ADVERTISEMENT

Center of College Avenue Campus to be renovated, Barchi says

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
ZrRPG5J
https://www.dailytargum.com/article...ege-avenue-campus-to-be-renovated-barchi-says

“The biggest piece that is moving forward is the project here, on the other side of Bishop (Street), that will cut across the campus from the Barn (Rutgers Fitness Center) to the river,” Barchi said. “And, hopefully, with a pedestrian bridge from the start of the river to the park.”

To do this, Rutgers will have to begin the removal of Records Hall, a building behind Brower Commons, and then upgrade a co-generational plant for the campus, Barchi said.

Brower Commons will ultimately be replaced as well, but its replacement must be built before the current cafeteria on the College Avenue campus is removed, Barchi said.

https://www.dailytargum.com/article...ege-avenue-campus-to-be-renovated-barchi-says

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Is there any pictures of what this will look like once complete?

Nice to see this being done. The College avenue campus needs to be upgraded and made more attractive. Although Rutgers is a fine university , what's really held it back ( IMO) has been its unattractive campus. The fact that it has several campuses spread out from New Brunswick to Piscataway has also been a detriment. This forum often criticizes Barchi for his supposed lack of commitment to athletics but I think he's been an outstanding president whose accomplishments have been many. Whenever he steps down he will leave Rutgers in far better shape than how he found it. .....Now if he can hire Schiano as the new head coach, a lasting great legasy.

That’s good news for the College Ave area. Brower Commons was crappy in the early 90’s. I can imagine what it looks like now.

Although it wasn’t explicitly stated, it would be great if college ave from Brower Commons to the River was closed to cars and buses and just make it a big plaza.
George Street is pretty important for cars navigating the area.

will be nice to rip the street out and have a grassy common area.

Amazingly, it looks like two of the river dorms will stay put. Probably urban legend but I always heard these were supposed to be used for 10 years as "temporary houseing" back in the 50s and 60s.

Reactions: FastMJ
Amazingly, it looks like two of the river dorms will stay put. Probably urban legend but I always heard these were supposed to be used for 10 years as "temporary housing" back in the 50s and 60s.
I used to think the same thing but was explained by somebody who would know, that's what a dormitory is...temporary housing.

I used to think the same thing but was explained by somebody who would know, that's what a dormitory is...temporary housing.
I'm pretty sure that urban legend has conflated the river dorms with the temporary WW2 surplus barracks that were erected in the same location in the late '40's to handle the huge influx of former GI's coming in.

Where does the power plant end up in this plan along with the parking garage they would have to tear down? When I hear about things happening from a report like this or a master plan my first reaction is not 'it's happening'

Where does the power plant end up in this plan along with the parking garage they would have to tear down? When I hear about things happening from a report like this or a master plan my first reaction is not 'it's happening'
Parking underground. It’s in the report.

This will go a long way in helping recruit students. many other campuses are noewer and more modern. Just like when we take a job we want new and modern vs a crusty old work environment.

As a side note i saw an ad on the Turnpike for Univ of Maine offering NJ kids rates equal to what they would pay at Rutgers in state.

This will go a long way in helping recruit students. many other campuses are noewer and more modern. Just like when we take a job we want new and modern vs a crusty old work environment.

As a side note i saw an ad on the Turnpike for Univ of Maine offering NJ kids rates equal to what they would pay at Rutgers in state.
UMAINE runs those billboards all over the northeast, saying they will match the local in-state tuition of each state's state U.

The steam plant is being relocated and made much smaller (more modern systems).
The master plan shows a large parking garage behind the Barn, plus underground parking under the new quad. This will be built, but I have doubts that the ped. bridge across the river doesn't get cut.

Except that means college life in freakin ORONO Maine...not the end of the earth but it is visible from there!!!

The Raritan River is not a dirty river. Like most rivers in NJ (especially the Passaic) is has a muddy bottom which makes it appear dirty.
Way back when there was talk of getting the river clean enough to reintroduce salmon into the north and south branch rivers in hope they would eventually spawn. I never heard of them stocking the rivers. Not sure if the Raritan holds any shad either, but if they can't navigate the bay because of pollution, they'll never make it to NB.
As a kid we use to catch herring below the dam on Farrington Lake by exit 9 of the Tnpk that had migrated up.

Reactions: Ruthinking
Way back when there was talk of getting the river clean enough to reintroduce salmon into the north and south branch rivers in hope they would eventually spawn. I never heard of them stocking the rivers. Not sure if the Raritan holds any shad either, but if they can't navigate the bay because of pollution, they'll never make it to NB.
As a kid we use to catch herring below the dam on Farrington Lake by exit 9 of the Tnpk that had migrated up.
That's a whole different kind of dirty. I would not eat anything caught in the Raritan river.

Then again, I don't eat seafood at all, so it's a moot point for me. If a cow or chicken steps in a small stream, it's right off my menu.

Amazingly, it looks like two of the river dorms will stay put. Probably urban legend but I always heard these were supposed to be used for 10 years as "temporary houseing" back in the 50s and 60s.

That’s an urban legend. The River Dorms were designed to be permanent. You can read about them in the Rutgers Since 1945 book. They were the first dorms to break from the tradition colonial style dorms on College Ave.

Scarlet Jerry

Reactions: Ruthinking
That's a whole different kind of dirty. I would not eat anything caught in the Raritan river.

Then again, I don't eat seafood at all, so it's a moot point for me. If a cow or chicken steps in a small stream, it's right off my menu.
So surf & turf and mixed grill are out ? Go with the farm raised fare.

Last edited:
Reactions: mildone
...and how exactly do you monitor said cows or chickens to make sure no stream steps were taken?
It's like when I've been out doing ocean sailing races and am handed a sandwich made by a crew-member that I know took the opportunity, while below deck, to visit the head and, at best, washed his hands with the water in the holding tank - which is loaded with all kinds of nasty bacteria, or skipped it altogether.

I look the other way and try to think about something else. :WideSmile:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT