ADVERTISEMENT

Chambers in Hot Water

While it's funny this is happening to Penn State, I don't know how this could affirm that it makes the coach a racist. I mean what was the context of the conversation? I consider myself moderate politically but the whole victim card is silly.

Good God. How stupid this whole thing is. Common sense no longer exists. Freedom of speech is being taken away because no one is allowed to say anything. I can’t wait until this all
blows up in everyone’a face and the backlash occurs. That’s how Trump got elected.

Interesting read, somehow sounds familiar. Please, lets not make it political.

I have to think that as this steamrolls, Chambers will not be able to keep his job. How does he recruit? Other schools will brutalize him.

Don’t know what was said in full but freedom of speech is not and never was license to say whatever you want without consequences.
Exactly. As a 43-year old white male, I have ALWAYS tried to be hyper-aware of my choice of words to people of other races. This isn't anything new, just common sense, respect and manners. From what I have seen from his post-game pressers, I like Pat. But come on, this was a stupid and insensitive choice of words to say to a black male. Sure, it's possible that a lot of black males wouldn't be offended by a phrase like that, but that's not the point and why go there? Think before you speak. And the thing about the young man's parents, if true, is really bad as well.

Good God. How stupid this whole thing is. Common sense no longer exists. Freedom of speech is being taken away because no one is allowed to say anything. I can’t wait until this all
blows up in everyone’a face and the backlash occurs. That’s how Trump got elected.

It's dumb people coming up with dumb things to play victim.

That guy is a good coach and he and Pike like and respect each other. Would be a really good assistant if the woke crowd forces him to rehabilitate his image.

Too many people are being canceled for just saying something nowadays. But in this case, the reaction is more important than the words. As soon as he realized the impression his words gave he needed to demonstrate more sensitivity to how that could and would be interpreted by many black people. Sounds like he really didn’t care

Reactions: gringo
I don't know or have met Pat Chambers but he's built a lengthy relationship with the Philadelphia basketball scene and I can't imagine he's survived this long because he's a bad guy.

The problem some expressed in this thread is kinda the problem in thinking things aren't a moving process or target...there is a cancel culture being tossed around as the new wave, not because of the mistake or missteps, it's the lack of growth that comes out of the mistakes made.

I know more now than before I arrived at RU as a freshman....didn't see so many groups and organizations and others with a primary focus....i left RU a "more aware" and smarter person...it was because the roommates I had were from all different backgrounds.

Chambers is going to be fine....but it is strange when someone or a group points out something was wrong, that people struggle with that.

In sports, I maintain that RU in this decade is going to be much more successful in sports and catch up in the B1G....is that going to be RUs hangup that the rest of the B1G fanbases that aren't ready for this to happen and feels we are too brash or arrogant when we think we're good....there are so many similarities between these changes in perception in society and what RU is going to do in sports that it's a very interesting place to be.

Rasir Bolton Said Pat Chambers Making A Noose Comment To Him And PSU Forcing Bolton To See A Psychologist Instead Of Apologizing Made Him Transfer https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog...gist-instead-of-apologizing-made-him-transfer

And here's the crux of it. Chambers made a comment that one of his players (and likely more, but only one spoke up) felt was aimed more at his identity as a black man than as a player.... and instead of saying "I didn't realize that was such a racially charged word - I'm sorry for using it, and I'll try not to use it again", the school made the player see a psychologist.

We use words all the time that we don't think about - people use idioms and sayings that some groups of people find deeply insulting, but not being a member of those groups it can feel like they're innocuous and harmless. When someone calls attention to it, though, it's a matter of learning and understanding their perspective and being more mindful.... it shouldn't be a matter of saying the listener is the one who has a problem, not the one who used the words in the first place.

Chambers shouldn’t have used that reference and The player shouldn’t have been told to see a psychologist. Nevertheless, sounds like a high-maintenance player if he left because of it.

Last edited:
A very poor choice of words in today's setting.
Chambers and all of us need to rethink what we once thought wouldn't be taken the wrong way
The player being sent to see a Psychologist ( if true) was totality wrong, the best thing the school could have done was schedule a counseling session with the player and coach to air out how both felt about the incident and help both see the other's POV on what was said and how it was taken.

In today's racially charged climate, it might be best for all schools have their Professors and Coaches hold meetings with their students/players with counselors present to address how they feel about the interaction they have with each other.
Sounds drastic, but sometimes an ounce of prevention before beats a pound if cure after something goes wrong

It's damm hard to change how we say things, but sometimes we must make the effort.
But that effort to help change the way say some things could be made much easier if those offended by what we said don't overreact and engage in a friendly discussion letting us know why what we said is kind if offensive to them.
Not waiting till we leave to complain about how we offended them to others.

agree...remember something similar was happening at Wisconsin as well earlier this year. There are 12-14 other players on this team..what do they think about Chambers. I think that is important. If the general culture around Penn State was racially charged we would have known by now and more players would have come forward in the past too after they have left. Maybe a poor choice of words but certainly not worth cancelling the guy over given Chambers rep

Reactions: Mr Magoo
I don't know or have met Pat Chambers but he's built a lengthy relationship with the Philadelphia basketball scene and I can't imagine he's survived this long because he's a bad guy.

The problem some expressed in this thread is kinda the problem in thinking things aren't a moving process or target...there is a cancel culture being tossed around as the new wave, not because of the mistake or missteps, it's the lack of growth that comes out of the mistakes made.

I know more now than before I arrived at RU as a freshman....didn't see so many groups and organizations and others with a primary focus....i left RU a "more aware" and smarter person...it was because the roommates I had were from all different backgrounds.

Chambers is going to be fine....but it is strange when someone or a group points out something was wrong, that people struggle with that.

In sports, I maintain that RU in this decade is going to be much more successful in sports and catch up in the B1G....is that going to be RUs hangup that the rest of the B1G fanbases that aren't ready for this to happen and feels we are too brash or arrogant when we think we're good....there are so many similarities between these changes in perception in society and what RU is going to do in sports that it's a very interesting place to be.
And it's usually the same people that as you said struggle with that.

The interesting thing is chambers was trying to help him and one unintentional word destroyed the message and changed the entire dynamic of the relationship.

If we are going to judge everyone by their mistakes in the public square than not one person would have a job, play a sport or have a family.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Can you imagine what an uproar it would be today when Bobby Knight took out that whip after the NCAA tournament game and directed it to Calbert Cheaney?

Best of Luck,
Groz

Cult State

This.

Once again, the idiots in crappy valley who run the place make a situation that could have been over and done with an apology and meeting with the family much much worse. Sending him to a psychologist signals that he did something wrong, and the comment that "you have to deal with his personality.....he's from the north" so he doesn't know any better?!?!??! A person in some position of leadership actually said that. Using that logic it's a good thing Chambers isn't from the south.....

Institutionalized ignorance at PSU. They never disappoint.

Exactly. As a 43-year old white male, I have ALWAYS tried to be hyper-aware of my choice of words to people of other races. This isn't anything new, just common sense, respect and manners. From what I have seen from his post-game pressers, I like Pat. But come on, this was a stupid and insensitive choice of words to say to a black male. Sure, it's possible that a lot of black males wouldn't be offended by a phrase like that, but that's not the point and why go there? Think before you speak. And the thing about the young man's parents, if true, is really bad as well.

Although I totally agree with your comments, it should also apply to people of other races towards whites. But, just listen to some black comics when they refer to whites.
Some may say it's "pay back" but it just continues the building of a bridge between races.

Reactions: DirtyRU
A couple of thoughts:

1. It has never been a good idea for a white person to use the word "noose" in a conversation with a black person...EVER. Especially if said white person, is in a position of power/authority. It is unlikely to end well. The one example I can think of is a discussion of a news event or a discussion of history.

2. In Bolton's case, many people seem to overlook that when the kid went to complain about the situation, he didn't get an apology. He was told to see a psychologist. Chambers, meanwhile, got a stern talking too. This is how PSU felt was the appropriate way to handle this situation.

3. At least one former player was interviewed about the incident and he said that Chambers called him into his office to talk about it and it made the player uncomfortable. Almost as if he was trying to get the player to smooth things over with the kid.

4. Bolton was struggling that season and I think Chambers sensed that the kid was putting too much pressure on himself. I truly think Chambers was trying to be supportive and take pressure off the kid but his choice of words was poor.

Meanwhile, on the PSU board, at least one subscriber posted that Rasir Bolton "is simply trouble, to say the least." "Some people are just trouble. IMO Rasir is most probably a product of his hypersensitive parents, who seem to be looking for controversy." This didn't surprise me at all because...Penn State gonna Penn State.

Agree.

But I also think there will even be Rutgers fans who will have that hang up too.

It's funny, you hear these stories from a number of schools yet we still have to pull teeth to get kids to play for pike and attend the most diverse school in the country smh

Reactions: cyrock3
It 100% looks like this player had a pretty unfortunate experience at PSU. I don’t doubt anything he said. I don’t doubt PSU botched the situation. This isn’t a Baylor football situation where the program was covering up sexual assault. This is a coach using a poor choice of words. He has ZERO history of being racist. Frankly, it’s ridiculous that he has to defend himself. Why is his name being tarnished?

It 100% looks like this player had a pretty unfortunate experience at PSU. I don’t doubt anything he said. I don’t doubt PSU botched the situation. This isn’t a Baylor football situation where the program was covering up sexual assault. This is a coach using a poor choice of words. He has ZERO history of being racist. Frankly, it’s ridiculous that he has to defend himself. Why is his name being tarnished?
Bruh,

Do you even 2020?

the issue is not the word selection that chambers used it was the fact that he didnt apologize. I can be stubborn and i think 2020 is the year of cancel culture and i hate it but if someone i care about or work with came to me and said "hey i know you probably didnt mean it but when you said loosen the noose around my neck the other day it made me uncomfortable and i feel it is a little insensitive due to the history of slavery." i would immediately apologize for using the phrase and explain that it was an honest mistake and state emphatically that i would not use the word again.

I don’t think you understand what freedom of speech means..

One thing I am learning is that the cancel culture eventually comes for everyone.

Very true. That’s exactly why the Cancel Culture will ultimately fail. No one is exempt from their attacks, therefore they will lose public support over time.

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT