ADVERTISEMENT

Carino: How does Steve Pikiell's 2018 recruiting class rate in recent RU history?

Is Jerry making a negative comment about Jack? He did have a good career.

Is Jerry making a negative comment about Jack? He did have a good career.

I don't think so. I think he's saying Jack and Jordan never clicked during the 2nd half of Jack's career so he could have been even better.

If memory serves Kejuan Johnson never made it here, another Johnson, forget his first name redshirted but then transferred never playing.

this analysis rewards quantity with the 2011 class having seven... no way we could
tack on seven players for the next recruiting cycle

Last edited:
The biggest thing I remember and keep in the back of my mind is after all those classes, it wasn't followed up by other really good or great classes. I think that's something to keep in mind as to why we never get over the hump.

If Coach P can string classes in 2019 and 2020 at the same level as 2018, then coach up the talent along the way, then we get over the hump.

The name Seagers just gets me mad, disgrace to the uniform said by Tim Welsh.

The biggest thing I remember and keep in the back of my mind is after all those classes, it wasn't followed up by other really good or great classes. I think that's something to keep in mind as to why we never get over the hump.

If Coach P can string classes in 2019 and 2020 at the same level as 2018, then coach up the talent along the way, then we get over the hump.

No only that, but-as Jerry points out-you have to hold on to and develop these players. The Inman class was followed up by 2 good ones with Hill, but Hill didn't develop all that many players and clashed with Inman and Griffin. The other classes were marred by transfers.

Not only does Pikiell have to keep recruiting better players, but he has to keep and develop the ones he does land through their senior years.

Bailey, Anderson, Dabney, Selllers Jordan

Maybe not the greatest ranked but truly the best!

this analysis rewards quantity with the 2011 class having seven... no way we could

It is actually a realistic possibility. We have 4 right now, and it's probable that Sanders leaves and we get a transfer. That would be 6. Possible we get another transfer or Doorson leaves to either go pro overseas or do a grad xfer.

---
they did not all come in the same class....Bailey was a frosh
when Sellers was a seasoned veteran

Reactions: RUJMM78
It is actually a realistic possibility. We have 4 right now, and it's probable that Sanders leaves and we get a transfer. That would be 6. Possible we get another transfer or Doorson leaves to either go pro overseas or do a grad xfer.
--
ok, we shall see

These were not same class, just on same team. Anderson and Bailey were same class. Sellers and Dabney same class. Jordan was a year behind sellers.

We are using, at most, probably one more scholarship for this class. We are counting on 2019 to be even better in terms of average star rating and talent.

5 Top 150 recruits is nothing to sneeze at. That's a 70% Top 150 rate in a class.

If 3 of the 4 from this year are in the final Top 150 you could say we had a similar hit rate for this class.

People are so ready to get rid of Doorson.
Shaq is an A Plus kid...they aren't pushing him out the door.

His reality is with the injury history he has, this season is probably his last chance to succeed on the court. Another setback will most likely be it for his basketball career.

Otherwise, I look forward to watching him develop his last 2 seasons here...he still has exciting upside with the level of coaching now in place.

Shaq is an A Plus kid...they aren't pushing him out the door.

His reality is with the injury history he has, this season is probably his last chance to succeed on the court. Another setback will most likely be it for his basketball career.

Otherwise, I look forward to watching him develop his last 2 seasons here...he still has exciting upside with the level of coaching now in place.

If we have 12 on the roster this season, may give 1 more late 2017 ship to get to 13 (the max), then lose 3 seniors and are bringing in 4 in 2018, we are already 1 over.

If Corey leaves, we are at 13 for 2018 season.

How can we still be looking to bring in another 2018 kid?

Someone besides Sanders would have to go.

Who?

If no one wants to name a name, how does that process play out?

TIA

If we have 12 on the roster this season, may give 1 more late 2017 ship to get to 13 (the max), then lose 3 seniors and are bringing in 4 in 2018, we are already 1 over.

Who?

TIA
A lot will come down to frustration over playing time. Kids want to be on the court not the bench. Have to see how it plays out.

Bailey, Anderson, Dabney, Selllers Jordan Maybe not the greatest ranked but truly the best!

First year at RU
Sellers & Dabney.........1972
Jordon ........................ 1973
Copeland .................... 1974
Anderson & Bailey........1975

All palyed together on that 1976 NCAA Fianl Four Team

It appears we may have taken Harper Jr. over Policelli and Mucius. That says a lot.

It appears we may have taken Harper Jr. over Policelli and Mucius. That says a lot.
Wow--what makes you say that? I like what you're saying and wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, Harper Jr. does seem to have huge upside by all accounts. Just wondering if you have a source?

How are VerbalCommits composite ratings determined? Carino references VC's composite 2-star rating in his article since Harper Jr isn't ranked by Rivals, Scout or ESPN at this point.

I think the composite rankings take into account all the recruiting rankings out there. Not positive on that though.

Who?

TIA

Ok so let me get this straight... We are allowed 13 ships total and we lose three ships but are receiving four ships next year and one more ship may leave which then gets us back to 13 ships. That all adds up except...except for the black crow in the crow's nest! What will happen to him? Lol

We still have a scholarship that we have not used for this season. If that is not used we will have 4 for next season. Things always work out. Almost all schools continue to recruit. Too many people are in a panic over this. Just relax and enjoy the moment.

Reactions: LC-88

No only that, but-as Jerry points out-you have to hold on to and develop these players. The Inman class was followed up by 2 good ones with Hill, but Hill didn't develop all that many players and clashed with Inman and Griffin. The other classes were marred by transfers.

Not only does Pikiell have to keep recruiting better players, but he has to keep and develop the ones he does land through their senior years.
Another issue with those solid-to-good recruiting classes from the past is that a legitimate 4* PG wasn't landed-still the most important position in college hoops. Sanders is that guy now, but even the so-called blockbuster 2011 class had 3 combo guards. And that's why we need to stay in the hunt for Carey in '18.

***the coaching debacles of FHJr and Rice were the killers above all though

It's all about player development. Who cares what the classes say. Potential and talent are great but developing talent is the key to sustained winning. It's why Wisconsin is always successful. And as some other posters mentioned, quality recruiting classes in 2019 & 2020 are key. If/when pike develops the current talent recruits will come!!

Ranking of recruiting classes have little relevance if the best players transfer after 2 seasons.Winning and playing in the NCAA Tournament is paramount to player retention.Past Rutgers coaching staffs failed to break the cycle of losing and player transfers.With a easy out of conference schedule Pikiell is trying to quicken the end of losing seasons and give recruits and current players a reason for staying at Rutgers.

First year at RU
Sellers & Dabney.........1972
Jordon ........................ 1973
Copeland .................... 1974
Anderson & Bailey........1975

All palyed together on that 1976 NCAA Fianl Four Team

Sellers, Dabney, Mike Palko, Bruce Scherer, Jeff Kleinbaum, Ron Williams was the 1972 class. Williams was a nice point guard, but left after that first year--Eddie was a much better replacement. There was a LOT of excitement when that huge freshman class began play at the Barn.

ADVERTISEMENT