ADVERTISEMENT

Carino: Rutgers should be favored against Seton Hall

A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

Jerry talks about the SHU schedule on this podcast and says that in their three games vs St Louis, Iowa St and Rutgers the only one they should be favored in is St Louis. He thinks itd be a success for them to split Iowa State and Rutgers.
I totally agree, I think we’re a slight favorite vs SHU this year with all things considered. We present match up NIGHTMARES for them, we have a bunch of fiesty guards to throw at their only scorer and of course the RAC which only has about 100 tix left for this game which are in about 95%+ RU fans hands.
Cant wait for this game

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...0-season-preview/id1462250712?i=1000453695975

listen at 1 hour and 9 minutes

Jerry talks about the SHU schedule on this podcast and says that in their three games vs St Louis, Iowa St and Rutgers the only one they should be favored in is St Louis. He thinks itd be a success for them to split Iowa State and Rutgers.
I totally agree, I think we’re a slight favorite vs SHU this year with all things considered. We present match up NIGHTMARES for them, we have a bunch of fiesty guards to throw at their only scorer and of course the RAC which only has about 100 tix left for this game which are in about 95%+ RU fans hands.
Cant wait for this game

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...0-season-preview/id1462250712?i=1000453695975

listen at 1 hour and 9 minutes
I thought SH was a preseason top-25 pick, and we're just above the basement of the Big Ten

Reactions: donnie_baseball
From the optimist viewpoint you could also take that him taking in a practice pushed this notion, but i tend to believe with Jerry its blowing smoke. Huge SHU homer.

Jerry gassing it up in case we pull the upset. We will not be favored against SHU.
If SHU is 5-2 and we are 9-1 coming into the game, which is very possible if you look at each team’s schedule, we’d be favored. There will also be a Michigan State comparison for Vegas to go off of.

Theyre a preseason top 25 projected to win the big east, with the projected BE POY. Regardless of how we enter the game they will have the vegas line.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Theyre a preseason top 25 projected to win the big east, with the projected BE POY. Regardless of how we enter the game they will have the vegas line.
Disagree. 9-1 vs 5-2 and let’s say we’re more competitive against Mich St than they were, we’d be favored at home. We’d also be in the top 25 or close to it ourselves at that point, with wins over Wisc and Pitt.

Disagree. 9-1 vs 5-2 and let’s say we’re more competitive against Mich St than they were, we’d be favored at home. We’d also be in the top 25 or close to it ourselves at that point, with wins over Wisc and Pitt.
Even if 9-1, we wouldnt be ranked imo. Unless one of those wins was over mich st. voters wont be impressed enough with 6 cupcakes the bonnies, wiscy and pitt

Even if 9-1, we wouldnt be ranked imo. Unless one of those wins was over mich st. voters wont be impressed enough with 6 cupcakes the bonnies, wiscy and pitt
Depends on what other teams are doing, are we beating Drexel, Bryant etc by 25 (or not), etc.

9-1 with some blowout wins and a 10 or less pt loss to MSU would definitely be receiving lots of votes.

Please don't listen or take Carino seriously here...he is still an SHU grad and fan at heart and deflecting a ton here. He was essentially confirming just a week ago that SHU was preseason #1 for Big East ranking and has the preseason Player of the Year with Myles Powell at BE Media Day.

If Nova, Xavier, Marquette all had games at the RAC, Vegas would all have those teams favored. SHU will be favored entering the RAC.

Jerry is a SHU grad but you could tell that Rutgers has grown on him. I don’t think we will be favored but shu not by much. Powell is a great player and they have others. We can beat them at the RAC but need a perfect game.

If Powell is off that night we are going to put a beating on them. I think Pike will have a great defensive plan that night. Mathis and Caleb in his face all night long. Caleb has so much length he can contest everything and Mathis can muscle him a bit. Rutgers is primed for a big statement win here in their breakout season

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
If Powell is off that night we are going to put a beating on them. I think Pike will have a great defensive plan that night. Mathis and Caleb in his face all night long. Caleb has so much length he can contest everything and Mathis can muscle him a bit. Rutgers is primed for a big statement win here in their breakout season
Plus young

Reactions: Scangg
Shoe has no other household names, but fellas- They DO have other players. IDC if you label all the others as role players, they still play a role and the high ranking and high expectations are mostly due to Powell but those other guys factor in. For example, didn't their big guy... the white foreigner with all the tats... give us problems at their house last year? And they have a capable PG in McKnight. I like us in the matchup for obvious reasons... we have some legit talent and depth, plus the magic of the RAC. But we've seen this before... Shoe comes in and it's bombs away and they hit EVERYTHING. Heck the Johnnies did it to us at the RAC last year.

Shoe has no other household names, but fellas- They DO have other players. IDC if you label all the others as role players, they still play a role and the high ranking and high expectations are mostly due to Powell but those other guys factor in. For example, didn't their big guy... the white foreigner with all the tats... give us problems at their house last year? And they have a capable PG in McKnight. I like us in the matchup for obvious reasons... we have some legit talent and depth, plus the magic of the RAC. But we've seen this before... Shoe comes in and it's bombs away and they hit EVERYTHING. Heck the Johnnies did it to us at the RAC last year.
Yeah mamu hit some prayer 3's for them at the pebble last year. The kid is like a 29% 3-pt shooter and hit 3-4 3's vs us. Mamu isn't good enough on the block to take it to guys like yeboah and shaq carter. SHU also has two trees at the 5 who really don't move well in ro gill and ike who pose little to no offensive threat. Then you have Myles Cale who Ron Harper should take complete advantage of and be able to shut down on the other end of the floor and then Quincy McKnight who is a defensive stalwart but is really not good on the other end of the floor. They seriously lack quality depth, it's the reason I can't fathom how the hell they're generating all this pre-season hype. It's powell and a bunch of bums. Their 2nd best player in Mamu and he's basically a poor mans eugene

Reactions: Scangg and DirtyRU
I think SHU's other players all have talent but are not in the same area as Powell. Powell killed us last year as he ate up Thiam. Kiss and Thiam both played major minutes. I think McConnell, Mathis and Young will all get turns guarding Powell this year. Mamu hurt us from deep as well. Our freshmen really improved in the second half of the season. Cale is good too as is McKnight and Gill blocked many of our shots last year. The new center from Florida State blocked many of our shots two years ago at the RAC. I doubt they will be on the floor together but we probably should be careful shooting the ball in close against both of those guys. It will be a really tough game but the RAC atmosphere could disrupt SHU like id did in 2017. I think we outscored them like 17-2 over the last 5 minutes. The RAC should be wild on December 14.

Bottom line - if we beat SHU, we will have a very good year!

Yeah mamu hit some prayer 3's for them at the pebble last year. The kid is like a 29% 3-pt shooter and hit 3-4 3's vs us. Mamu isn't good enough on the block to take it to guys like yeboah and shaq carter. SHU also has two trees at the 5 who really don't move well in ro gill and ike who pose little to no offensive threat. Then you have Myles Cale who Ron Harper should take complete advantage of and be able to shut down on the other end of the floor and then Quincy McKnight who is a defensive stalwart but is really not good on the other end of the floor. They seriously lack quality depth, it's the reason I can't fathom how the hell they're generating all this pre-season hype. It's powell and a bunch of bums. Their 2nd best player in Mamu and he's basically a poor mans eugene

That post is going to age well.

Powell is the best player we’ve had since Terry Dehere but he also has a big and strong supporting cast. Unlike any we’ve ever had. Shot blockers. Also
Mamu at sf will be the surprise of the season. Played in Europe all summer.
Tough, smart and has matured.
Your team will also surprise. Excellent coach. Baker a pest.
Will be great game against you.
A fb aside-why did Hobbs need a search firm for 90k? Does that mean if he makes another poor choice he can blame the search firm?

SHU is a good program and like most of the teams in the B1G, RU will have to play well to beat SHU. And SHU and RU really didn't play well in last year's matchup.

Playing Thiam and Kiss and Eugene major minutes in last years matchup, vs Jacob Young, Caleb McConnell, Paul Mulcahy and Yeboah this year.

RU is much better than the version that played at The Rock last year. The question is how much better can SHU be as a program, unless Powell is a significantly better player this year.

When Powell is taking 40% of the teams shots in games, it comes down to whether Powell passes up shots and the rest of the roster carries the weight OR does he carry SHU.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
SHU wil also have more weapons on O + D

Mamu like noted above has played all summer and by all accounts the threes we thought were flukes on us last will have to be accounted for. Myles is well Myles. Cale, Nelson etc will also all be 1 year older and better. Mcknight is a lockdown D guy. Obiagu and their other 7'er will be problems for slasher and any ground in the lane.

SHould be a very interesting matchup

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Cale averaged 10.2 ppg and shot 38% from 3-pt range last year. If he had those stats on Rutgers, we would be touting him as a potential all-conference player. Kid is 6-6 and can absolutely play. He will benefit alot from the focus on Powell, who is also a good passer btw.

Powell
Cale
McKnight
are as good a three-some at Guard as you will see.

And Mamu can play too, he's going to be a tough matchup.

COD - Clueless Post of the Day. Every sport magazine and reporter has SH top 20 in country. Obviously they disagree with your (biased) analysis and for good reason. :Poop

COD - Clueless Post of the Day. Every sport magazine and reporter has SH top 20 in country. Obviously they disagree with your (biased) analysis and for good reason. :Poop
Thats ok but why? Whats the rationale? Myles powell? Hes good, he aint that good

Thats ok but why? Whats the rationale? Myles powell? Hes good, he aint that good
You tend to hyper-promote our guys, and that's fine, but they have some players too. I'll tell you right now, the kid from FSU might be the best center we see all year. He definitely is defensively. If you watch tape of FSU's 2017 NCAA run, you'll see what I'm saying.

And Powell is the best player on the floor, no question.

You tend to hyper-promote our guys, and that's fine, but they have some players too. I'll tell you right now, the kid from FSU might be the best center we see all year. He definitely is defensively. If you watch tape of FSU's 2017 NCAA run, you'll see what I'm saying.

And Powell is the best player on the floor, no question.
Agreed powell will be the best player on the floor on 12/14. But there’s no one else. No one. Ike is a 7’1 ball of warm matter

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT