ADVERTISEMENT

Chance that Baker is back

Will never ever have an easier path in the tourney than they had this year. Will never happen again, unfortunately.

This is not true. It is an easier path for houston because of all the upsets for them. because unfortunately for us we had to still go through a 2 seed and didn’t quit get there. Houston is good. Nothing is easy in ncaa tournement outside of two or three games.

the good news is there are upsets all the time in every ncaa tournement. We just need to get back consistently.

Reactions: cm_13
fluox give me a break. 35 yr season ticket FB and BB and lifetime deep 6-figure donor, so yeah, I'm a troll. Get over yourself. Stay tuned you'll see that I'm right.
Why don’t you just say what you know then. You come off as being that “look at me” type with zero info and literally just comes off as trolling. If you have info you should share.
I don’t care that you are a 35yr ticket holder or big donor. That means nothing in the scheme of things. Not sure what classifies as a big donor
Since we don’t have many of those at Rutgers. I endowed a scholarship in my wife’s name, easily have 6 figure in lifetime donations but I’ve only been donating since 2006 so does that make me less of a Contributor?

Just want to make sure I’m following all this

Geo is a bad teammate

Geo regressed the last two years I guess I imagined all those big shots to win games in 2019 or the end of the Clemson game

If Geo comes back then I won’t like Pike anymore. The guy who took a team that struggled to beat Rutgers Newark at home the year before he took over

Rons probably leaving because of Geo even though he said he loved playing with this group of guys

we will never have an easier draw in the tournament so probably won’t make another for 30 years

cool

Listen I like Geo and he'll go down as the one who started the change. But it's time to move on for everyone's sake. I know similar information and RUT is right, and I know that it sucks when people say "I have heard some things that I can't be specific on," and don't elaborate, but I have heard some things that I can't be specific on. It would just be better if nature took it's course and his four years are done, and he leaves with much love from us, and he can come back next year when we're all there for a great and proper send-off.

Look Pike likes Geo and all, but I find it hard to believe he’d be cool with losing half the team to keep Geo for one season. If this issue actually exists I’m sure it will be worked out one way or the other.

Reading a lot in this thread about how we blew a once in a lifetime chance to make the Final Four. That’s small time thinking befitting a small time fan base.

You know how you build an easier path to the Final Four?

Build a better team. Get out there & recruit, do what it takes to get the guys.
Don’t rely on the luck of the draw to make a run. Schools like Michigan & Gonzaga didn’t care about things like paths, brick by brick they built programs capable of making these runs on the regular regardless of the path.

Last edited:
Reading a lot in this thread about how we blew a once in a lifetime chance to make the Final Four. That’s small time thinking befitting a small time fan base.

Don’t rely on the luck of the draw to make a run. Schools like Michigan & Gonzaga didn’t care about things like paths, brick by brick they built programs capable of making these runs on the regular regardless of the path.
What you say is true but we’re not Michigan or Gonzaga, we’re Rutgers. I hope you’re right but a long history of futility and disappointments is hard to over come.

Oh, that's all we have to do? Why didn't you share this info earlier? Dammit.

Oh, that's all we have to do? Why didn't you share this info earlier? Dammit.

Honestly given how a lot of you seem to think we’re a mid major program that should only be able to have these opportunities once every 50 years, I think I do need to make these reminders every once in a while.

watching the Oregon St game - I thought we would have that opportunity -- (assuming we beat you know who); but a few weeks ago we just wanted to make the Tourney; then win just one game -- but its never good enough; assuming we made the Final 4 and lost to Baylor -- then wait about a day for the criticism to start; I'm looking for the vote button - cause I am voting for Geo to come back; and would like to know who exactly is leaving if he does.

Reactions: kyleman4
What you say is true but we’re not Michigan or Gonzaga, we’re Rutgers. I hope you’re right but a long history of futility and disappointments is hard to over come.
Why can’t we be though? The talent is in this area and of Pike can continue the magic without loads of talent it will create the buzz we need

Just want to make sure I’m following all this

Geo is a bad teammate

Geo regressed the last two years I guess I imagined all those big shots to win games in 2019 or the end of the Clemson game

If Geo comes back then I won’t like Pike anymore. The guy who took a team that struggled to beat Rutgers Newark at home the year before he took over

Rons probably leaving because of Geo even though he said he loved playing with this group of guys

we will never have an easier draw in the tournament so probably won’t make another for 30 years

cool
There is just one post more idiotic than the rest.I was a ranked varsity tennis player four years.I lost some matches I probably should have won, but moved on.You can't turn back the clock,You wipe the slate clean and move on.The misery & complaining here is sickening.A reality check is in order.
We can assume that most of Harper,Caleb,Paul, and& Montez will return.Cliff will be really good with Jaden & Jalen looking very promising.At least one of Mag,Palm,& reiber will contribute.Get Geo & a portal & we are likely ranked & NCAA bound.
Get over it.We lost, but are not looking back.

Last edited:
Why can’t we be though? The talent is in this area and of Pike can continue the magic without loads of talent it will create the buzz we need
Pike just lost out on the Harris kid from St. Thomas in Edison . I believe he’s decent and chose Seton Hall. Review our lineup and how many top players other than RHJ and McCauley are local NJ . I don’t count the Nathan kid as a future player ( could be wrong ) for any real playing time. Who else and I know we recruit Nationally correct?. How many top NJ / NYC / Philadelphia area kids are coming into the program ? We have some very good young out of state prospects but the thinking we are going to get more in state talent what are you basing that on?Not so sure we do at least not yet in MBB.

Pike just lost out on the Harris kid from St. Thomas in Edison . I believe he’s decent and chose Seton Hall. Review our lineup and how many top players other than RHJ and McCauley are local NJ . I don’t count the Nathan kid as a future player ( could be wrong ) for any real playing time. Who else and I know we recruit Nationally correct?. How many top NJ / NYC / Philadelphia area kids are coming into the program ? We have some very good young out of state prospects but the thinking we are going to get more in state talent what are you basing that on?Not so sure we do at least not yet in MBB.
Cliff.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Jalen Miller committed and Rutgers stopped recruiting him. Seton Hall took Harris’ brother as a transfer which helped them land him over the other Big East schools that were pushing for his commitment.

Basketball is different. You don’t need to own your state to build a decent roster. You just have to find guys that fit your system and culture. Even Mark Few recruited internationally to improve Gonzaga before he started landing blue chip recruits.

Three years in a row we grabbed a First Team All State player in NJ in Ron Harper, Paul Mulcahy and Cliff Omoruyi. As was said we signed Jalen Miller at point guard and Seton Hall grabbed the Harris kid as a package deal with his brother who is coming in as a grad transfer from American. We lost Corey Floyd to Connecticut when we were in the final two or three. We can't win them all but Steve Pikiell and his staff are working so hard all the time and they have improved our recruiting so much over what it was. I for one am so happy that we have a Head Coach who is so honorable and an outstanding representative for Rutgers. I think we will be fine.

Three years in a row we grabbed a First Team All State player in NJ in Ron Harper, Paul Mulcahy and Cliff Omoruyi. As was said we signed Jalen Miller at point guard and Seton Hall grabbed the Harris kid as a package deal with his brother who is coming in as a grad transfer from American. We lost Corey Floyd to Connecticut when we were in the final two or three. We can't win them all but Steve Pikiell and his staff are working so hard all the time and they have improved our recruiting so much over what it was. I for one am so happy that we have a Head Coach who is so honorable and an outstanding representative for Rutgers. I think we will be fine.
Recruiting needs to be evaluated against league competition.and not just what is happening in New Jersey.Right now Rutgers is a mid level B1G basketball team in the range of 7-10 which could change depending on what happens in the transfer portal and if additional players leave.

Jalen Miller committed and Rutgers stopped recruiting him. Seton Hall took Harris’ brother as a transfer which helped them land him over the other Big East schools that were pushing for his commitment.

Basketball is different. You don’t need to own your state to build a decent roster. You just have to find guys that fit your system and culture. Even Mark Few recruited internationally to improve Gonzaga before he started landing blue chip recruits.
We are not a Gonzaga , a small private Catholic School with a great coach and recent resume of success. It’s not about recruiting only NJ or NYC we should be recruiting nationwide but I don’t believe just yet we have a foothold on that. Perhaps within a few seasons of success. That said we miss out on some great players even the one and done type. Pikiell is a good coach with some flaws but he too can improve especially with metro recruiting.

Really no idea what any of that has to do with anything. I’m not saying you aren’t a real Rutgers fan. These vague bullshit posts are trolling.
And these one liner "you're a troll" posts are annoying. Are you Geo's mom or something?

If Geo comes back there are going to be a lot of unhappy people in the fan base. I’ll leave it at that.

You’ll all find out in time.

Your comments remind me of:

This is not a game.
Learn how to play the game.
Q

IIRC Nostradamus predicted this in his 2021 quatrain bracket.

M

Oh boo hoo. Deal with opinions that are different from yours.
I have no problem doing that. I’ve learned a lot over the years listening to differing opinions and I really value those who present opposing ideas in a productive way.

Then there are posters who come off as a trolling ignoramus. I have less tolerance there.

We are not a Gonzaga , a small private Catholic School with a great coach and recent resume of success. It’s not about recruiting only NJ or NYC we should be recruiting nationwide but I don’t believe just yet we have a foothold on that. Perhaps within a few seasons of success. That said we miss out on some great players even the one and done type. Pikiell is a good coach with some flaws but he too can improve especially with metro recruiting.

I agree — Gonzaga is a terrible comparison. Mark Few has been building that program for over 20 years. And while this year’s team is dominant, there were a lot of years that they came up very short. No one is disputing that RU had a unique opportunity this year, but it takes time and consistent results to build a program. Pike is on course.

Reactions: koko2315
Oh boo hoo. Deal with opinions that are different from yours.

Your comment makes no sense. There is a poster in this thread making claims that an RU player is a bad egg. Also alluding to the the fact that he has some type of inside knowledge that the fan base will turn on the coach if the player is back. When challenged - he provided no details. These are not opinions - they are overt trolling - likely from someone who wants to attack simply because he doesn't agree with that player's views.

Correct. I’m talking about how you get there. I’m not saying we should compare ourselves to them. I’m using Mark Few as an example of how recruiting can progress. His first roster was comprised of kids from the Pacific Northwest and one Australian. He started reaching into under-recruited international areas to land guys like Ronny Turiaf, Elias Harris, Kelly Olynyk. Then he took in transfers from blue blood programs. They kept on winning and people took notice. He landed his first 5 star in 2014. Today, he can beat out any blue blood for a recruit. But it all started with him finding players, even guys outside the US, that fit his culture and style of play.

That’s what Pike is trying to do offering kids from Ontario, Derry, New Hampshire and Long Beach, California. They fit how he wants to play. If Rutgers continues to win, it will become an attractive spot for some big time transfers. Then when a highly rated kid comes out of NYC or NJ, RU should always be in the recruiting battle.

BTW I read up a lot on coach’es’ recruiting strategies and philosophies. Just read one on Mark Few. It wasn’t a comparison of how RU can be Gonzaga. It was more about how, when he became head coach, he found under the radar guys that could help them win.they don’t have facilities that blow you away. He didn’t have the reputation of putting guys in the pros when he was hired. So he knew coming in they weren’t landing the 5 star. So he identified the ideal 3 star for his system and developed him into a 5 star and won. Now he’s landing 5 stars. There are many similar stories in college sports.

Reactions: RUpop and GORU2014
I have no problem doing that. I’ve learned a lot over the years listening to differing opinions and I really value those who present opposing ideas in a productive way.

Then there are posters who come off as a trolling ignoramus. I have less tolerance there.
BTW I read up a lot on coach’es’ recruiting strategies and philosophies. Just read one on Mark Few. It wasn’t a comparison of how RU can be Gonzaga. It was more about how, when he became head coach, he found under the radar guys that could help them win.they don’t have facilities that blow you away. He didn’t have the reputation of putting guys in the pros when he was hired. So he knew coming in they weren’t landing the 5 star. So he identified the ideal 3 star for his system and developed him into a 5 star and won. Now he’s landing 5 stars. There are many similar stories in college sports.
He we need some Slavic -Ukrainian - Serbian 20 year olds 6’9” -7’2” who can handle and shoots g 40 % from behind the 3 pt line.

Reactions: Knightmoves
So the Rut and others have conspired to try and suggest that the roster of players are going to toss their careers into the transfer portal, if Geo Baker comes back for a 5th, which he and every other player in the country has earned.

BUT

The same mindless posters who actually created this nonsense, are going to tell the one player who hit and made more clutch shots over his 4 year career, that he should be pushed off the roster and into the transfer portal for another school, so we can spare the feelings of a couple or few players......most of or all of which are not as good as Geo.....?? That's the best you can do out of thin air, is create something that doesn't exist??

I can assure everyone around the country who is or has a clue about basketball, would have 999 straight questions about how the coach hired to rebuild the worse Power 5 program at his hire date, is going to run out of town, his first signature recruit, team captain, PG, 1000 point scorer, and face of the program, so he can hit the transfer portal .....and have 25 offers in less than 48 hours...??

Pike would have to literally explain in 5 different languages how that would make sense.....yet, we have the same small group of fans falling over at the feet of Jacob Young....who is not a leader, busted for a DUI and less than 90 minutes after a season ending loss, tweets "I'm Out".....and then a few days later in a tweet, has the stones to type "University of Rutgers".??? That's the guy and representative, some fans are hitching their wagons to???

This isn't some random recruit from the Southeast or Florida, who may not know where Rutgers is....this is a player, who has been here 3 full years and disses this fanbase with I'm out and University of Rutgers???

Fans will go to many lengths to try and think of things. I am not saying having Geo focusing on NIL has to be a team item and that others have to agree with him.

But to look the other way on JY or act as if he's some Saint, that was mistreated or somehow underappreciated?? Give me a break.....

The simple response should be...Geo is a good player and Pike can find a better player....but if Geo doesn't play here next year and somehow decided to play elsewhere in college hoops next year, there's no fan here that would sign up for that today.....if you are, you'd be lying....

No ... Slavic-Ukrainian-Serbian much better and are further along in their skill set.

So the Rut and others have conspired to try and suggest that the roster of players are going to toss their careers into the transfer portal, if Geo Baker comes back for a 5th, which he and every other player in the country has earned.

BUT

The same mindless posters who actually created this nonsense, are going to tell the one player who hit and made more clutch shots over his 4 year career, that he should be pushed off the roster and into the transfer portal for another school, so we can spare the feelings of a couple or few players......most of or all of which are not as good as Geo.....?? That's the best you can do out of thin air, is create something that doesn't exist??

I can assure everyone around the country who is or has a clue about basketball, would have 999 straight questions about how the coach hired to rebuild the worse Power 5 program at his hire date, is going to run out of town, his first signature recruit, team captain, PG, 1000 point scorer, and face of the program, so he can hit the transfer portal .....and have 25 offers in less than 48 hours...??

Pike would have to literally explain in 5 different languages how that would make sense.....yet, we have the same small group of fans falling over at the feet of Jacob Young....who is not a leader, busted for a DUI and less than 90 minutes after a season ending loss, tweets "I'm Out".....and then a few days later in a tweet, has the stones to type "University of Rutgers".??? That's the guy and representative, some fans are hitching their wagons to???

This isn't some random recruit from the Southeast or Florida, who may not know where Rutgers is....this is a player, who has been here 3 full years and disses this fanbase with I'm out and University of Rutgers???

Fans will go to many lengths to try and think of things. I am not saying having Geo focusing on NIL has to be a team item and that others have to agree with him.

But to look the other way on JY or act as if he's some Saint, that was mistreated or somehow underappreciated?? Give me a break.....

The simple response should be...Geo is a good player and Pike can find a better player....but if Geo doesn't play here next year and somehow decided to play elsewhere in college hoops next year, there's no fan here that would sign up for that today.....if you are, you'd be lying....

RU fans can almost cut the BB drama with a knife it’s so thick. Drama is good for message boards like this one, even though we have little evidence to support any of the conspiracy theories.

RU fans like JY for his play on the court, the same reason they like any other player.

She’s talking about fans. Try to keep up. As much as they shouldn’t, friends and family can’t help but follow social media and message boards and take to heart every criticism or negative word about their family members. Myles Johnson was probably one of the most praised players to ever where scarlet and his dad responded to some tweet mentioning the negative stuff he’s read about his son on message boards. Comes with the territory unfortunately although I think criticism of RU players pales in comparison to most big time programs.
Totally agree. Didn’t some dimwit Buckeye fan threaten the Ohio State kid after their first round loss.

Okay well Iowa’s Bohannon just announced that he’ll be returning if NIL passes in Iowa for a 6th year so... this definitely seems to be trending.

BUT

Totally get the point you’re making and don’t disagree with it. But no need to take shots at JY.

I can’t stand bohannon. He’s too old anyway

The point I was making is there’s almost no chance Geo doesn’t return if this passes.

Won’t the 3 of them (Bohannon, Geo and Livers) do quite well financially by riding this via You tube alone?. You tube ads pay $3-$5 per 1,000 views. Every million views is $3K+. If your releasing a video a week that could add up. I would think the 3 of them could get plenty of views from videos showcasing success stories on the progress of the NIL movement throughout and in anticipation of the season.

You come off as such a petty jerk, and just a complete moron. Geo had a good point, made an obvious statement, and your "get off my lawn/old man yells at cloud", out of touch, outdated viewpoints (which are clearly informing your tongue in cheek, passive aggressive jabs) doesn't change the fact that most people agree with him

Settle down Beavis

Every day without a decision hurts us when it comes to the transfer portal and other targets perception of how much playing time is available here. If he makes us wait forever then decides not to come here after most of the good targets commit to other schools where their situation/PT is known, it will be a collosal dick move by geo and will make things harder for our program next year.

Just make a F-ing decision already. Your decision should not ride on whether you will make 500$ from a basketball camp or not. If you decide to play overseas, nobody will come to Geo's camp because they will not know who he is anyway.

Reactions: FastMJ
ADVERTISEMENT