ADVERTISEMENT

Can the portal be regulated ?

zappaa

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Montclair NJ
In this new world where “NIL isn’t going away”
Who has the authority to protect NIL donors investments by regulating the free agent portal.
A one year sit out would truly protect the roster and allow fans to watch players develop.
It would also help alleviate the GS plea of we need money to keep our developing players who are in demand.
I understand the portal helps us in all sports, but the turnover ratio of personal in college is just to much imo.
There’s got to be a way to regulate it

Reactions: RUScrew85
Who has the authority to protect NIL donors investments by regulating the free agent portal.
A one year sit out would truly protect the roster and allow fans to watch players develop.
It would also help alleviate the GS plea of we need money to keep our developing players who are in demand.
I understand the portal helps us in all sports, but the turnover ratio of personal in college is just to much imo.
I posted in the CFB news thread that they will have transfer windows for the portal but that's it. If it's outside that window there could be exceptions for HC change and loss of scholarship.

Unlimited transfers tabled for now but wouldn't rule it out in the future. It might something that gets settled if revenue sharing comes into play in the future.

If the NIL money comes from a national brand, they may not care which school the player transfers to.

Also, if a player enters the portal because, based on performance, they’re not getting enough PT at their current school, then local NIL donors may not mind them transferring anyway.

Seems like we’re entering more of a market-driven college environment, unfortunately.

Last edited:
If the NIL money comes from a national brand, they may not care which school the player transfers to.

Also, if a player enters the portal because, based on performance, they’re not getting enough PT at their current school, then local NIL donors may not mind them transferring anyway.

Seems like we’re entering more of a market-driven college environment, unfortunately.
This ^
is not college football, nor do i think it’s the model anyone has in mind.

On your first point BillyC,
What percentage of current college football players are sponsored by a National brand with no ties to a University (Nike-Oregon) 0000000000.1 %
2nd point, you ignored the part where they sponsor and obvious rising star that does play and they would mind….greatly

I think the donor investments are/will be governed by "buyer beware". I can't see a NIL contract requiring the athlete to stay at that school. I COULD see an NCAA rule setting a "cut off" date for a season requiring a player to be on a roster by, say, August 1. That would prevent a midseason transfer and I think that would hold up.

Oh, I'd imagine NIL.. real NILs and not just funneled payments.. will have contractual obligations on the part of the athlete. Cannot wait to see that tested and athletes sued for nonperformance of the duties of the contracts. Then we'll see Congress address these athletes being taken advantage of and protections for them. Only the fake NIL deals will have no such issues because the people providing the money are just buying the services of the athletes in the sport.

Isn't there a famous story about Cam Newton taking money from.. LSU?.. then going to Auburn for MORE MONEY anyway? Think of how that could happen in this new age of NIL. That's a lawsuit, I'd think. And maybe an injunction preventing him from playing for Auburn.

The NCAA could restrict the number of scholarships for institution based on the amount of NIL deals per school

On your first point BillyC,
What percentage of current college football players are sponsored by a National brand with no ties to a University (Nike-Oregon) 0000000000.1 %
2nd point, you ignored the part where they sponsor and obvious rising star that does play and they would mind….greatly
All true Zap, although we are in the infancy of NIL, so these scenarios may yet come to pass, regarding national brands.

On the second point, you’re right, it would suck if RU lost a rising star to greener pastures and more NIL money. But that’s the free market system for ya. Hopefully RU can hold onto their future stars by becoming one of the greener pastures.

Also, while the portal may become more regulated, I don’t think NIL will, or should, be the catalyst for that.

All true Zap, although we are in the infancy of NIL, so these scenarios may yet come to pass, regarding national brands.

On the second point, you’re right, it would suck if RU lost a rising star to greener pastures and more NIL money. But that’s the free market system for ya. Hopefully RU can hold onto their future stars by becoming one of the greener pastures.

Also, while the portal may become more regulated, I don’t think NIL will, or should, be the catalyst for that.
NIL is here to stay, agreed.
Obviously, I’d like to see the free agent portal regulated

Reactions: BillyC80
The NCAA could restrict the number of scholarships for institution based on the amount of NIL deals per school

So we would potentially lose scholarships because Caleb McConnell got an NIL deal as part of returning?
Or Gavin Wimsatt got an NIL deal with DevCo so HC Schiano loses a scholarship?
I can't see that being a feasible solution.

The problem is people want to make rules based on the outliers (big public NIL deals - that are all alleged btw) not realizing how it will effect all schools and programs.

I've said in other threads that introducing an "everyone sits out one year - no exceptions" rule would greatly reduce roster movement - regardless of any NIL deals.

Using the big money Pitt WR to USC example.
Does he still get a huge USC-based NIL deal if he has to sit out a year and offers no actual on-field production?
Does USC even still want him at all?

Alternatively, does he even want to transfer to USC and postpone his NFL career by sitting out? Is the NIL worth having to sit out a year and delay his NFL contract?

The downside is that Rutgers is a net importer of talent via transfer - not an exporter.
For example, does Cam Spencer still transfer here or does HC Pike still want him if he has to sit out a year?

Reactions: RUScrew85

What about when they enter the portal as a high performer for better NIL money?

Anyway I agree NIL is here to stay. Transfer restrictions are the only way CFB saves this situation.

Last edited:
No. Next question.

The short answer is that the portal can be regulated -- but not in a way that violates the anti-trust laws. Perhaps I misread the story I saw in the Athletic, but I think the NCAA has decided that a kid can have only one transfer without having to sit out. That's at least some protection for schools. I agree that the combination of no-sitout transfers and unlimited NIL basically ends college sports as we've known them. I expect that the NCAA or the federal government will try to restrain the use of NIL by boosters and schools as a way of attracting kids, but who knows when that will happen or how effective it would be. (I mention the federal government because anything the NCAA does can be challenged in court as a violation of the anti-trust laws ; but there's nothing stopping Congress from creating exceptions to those laws.)

Last edited:
So we would potentially lose scholarships because Caleb McConnell got an NIL deal as part of returning?
Or Gavin Wimsatt got an NIL deal with DevCo so HC Schiano loses a scholarship?
I can't see that being a feasible solution.

The problem is people want to make rules based on the outliers (big public NIL deals - that are all alleged btw) not realizing how it will effect all schools and programs.
Well the loss of scholarships would go something like this for every 1 million in NIL dollars you lose one scholarship .

The transfer portal may be a bigger issue than NIL. They really need to go back to sitting a year except for 5th year.
NIL- is a beast that got away.
Perfect example is what we are trying to do here.
Fans(boosters) getting together NIL money.
And schools getting involved in any way.
NIL should be local business’s and in some cases, National Brands getting the money together for advertising purposes.
The schools themselves should only be allowed to talk to the businesses, not the players about it.
mans then you have kids not even in the portal yet, and there is an open bidding war going on.

I do think there is a much better way. You are not going to get rid of it now but the current version is going to drive so many fans away. We are going to be left with only gambling addicts caring about the games.

Don't be stupid to invest in a player that seems money hungry. LSU QB gets a NIL deal and later quits football.
As far as someone leaving to go to another team nothing can be in the contract that forces the player to play for a certain team. Best idea is just do 1 year deals only.

Last edited:
Well the loss of scholarships would go something like this for every 1 million in NIL dollars you lose one scholarship .

If the goal is "fairness" then why stop at NIL?
Penalize all alumni money in college sports for this scholarship reduction.

Why should Ohio State get to benefit from having a more involved and wealthy fanbase while Rutgers does not.
Does it really make a difference if the money is going to the AD or towards NIL? Rutgers loses either way.

Could they?
Not totally clear. As you know, the Supreme Court last year (in an opinion by Justice Gorsuch) unanimously invalidated the NCAA's restraints on the educational benefits that schools may offer. Under the Court's decision, restraints on compensation for athletes can't be stricter than is necessary to preserve the distinction between college and professional sports. It's hard to know what passes that standard.

Media revenue would make more sense.

Sure we beat Temple 63-14.
But how much more money do we get than Temple?
NIL is related to player compensation. Not sure where you’re coming from? Media revenue goes to the school and possibly the conference. How is this related to the portal, which this thread is related to?

NIL is related to player compensation. Not sure where you’re coming from? Media revenue goes to the school and possibly the conference. How is this related to the portal, which this thread is related to?

How is "NIL" related to regulating the transfer portal, which this thread is related to?

Now, since you wanted to be pedantic - why did you bring up NIL on the scoreboard?
Because you want a way to justify Rutgers losing to OSU and other elite schools.
I suggested a better idea to justify why a TEAM wins.
Does our media revenue not factor into beating Temple?
We have more money to hire a HC and coaching staff. More money for facilities to train the team.

Sorry, I won't improve upon bad idea that you throw out going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT