for us ?
Not working out well, no. Not at all. But that’s Schiano’s philosophy and DNA.

Occasional surprise punt block but mainly lowest risk approach, including injury risk

You should be able to turn and see the ball. It’s how you get turnovers. The technique of. Of turning is dumb imo.
Agree …it should be done but the truth is in the heat of the game many don’t have proper positioning in coverage.

There isn't any team that's good at man to man coverage that plays that way. The McCourtys weren't talented?

It's in the opponents' scouting reports. That's one reason you see so many back shoulder throws. The McCourtys unlearned what they were taught when they got to the NFL, because the way they were taught at RU doesn't work in the NFL. It barely works in college.

It's in the opponents' scouting reports. That's one reason you see so many back shoulder throws. The McCourtys unlearned what they were taught when they got to the NFL, because the way they were taught at RU doesn't work in the NFL. It barely works in college.
You’re so wrong here it’s sad. We turn when we are in phase. When you are beat you don’t turn. I have seen very few back shoulder throws against us all year. Our corners have been very good. Don’t make stuff up just to be negative. I know Cali started it and he’s wrong too. Of all our issues this year this has been a complete positive for us.

In the first half when their punter was struggling I didn’t understand why didn’t have 2 guys back (one shorter than Cru). We seem to go for the block at all times.

BTW we’re we actually offsides on the one punt? I couldn’t tell.
He struggled because we had the block on and he had to rush his kicks. That’s. Strategy too and it works. Blocking kicks does work. Conversely we have 8 returns for 38 yards so not much there. We did return one for a TD but got called for a penalty so we lost 10 yards. Our punt team is spectacular and our return / block team is very good.

This team has plenty to work on but this thread is utter garbage between the punt returns and the turn around stupidity.

Here’s the thing he got them there and their undeniable athletic prowess assured them of a great life post Schiano and Rutgers'.

Here’s the thing he got them there and their undeniable athletic prowess assured them of a great life post Schiano and Rutgers'.
Here's the actual thing.. with a big enough sample size/years coaching, almost every college coach turns some 3 stars into NFL players. It's just a numbers game. If you think this makes Schiano somehow special, you likely don't follow college football too closely. Teams like Wisconsin, Boise St, Utah, Stanford, Louisville, TCU, etc turn many more 3 star recruits into NFL players.. Schiano is mediocre to below average in this category as well when you take into account the sheer number of years he's coach and how many 3 stars have matriculated through his programs.

He struggled because we had the block on and he had to rush his kicks. That’s. Strategy too and it works. Blocking kicks does work. Conversely we have 8 returns for 38 yards so not much there. We did return one for a TD but got called for a penalty so we lost 10 yards. Our punt team is spectacular and our return / block team is very good.

This team has plenty to work on but this thread is utter garbage between the punt returns and the turn around stupidity.
Alright if this thread is such utter garbage then answer the damn question. Why do we send defenders out to play the wide outs on punts when all our defenders do is let them run by them?

I also saw plenty of long completions to wide-open guys... likely because the DB tried to take a peek at the QB and lost his assigned man. You also have the case of speed.. if the DB is faster/taller/jump higher than the WR.. maybe he can get to the spot and turn around... but if he can barely keep up.. any effort to do anything else will create separation.

ADVERTISEMENT