CFP

And regarding expansion, the release should say:

OVq.gif

Reactions: WhiteBus
I would like to respond in 2 ways to this post:

giphy.gif

1 and 2! 😜

Seriously,

Why wouldn't you want more teams in the playoffs. I'd like us to make it sometime this decade. 4 teams to me are boring. Why not allow other teams to get in and get a chance to win it?

Seriously,

Why wouldn't you want more teams in the playoffs. I'd like us to make it sometime this decade. 4 teams to me are boring. Why not allow other teams to get in and get a chance to win it?
The charm of college football has always been EVERY GAME MATTERS. With a 12 team playoff, that is no longer true.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Seriously,

Honestly, I think most years there are not even 4 worthy teams for the playoffs. Expanding it further just means more mediocre teams and games.

Half the teams in FBS have no chance of ever playing in the playoff. By making the highest ranked group of 5 champion an automatic bid, you are at least giving them a shot at it. To me, that's the biggest reason to expand.

Honestly, I think most years there are not even 4 worthy teams for the playoffs. Expanding it further just means more mediocre teams and games.
No matter how many teams the playoffs expands to, there will be complaints bout whose in and/or who was left out.
I truly believe only conference champions and Independents ranked in top 5 should be eligible.
Yes mediocre teams are sure to be in the playoffs that way, but like you implied > mediocre teams are in playoffs already.
At least that mediocre team will be a conference title holder and not an also ran with a great pedigree.

Last edited:
i think an expansion to a 12 team playoff (which is apparently going to be recommended) will be very good for the sport overall. It will probably increase access to the CFP for conferences outside the current 5 which is fair. I think it will increase the tv interest in the playoff also. The argument about how it will hurt the meaning of regular season games is ridiculous, if anything it will increase interest and meaning as teams vie for the additional playoff slots and higher seeding. For those that think a larger number of teams will water down the playoff, an increase to 12 teams is a whopping 9% of the total schools playing in the FBS div. 1, by far the lowest % of any major sport playoff that I’m aware of.

I can think of a lot of reasons.......

for me personally, I think expanded playoffs will have a significant and negative impact on the entire Bowl Season process we have now (believe me, I get it - most bowls are simply programming for ESPN and FS1)... but, the expanded bowl world we live in has done more good to more programs than we realize (CFP is for the big boy blue bloods) and it's going to end-up killing some of the bottom-tier bowls.. and that will hurt programs whose realistic program goals are getting to bowls like that... (never-the-less, I do expect expansion to happen).
So we should limit the playoffs to protect the lowest-tier bowls no one actually cares about and many scream to eliminate?

You need a stronger argument.

Just don't see what makes cfb so much different from every other sport ever that they can't have a broader playoff.

What exactly is a "worthy" team and why shouldn't that team be required to prove it through multiple rounds of playoffs?

Who wouldn't want to see an underdog get hot late and spoil Alabama's season? Would definitely beat watching the same three teams play for an NC every year.

Reactions: mdh2003 and RUShea
I'll say this every time it comes up--the issue isn't the number of teams, it's that with seasons either continuing or ending in a conference room, there will always be debate over teams being snubbed.

How to fix this? Just take the Power 5 champions and have a committee exist for the sole purpose of ranking those 5 teams, essentially deciding who the 4 vs. 5 play-in game is. This format also effectively expands the playoffs to 10 teams, because now the conference championship games also act as the first round of the playoffs, and the best part about it is that who moves on and who goes home is always decided on the field rather than in a conference room. No more teams being snubbed because if you aren't in the playoffs, it's because you didn't win a game that you needed to win in order to advance to the next level, not because some guys in suits felt like some other team might be better than you.

I'm sure people will say this doesn't get you the 10 best teams in the playoffs--well too bad, that's not how playoffs work in any other sport. You win your way to the next level on the field. If you didn't win your conference, then you don't deserve to be in the national playoffs. Somewhere in the season--whether it be the conference championship game or a regular season game that cost them the top spot in the division--they lost a game they needed to win in order to advance to the next level. We already have this same issue at the division/conference level and nobody has a problem with it--if the committees and pollsters say Ohio State and Michigan are the two best teams in the Big Ten, should the Big Ten just have them play each other for the conference championship? Of course not, because one of them didn't meet the clearly defined criteria of winning the division.

Now there's the argument of some teams having an easier path by being in a weaker division. Well yeah, that will happen, and it does happen in every other sports league. You could theoretically have the two best NFL teams play each other in the AFC championship game, but nobody is clamoring for changing the playoff format just because one conference might be better than the other. Of course there is more parity in the NFL than in college, but I think the point is still valid. Some divisions are weaker than others, that's just how it goes. The Big Ten East is tougher than the West, but at the end of the day it gets sorted out when the two division winners have to play each other.

Some would say what about the G5? Well the CFP has made it quite obvious that they don't want to pick a G5 team anyway, so they should really just form their own playoff.

Then the argument about non-conference games being meaningless. Well the top 5 would still have their full season body of work be judged in order to determine who the top 3 are in order to get that bye straight to the semifinals rather than having to play the 4v5 play-in game, and all of the rest of the teams would still have their full seasons judged for bowl placement as it is now, so I don't think this would change much for non-conference games. In fact, I think it would make for better non-conference games because you could show that you deserve to be one of the top 3 by beating better opponents without having to worry about a loss costing you a spot in the playoffs. Plus, I'd say the current non-conference games are largely not worth preserving anyway--is anyone really looking forward to the late-season matchups between Texas A&M and Prairie View A&M, or Florida and Samford?

Last edited:
Reactions: fsg2
I'll say this every time it comes up--the issue isn't the number of teams, it's that with seasons either continuing or ending in a conference room, there will always be debate over teams being snubbed.
If you can't win your conference, you really shouldn't play victim about not getting hand-selected for an at-large because you think you're better than other second-place teams. Win or shut up.

Pat effin Forde…pffft. Shouldn’t he be coming up with mind bending college realignment scenarios?!?

• Haha
Reactions: RUfromSoCal?
What exactly is a "worthy" team and why shouldn't that team be required to prove it through multiple rounds of playoffs?

Who wouldn't want to see an underdog get hot late and spoil Alabama's season? Would definitely beat watching the same three teams play for an NC every year.
My answer to your :What exactly is a "worthy" team question is :
winning your conference championship deems you worthy , not winning conference deems you not worthy for prime time.
Doesn't mean a thing if you're ranked in top 5, you are not as champ and don't deserve a shot at national championship.
The only exception would be for an independent, an independent would gain automatic eligibility for playoff if ranked above one of the 4 conference champs in a 4 team playoff.

Same if playoffs expand to 8 teams, all 8 need to be conference champs or 7 champs and independent ranked high enough to take a lesser ranked champs place.
If two independent are ranked higher, then the highest ranked one allowed in and lower ranked independent treated like a 2nd place conference member.

Of course if lower ranked independents undefeated they take the playoff spot of the conference champ ranked worst in the playoff seeding rankings.

As far as I'm concerned those non-champs re getting in playoffs because they won the participation trophy in their conference and not the title.

My answer to your :What exactly is a "worthy" team question is :
winning your conference championship deems you worthy , not winning conference deems you not worthy for prime time.
Doesn't mean a thing if you're ranked in top 5, you are not as champ and don't deserve a shot at national championship.
The only exception would be for an independent, an independent would gain automatic eligibility for playoff if ranked above one of the 4 conference champs in a 4 team playoff.

Same if playoffs expand to 8 teams, all 8 need to be conference champs or 7 champs and independent ranked high enough to take a lesser ranked champs place.
If two independent are ranked higher, then the highest ranked one allowed in and lower ranked independent treated like a 2nd place conference member.

Of course if lower ranked independents undefeated they take the playoff spot of the conference champ ranked worst in the playoff seeding rankings.

As far as I'm concerned those non-champs re getting in playoffs because they won the participation trophy in their conference and not the title.
I'm with you. Win or shut up.

Unfortunately, with 5 conferences, that's not how it plays out currently. Had they kept 6 power conferences, you could have all conference champs, bye week for two top ranked, done. ND can pound sand or join a conference.

But they made it awkward and baked in partial selection from the beginning. Expansion at least lets all conf champs play.

If you can't win your conference, you really shouldn't play victim about not getting hand-selected for an at-large because you think you're better than other second-place teams. Win or shut up.
Looks like you quoted my post before I edited it to elaborate, but yep, that's exactly what I'm saying. Set it up so that you qualify for the next level by winning the previous level, not by hoping some people choose you like this is an episode of The Bachelorette or something.

Reactions: fsg2

So we should limit the playoffs to protect the lowest-tier bowls no one actually cares about and many scream to eliminate?

You need a stronger argument.

Just don't see what makes cfb so much different from every other sport ever that they can't have a broader playoff.

The teams that would be in the playoffs would not be in those lower tier bowls. They would be in the New Years Day bowls. So this has nothing to do with protecting lower tier bowls.

The teams that would be in the playoffs would not be in those lower tier bowls. They would be in the New Years Day bowls. So this has nothing to do with protecting lower tier bowls.
Tell that to the guy who said it did.

I assumed he meant the lowest bowls would be squeezed out by the added content of extra playoff games. But who wouldn't trade crappy mid-December bowls for playoff matchups? I mean, that's quite literally the least of anyone's worries.

The playoff has been boring for a while. When 3 spots wind up being the same old schools -- Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State -- it gets old really fast.

In the new plan, Notre Dame will be ineligible for a first round bye due to not being a conference champion. Screw em.

Reactions: robcac26
Looks like you quoted my post before I edited it to elaborate, but yep, that's exactly what I'm saying. Set it up so that you qualify for the next level by winning the previous level, not by hoping some people choose you like this is an episode of The Bachelorette or something.
Boy, did you ever expand, ha ...with a lot of truth.

I'm good with the 12 team format with the exception that all the power still resides in the Committee's jurisdiction. I almost wish they'd simply go back to using Computers to rank schools and get rid of people making very subjective decisions.

No matter how many teams the playoffs expands to, there will be complaints bout whose in and/or who was left out.
I truly believe only conference champions and Independents ranked in top 5 should be eligible.
Yes mediocre teams are sure to be in the playoffs that way, but like you implied > mediocre teams are in playoffs already.
At least that mediocre team will be a conference title holder and not an also ran with a great pedigree.
Who has cried foul of late. BCS era yes. Playoff era none.

8 is perfect, 5 champs, 1 G5 ranked at least Top 12 and then two or three highest ranked teams, max two from one conference. Don't like 12 at all as I think a bye is too big of an advantage and they will mostly go to SEC teams.

8 is perfect, 5 champs, 1 G5 ranked at least Top 12 and then two or three highest ranked teams, max two from one conference. Don't like 12 at all as I think a bye is too big of an advantage and they will mostly go to SEC teams.
It's not perfect because you still have teams being hand-picked instead of winning their way in on the field. Doesn't matter how many teams there are, when you get to the playoffs by being chosen rather than qualifying via winning the previous round, there are going to be disagreements over who should have been chosen. Going from 2 teams to 4 didn't fix this problem, and going from 4 to 8 won't either. In fact it's even harder to get a consensus on who the 7th and 8th teams are than who the 4th team is. Whenever I say this, someone's response is that the teams that feel snubbed should have won their conference and then they wouldn't have had to worry about it. While that is true, if the playoffs consist of 8 teams and you believe you are one of the top 8, you're going to feel like you were screwed by the committee if you're not taken.

Who has cried foul of late. BCS era yes. Playoff era none.
The undefeated UCF Knights in 2018
Texas A&M in 2020 with onlly one loss and Coastal Carolina’s 11-0 season could be cause to complain about OSU with 6 ( though undefeated) games picked over them
Maybe the undefeated (9-0) 2020 Cincinnati Bearcat program would a good gripe over the 6-0 Ohio State getting the call because of the 3 less games played.

Agree. Eight is the right number. 12 or 16 too many. Use existing bowls for the six games ( 4 quarter final and 2 semi final)

The undefeated UCF Knights in 2018
Texas A&M in 2020 with onlly one loss and Coastal Carolina’s 11-0 season could be cause to complain about OSU with 6 ( though undefeated) games picked over them
Maybe the undefeated (9-0) 2020 Cincinnati Bearcat program would a good gripe over the 6-0 Ohio State getting the call because of the 3 less games played.
An argument can be made for Texas A&M. Their problem was that everyone saw the ass whopping Alabama put on them. Coastal Carolina, laughable. UCF was not a top 4 team. Top 10 probably.

I believe those who would argue that a G5 school will have little chance of advancing deep into the playoffs are in for quite a surprise. Having to play 3 or 4 post season games will inevitably lead to a lot of the top draft talent at the P5 schools to sit out the entire playoffs or perhaps just play in one game. While the G5 kids will be using the playoffs to prove to the pros that they deserve to be drafted. The roster a P5 team finishes the regular season with isn't necessarily going to be same as the one that they will have entering the playoffs. It should make for some very interesting games.

I believe those who would argue that a G5 school will have little chance of advancing deep into the playoffs are in for quite a surprise. Having to play 3 or 4 post season games will inevitably lead to a lot of the top draft talent at the P5 schools to sit out the entire playoffs or perhaps just play in one game. While the G5 kids will be using the playoffs to prove to the pros that they deserve to be drafted. The roster a P5 team finishes the regular season with isn't necessarily going to be same as the one that they will have entering the playoffs. It should make for some very interesting games.
good point...

..i say again......... that's a LOT of games to play for free..........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT