ADVERTISEMENT

Carino tweet on Jaden status

I'm looking forward to his development. When I think of freshmen starting their college careers, I reflect on what one of the B1G coaches said last month: "The only similarity between high school and college basketball is the ball is round and the rim is ten feet high."

That put it into perspective, so if Jaden is able to adjust and perhaps get some playing time when games have been decided, he will grow that much more quickly.

With both Mag and Caleb being worked back into the rotation, I'm not sure how Pike can find him game experience at this point in the season except for maybe an OOC game.

With both Mag and Caleb being worked back into the rotation, I'm not sure how Pike can find him game experience at this point in the season except for maybe an OOC game.

he certainly could have found him time in the last 10 minutes of the MSU game. He could have played in the second half Saturday as well. OSU had a high school kid in.

Spring semester starts Tues, Jan 19, I would guess the first game eligible for playing time is Indiana, Jan 24th, unless an OOC game is scheduled Jan 20ish. I wouldn't be shocked if he earns playing time right away against Indiana or mystery opponent watching his skill set offensively/defensively over the last year in HS.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
So the fact that this season doesn't count towards eligibility makes him stepping right in an option? Is that what is going on here?

Reactions: brad1218
So the fact that this season doesn't count towards eligibility makes him stepping right in an option? Is that what is going on here?

Technically, correct. But the kid has never practiced with the team, and there's just no way for him to quickly learn defensive rotations, etc. to enable him to "step right in" right away.

To begin with, everybody has said the "plan" is for him to just practice with the team like Palmquist did last year, but not play in games.

But, even if they alter that plan, I cannot imagine he would have enough knowledge of Pike's system until after at least a couple of weeks of practice. So, IF they're inclined to play him, I wouldn't think we'd see him in games until some time in February.

Technically, correct. But the kid has never practiced with the team, and there's just no way for him to quickly learn defensive rotations, etc. to enable him to "step right in" right away.

To begin with, everybody has said the "plan" is for him to just practice with the team like Palmquist did last year, but not play in games.

But, even if they alter that plan, I cannot imagine he would have enough knowledge of Pike's system until after at least a couple of weeks of practice. So, IF they're inclined to play him, I wouldn't think we'd see him in games until some time in February.
Just to push back a little, but in the pro's, a guy gets traded midseason, that guy steps right in.

I know this is a different level, but I think there is some level of "it's just basketball" as well.

I think if he's physically ready to play, he'll be able to learn enough to get some pt.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Just to push back a little, but in the pro's, a guy gets traded midseason, that guy steps right in.

I know this is a different level, but I think there is some level of "it's just basketball" as well.

I think if he's physically ready to play, he'll be able to learn enough to get some pt.

But we're talking about a kid who was in HIGH SCHOOL two weeks ago. It's apples and oranges going from high school defense to playing defense under a defensive coach like Pike, and in the Big Ten no less.

Typical freshmen have 5 months of summer/fall practice (June-October) before then being able to play in 8 or 10 out of conference games, and even then MOST of them still struggle to find their sea legs. It's the rare freshman who can come right in and make an impact early on.

JJ won't have that 5 months, or those 8 or 10 OOC games, to get acclimated. Believing that he can step right in and make much impact -- even if he practices for a few weeks -- is just a fantasy, if I'm being totally honest.

Reactions: Scarlet83 and RU-05

You are 100% correct. Waiting to learn the system is hogwash. He has to pass the covid protocols and I don't know what would take so long to get his spring registration in order.

If he can play good man to man defense. He plays. It's not like we are running some complicated offensive system. Kid has probably played 100 AAU games in the last 3 years.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Reactions: RU-05
Cliff coming in was a consensus top 50 recruit for his Defense and Rebounding skill set with ability to score In a few ways. Think of Jaden Jones in that way but on the offensive end, scoring at all 3 levels with passing skill set(tbh, I think he would be in that 3-7 2nd offensive tier, behind RHJ and JY only, of scorers like MM, Geo, Caleb, Myles), with the ability to defend in a few ways until he learns the system. Best comparison is Caleb McConnell, both are 6'8 195 but Caleb glides, finesse, smooth, Jaden more grit, strength, edge like JY.

But we're talking about a kid who was in HIGH SCHOOL two weeks ago. It's apples and oranges going from high school defense to playing defense under a defensive coach like Pike, and in the Big Ten no less.

Typical freshmen have 5 months of summer/fall practice (June-October) before then being able to play in 8 or 10 out of conference games, and even then MOST of them still struggle to find their sea legs. It's the rare freshman who can come right in and make an impact early on.

JJ won't have that 5 months, or those 8 or 10 OOC games, to get acclimated. Believing that he can step right in and make much impact -- even if he practices for a few weeks -- is just a fantasy, if I'm being totally honest.
Obviously it depends on the player, but there have been High School kids who have jumped to the NBA and played very well.

And Pike will also look for matchup options. I wouldn't expect many minutes against the oppositions starters.

But we shall see. I expect he'll get some minutes just to see how he does, then go from there.

Reactions: zebnatto
OSU just had an early HS enrollee (4 star) who had only practiced with the team for one week see playing time against RU. Jaden is the same level talent and will get on the court after he gets a few practices under his belt.

Sharife Cooper is a five star freshman at Auburn. He was recently cleared to play this year and LIT IT UP in his first two games. I'm not saying Jones is that level of talent, but if he is good enough to contribute, he absolutely should play.

He should take Palmquest's playing time. I heard so much about what a good shooter he is. Has not looked that way yet.

ADVERTISEMENT