ADVERTISEMENT

Can the head coach be up in the box?

Ataylor1989x

Senior
Dec 11, 2015
ive seen a few do it after injuries, but I wonder if for someone like Ash, if being up in the box seeing everything immediately might be the best option at this point, considering that's what he's pretty used to.

Would be a pretty interesting way to start his HC career, LOL.
Would be like he's hiding , no ?

PS- has anyone on this staff had HC experience at any level?

edit- it appears Coach Okruch is our only coach with Prior HC experience, at his alma mater, Culver-Stockton, in the early 80s. I like coach O a lot, seemingly a straight shooter

Last edited:
I'm just thinking if that's where he feels like he can make the important judgments and assessments from, he seems like a guy that could decide to do it that way if he felt it were crucial to have that be his vantage point. Then again, between headsets, iPads and efficiency coaches, he may already have immediate access to all the info he needs.

Would be a pretty interesting way to start his HC career, LOL.
Would be like he's hiding , no ?

PS- has anyone on this staff had HC experience at any level?

edit- it appears Coach Okruch is our only coach with Prior HC experience, at his alma mater, Culver-Stockton, in the early 80s. I like coach O a lot, seemingly a straight shooter

Niemann was a head coach at D3 Simpson College.

facepalm.jpg

Neiman is already going to be up in the box. The HC being on the field is symbolic as well as operational. He needs to be able to follow the flow of the game and be able to work the officials as well more so than a coordinator.

Was Lombardi ever in a box as HC?

Gimme a @#$%% break jackass...sorry tried to clean it up.

while i think this is a silly question..........

I was thinking that it couldn't get much tougher for Ash - a first time head coach, who is used to being in the coaches box not the sidelines - on the road - 2,300 miles from home at one of the nosiest college stadiums against a top 20 team with a first time OC putting in place a completely new system

hows that for a challenge?

can't wait to be there!!!!

Reactions: Newbrunfus
Was Lombardi ever in a box as HC?

Gimme a @#$%% break jackass...sorry tried to clean it up.

that was completely unnecessary.

I was asking a question as a unique means of strategy....based on everything I've read, Ash seems to have an approach where he's going to be making decisions based on what he feels is optimal strategy rather than dogma or tradition.

That said, this reply seems to be the most informative and logical reasoning to not expect him to leave sideline.

Neiman is already going to be up in the box. The HC being on the field is symbolic as well as operational. He needs to be able to follow the flow of the game and be able to work the officials as well more so than a coordinator.

ive seen a few do it after injuries, but I wonder if for someone like Ash, if being up in the box seeing everything immediately might be the best option at this point, considering that's what he's pretty used to.
Do you want a general who out in front leading the troops or one back from the line observing? I can't recall a head coach who has done it not due to injury or other issue. The reason being is that they need to be involved with game operations. Coaches in the booth tend to be removed from the game. How do you lead a team sitting up there. The head coach sometimes has to be able to interact with his players and even the officials. You can't do that as well in the booth. You have to trust your staff and trust those coaches to be you eye in the sky.

Reactions: Ataylor1989x
This is a funny thread . Man , where do people come up with this stuff ? Maybe ash shouldn't even be at the game and should be out recruiting since many see this as a throw away year anyway

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT