ADVERTISEMENT

Cerino’s latest take - good stuff!

Exciting stuff to hear about Young and Johnson too. I'm very excited for this season to start!

Reactions: Scarlet83
Young needs to work on defense and sharing the ball? He is slicing through our defense easy?

Are you surprised that he's quicker than guys like Geo and McConnell and Kiss? Even Mathis isn't crazy quick.

Last year we struggled with the quicker guards like Cowan, Simpson, and Edwards. Against slower teams like Iowa and Wisconsin and the like we had more success.

Reactions: RUDead and Scangg
I think FIG's questions are eyebrow-raising for two reasons. One, there's been talk that he may be a plus defender and starting point guard.... but the the things he needs to work on most are defense and sharing the ball? Two, if he's slicing through our defense easily, does that say more about our defense than his offense?

It is sad when I can't read all of these articles as you must have a subscription. What do I need to do to clear cookies if I only have a Dell computer for my desktop? I am not really computer savvy.

I think Mulcahy we be the 1st point guard off the bench unless Geo just sifts over.

GRF, I don't know what you mean by a private or incognito window. I said I am not computer savvy. I tried the App. com plus the other Gannett NJ papers and it won't come up on any of them. Thanks.

I think Mulcahy we be the 1st point guard off the bench unless Geo just sifts over.
Geo shifts, or team also multiple ball handlers who can bring it up court/start offense off rebound.

Last edited:
I am really worried about defense........but going 11-24 from 3 on offense can sort of make you forget about your concerns.
As I mentioned in another thread, it’s good to see our offense being ahead of our defense at this point. Pike will get the effort he needs from them on D and for rebounding.

Reactions: Scarlet83
GRF, I don't know what you mean by a private or incognito window. I said I am not computer savvy. I tried the App. com plus the other Gannett NJ papers and it won't come up on any of them. Thanks.

Are you using PC?
If so, what browser?
Windows explorer?
Google Chrome?

Reactions: HeyHuey
Young has a scorer's mentality in a PG body and has the athletic ability to get in front of people. Can he do what Mathis did for extended stretches and get into the jersey of an opponent on defense??

There's a sorting out process that eventually happens with the coaching staff and players.

Reactions: littlenis5
Reading that article and other preseason articles, it does seem like the starting 5 could be Young, Geo, RHJ, Kwasi/Shaq, Myles. First 3 off the bench McConnell, Mathis and Shaq/Kwasi. Next 3 is Kiss, Mulcahy and Douc, kind of the pecking order.

This seems about right.

I'm thinking it's Young, Baker, McConnel, Harper and Johnson... that's essentially 4 guards. It's not the best defensive team but that line up should be able to score and like BillyC said, Pike will coach and scheme to make the defense and team rebounding work.

Reactions: BillyC80
Pi has said numerous times that who starts the game could not matter less to him. The question we should be having is who is ending the game.

Is it possible that Carter could slide to the 5 and Kwasi at the 4 because of Myles free throw woes (Mathis falls into this category as well)? Will Young be able to defend bigger guards and the P&R down the stretch or will Caleb and Geo handle those responsibilities?

I'm sure game flow/matchups will dictate it but this is what I am most interested in.

Reading that article and other preseason articles, it does seem like the starting 5 could be Young, Geo, RHJ, Kwasi/Shaq, Myles. First 3 off the bench McConnell, Mathis and Shaq/Kwasi. Next 3 is Kiss, Mulcahy and Douc, kind of the pecking order.

I agree. I posted the below mpg prediction in the 8-man rotation thread. Basically, I agree that Mulcahy, Doucoure, and Kiss are players 9 through 11.

By February, I think it will be an 8-man core, but 9 through 11 will still play significant roles.

GUARD (80)
Baker - 30
Young - 24
Mathis - 22
McConnell - 4
Mulcahy -
Kiss -

WING (40)
Harper - 20
McConnell - 15
Yeboah - 5

BIGS (80)
Yeboah - 15
Harper - 10
Carter - 22
Johnson - 25
Doucoure - 8

Not saying Mulcahy won’t play, just having a hard time subtracting minutes from the other guards. Damn we’re deep.

Depth is a good problem to have. It is nice to be able to use depth to your gameplan and press and play a fast style. With defense being a slight issue(This is also a Pikiell coaching strategy to motivate players as we know), I don't think pressing will be in the cards, which kind of stinks given the roster depth.

I mean, that article literally says that Young will play PG.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Young, Baker, McConnell, and Mulcahy will ALL play the point at times, but I think the leader in the clubhouse right now for the "most" PG minutes is Young.

My eyes on Baker and stats for Young point to Baker as PG. Article and anecdotes say Young is the man. I hear what you are saying, betting man takes Young by a landslide. I’ll take the heavy odds on Baker.

Depth is a good problem to have. It is nice to be able to use depth to your gameplan and press and play a fast style. With defense being a slight issue(This is also a Pikiell coaching strategy to motivate players as we know), I don't think pressing will be in the cards, which kind of stinks given the roster depth.

Higgins we aren’t a pressing team. Depth should help with defense. Minutes 1-22 you are playing better D than minutes 23-40.

Actually maybe press designed to shorten shot clock so we have to play D less.

Not one to cause TO and speed up the game.

Higgins we aren’t a pressing team. Depth should help with defense. Minutes 1-22 you are playing better D than minutes 23-40.

Exactly. You can run in short sprints more efficiently which lends to a quick, aggressive press. So defensive is all lungs and not just personal pride, or knowing your positioning relative to man and ball? It's not just cardio.

Reactions: rubaseball78
With the news that the team is struggling, pressing is no longer a good option. Still, depth is a good thing. Pikiell may play 11, but 5-7 players will get the 24+ minutes a night.

ADVERTISEMENT