ADVERTISEMENT

Change of Donations

tomatocan

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
I am a 1970 graduate, and for the last 30+ years I have made annual donations to the Rutgers football and basketball programs. My reward has been an almost constant stagnation of progress by these two programs. Sure, we can all point out individual spikes in improvement over the years, but they are consistently followed by drops to mediocre to just plain poor performance. Coaches come and go, ADs come and go, and players come and go, but the results remain the dreary same.

I say this because it finally dawned on me that my philanthropy to Rutgers sports needs a new direction. Baseball, soccer, lacrosse, wrestling, tennis, and even golf and the rugby club (which I played four years for) are just as deserving of financial help as the football and basketball teams. They have proven, for the most part, to be competitive in the B1G, and provide more on-field enjoyment for my family. It's time for me to recognize these teams instead.

I am a 1970 graduate, and for the last 30+ years I have made annual donations to the Rutgers football and basketball programs. My reward has been an almost constant stagnation of progress by these two programs. Sure, we can all point out individual spikes in improvement over the years, but they are consistently followed by drops to mediocre to just plain poor performance. Coaches come and go, ADs come and go, and players come and go, but the results remain the dreary same.

I say this because it finally dawned on me that my philanthropy to Rutgers sports needs a new direction. Baseball, soccer, lacrosse, wrestling, tennis, and even golf and the rugby club (which I played four years for) are just as deserving of financial help as the football and basketball teams. They have proven, for the most part, to be competitive in the B1G, and provide more on-field enjoyment for my family. It's time for me to recognize these teams instead.
What's a tomato can?

Can't argue with your post.

You’re free do do whatever you want with your money.
But that you need to come on a football board to say you’re not going to donate to football but to these other programs is head scratching. Nobody really cares about those other programs. Football drives the bus and that’s why we are in the BIG. You will probably see more bang for your bucks by donating to the non-entity programs .

Reactions: MADHAT1
But that you need to come on a football board to say you’re not going to donate to football but to these other programs is head scratching. Nobody really cares about those other programs. Football drives the bus and that’s why we are in the BIG. You will probably see more bang for your bucks by donating to the non-entity programs .
I disagree. Pulling support for football and hoops sends a message that this donor is not happy with the direction of those programs.

I disagree. Pulling support for football and hoops sends a message that this donor is not happy with the direction of those programs.

Then why not just say that then?
He said he’s pulling support and going to other programs. So if rutgers football gets its act together will he/ she pull money away from lacrosse ?

Double down on FB and MBB, quitter.

Reactions: scripts
If you don't like what the OP is doing you'll like what I'm doing even less. I'm pulling the whole thing. also 30 consecutive yrs of donations totaling just shy of $100K, representing a sacrifice to my family, but i'm so passionate about it. No more. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me 100 times, shame on me. Already sent a note to my designated contact in the athletic dept. It's over. If I want to go to a game, I'll hit stub hub.

And for those who say, well when we get good again you'll wish you had your great parking and seats. Not so much, I'll buy a good seat and still be way ahead. Not taking it likely, in fact I've agonized over it, but just can't do it anymore.

all sports need help but a higher tide lifts all boats..so having a football team that goes to a bowl game, doesn't get embarrassed on national tv that they switch games would achieve that..may want to donate to field hockey or girls soccer because they have better chance of the Big10 title that other sports. sorry I'm a lax man and having the gauntlet of UM,JH,OSU and a well funded PSU and OSU is a tough task..this goes to show that having a good lax coach can make up a difference of resources

Reactions: beaced
I completely understand and agree with the decision to cut donations or reroute them away from football, but why must every person who chooses to do so advertise it publicly?
Interesting. I never read the rules here that discourage posting one's own "private" thoughts. I'll try to do better next time (to cite Michael Wilbon)

Go to a WRESTLING match you'll have a blast. We're getting closer to the upper echelon, ranked #11 last year and we came 28 secs.(basically all our kid had to do is grab a leg and hold on) from placing even higher. Home matches are crazy and loud, they schedule tough OOC matches even though the B1G is a meat grinder. This year we have Oklahoma St.. Can't wait.

Reactions: BAMM87 and Badgerc
If you don't like what the OP is doing you'll like what I'm doing even less. I'm pulling the whole thing. also 30 consecutive yrs of donations totaling just shy of $100K, representing a sacrifice to my family, but i'm so passionate about it. No more. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me 100 times, shame on me. Already sent a note to my designated contact in the athletic dept. It's over. If I want to go to a game, I'll hit stub hub.

And for those who say, well when we get good again you'll wish you had your great parking and seats. Not so much, I'll buy a good seat and still be way ahead. Not taking it likely, in fact I've agonized over it, but just can't do it anymore.
Told my husband the same thing. I wanted to drop out this year but he wanted to see what the coach did this year.

I am in the same situation with tenure and money given to the FB program. Was thinking the same thing ..

You can do what you please with your $ but don’t give up on basketball.

Right now, the trajectory of both programs is night and day.

Pikiell will get it done. Give him 2 more years.

Your wrong that no one cares about any programs but football and basketball. Yest, football and bball are the ones who can make money but many do care about the other sports. Just because you don't doesn't mean others don't.

Reactions: koleszar

not a bad move. Untill the AD and RU admins show they care about football,its a smart move.BBall may struggle more this year,but its on the right path. Football with bad rookie AD move ,and bad HC ,now going backwards.

all sports need help but a higher tide lifts all boats..so having a football team that goes to a bowl game, doesn't get embarrassed on national tv that they switch games would achieve that..may want to donate to field hockey or girls soccer because they have better chance of the Big10 title that other sports. sorry I'm a lax man and having the gauntlet of UM,JH,OSU and a well funded PSU and OSU is a tough task..this goes to show that having a good lax coach can make up a difference of resources
Th ank you for confirming that: IT IS ALL ABOUT THE COACHING.

I'm shifting to basketball myself. Go to plenty of games but the $ has been Football/Facilities directed. Going forward it will be BBall directed. #enoughisenough.

Reactions: miketd1

I wish rugby was an NCAA sanctioned D1 sport. I go to the College Rugby Tourney in Philly every June. Wish Rutgers would field a team good enough to play in it.

Reactions: RUnTeX

And unlike many coaches, I feel that Pike wants to be THE MAN here at RU...the Calhoun of RU when he does get it built.

I can tell you personally the men’s lacrosse program is right on the cusp. We have a great staff, recruiting is getting better every year, and Coach Brecht isn’t here to collect a check and be happy with mediocrity. He’s trying to win a championship. Great kids in the program too. The league is a beast, but we’ve been competing with one hand behind our back and still getting results. The program would appreciate your donation and it would be put to very good use.

And unlike many coaches, I feel that Pike wants to be THE MAN here at RU...the Calhoun of RU when he does get it built.
a former HC with successful experience AND a fantastic staff. Tireless recruiter. Sounds Jersey Tough. WOW, what a formula. Love the guy.

Reactions: bigmatt718
This is not a B1G mindset. B1G schools care about every sport they field. It’s why many have powerhouse departments. It all matters.

Reactions: rubaseball78

Many long suffering fans share your viewpoint.Kicking the can down the road approach hasn't worked for Rutgers because it has eliminated the sense of urgency to win now to keep the loyal fan base .Right now I am more optimistic about the mens basketball program over football even with a losing steak of 12 straight seasons which just says how beaten down fans have become.Choosing other sports to follow is a option .

ADVERTISEMENT