ADVERTISEMENT

Carino’s article about Harper Jr. and other locals NBA evaluation

An actual NBA scout with a real NBA team? What does he know.
I'll need to see a google doc before I take this guy's evaluations seriously.

"The other big thing is: How good of a shooter is he actually? If the season ended on New Year’s Eve 2020 he could easily have been a first-round pick. He started out the year shooting 55% (from 3-point range) and then hit 5 of his next 57 and then normalized toward the end of Big Ten play. He’s got good shooting mechanics, good footwork. Part of it was probably mental. He was probably pressing at certain points when things started to snowball with his shooting. Tired legs over the course of a game probably impacted it, too. Getting in better shape will help.”

Checks calendar: Rutgers played 8 games (including Sacred Heart, FDU and Hofstra) in 2020.
21 games in 2021.
Like I've repeatedly pointed out, people saying RHJ has a legit chance at being drafted and potentially a 1st round pick were focusing on a 4 game (2 week) hot streak in December (Syracuse, Maryland, Illinois, OSU).

"If RHJ could replicate those numbers, he is a 1st round pick".
No sh@t.
If anyone shoots 50% from 3pt for a whole season they will be a draft prospect.
The outlier was the 8 early games, not the 21 later games.

Reactions: Plum Street
An actual NBA scout with a real NBA team? What does he know.
I'll need to see a google doc before I take this guy's evaluations seriously.

"The other big thing is: How good of a shooter is he actually? If the season ended on New Year’s Eve 2020 he could easily have been a first-round pick. He started out the year shooting 55% (from 3-point range) and then hit 5 of his next 57 and then normalized toward the end of Big Ten play. He’s got good shooting mechanics, good footwork. Part of it was probably mental. He was probably pressing at certain points when things started to snowball with his shooting. Tired legs over the course of a game probably impacted it, too. Getting in better shape will help.”

Checks calendar: Rutgers played 8 games (including Sacred Heart, FDU and Hofstra) in 2020.
21 games in 2021.
Like I've repeatedly pointed out, people saying RHJ has a legit chance at being drafted and potentially a 1st round pick were focusing on a 4 game (2 week) hot streak in December (Syracuse, Maryland, Illinois, OSU).

"If RHJ could replicate those numbers, he is a 1st round pick".
No sh@t.
If anyone shoots 50% from 3pt for a whole season they will be a draft prospect.
The outlier was the 8 early games, not the 21 later games.
Well, I think the stretch where he couldn’t hit a shot also was an outlier. Ultimately, there’s nothing noticeably wrong with his shot and from what the scout says, they like the way Ron gets his shots. Continued reps and he should work his way into an NBA player. The biggest takeaway is his need to slim down, which I feel he has done the last few years and will continue to do.

Reactions: NickRU714
Well, I think the stretch where he couldn’t hit a shot also was an outlier. Ultimately, there’s nothing noticeably wrong with his shot and from what the scout says, they like the way Ron gets his shots. Continued reps and he should work his way into an NBA player. The biggest takeaway is his need to slim down, which I feel he has done the last few years and will continue to do.

I think the beginning of last season was the outlier. I also don't think he is consistent with his form. When he is loose he shoots it well, but he gets tight a lot and pushes the ball with his palms.

Ron needs to be a 3 maybe 2 , if he's going to lose weight like the scout suggests.
At 6'-6" he needs some weight to hold his own if RU has him mainly at the 4.

Geo's evaluation shows he needs to show more if he's even going to be a 2nd rounder and have the better overseas leagues take a chance on him..
I liked the part “an elite-level character guy” and “solid team player”, which will give Baker the benefit of doubt if a team likes what they see in his talent but wonders if he'd be a good fit.

I agree with both evaluations.
A return for a Senior & Super-Senior seasons will benefit them both...
Will be great for Rutgers too!!
Packed RAC, Ron gelling into 1st round form, Healthy Geo back to heroics
should alone be enough to get RU back to NCAA bubble..

Ron needs to be a 3 maybe 2 , if he's going to lose weight like the scout suggests.
At 6'-6" he needs some weight to hold his own if RU has him mainly at the 4.

Geo's evaluation shows he needs to show more if he's even going to be a 2nd rounder and have the better overseas leagues take a chance on him..
I liked the part “an elite-level character guy” and “solid team player”, which will give Baker the benefit of doubt if a team likes what they see in his talent but wonders if he'd be a good fit.
It will be interesting if Ron does come back how he will prioritize his senior season goals - because what he needs to show to improve his NBA prospect in many cases clashes with what Pikiell wants out of him. It could very much be a Kadeem Jack senior season situation.

I love Ron. But it's hard not to conclude that he isn't fully dedicated when he's carrying extra weight on the floor. He's already a big guy even if slimmed down. Still a bruiser. As an elite athlete there are very few easy things to do to improve your game that are 100% in your control. Ron has one of those things available to him and he hasn't executed on it. He's usually the only guy on the floor that's not cut and in peak physical condition. In addition to improving his game, it shows scouts that you are fully committed to what you are doing.

It will be interesting if Ron does come back how he will prioritize his senior season goals - because what he needs to show to improve his NBA prospect in many cases clashes with what Pikiell wants out of him. It could very much be a Kadeem Jack senior season situation.

I have mentioned this a bunch.

Pro (NBA, G-League, etc) prospects rely on slimming down, and vastly improving 3pt shooting. Just taking (and making) a ton of 3s. Trying to take a guy off the dribble and create his own shot.
He is an adequate size wing (2/3) at 6'6".

But if the offense revolves around him playing in the post or hanging around the basket more as a 4 and guarding bigger guys underneath. That's not going to be great for his future development.
He needs to show he can guars guys on the wing in space.

I love Ron. But it's hard not to conclude that he isn't fully dedicated when he's carrying extra weight on the floor. He's already a big guy even if slimmed down. Still a bruiser. As an elite athlete there are very few easy things to do to improve your game that are 100% in your control. Ron has one of those things available to him and he hasn't executed on it. He's usually the only guy on the floor that's not cut and in peak physical condition. In addition to improving his game, it shows scouts that you are fully committed to what you are doing.
i am giving him a pass last year because of covid.

last few posts describing Ron's future, sound similar to situation of Phil Sellers
RU benefitted from him banging around inside, rebounding, drawing fouls,
he needed more experience as a swing man 2/3 to increase his value in the NBA
Ron will be a 3 in the NBA, but here is playing a lot of 4 out of necessity
recruiting isn't done yet, so we will see if we can get him out playing the wing more...

I’m pretty sure we added Hyatt so he wouldn’t have to play the four much.
Something I hadn't thought of. Maybe both sides get what they want. If Pike believes Hyatt can be a legit 4 and play a bunch of minutes there, and he's told Ron this, Ron could spend a lot of the offseason getting his body into more of a 2/3 body type. No idea if this is a thought in anyone's head, but will be interesting to see.

Anyone happen to take a look at Geo’s Instagram story today? Looks like he’s in White Plains (home of the Westchester Knicks), and has what appears to be a practice jersey.

https://instagram.com/stories/geo_b...urce=ig_story_item_share&utm_medium=copy_link

https://instagram.com/stories/geo_b...urce=ig_story_item_share&utm_medium=copy_link

This is actually not good news for Rutgers.
It means Geo is showcasing for a potential UDFA contract and considering staying in the draft.

It was reported the Knicks were working out McClung this week, who is staying in the draft.
McClung was invited to the G-League camp and is similarly projected as undrafted.

https://empiresportsmedia.com/new-y...eads-40-prospects-in-nba-g-league-elite-camp/

This is actually not good news for Rutgers.
It means Geo is showcasing for a potential UDFA contract and considering staying in the draft.

It was reported the Knicks were working out McClung this week, who is staying in the draft.
McClung was invited to the G-League camp and is similarly projected as undrafted.

https://empiresportsmedia.com/new-y...eads-40-prospects-in-nba-g-league-elite-camp/
We are better off with Geo gone imo. If Harper goes than next year could get a bit dicey but ya never know.

You’re never better off with a four year starter and most experienced player on your roster gone, regardless of if you like him or not.
Yeah. Better off not having him playing the minutes he did last year is a better way to say it. You’re right, we could use him in a much smaller role but doubt he’s willing to do it

where do we get smaller role from??
Young & Mathis are gone
there is no other guard with any experience
(Hyatt is listed as a guard, but is really a swing forward)
Geo at no point was 100% last year
We need major minutes from Geo

we don’t that ship sailed

where do we get smaller role from??
Young & Mathis are gone
there is no other guard with any experience
(Hyatt is listed as a guard, but is really a swing forward)
Geo at no point was 100% last year
We need major minutes from Geo
Better of without Geo? Where do they get that?!?

Reactions: ImBadRU and MADHAT1
Both will be back, I have no doubt at all. They hopefully will improve as individuals and gel better as a team now that JY is gone. Lets hope.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
The scout said he needs to lose weight . I remember that was suggested here and those posters were basically told to STFU.
I applaud those who said that tbh. Telling an injured player he needs to lose weight is moronic.

I for one said he was in great shape, got hurt and took a while to get back in game shape. Looking back I don’t think he ever got to 100%

Last edited:
Reactions: cm_13
In the "Geo is not back and RHJ is" scenario, the rotation is probably as follows.

1 Mulcahy/Miller/Logan Stephens?
2 Caleb/Jaden
3 RHJ/Palmquist
4 Hyatt/Mag
5 Cliff/Reiber/Nathan?

Is it ideal, not sure, we will find out in November. Pike will know before we do if the team has a real need during the summer workouts and will add accordingly, plenty still available in the portal. Mulcahy was the second most efficient player on the team behind Myles in 2020-21. If Geo's not back, Paul will run the show next year and Jalen Miller will be given the opportunity to be the primary backup. If Jalen isn't capable after OOC play, Caleb or Jaden can handle lead guard. All four will shift between the 1 and 2 in OOC play. RHJ is capable in short stints as well. Palmquist, Mag and Reiber showed potential in limited time, we have seen positive jumps with most players in year 2 under Pike. We will find out in a few weeks when the deadlines pass, what we have and what we will need

ADVERTISEMENT