ADVERTISEMENT

Changing my focus

William J Moses

Freshman
Dec 6, 2019
I don't have much hope for a successful dual season, so I've decided to concentrate my fandom (is that a word?) on those individuals who have a chance to wrestle in the NCAA tournament.

I never understood why folks get so hung up on duals anyway. All of the matches, duals or tourneys, are just a path to what really matters.. the NCAAs

I never understood why folks get so hung up on duals anyway. All of the matches, duals or tourneys, are just a path to what really matters.. the NCAAs
The bottom line on duals to me is that as fans we get to see the members of the team develop over the course of the season in person. Only a very small percentage of fans attend Nationals. The “ducking” trend has taken some of the fun out of duals but I know that I still enjoy going to JMA to support our guys. The regular season is all about seeding for the conference tournament and Nationals so there is competitive value.

Reactions: Leonard23
Duals are easy to understand and they don’t require a huge time commitment. Individual tournaments are multi day all day affairs and can be exhausting to attend

The bottom line on duals to me is that as fans we get to see the members of the team develop over the course of the season in person. Only a very small percentage of fans attend Nationals. The “ducking” trend has taken some of the fun out of duals but I know that I still enjoy going to JMA to support our guys. The regular season is all about seeding for the conference tournament and Nationals so there is competitive value.

Duals are easy to understand and they don’t require a huge time commitment. Individual tournaments are multi day all day affairs and can be exhausting to attend
Agree with both of these posts. Duals are the only way to grow the sport, fan interest and revenue, but too many don't seem to care about that anymore.

Reactions: DUForever
I don't have much hope for a successful dual season, so I've decided to concentrate my fandom (is that a word?) on those individuals who have a chance to wrestle in the NCAA tournament.
Yeah this season is appearing to be going downhill team wise but I think we could be decent as soon as next year.

Peterson
Shawver
Olivieri
White
Clark
Kanniard
Turley
Soldano
Poz
Boone

Obviously weakest in the middle but White and Clark are decent. Willing to bet with the loss of Alvarez, Heilman moving on, and I’m assuming Janzer will as well, a lot of money should open up to throw at a mid weight transfer. Start the Griffith/Omalley rumors/pipe dreams whenever you want

Reactions: mikemessner
The portal is just as important as recruiting high school kids so hopefully they are able to continue to bring in impact transfers

I'm petty high on Clark. He's staying in matches and making his opponents earn their wins. He keeps improving every week.

I'm petty high on Clark. He's staying in matches and making his opponents earn their wins. He keeps improving every week.
Clark is the consummate college athlete. He uses every ounce of his skills, put out 100% at all times, and is obviously taking advantage of the coaching he receives. He's fun to watch also. Hoping for continued success for him. $$$$

Agree with both of these posts. Duals are the only way to grow the sport, fan interest and revenue, but too many don't seem to care about that anymore.
Duals grow wrestling. That's how Goodale built our great fan base. The RAC/Jersey Mike's environment can attract recruits. Duals are fun for the fan and if the first guy loses, we have 9 more to cheer for. Individual wrestler results at duals are the primarily determinant of seeding for the Big Ten tournament and help one qualify for the national tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT