ADVERTISEMENT

Carino Q&A with Pikiell (new)

Darn, the site says I have met my limit. Any other highlights of the article? Thanks

“The biggest takeaway for me is we can really score and we had four different leading scores in the games, so we can pass the ball. We are not very good defensively. As we’re recruiting kids who can score more, we can’t lose our identity, which is defense and rebounding.”

This will be your theme for the season. Not that I had any doubts, he knows the pulse of the program.

Liked hearing Carter as the most improved player, and that Pike seems to be expecting a lot from him this year.

Yes....in reality I wish he would have named 7 or 8 other guys though.

I realize these answers are often "throw a bone" type of things.

Our offense was closer to Big Ten average than our defense last season.

Reactions: RUsojo
“But every season brings different obstacles and different problems. We’ve got to continue to preach those things, and now we have to expect to win. Expecting to win has to become part of this culture, too.”

He gets it. A coach must talk about winning. Our lacrosse coach speaks this way. I've heard our wrestling coach and w. soccer coach speak this way. It inspires confidence.

I have never heard Ash speak this way.

I hope Yeboah's knee injury doesn't become a chronic thing like Eugene's. He's an important piece to our front court.

I also hope that Carter's improvement is not only on the offensive end, but on the defensive end. Losing EO hurts our interior defense and toughness, and Carter is the closest thing we have to a post presence to replace EO.

Based on Pike's repeated comments about Carter this summer, I'm now thinking that Carter will play 20+- minutes at the 4, with Yeboah getting the other 20+- (plus Yeboah probably playing some 3 as well). It's really going to depend on matchups, and the style of the opponent we play. If we need to play "big," Carter gets more of the minutes at the 4. If we can go small ball, then Yeboah and/or Harper can play the 4.

Soooooo excited for hoops.

Reactions: RUHouston
“But every season brings different obstacles and different problems. We’ve got to continue to preach those things, and now we have to expect to win. Expecting to win has to become part of this culture, too.”

He gets it. A coach must talk about winning. Our lacrosse coach speaks this way. I've heard our wrestling coach and w. soccer coach speak this way. It inspires confidence.

Spot on comment about winning. I am happy to hear Coach Pikiell mentioning its importance during the interview.

Reactions: Caliknight

This guys totally gets it

We are going to win again in Rutgers basketball

And maybe...win big some of the time

And...I think that starts THIS year !!!

Reactions: RUHouston
“The biggest takeaway for me is we can really score and we had four different leading scores in the games, so we can pass the ball. We are not very good defensively. As we’re recruiting kids who can score more, we can’t lose our identity, which is defense and rebounding.”

This will be your theme for the season. Not that I had any doubts, he knows the pulse of the program.

I like the subtle psychological jab to the team there: "We are not very good defensively."

Larissa, you are talking to someone who doesn’t have an ATM card, EZPass, a DVR, and has never purchased anything on the internet.I still look at color TV as something brand new. I have no idea how to clear history. I have an Apple phone. Anyone know how to clear history on an Apple phone. It is the 7 model.

Larissa, you are talking to someone who doesn’t have an ATM card, EZPass, a DVR, and has never purchased anything on the internet.I still look at color TV as something brand new. I have no idea how to clear history. I have an Apple phone. Anyone know how to clear history on an Apple phone. It is the 7 model.
Lol. I'm a Droid man myself. Anyone else?

Yes....in reality I wish he would have named 7 or 8 other guys though.

I realize these answers are often "throw a bone" type of things.
I don't know if I agree its a "throw a bone" answer. The previous 2 offseasons Pi was raving about Gene being the most improved and he was right both times. Carter had a lot of room to improve on the defense and rebounding side so maybe he just took a massive jump. We have seen Pi be able to do this with many guys especially bigs (Myles, Doorson, EO, etc)

I don't know if I agree its a "throw a bone" answer. The previous 2 offseasons Pi was raving about Gene being the most improved and he was right both times. Carter had a lot of room to improve on the defense and rebounding side so maybe he just took a massive jump. We have seen Pi be able to do this with many guys especially bigs (Myles, Doorson, EO, etc)
I agree. Last preseason we heard a lot of good things about Myles as well. Spot on. I think it's a great sign that he's giving early praise for Shaq. Having another big man step up is critical for this team.

you are talking to someone who doesn’t have an ATM card, EZPass, a DVR, and has never purchased anything on the internet.
Just wow! First of all, that's crazy for 2019 unless you are 70+. Secondly, you're the one who always did or does provide links to buy Rutgers stuff, no? I'm so confused.

Love these comments by Pike:

“We have a lot of positionless guys.” Makes me think of guys like Caleb, who, with his height and skill, can play the 1, 2, or 3. And Ron who can play the 2, 3 or 4 (I’m guessing Akwasi is that versatile as well).

Paraphrasing: “(With all this talent) if a guy has a bad practice he may not start.” Love the idea that the guys have to work hard every day and nothing is given to them.

And the aforementioned “We’re not very good defensively.” Pike does not blow smoke up anyone’s ass — players or fans. You know when he says something it’s meaningful and genuine.

Not quite that age RUbigtime, but I probably should have been born decades before. And probably in Iowa. I guess I can throw in I never had a pager and only have a cell phone because when I used to go hiking in Sussex County, my sisters and Mom were worried that I would get attacked by a bear. Never mind the fact that bears in New Jersey almost never attack people or the fact that parts of Sussex County do not have cell service. And can you figure out a way to stop the bear until you make the call and a SWAT team arrives? Let me know if you do. lol

After the last 15 years I will take "not good at defense" over "not good at offense." It is much easier to hide defensive shortcomings with effort and good coaching and we all know how good of a X's and O's coach PI is. By his tone it looks like he thinks we are 1 year from truly being the squad he wants

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT