ADVERTISEMENT

Cape League R guys going in to final week

RUtix4me

All American
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2015
Brito with 5 HRs ties him for 3rd in the league. 22 RBI is 3rd in the league. He has his BA up to .284
Sleight batting .314 good for 5th best in the league of qualifying players.

Both made the All-Stars.

Lasko has struggled a bit, hitting .229 with 11 SB
I will see him play tonight when Brewster travels to Orleans

Drew Conover 11 appearances, 17 innings, 3 saves, 18 k, 5 bb, 1.58 era, 0.820 WHIP, also an all-star, is solid. Assume he will be a reliever here?

Brito with 5 HRs ties him for 3rd in the league. 22 RBI is 3rd in the league. He has his BA up to .284
Sleight batting .314 good for 5th best in the league of qualifying players.

Both made the All-Stars.

Lasko has struggled a bit, hitting .229 with 11 SB
I will see him play tonight when Brewster travels to Orleans

Drew Conover 11 appearances, 17 innings, 3 saves, 18 k, 5 bb, 1.58 era, 0.820 WHIP, also an all-star, is solid. Assume he will be a reliever here?
Ryan has way to many strikeouts.
I know he has good power, but all the metrics they use today to teach hitting do him no favors against a tough pitcher, especially if he gets into a pitchers count.
I wish these metric using batting coaches would do a lot more work on altering your swing with two strikes against you, hitting with two strikes used to be an art form that made hitters special.
Im my day, watching Keith Hernandez, Tony Gwynn or Don Mattingly hit with two strikes was magical and scary if you were playing defense against them.
Exit velocity, swing plane, Iso power, barrel speed….on and on.
None of that teaches you how to see the ball out of the pitchers hand and cover the plate

Last edited:
Ryan has way to many strikeouts.
I know he has good power, but all the metrics they use today to teach hitting do him no favors against a tough pitcher, especially if he gets into a pitchers count.
I wish these metric using batting coaches would do a lot more work on altering your swing with two strikes against you, hitting with two strikes used to be an art form that made hitters special.
Im my day, watching Keith Hernandez, Tony Gwynn or Don Mattingly hit with two strikes was magical and scary if you were playing defense against them.
Exit velocity, swing plane, Iso power, barrel speed….on and on.
None of that teaches you how to see the ball out of the pitchers hand and cover the plate
On that topic, what is the quality of instruction that he gets over the summer compared to the hitting instruction he is getting at RU? Do these guys sometimes actually pick up bad habits over the summer?

On that topic, what is the quality of instruction that he gets over the summer compared to the hitting instruction he is getting at RU? Do these guys sometimes actually pick up bad habits over the summer?
No….not in an elite league like the Cape.
All these hitting coaches are teaching metrics.
The problem is from day one at 8 years old, kids are taught to swing from their ass with soft toss and a tee.
I think burn out stick ball from 30ft is better for you, but I’m an old fart so what do I know.

@zappaa did you ever play up here Or go to games on the Cape? It truly is a fun experince, players have a good time, fans/tourists get a close up of the game for free.

My Brother played for Cotuit, and I’ve seen games
Never played cause I signed out of high school

ADVERTISEMENT