ADVERTISEMENT

Carino on McConnell and Practice/rotation/etc

Kcg,

I hope you are wrong......again my conviction isn’t terribly high.

This could be a case where I am guilty of what everyone else is....I want to believe Mathis can be a star...Dahntay Jones Jr.

Kcg,

I hope you are wrong......again my conviction isn’t terribly high.

This could be a case where I am guilty of what everyone else is....I want to believe Mathis can be a star...Dahntay Jones Jr.

I would say that I feel that same way about Harper and to a lesser extent McConnell. I hope we're both right and all three break out.

Just not seeing it with Mathis. I don't think his defense is what you're cracking it up to be.

Baker 30 - Seems about right (my ideal for him is 28 but as you correctly noted Pikiell goes to him when things are going sideways
Mulachy 10 - Slightly OVER (12-14)
Young 20 - OVER (25-28)
McConnell 18 - OVER (20-22)
Mathis - Way UNDER (12-14)
Harper - About right
Yeboah - About right

So I'll say:

Baker 30
Mulcahy 12
Young 27
McConnell 22
Mathis 12
Harper 30
Yeboah 25

Total 158

You have 42 minutes COMBINED for Myles, Carter and Doucoure. No chance that group averages less than 50 and I think they are likely closer to 55+ than 50 (imo). You know we are playing AT LEAST 40 minutes with one of those three on the floor.

You have 42 minutes COMBINED for Myles, Carter and Doucoure. No chance that group averages less than 50 and I think they are likely closer to 55+ than 50 (imo). You know we are playing AT LEAST 40 minutes with one of those three on the floor.

You realize what that does to the minutes of the non bigs....

Try math with 145 minutes
Baker
Young
Mulcahy
Mathis
Caleb
Harper
Yeboah
And :Kissing:

The key this year is to reduce turnovers by getting Geo to play more off the ball and reduce his minutes, he lead the team with 3.0 turnovers a game, 34 minutes a game. EO was 2nd with 2.5 last year, 3rd was Tez with 1.3 a game. Jacob Young will be the starting PG. At Texas, he averaged 0.9 TOV freshman and 0.6 TOV sophomore in his 16-17 minutes a game. He had a year to grow and it seems like he has natural ballhandling skills, and I think Mulcahy will be the primary backup. Just get the sense this year, Pike will keep the ball in the hands of the more natural ball handlers, he finally has 2 PGs. Geo, RHJ, and Caleb will be stop gap PGs for a minute or two here and there. Geo will start at the 2. Myles the 5, RHJ will be starting 3 or 4 and depending on the opponent or how well a player is playing, I could see Caleb, Tez, Carter and Yeboah, all getting starts this season. It will be interesting this year to see how quick this team grows into their roles, will be the difference between a winning record or NIT bound or even dancing this year.

If you want to go back to Young's turnover numbers at Texas, you have to also include his assist numbers. He wasn't being asked to pass the ball nearly as often as other players on the team, so his turnover numbers naturally wouldn't be as high either.

We are going to ask him to play role much different than the one he played with the longhorns.

Reactions: Scangg and kcg88
Harper is now 6’8’’ and will be 6’9’’ by the time B1G season starts.

#RHJ@DUH5

OR

Think about Iowa. Let Caleb guard the fish (Garza)
I assume your joking about Harper’s height? I was standing near him at practice and I don’t think he reaches 6’6”. He does look to be in great shape though.

Reactions: linzalonic
I posted a modified version of this in another thread about a week ago. I think players 9 to 11 are Mulcahy, Doucoure, and Kiss. By February, I think it will be an 8-man core, but 9 through 11 will still play significant roles.

GUARD (80)
Baker - 30
Young - 24
Mathis - 22
McConnell - 4
Mulcahy - 8
Kiss - situational

WING (40)
Harper - 20
McConnell - 15
Yeboah - 5

BIGS (80)
Yeboah - 15
Harper - 8
Carter - 18
Johnson - 23
Doucoure - 8

________

So the OVERALL minute total would appear as follows (200):
Baker - 30
Harper - 28
Young - 24
Johnson - 23
Mathis - 22
Yeboah - 20
McConnell - 19
Carter - 18
Mulcahy - 8
Doucoure - 8
Kiss - situational

Degaz..
Disagree. No way Caleb plays 19 minutes. 18 minutes top!

In all seriousness....laying it out that way really hilights the impact of playing 60+ minutes of big bigs has on the perimeter guys.

We all know it will be matchup dependent and these numbers are estimates for 5-8 game stretches.

Hopefully it will be painful seeing some of these guys have minutes limited below what most want. That will tell us things are going good.

Just not seeing it with Mathis. I don't think his defense is what you're cracking it up to be.

Baker 30 - Seems about right (my ideal for him is 28 but as you correctly noted Pikiell goes to him when things are going sideways
Mulachy 10 - Slightly OVER (12-14)
Young 20 - OVER (25-28)
McConnell 18 - OVER (20-22)
Mathis - Way UNDER (12-14)
Harper - About right
Yeboah - About right

So I'll say:

Baker 30
Mulcahy 12
Young 27
McConnell 22
Mathis 12
Harper 30
Yeboah 25

Total 158
Young pg
Baker sg
Yeb/Caleb wg
Ron fwd
Myles cntr
The key this year is to reduce turnovers by getting Geo to play more off the ball and reduce his minutes, he lead the team with 3.0 turnovers a game, 34 minutes a game. EO was 2nd with 2.5 last year, 3rd was Tez with 1.3 a game. Jacob Young will be the starting PG. At Texas, he averaged 0.9 TOV freshman and 0.6 TOV sophomore in his 16-17 minutes a game. He had a year to grow and it seems like he has natural ballhandling skills, and I think Mulcahy will be the primary backup. Just get the sense this year, Pike will keep the ball in the hands of the more natural ball handlers, he finally has 2 PGs. Geo, RHJ, and Caleb will be stop gap PGs for a minute or two here and there. Geo will start at the 2. Myles the 5, RHJ will be starting 3 or 4 and depending on the opponent or how well a player is playing, I could see Caleb, Tez, Carter and Yeboah, all getting starts this season. It will be interesting this year to see how quick this team grows into their roles, will be the difference between a winning record or NIT bound or even dancing this year.

Very well stated. Totally agree.

Degaz..
Disagree. No way Caleb plays 19 minutes. 18 minutes top!

In all seriousness....laying it out that way really hilights the impact of playing 60+ minutes of big bigs has on the perimeter guys.

We all know it will be matchup dependent and these numbers are estimates for 5-8 game stretches.

Hopefully it will be painful seeing some of these guys have minutes limited below what most want. That will tell us things are going good.

GRF please explain why Caleb will only get 18 minutes. Last week you said 9 minutes, kiss 9 minutes. Are you saying because he's not good enough to play more?

GRF please explain why Caleb will only get 18 minutes. Last week you said 9 minutes, kiss 9 minutes. Are you saying because he's not good enough to play more?
i never said kiss 9/caleb 9!!!!!!!!!!!

read all the posts...i think it is all laid out

Caleb can play the 2 or 3 and at times the 1. And if I’m not mistaken didn’t Pike say something about, at his length, he could play the 4 if necessary?

Don’t see why that wouldn’t add up to at least 22 minutes for the kid.

Here’s a question: what if he emerges as one of our top 3 players on a consistent basis? Wouldn’t the coach want his top 3 players playing at least 22 minutes per game?

Here’s a question: what if he emerges as one of our top 3 players on a consistent basis? Wouldn’t the coach want his top 3 players playing at least 22 minutes per game?

28+

Caleb scored 32 points in our 7 B1G wins. He'd be taking a big leap to be one of our top 3 players. No doubt it is possible.

Mathis scored 92 in our 7 wins. Double digits 6 out of 7.

Reactions: RutgHoops
During the open practice Caleb played up top on the press, rotating reps with Young.

Caleb can play the 2 or 3 and at times the 1. And if I’m not mistaken didn’t Pike say something about, at his length, he could play the 4 if necessary?

Don’t see why that wouldn’t add up to at least 22 minutes for the kid.

I agree with this. IF McConnell has improved to the point where he's one of our three best players, that probably pushes Mathis' minutes downward, and maybe Yeboah's too.

Like GRF said earlier, it's all speculation at this point until the bullets start flying.

Reactions: BillyC80
Guys , we can play 4 guards / wings offensively all game if we want to ; problem is are they going to play well enough defensively and rebound enough to do this . Some of this will be based on our opponent and our opponents lineup at the time .

if those guys can rebound enough I can see like playing smaller yo make the other team match up to us

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
One thing I am a fan of his full court man to man on the opposing point guard. Taxes our guy, but it can pay dividends in crunch time when the PG is physical and mentally tired.

who loses the minutes?
Pike going to play 6?
Whoever is not shooting as well as him or not defending. Look at the numbers. People that hit free throws near 80% and don't turn the ball over usually find themselves on the floor.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyC80
Guys , we can play 4 guards / wings offensively all game if we want to ; problem is are they going to play well enough defensively and rebound enough to do this . Some of this will be based on our opponent and our opponents lineup at the time .

if those guys can rebound enough I can see like playing smaller yo make the other team match up to us

They're playing 4 guards 1 big. 5 out offense. Get it and go.

Young will be PG. PM will back him up.
Geo sg. Mathis/CM/Kiss/PM will be back up
Caleb or Yeb wing. Kiss/Mathis/PM back up
Harper fd. Yeb/Carter/Duke will back up
Myles Cntr. Carter/Yen/Duke back up.

I would love to do this but again
Young will be PG. PM will back him up.
Geo sg. Mathis/CM/Kiss/PM will be back up
Caleb or Yeb wing. Kiss/Mathis/PM back up
Harper fd. Yeb/Carter/Duke will back up
Myles Cntr. Carter/Yen/Duke back up.
I would love to do this but that is assuming they can rebound and defend enough to make it work .

You guys know I love to project the minute per game rotation

I’m not even gonna try to take a stab at it ...it’s way too early and it’s gonna change until it’s proven on the court

All I know is that we have a couple of guys that will end up st the bottom of the pecking order that would be getting major minutes almost every other year in the last 20 ..and our 6,7, and 8 guys ...would almost guaranteed to be starters on every Rutgers team in the last 20 years

THAT is progress !!!

Last edited:
I would love to do this but again

I would love to do this but that is assuming they can rebound and defend enough to make it work .

Yea, me to. I'd also like to see Myles, Carter, Harper, Yeb/Caleb and PM or Geo at PG. That's a long line up with three shooters, 5 rebounders, 3 passers, 3 ball handlers and long defenders.

I never said he was a good defender or an even average one. I said I liked the fact he has verbalized that he wants to be.
Man, you really are struggling in this thread. Denying takes that you clearly said. Now you're not even following the argument FIG... My entire point was that you DIDN'T think Caleb is even an average defender. Pull it together

Man, you really are struggling in this thread. Denying takes that you clearly said. Now you're not even following the argument FIG... My entire point was that you DIDN'T think Caleb is even an average defender. Pull it together

Go back and read everything I have said in this thread.

It is my belief, until i see different, Caleb is not an AVERAGE defender. The Caleb I saw last year needs a lot of work with lateral quickness and overall strength. I am VERY encouraged that he has verbally said he wants to be a lock down defender. I also realized he was a freshman last year and was robbed of the summer before his freshman year.

This isn't a threat, but I am considering adding you to my block list. You aren't very nice (at least to me).

Over/Under Guesses?

Baker - 30 - under
Harper - 28 - under
Young - 24 - under
Johnson - 23 - over
Mathis - 22 - over
Yeboah - 20 - over
McConnell - 19 - under
Carter - 18 - under
Mulcahy - 8 - same
Doucoure - 8 - same
Kiss - situational - same (under 5)

Go back and read everything I have said in this thread.

It is my belief, until i see different, Caleb is not an AVERAGE defender. The Caleb I saw last year needs a lot of work with lateral quickness and overall strength. I am VERY encouraged that he has verbally said he wants to be a lock down defender. I also realized he was a freshman last year and was robbed of the summer before his freshman year.

This isn't a threat, but I am considering adding you to my block list. You aren't very nice (at least to me).
I'm just calling out your posts when they are bad takes and directly quoting you. It's a message board. Defend your takes. Or do you just want to be the board know it all and every take is unquestioned gold?

I'll ease up though FIG. I do appreciate your posts overall. I'm just more bullish on the team this year than most and definitely moreso than you. Specifically Young Caleb and Shaq it seems. We shall see how the season plays out.

One thing you are right on is that no one really knows how the season will play out and there's almost alwayssss unexpected surprises both good and bad. Injuries too can completely change everything depending on who gets hit.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I'm just calling out your posts when they are bad takes and directly quoting you. It's a message board. Defend your takes. Or do you just want to be the board know it all and every take is unquestioned gold?

I'll ease up though FIG. I do appreciate your posts overall. I'm just more bullish on the team this year than most and definitely moreso than you. Specifically Young Caleb and Shaq it seems. We shall see how the season plays out.

One thing you are right on is that no one really knows how the season will play out and there's almost alwayssss unexpected surprises both good and bad. Injuries too can completely change everything depending on who gets hit.

Maybe it's easier for me to stomach since your responses aren't directed at me, but I see a lot of "tongue in cheek" and "good natured" banter to your comments at FIG. I mean, #BTF (Bad Take Fig) is pretty funny, though if I were him, I'd probably be offended. But put you on "ignore"? naahhhh come on FIG, don't go THERE!!

One thing we can all agree on is that we're all passionate fans who want our team to succeed. We just have different opinions about how that might, or might not, happen. I don't always (usually don't?) agree with FIG's take on things, but we all think our opinions are correct, and I enjoy seeing the contrary ones as much as the ones that agree with mine.

:Rutgers:Rutgers:Rutgers:Rutgers:Basketball: :Hoops::Basketball: :Hoops::Basketball: :Hoops::Basketball: :Hoops::WooHoo:

Reactions: Scangg
I wish I was as bullish as you and others. We aren’t used to teams around here that can shoot. Good shooting can mask some of the warts I think we may have. Not sure if we are more than an average shooting team, but we have to be better than we have the past X years

X=at least to Mitchell’s senior yesr

Reactions: RUChoppin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT