ADVERTISEMENT

Chancellor Molloy Interview

Interesting excerpt (bold added):

The University of Michigan has 40-50 percent of its students from out of state, paying three times in the in-state tuition. We are looking for 25 percent of our students to come from out of state, which will keep our in-state tuition low. We want to attract more students from Long Island and other areas of New York. We have a recruiting group throughout the tri-state area showing what we offer in the Big Ten is comparable to Michigan.”

The University of Michigan has 40-50 percent of its students from out of state, paying three times in the in-state tuition. We are looking for 25 percent of our students to come from out of state, which will keep our in-state tuition low. We want to attract more students from Long Island and other areas of New York. We have a recruiting group throughout the tri-state area showing what we offer in the Big Ten is comparable to Michigan.”
I actually agree with this but only if the admissions standards are raised all around. This way, Rutgers will get back into the top 40 where I would like to see Rutgers in on a consistent basis.

Attracting students from Long Island and other parts of NY are nice, but Molloy should also hit Philly and the surrounding suburban counties hard as well. The surrounding counties outside of Philly (Bucks, Montgomery, Chester, and Delaware) are the wealthiest in the state of PA.

I assumed he was talking entire student body, not just undergrads. In the past our undergraduate number was closer to 90%. With graduate students included the number went in to the territory he is referring to I believe. I haven't looked at the recent data.

I actually agree with this but only if the admissions standards are raised all around. This way, Rutgers will get back into the top 40 where I would like to see Rutgers in on a consistent basis.

Generally expanding out of state admissions has that effect, as RU will become more selective in choosing fewer NJ students and will draw from a much larger out-of-state pool where the applicants are already of a higher caliber.

Attracting students from Long Island and other parts of NY are nice, but Molloy should also hit Philly and the surrounding suburban counties hard as well. The surrounding counties outside of Philly (Bucks, Montgomery, Chester, and Delaware) are the wealthiest in the state of PA.

This is a worthy ambition. The problem is that Rutgers is in the New York metropolitan area, not the Philly metropolitan area. So it's much easier to recruit from Long Island, which is also in the NY metro area. I hope you realize that, for instance, Rutgers gets almost no sports coverage in the Philly area, including South Jersey. I should add that it's hard even to get students from Long Island; while Stony Brook may not have a national reputation, it is a fine school that undercuts us on tuition for Long Island students.

This is a worthy ambition. The problem is that Rutgers is in the New York metropolitan area, not the Philly metropolitan area. So it's much easier to recruit from Long Island, which is also in the NY metro area. I hope you realize that, for instance, Rutgers gets almost no sports coverage in the Philly area, including South Jersey. I should add that it's hard even to get students from Long Island; while Stony Brook may not have a national reputation, it is a fine school that undercuts us on tuition for Long Island students.

University of Delaware says hi.

They have no problem recruiting NY and Long Island hard and their Athletics is D1AA so sports coverage is irrelevant.

Now we should be pulling in higher quality kids then University of Delaware but they a huge amount of kids New York and Long Island which is outside of their metro area.

Rutgers New Brunswick is 50 - 80 miles from the upper class Philly suburbs no excuse they couldn’t be successful in that area as well with top students.

The issue is that Rutgers over the years sat on its butt and didn’t go out and proactively recruit out of state students. One could argue Rutgers has done a bad job in state as well.

Last edited:
I would find it hard to believe that there isn't at least some focus on recruiting eastern/SE Penn area counties. I'm sure there has been some effort over the years, just like there has further away in DE, MD, CT. Philly burbs on the PA side are more or less the same travel time as Long Island, even if some outerlying southwestern portions of the region are further from NB distance-wise. Probably comparatively shorter time-wise once you push eastward into Suffolk Co, and I dont beleive it comes with as ingrained of a negative attitude for the state of NJ.

I assumed he was talking entire student body, not just undergrads. In the past our undergraduate number was closer to 90%. With graduate students included the number went in to the territory he is referring to I believe. I haven't looked at the recent data.

I believe it's already in the 80% +/- range when considering the full student body. Grad and doctoral students as a separate group might be about 60-40 in-state and may be worth recruiting down to 50-50 to increase revenue that much more. The full-timers are almost as likely to be OOS (incl. foreign/international students), whereas part-time grad students are definitely more likely to be in-staters and to a degree more heavily central NJ residents already somewhat proximate to campus.

Naturally, he tries his best to change the subject when
I believe it's already in the 80% +/- range when considering the full student body. Grad and doctoral students as a separate group might be about 60-40 in-state and may be worth recruiting down to 50-50 to increase revenue that much more. The full-timers are almost as likely to be OOS (incl. foreign/international students), whereas part-time grad students are definitely more likely to be in-staters and to a degree more heavily central NJ residents already somewhat proximate to campus.

FWIW, the law school doesn't give any preference to in-state applicants and tries hard to recruit out-of-state. The reasons for this are not entirely benign: Temple eats our lunch by offering sub-Rutgers tuition to good NJ applicants, and this particularly hurts the Camden campus, which was never given enough financial aid money to compete. So the law school tries to make up for it by recruiting out-of-state. For a long time, Camden law had an admissions director who was excellent at getting out-of-state students to come. Maybe she should be doing football recruiting??

Reactions: NorthBroad and rume
University of Delaware says hi.

They have no problem recruiting NY and Long Island hard and their Athletics is D1AA so sports coverage is irrelevant.

Now we should be pulling in higher quality kids then University of Delaware but they a huge amount of kids New York and Long Island which is outside of their metro area.

Rutgers New Brunswick is 50 - 80 miles from the upper class Philly suburbs no excuse they couldn’t be successful in that area as well.

The issue is that Rutgers over the years sat on its butt and didn’t go out and proactively recruit out of state students. One could argue Rutgers has done a bad job in state as well.

From what my neighbors tell me, the U. of Delaware outcompetes Rutgers in South Jersey, let alone anywhere else. They have a very aggressive program of attracting out-of-state students because there are not enough qualified high school grads in Delaware to fill their school.

From what my neighbors tell me, the U. of Delaware outcompetes Rutgers in South Jersey, let alone anywhere else. They have a very aggressive program of attracting out-of-state students because there are not enough qualified high school grads in Delaware to fill their school.

Yes exactly.

When you have University of Delaware pulling in tons of kids from NY/Long Island and then other schools such as Michigan, Maryland and Indiana that also do well recruiting top students in the N.J./NY area it’s proof that it doesn’t really matter what metro area the kids are from or what the Athletic coverage is that a schools targeting kids from.

The resources, strategy, effort and execution is what matters.

Rutgers was asleep at the wheel for too long when it comes to things such as recruiting and fundraising. We’re finally starting to wake up.

Yes exactly.

When you have University of Delaware pulling in tons of kids from NY/Long Island and then other schools such as Michigan, Maryland and Indiana that also do well recruiting top students in the N.J./NY area it’s proof that it doesn’t really matter what metro area the kids are from or what the Athletic coverage is that a schools targeting kids from.

The resources, strategy, effort and execution is what matters.

Rutgers was asleep at the wheel for too long when it comes to things such as recruiting and fundraising. We’re finally starting to wake up.

I suspect the Delaware state legislature is more open to enrolling a lot of OOS students than NJ's. (Remember that our state legislature actually used to penalize Rutgers for admitting OOS undergraduates.) When a school clearly has more capacity than qualified applicants, then it's easy to justify admitting OOS students. But that's not been Rutgers' situation. BTW, I know someone raised in Flemington who opted for Delaware over Rutgers, and she doesn't regret the choice at all. She went to a very good law school from there.

BTW, Delaware isn't a big-time athletics school, but does well recruiting out-of-staters anyway. Maybe we overestimate the role of athletics in attracting students.

@S_Janowski and @RUnTeX are right to bring up the distance (or not too distant depending on your perspective) factor.

For some of our better NJ students Rutgers isn’t “far away” enough while for some of the Bucks County and LI kids it might be in the sweet spot...far but not too far, yet close but not too close.

And I personally hope the new guy is just talking about the undergrad number with that 20-25% and not the whole University.

@S_Janowski and @RUnTeX are right to bring up the distance (or not too distant depending on your perspective) factor.

For some of our better NJ students Rutgers isn’t “far away” enough while for some of the Bucks County and LI kids it might be in the sweet spot...far but not too far, yet close but not too close.

And I personally hope the new guy is just talking about the undergrad number with that 20-25% and not the whole University.

I'm almost sure he's talking about just undergrads. We have plenty of students in the grad and post-B.A. professional programs who are from out of state. To the best of my knowledge, NJ students receive no preference in admission to those programs.

I still doubt Rutgers in the Philly area except as a second choice to PSU. Rutgers just has no presence in the Philly media, and PSU does. The only chance we have against PSU is the longstanding rumor that PSU is not welcoming to minority students. (I have no idea if this is true.) The NY/LI area is easier because there is no prime football school in the area that we have to compete with.

I'm almost sure he's talking about just undergrads. We have plenty of students in the grad and post-B.A. professional programs who are from out of state. To the best of my knowledge, NJ students receive no preference in admission to those programs.

I still doubt Rutgers in the Philly area except as a second choice to PSU. Rutgers just has no presence in the Philly media, and PSU does. The only chance we have against PSU is the longstanding rumor that PSU is not welcoming to minority students. (I have no idea if this is true.) The NY/LI area is easier because there is no prime football school in the area that we have to compete with.
Well if you read any communication from Rutgers be it digital, print, electronic, etc. you know that is not an issue here.

Thats exactly it. UDel is probably the most attractive OOS school to South Jersey kids outside of maybe PSU. Delaware K-12 is abysmal from what I understand so UDel aggressively pursues OOS students in NJ, MD, PA and NY. Ironically enough my Top 3 schools when I was in HS choosing colleges were RU, UDel and PSU. My mom flat out refused to allow me to go to Temple as the area is a warzone mere blocks from campus. I chose RU due to the generous amount of financial aid given to me, but I'm going to UDel for my MBA which was the school I probably would've chosen for undergrad had I gotten more financial aid.

Reactions: Tararua
Thats exactly it. UDel is probably the most attractive OOS school to South Jersey kids outside of maybe PSU. Delaware K-12 is abysmal from what I understand so UDel aggressively pursues OOS students in NJ, MD, PA and NY. Ironically enough my Top 3 schools when I was in HS choosing colleges were RU, UDel and PSU. My mom flat out refused to allow me to go to Temple as the area is a warzone mere blocks from campus. I chose RU due to the generous amount of financial aid given to me, but I'm going to UDel for my MBA which was the school I probably would've chosen for undergrad had I gotten more financial aid.

It sounds like U. Delaware would have been your first choice were it not for financial considerations. What did you find attractive about the place? I really don't understand why my neighbors are so attracted to U.Del. as a place to send their kids.

Yes, the area around Temple is terrible, but I don't know how much effect it has on the campus. Crime in Camden has little impact on the campus, largely because the campus is pretty well insulated from the bad areas by highways and a reasonably safe downtown area that both Rutgers and Cooper Hospital are slowly taking over.

Reactions: NorthBroad
It sounds like U. Delaware would have been your first choice were it not for financial considerations. What did you find attractive about the place? I really don't understand why my neighbors are so attracted to U.Del. as a place to send their kids.

Yes, the area around Temple is terrible, but I don't know how much effect it has on the campus. Crime in Camden has little impact on the campus, largely because the campus is pretty well insulated from the bad areas by highways and a reasonably safe downtown area that both Rutgers and Cooper Hospital are slowly taking over.
I liked that the campus was a bit smaller and less spread out than RU. The bus system at RU is definitely a turn off for many students. Academically they're pretty good although RU is definitely stronger. Also felt like UDel was a bit more welcoming to South Jersey kids than RU-NB can be which has a larger North/Central Jersey ratio. All and all though I enjoyed my undergrad years at RU and looking forward to my MBA years at UDel.

Reactions: retired711
I liked that the campus was a bit smaller and less spread out than RU. The bus system at RU is definitely a turn off for many students. Academically they're pretty good although RU is definitely stronger. Also felt like UDel was a bit more welcoming to South Jersey kids than RU-NB can be which has a larger North/Central Jersey ratio. All and all though I enjoyed my undergrad years at RU and looking forward to my MBA years at UDel.

I agree that the bus system probably turns off a lot of prospective students. Are there lots of times when a student will have to go by bus from one campus to another to be on time for a class? Being in Camden, I'm not familiar with the system.

I can understand that Del. could seem more welcoming to kids from South Jersey. North & Central Jersey behave like South Jersey doesn't exist (and, to be fair, vice versa to a large extent).

Even if it was strictly proportionate to population base, the student makeup would be obviously dominated by northern NJ, followed by central, then followed by southern. Proximity is an additional factor in attracting some portion of students.

More than 50% (4.9 out of 9 million) of the state's population resides in seven northern and central counties (Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Passaic, Morris, Union, Middlesex). Somerset and Monmouth comprise just under another 1 million. Camden is the only southern county in the top 10 of NJ counties population-wise at #9.

On the whole, if 3 out of every 4 students are from the northern/central part of the state and only 1 is from the southern part, the campus culture will lean in the direction of the former. Whether Rutgers does or does not do anything to make all NJ students feel equally welcome, I can't tell you. I don't believe that U Delaware would do anything differently either, I'm sure they'll take out of state tuition dollars from NJ regardless. But again, proximity has an impact.

Reactions: ruready07
And as @bigmatt718 said, I’m guessing Delaware looks a little more “collegey” (if that’s a word - lol) than Rutgers.

That matters too.

Reactions: bigmatt718
And as @bigmatt718 said, I’m guessing Delaware looks a little more “collegey” (if that’s a word - lol) than Rutgers.

That matters too.

If you mean collegiate, perhaps that's true. I've never been to the campus but I've heard it's pretty nice.

If Delaware needs to recruit more OOS to fill seats, I'm guessing their strategy involves being aggressive with scholarship money to make it that much more appealing relative to neighboring flagship schools.

If you mean collegiate, perhaps that's true. I've never been to the campus but I've heard it's pretty nice.

If Delaware needs to recruit more OOS to fill seats, I'm guessing their strategy involves being aggressive with scholarship money to make it that much more appealing relative to neighboring flagship schools.
A lot of privates are doing the same thing.

When you apply they look at that return address and if they like you the package is tailored to make it around and in the neighborhood as good ole’ StateU.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUnTeX
Public schools in DE are not great...if you can believe it we still have busing down here. That has significatly lowered the quality of the publics. But DE has more private schools than pretty much anywhere for that reason. But it's a small state so they do need to pull in OOS students to fill the school. Now they are growing the undergraduate program so they will be pulling in more OOS students in the coming years.

That matters too.
Newark Delaware is a more small town college town, doesn't require a bus system to get to class and has more attractive and uniform architecture.

Newark Delaware is a more small town college town, doesn't require a bus system to get to class and has more attractive and uniform architecture.
That would be my definition of “collegey” in this case.

Looking at the 2018 Factbook: Student Enrollment, it appears 85% of the New Brunswick undergraduate enrollment is in-state.

Adding in the (relatively small) enrollment of the New Brunswick RBHS undergrads bumps it up about a half percentage point.

Overall New Brunswick enrollment (ungrad & grad) is just about 80% in-state (when both including or excluding RBHS)

Last edited:
Reactions: RUnTeX
Looking at the 2018 Factbook: Student Enrollment, it appears 85% of the New Brunswick undergraduate enrollment is in-state.

Adding in the (relatively small) enrollment of the New Brunswick RBHS undergrads bumps it up about a half percentage point.

Overall New Brunswick enrollment (ungrad & grad) is just about 80% in-state (when both including or excluding RBHS)

The undergrad figure is actually a slightly smaller in-state percentage than in the past. It used to be in the upper 80s or low 90s.

The undergrad figure is actually a slightly smaller in-state percentage than in the past. It used to be in the upper 80s or low 90s.

Agreed. Looking at the same report for 2014, the in-state undergrad enrollment for NB was 89%. In the 4 years since 2014, overall NB undergrad enrollment increased by 1,498. Of that, in-state increased by only 151 while out-of state increased by 1,347.

I volunteer as an alumni recruiter for Rutgers, and I can tell you that there is a great deal of recruiting that goes on in other states, including alumni volunteers who help to man booths at college fairs. There is a LOT of interest in Rutgers from out of state students, especially since we joined the Big 10. In my opinion, based on data that I cannot share, the admissions office is doing a great job in trying to reach these students.

I will tell you this - If we had a successful men's basketball team or football team, our out-of-state applications would explode. It would be absolutely game changing, and that's not just my opinion.

-Scarlet Jerry

I will tell you this - If we had a successful men's basketball team or football team, our out-of-state applications would explode. It would be absolutely game changing, and that's not just my opinion.

Many have often opined this about Rutgers-NB and it goes even more to the sleeping giant theory being more than just an athletics-based proposition. It potentially facitlitates attracting some segment of high achieving academic students, whether they are or will become hardcore (or even casual) sports fans or not, because being associated with a winning culture generally improves outsider perception and tends to expand the influence of the network. In the end, its also helpful just to try to keep up with our peers/competition.

Many have often opined this about Rutgers-NB and it goes even more to the sleeping giant theory being more than just an athletics-based proposition. It potentially facitlitates attracting some segment of high achieving academic students, whether they are or will become hardcore (or even casual) sports fans or not, because being associated with a winning culture generally improves outsider perception and tends to expand the influence of the network. In the end, its also helpful just to try to keep up with our peers/competition.

The existing evidence from Boston College and Northwestern is that success in athletics spurs more applications, but unfortunately almost all of the extra applications come from students whose credentials aren't good enough for admission. So it makes a school look more selective, but doesn't add to student quality. Boston College actually denies there was a Flutie effect, and instead attributes the increase to other factors. Athletic success does have its benefits, but improving student quality does not seem to be one of them. Otherwise Alabama would be considered the cream of state universities.

Last edited:
The existing evidence from Boston College and Northwestern is that success in athletics spurs more applications, but unfortunately almost all of the extra applications come from students whose credentials aren't good enough for admission. So it makes a school look more selective, but doesn't add to student quality. Boston College actually denies there was a Flutie effect, and instead attributes the increase to other factors. Athletic success does have its benefits, but improving student quality does not seem to be one of them. Otherwise Alabama would be considered the cream of state universities.
Anecdotally, I can say that a lot of the kids from the area who do go there are making that happen.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT