ADVERTISEMENT

Carter

Big East Beast

All American
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2001
Carter’s 340 yds was the first 300 yd game for a Rutgers QB since 2005 (!)

That was also the year we went to a bowl game for the first time in 25+ years.

He looks like the real deal to me; several of those throws were right on the money. Let’s hope he keeps it rollin’.

He looks like the real deal to me; several of those throws were right on the money. Let’s hope he keeps it rollin’.

This is definitely not true. Gary Nova had 400 against Michigan. Hell Mike Teel against Louisville in 2008. Those are just off the top of my head.

Excited by what I saw from Carter, but there’s no way that stat is true. Wanna say Nova was close to 400 yards at Arkansas in 2012 and home against Michigan in 2014. Possibly another few times as well.

This is definitely not true. Gary Nova had 400 against Michigan. Hell Mike Teel against Louisville in 2008. Those are just off the top of my head.

You are right. I misread the stat from the NJ.com article. It was first time for a first start since 2005.

For perspective:
Carter is #17 in the country with 340 passing yards.

In 2018, 5 teams (Wash St, Ohio St, Texas Tech, WVU, Ole Miss) and 3 players (Minshaw, Haskins, Grier) AVERAGED over 340 passing yards per game.

Imagine getting this production every single game.

I like what I saw but around 50 of those yards were 2 jet sweeps to Blackshear. On the other hand what was more of a pass ito Pacheco counted as a run because he threw it backwards. Honestly don’t care if we call them runs or passes as long as we keep making those chunk plays.

I like what I saw but around 50 of those yards were 2 jet sweeps to Blackshear. On the other hand what was more of a pass ito Pacheco counted as a run because he threw it backwards. Honestly don’t care if we call them runs or passes as long as we keep making those chunk plays.
And how many other QBs on the 300+ yard list also had some screens and jet sweeps in their totals?

It’s like saying if we only hadn’t caused those two stupid penalties on defense that extended drives should’ve meant we would’ve held UMass to only 7 points instead of 21.

Reactions: goru7
Here ya go!

10/17/2015 - Indiana
Passing, C-A-I, Yds, TD
Chris Laviano, 28-42-1, 386, 3

11/28/2015 - Maryland
Passing, C-A-I, Yds, TD
Chris Laviano, 21-33-1, 344, 4

Rettig threw for 700 yards against against Sam Houston Tech.

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: MJL_52
And how many other QBs on the 300+ yard list also had some screens and jet sweeps in their totals?

It’s like saying if we only hadn’t caused those two stupid penalties on defense that extended drives should’ve meant we would’ve held UMass to only 7 points instead of 21.
I didn’t mention screens and in the past we handed off our jet sweeps so they were runs. I liked what I saw just think that should be a run for Blackshear which changes his stats too. Good point on the penalties but our D did a great job getting off the field. We had many plays on Offense. Let’s forget he didn’t play the last drive or two either. He could have hit 400 if the game was closer like Nova against Arkansas or Laviano against Indiana. Then again, this was U Mass so it all evens out.

I give Carter a B+ and it would go up a tick with each interception not happening. Then again, I’m an easy grader.

Reactions: RUHouston
Passing yards are just so hard to really understand. A one yard completion can turn into a 90+ yarder with the receiver doing the rest on his own.
With today's sophisticated stats, this should really be adjusted to show both the actual yardage for the pass and the running yardage.

Jet sweeps count as passing yards? How?

Jet sweeps count as passing yards? How?
We are tossing it forward and overhand. That’s a pass that travels 2 inches in the air but Blackshear turned one into around 35-40 yards and one into around 10-15 yards. I didn’t track them exactly: We also did it late in the game with Langan and Young for 8 yards.

This thread made me go back and look at Teel vs Louisville in 2008.

He only threw 26 passes, completing 21 for 447 yards and 7 TD. Incredible.
2008 was a bizarre season: the first 5-6 games we couldn't seem to get our offense on the same page. But then things clicked, and they just blew people away.

Reactions: RUPete
Teel also had a huge game against Pitt in 2008. Threw 21 passes, completing 14 for 361 yards, 6 tds, 1 int. 5 td passes in the 1st half alone. Britt, 3 tds, Tim Brown 2 tds. 54 points.

That Pitt team was good led by LeSean McCoy and ranked #17 heading into that game. He had 4 tds in that game. They turned around and beat ND in South Bend the very next week and ended up winning 9 games.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
We are tossing it forward and overhand. That’s a pass that travels 2 inches in the air but Blackshear turned one into around 35-40 yards and one into around 10-15 yards. I didn’t track them exactly: We also did it late in the game with Langan and Young for 8 yards.

That really is not a Jet Sweep then.

Slight difference in terminology and risk.

Thanks.

Must have been. I will watch later.
No it’s not quite a shovel pass either. It’s a quick touch pass. It’s a flip with two hands the shovel pass is more like a draw play with a flip forward. The Pats I think did this in the Super Bowl. If not then it was one of the Conference Championship games by one of those teams. I’m not sure what teams are calling it but it’s run exactly like the Jet Sweep with an inside handoff but the ball is tossed instead of handed off. I’ll go with Jet Sweep until I hear otherwise. It’s the same play and same risks.

Don’t confuse this toss with the backwards tosses to Pacheco that we also ran in 2006 to Rice. Those are run plays because they are tossed backwards.

Last edited:
Okay I just googled Jet sweep touch pass and they show a video of the Pats doing this against the Dolphins on you tube.

Last edited:
Teel also had a huge game against Pitt in 2008. Threw 21 passes, completing 14 for 361 yards, 6 tds, 1 int. 5 td passes in the 1st half alone. Britt, 3 tds, Tim Brown 2 tds. 54 points.

I was at that one — great game. I miss the Pitt road trips. It’s a fun city for a weekend

Reactions: patk89
2008 was a bizarre season: the first 5-6 games we couldn't seem to get our offense on the same page. But then things clicked, and they just blew people away.
I always wonder what the inside story of that season was. The light switch on offense was off then it miraculously flipped on. Was it the team loosening up after getting a reprieve from the missed UConn FG, or was there less micromanaging of the offense from the HC?

That was the same year Teel allegedly took a swing at someone on the sidelines I think.

That game against Louisville was wonderful. I remember a few UL fans at the game thanking us for getting Kragthorpe fired. We could have scored 100 that night.

That was the same year Teel allegedly took a swing at someone on the sidelines I think.

That game against Louisville was wonderful. I remember a few UL fans at the game thanking us for getting Kragthorpe fired. We could have scored 100 that night.

Allegedly? Tv cameras caught teel clocking glen Lee at navy after teel through the interception to seal the loss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT