ADVERTISEMENT

Carino on Myles Johnson

Seems like he'll see way more minutes than Doucoure. Carino mentioned in the podcast the other day that Johnson has been going against Carter/Doorson in 1v1s while Doucoure was going against Luke Nathan. Excited to see what he brings to the table. Any offense will be greatly appreciated but as a big man he's got to be able to get tough rebounds and defend the rim.

After observing the first few practices, Carino also predicted Myles as a "role player". Being able to redshirt him was huge. Like many young big men, I anticipate him "lumbering" a bit this year. It's tough to transform your body when you're 6'10. He may need another year of strength and conditioning.

After observing the first few practices, Carino also predicted Myles as a "role player". Being able to redshirt him was huge. Like many young big men, I anticipate him "lumbering" a bit this year. It's tough to transform your body when you're 6'10. He may need another year of strength and conditioning.
True. But if he's a contributor as a redshirt freshman, he could be really good in the future

It's seeming to me like doorson then Myles at the 5 and Eugene or Carter at the 4 if EO plays some 3. Doucoure maybe the odd man out behind the shaqs Myles and EO in the big man rotation

Reactions: PaKnight
Amy chance we redshirt Ducoure this season??it would let him catch up to where he should be year-wise.

Amy chance we redshirt Ducoure this season??it would let him catch up to where he should be year-wise.

With one sitout (Young) and one open scholarship, we'll probably need Doucoure unless the staff thinks Luke Nathan can give us what he would (if that's the case, then there's a bigger conversation to be had after the year). Doorson and Johnson aren't ironmen so we'll need another body inside to take up space and offer us five more fouls if our other bigs are in foul trouble.

Good idea in theory but with Doorson's history of injury, you can't afford not to have depth in this league.

Also, I think we may be discounting Duke's impact this year based on this article. Duke started and got meaningful experience last year. He definitely will have a role.

The lack of mention of Doucoure and him being matched against Luke Nathan in drills may also be a motivation tool. Doucoure may have needed more self control on defense to keep from foul trouble, but he was still a somewhat capable big body with a decent shot (at times) as a true freshman.

Reactions: Scangg
Good idea in theory but with Doorson's history of injury, you can't afford not to have depth in this league.

Also, I think we may be discounting Duke's impact this year based on this article. Duke started and got meaningful experience last year. He definitely will have a role.

People are overreacting with respect to Docoure. I think he’ll play more than Myles

Was hoping to hear more about an inside scoring threat. Not excited about entering the year with no one who can consistently score inside and no one who can consistently get to the rim.

Reactions: vilo
Was hoping to hear more about an inside scoring threat. Not excited about entering the year with no one who can consistently score inside and no one who can consistently get to the rim.

You’re my new favorite.

Listen, I'm on record thinking we're a year or so away from turning the corner. I think this is a transition year, but you are relentlessly negative here. I'm sure you'll pop on here after a 4 or 5 game losing streak and point out everything you were "right" about instead of looking for growth, but this is a program that's been down for almost 30 years consistently and unfortunately building that back is going to take time, especially when you're trying to turn a roster over into being your players. Now it is Pikiell's players, but he's got to develop them so it won't happen over one year.

You’re my new favorite.

Listen, I'm on record thinking we're a year or so away from turning the corner. I think this is a transition year, but you are relentlessly negative here. I'm sure you'll pop on here after a 4 or 5 game losing streak and point out everything you were "right" about instead of looking for growth, but this is a program that's been down for almost 30 years consistently and unfortunately building that back is going to take time, especially when you're trying to turn a roster over into being your players. Now it is Pikiell's players, but he's got to develop them so it won't happen over one year.

I end nearly all my posts, though not this one, with “I still believe in Pike”.

Pikiell har actually said in video interviews posted this preseason that Myles is an interior scorer. He's not going to be a focal point of the offense though, so I'm not sure how much that will be utilized.

Not sure how anyone can say we have no one that can get to the rim. Geo can get to the rim, although he often uses that to back off the defender for a short mid range shot. Other than that you have 3 new pieces in the backcourt as well as 1 new wing, so we dont get know if they'll be able to get to the rim in the big ten.

I will always take a player making a step forward who was on the court each nighy over a player who hasn't played yet.

Doucoure is wildly skilled but needs to put the pieces together to avoid fouls. But he's conditioned, strong and faster than he appears. Myles has work to do to adjust to the speed of the game but the redshirt will payoff....but i don't see him earning more minutes than Doucoure or Shaq Carter.

I feel the same way, been saying this to others. For me the 2019-2020 season is season one of the turn. This year will be another year of building the foundation and gaining experience. I think we will struggle some this season. Not making predictions and hope we win more than I think. But if this staff and these players stay together, buy into Pikiell's vision, we add Mulcahy, Young, and maybe someone like Pearson next season we start moving forward. Enjoy the ride, but expect some bumps in the road.

I really think that we see a LOT of Eugene and carter together. Carter isn’t small and very athletic and all low post

If I had to bet on the minutes break up at the four and five spot, it would be

Eugene ...26
Carter .....23
Doucoure...14
Doorson/Johnson ...combined 17

Reactions: littlenis5
It's seeming to me like doorson then Myles at the 5 and Eugene or Carter at the 4 if EO plays some 3. Doucoure maybe the odd man out behind the shaqs Myles and EO in the big man rotation

I don't see us using a 5 all that often. I think Dourcoure and Carter split time at the 4 with Eugene playing along side either one of them very often. I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson/Doorson are used mostly to give Doucoure/Carter/Eugene a rest.

I'm not expecting all of Doorson/Doucoure/Johnson to play every game - and I'd imagine Doorson will see several games where he's a DNP - Coach's Decision, just based on matchups.

When they *do* see the court, I'd expect each to get around 10-14 min in the game... but averaged out over the whole season, they'll each probably fall more into the 8-10 min range.

There will be games where we'll need to go bigger, and we'll see Doorson/Johnson getting the minutes down low. Then there will be games where we'll need more mobility, and we'll see more Carter/Doucoure down low. It's great to have the flexibility - not just for game planning, but also for pressure relief valves when there's foul trouble.

A less healthy Shaq Doorson averaged 12/mpg in 30 games last year, and his minutes went up as he started at the end of the year. He was an awkward play against some out of conference teams, but he was also less mobile last year. This year we have 20 B1G games and play SJU/SHU/Miami out of conference.

If you think Shaq, captain and 5th year senior that's finally healthy, is playing less than last year... I think you might be wrong.

A less healthy Shaq Doorson averaged 12/mpg in 30 games last year, and his minutes went up as he started at the end of the year. He was an awkward play against some out of conference teams, but he was also less mobile last year. This year we have 20 B1G games and play SJU/SHU/Miami out of conference.

If you think Shaq, captain and 5th year senior that's finally healthy, is playing less than last year... I think you might be wrong.
Me, you, and a couple others keep trying to tell people this, lol. Maybe we end up being wrong and Shaq is mostly a cheerleader as a senior. But I see him averaging at least 15 mpg with variation based on matchup. He will play 20+ in a lot of games.

Yeah, I agree. If Shaq D--with a leadership role, another year of experience, and good health--is playing just 12 or so minutes a game in '18-'19, then Shaq C and Myles would have to be awfully good. Just don't see it.

Reactions: dkostus
Doorson averaged 12.0 min/game in the 30 games he played, and 10.6 min across all 34 games.

We also only had 3 active bigs taller than 6-7 last year (Doorson, Doucoure, Sa) and this year we have 4 (Carter, Doorson, Doucoure, Johnson). All three bigs averaged 12-13 min last year, and now we have one more 6-9 body added into the mix.

I think Doorson will be more effective in his minutes this year, and he'll again have games where he sees 20+ against teams with big bodies underneath - but I don't see him getting significantly more average minutes. I could be way off base, though.

Hawk,

I usually agree or concede to most of your points, but where does Doucore being “wildly skilled” come from? You’ve probably watched him much more in HS, but he had lots of minutes last year and failed to show much of anything on either side of the ball. To me, this is why I’ve pegged him as the odd man out over anything Carino or others have written (or not written).

Hawk,

I usually agree or concede to most of your points, but where does Doucore being “wildly skilled” come from? You’ve probably watched him much more in HS, but he had lots of minutes last year and failed to show much of anything on either side of the ball. To me, this is why I’ve pegged him as the odd man out over anything Carino or others have written (or not written).
I was surprised by his shot. I think he showed good form and rotation on it.

I said last year how disappointed I was w/ Doucoure (a 4* recruit). I am fully aware that it often takes bigs a while to catch up at this level, but really, he showed me nothing last year, and what further concerns me is his immature behavior on the floor. Hoping the lights go on eventually.

We are in a great place at center. With three scholarship centers plus a walkon we can be very aggressive and not worry about fouls.

Reactions: dkostus
This seems anecdotal or based on one or two random shots he made. He’s 6’10 and shot 36% from the floor and 60% from the line. Nothing about that screams good form on his shot.
It takes real basketball knowledge to see it. And I mean that nicely. If you don't see it then you don't have it. He is very very skilled. Will be be a total stud as an upper class man.

I’m a big Doorson fan and agree with others who have said he will play more minutes per game this year.

More than once last season I commented to my seat mate that Shaq does not make unforced errors and consistently makes positive plays. He has shown good court vision, decent footwork and his size and strength are big pluses.

Shaq is also one of those guys that is easy to root for. A true loyal son who has worked hard to overcome injury, has been a great teammate with a positive attitude and who has shown flashes of aggressiveness and athleticism that give us an idea of what we’ll see from him this year.

I’m a big Doorson fan and agree with others who have said he will play more minutes per game this year.

More than once last season I commented to my seat mate that Shaq does not make unforced errors and consistently makes positive plays. He has shown good court vision, decent footwork and his size and strength are big pluses.

Shaq is also one of those guys that is easy to root for. A true loyal son who has worked hard to overcome injury, has been a great teammate with a positive attitude and who has shown flashes of aggressiveness and athleticism that give us an idea of what we’ll see from him this year.

The footwork and lateral speed is something I hope he can improve this year after a healthy offseason. At times he was a step too slow laterally, which either led to a foul or a defensive breakdown. If his S&C helped add just a touch more lateral quickness, that could really go a long way for him.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
It takes real basketball knowledge to see it. And I mean that nicely. If you don't see it then you don't have it. He is very very skilled. Will be be a total stud as an upper class man.
When he plays 5 minutes a game this year, make sure to let Coach Pikiell know that his real basketball knowledge is lacking.

I know what good rotation on a shot looks like. I also know there’s a difference between doing it in warmups and getting open and hitting it in game. Doucore’s positioning on both sides of the ball seemed suspect all year. That’s why I asked Hawk if he has seen something I don’t see since he actually has watched him in successful environments.

Reactions: kcg88
I wouldn’t get down on Doucoure. I recall Kadeem Jack rated #33 by Rivals seemed lost in Freshman year. It takes some time for BIGS and Doucoure has definitely some up side. I expect our staff to develop him nicely.. we just need to be patient.

Reactions: RUDutch
I wouldn’t get down on Doucoure. I recall Kadeem Jack rated #33 by Rivals seemed lost in Freshman year. It takes some time for BIGS and Doucoure has definitely some up side. I expect our staff to develop him nicely.. we just need to be patient.
I have to be fair, and that is a good comparison. Jack did indeed seem lost as a freshman, much like Duke. By his senior season, Jack averaged 13 and 6. Certainly not the numbers of a total stud, but very good.

I have to be fair, and that is a good comparison. Jack did indeed seem lost as a freshman, much like Duke. By his senior season, Jack averaged 13 and 6. Certainly not the numbers of a total stud, but very good.
13 and 6 is a stud for a big man in the college game. Duke is athletic, especially for his size. Showed good touch and hands for a fresh big man and most importantly showed a great stroke for a big. Huge potential with his jump shot. He just needs to settle in. You will see continued growth from him. I called Hamada being good and Jack after their freshman year and most shot me down. To be fair I called Corey Chandler as being a stud too. I am not saying my calls are perfect but Duke oozes with potential.

Reactions: Scangg and gregkoko
Duke early last season had a great shot inside 10 feet of the rim. As the season went on he lost confidence in his offense but was always aggressive on the boards. The aggressiveness led to foul trouble which took him out of the game - so hence we have not seen a full potential version of Mr Doucoure.

Reactions: BillyC80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT