ADVERTISEMENT

Carli Lloyd: Sporting News women's soccer Athlete of the Decade

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
Congrats to Carli Lloyd ! One of RU's finest athletes ever.

"In the space of a single tournament, Carli Lloyd traveled from underrated American great to all-time national team legend. A successful World Cup can do that for a player, and her performance in 2015 required a far grander modifier than that"

"Lloyd scored in each of the final four games of the tournament and needed only 16 minutes of the final to deliver a dazzling hat trick, tearing through the knockout stages on a mission to add another star to the United States women’s national team’s crest – and to establish her standing among the greatest American players. "

When it was over, it suddenly was impossible to discuss the greatest players in U.S. history — Michele Akers, Mia Hamm, Kristine Lilly, Abby Wambach — without including Lloyd in the conversation.

"The game of women’s soccer took another huge leap forward in the 2010s, with professional leagues becoming more established and lucrative in the U.S. and Europe and audiences for the major tournaments multiplying. And though there were many extraordinary players accelerating that growth, no one stood above the crowd more than Lloyd."

"She scored the decisive goal at both the 2012 London Olympics and the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup. She scored a combined five goals in those finals. She scored a combined 10 goals in those two tournaments, and they were mostly against heavyweights: four on Japan, one on Germany, one on France.

Before she traveled to Canada to take on the world in 2015, Lloyd talked with Sporting News about her propensity to score goals in the biggest games. Our conversation occurred when some statisticians had begun making the case that there was no such thing as a clutch player. And Lloyd, in a semantic sense, agreed with that contention.

“I would maybe use a different term. I would use ‘champions,’” Lloyd told SN. “You’ve got the likes of Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Messi — all these players who can step out onto the field and help win a game for their team.

“Those are the moments you live for. I love those moments: the pressure situations, when everbody’s doubting you and your back’s up against the wall. I think throughout my career I’ve constantly proved all the doubters wrong.”

Full Story

Congrats to Carli Lloyd ! One of RU's finest athletes ever.

"In the space of a single tournament, Carli Lloyd traveled from underrated American great to all-time national team legend. A successful World Cup can do that for a player, and her performance in 2015 required a far grander modifier than that"

"Lloyd scored in each of the final four games of the tournament and needed only 16 minutes of the final to deliver a dazzling hat trick, tearing through the knockout stages on a mission to add another star to the United States women’s national team’s crest – and to establish her standing among the greatest American players. "

When it was over, it suddenly was impossible to discuss the greatest players in U.S. history — Michele Akers, Mia Hamm, Kristine Lilly, Abby Wambach — without including Lloyd in the conversation.

"The game of women’s soccer took another huge leap forward in the 2010s, with professional leagues becoming more established and lucrative in the U.S. and Europe and audiences for the major tournaments multiplying. And though there were many extraordinary players accelerating that growth, no one stood above the crowd more than Lloyd."

"She scored the decisive goal at both the 2012 London Olympics and the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup. She scored a combined five goals in those finals. She scored a combined 10 goals in those two tournaments, and they were mostly against heavyweights: four on Japan, one on Germany, one on France.

Before she traveled to Canada to take on the world in 2015, Lloyd talked with Sporting News about her propensity to score goals in the biggest games. Our conversation occurred when some statisticians had begun making the case that there was no such thing as a clutch player. And Lloyd, in a semantic sense, agreed with that contention.

“I would maybe use a different term. I would use ‘champions,’” Lloyd told SN. “You’ve got the likes of Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Messi — all these players who can step out onto the field and help win a game for their team.

“Those are the moments you live for. I love those moments: the pressure situations, when everbody’s doubting you and your back’s up against the wall. I think throughout my career I’ve constantly proved all the doubters wrong.”

Full Story

Sending this to a sophomore standout in Washington, who's UNDECIDED! See you for Christmas....Rose!:CHOP:

MO

Reactions: Loyal-Son
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT