ADVERTISEMENT

Chas Dodd in Italy

HogSkin

Freshman
Jan 8, 2004
Hey guys, my name is Stan Bedwell. I am the head coach of the Lazio Marines in Rome, Italy. I just wanted to give you an update on one of your former players. Chas was just named the IFL Player of the Week as he completed 17-of-21 passes for 266 yards and 5 TD in his European debut. He also ran for a 3-yard score as we won by a margin of 50-7 over Naples.

This Sunday we will host our crosstown rivals, the Rome Grizzlies. Kickoff will be at 9 a.m. EST. Let me know if you're interested and I will send you the link. Also, please share this on your premium board.

It might also interest you to know that former Scarlet Knight J.T. Tartacoff is an assistant coach for us, working with our WR's and playing a huge role with the special teams. Very bright young coach. We're extatic to have both of them.

Thanks!

This is such cool news! Congrats to Chas and the Marines.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Italian Football League, read "Playing for Pizza" by John Grisham. Funny, engaging book about a former NFL quarterback who goes to play in Italy.

Stan, please keep us posted on the team and Chas' season as it unfolds.

Hog...thanks for sharing this information. Is there a way for you to post your schedule? I have friends who live in Rome who said they would go to some of the games to cheer Chaz on (and I'm going to send them some RU tee shirts so he feels the RU spirit with him).

Originally posted by MrsScrew:
Hog...thanks for sharing this information. Is there a way for you to post your schedule? I have friends who live in Rome who said they would go to some of the games to cheer Chaz on (and I'm going to send them some RU tee shirts so he feels the RU spirit with him).
You might try sending them an e-mail: info@lazio-marines.com
or checking their website :http://www.lazio-marines.com/

This is AWESOME!!!! Chas was probably my favorite QB to watch play at Rutgers. Please post a link to the game this weekend. Thanks so much!

If you can pin this or something, I can keep you guys updated in this thread. Below you will find our season schedule, the article from our first game, and highlights from the Week 1 game in Naples. You will see everything from bowl stadiums with artificial turf to fields with more dirt than grass. It's an interesting level and mix of talent. Every team is allowed two Americans, one on each side of the ball. This season our league boasts players from Rutgers, Oklahoma, LSU, Tennessee, Colorado, Ohio, Marshall, Old Dominion, North Dakota State, Eastern Kentucky, Illinois State, Cal-Poly, Cal-Davis, and many smaller schools.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

LAZIO MARINES 2015 SEASON SCHEDULE

March 8 - Lazio Marines 50, Napoli Briganti 7

March 15 - Rome Grizzlies (3 p.m. kickoff in Rome, 9 a.m. in Jersey)

March 22 - @ Ferrara Aquile (8:30 a.m. kickoff in Jersey)

March 29 - Ancona Dolphins (4 p.m. kickoff in Rome, 10 a.m. in Jersey)

April 19 - @ Bologna Warriors (3 p.m. kickoff in Jersey)

April 26 - Napoli Briganti (4 p.m. kickoff in Rome, 10 a.m. in Jersey)

May 3 - @ Roma Grizzlies (3 p.m. kickoff in Rome, 9 a.m. in Jersey)

May 10/17 - Ferrara Aquile (Date TBD pending on national team game. 4 p.m. kickoff in Rome, 10 a.m. in Jersey)

May 23 - @ Ancona Dolphins (12 p.m. kickoff in Jersey)

May 31 - Bologna Warriors (4 p.m. kickoff in Rome, 10 a.m. in Jersey)

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

MARINES ROLL IN SEASON OPENER

Chas Dodd accounted for 269 yards of offense and six touchdowns in just over one half of play as the Lazio Marines passed their way to a 50-7 season-opening victory over Briganti Napoli. .

With a new coaching staff and the merger with the Ostia Black Hammers, the Marines had high hopes heading into the 2015 IFL season. The first test was on Sunday when new head coach Stan Bedwell took his squad on the road to do battle against a familiar face. Napoli Head Coach Tony Simmons worked alongside Bedwell for the Elite Football League of India in 2013.

The new air raid attack of the Marines did not take long to reach top form, as Dodd found Mario Andrioli for a 40-yard gain on the first offensive play of the day. This set up a 12-yard scoring toss from Dodd to Valerio Migliozzi. Heavy pressure by defensive linemen Corey Miller (Tennessee Volunteers) and Simone Moroni put the ball back in Dodd's hands quickly and he answered with a 3-yard touchdown run to give the Marines a 12-0 lead midway through the 1st quarter.

Briganti QB Zach Hoffman, showed some fight on the following drive. He consistently picked up nice gains through the air and on the ground, despite taking several big hits. He finished the drive with a 4-yard pass to Stefano Ciotola to pull the Briganti within five points going into the 2nd quarter.

It did not take the Marines long to respond, however, as Davide Capra dodged and weaved through Briganti defenders to take the ensuing kickoff back 74 yards for a touchdown. Lazio extended their lead to 24-7 just minutes later when Dodd connected with Pozzebon from 47 yards out.

The next Briganti drive was halted by Matteo Galante. The Marines cornerback intercepted Hoffman's pass and returned it 38 yards down to the Briganti 6-yard line. Biancalana caught his first touchdown of the day on the following play.

The Marines added one more touchdown on the final play of the half when Dodd went up to Biancalana who caught the ball and shook off a Briganti defender for a 48-yard touchdown as time expired, sending his team into the locker rooms up 36-7.

The 2nd half started much like the first, as Dodd moved his offense down the field effortlessly, culminating in a 12-yard pass to Biancalana. Stefano Fabrizio rushed for the 2-point conversion and the Marines starters took a seat, leading 44-7.

With a running clock in the 4th quarter, the Roman squad capped the scoring with a 4-yard Pozzebon touchdown reception from 17-year old quarterback Giovanni Biancolella.

The Marines finished the day with 44 plays for 376 yards (293 passing, 83 rushing). Kellen Pruitt's defense gave up just 144 yards (114 passing, 30 rushing) on 47 plays.

Dodd completed 17-of-21 pass attempts for 266 yards and 5 TD, while adding a 3-yard TD run. Biancalana's three catches (66 yds) all went for touchdowns. Pozzebon had 2 receptions for 51 yards, both for touchdowns as well. Andrioli led his team with four grabs for 79 yards, while Fabrizio added 58 total yards of offense. Lorenzo Latini led the Marines in rushing with 6 carries for 36 yards.

Miller led the defense with 3 solo tackles, 1 assist, 1 sack, and 1 tackle for loss. Simone Cerini also had 3 solos, 1 assist, and a pass break up. The Marines also received strong defensive showings from lockdown cornerback Lorenzo Scaperrotta, Simone Schirmo, Roberto Capata, Marco Migani, Davide Cascio, and Galante.

////////////////////////////////////

NEXT UP: The Lazio Marines (1-0) will host the Roma Grizzlies (0-1) this Sunday, March 15th at Centro Sportivo Tobia Mario - G.S. Vigili Urbani. This will be the first of two exciting matchups between the Roman teams in the 2015 season. Kickoff is set for 3 p.m. Lungotevere, Dante 311. Free entry, donations accepted.

///////////////////////////////////

IFL SOUTH - WEEK 1
Marines Lazio 50, Briganti Napoli 7
Dolphins Ancona 37, Grizzlies Roma 14
Warriors Bologna 28, Aquile Ferrara 23

Marines Lazio 1-0
Dolphins Ancona 1-0
Warriors Bologna 1-0
Aquile Ferrara 0-1
Grizzlies Roma 0-1
Briganti Napoli 0-1

////////////////////////////////////

IFL NORTH - WEEK 1
Panthers Parma 38, Seamen Milano 13
Rhinos Milano 21, Giaguari Torino 6
Giants Bolzano 31, Lions Bergamo 20

Panthers Parma 1-0
Rhinos Milano 1-0
Giants Bolzano 1-0
Lions Bergamo 0-1
Giaguari Torino 0-1
Seamen Milano 0-1

Lazio Marines in White

Very cool! Wish them well for me. Any other notable college players performing
in this league?

I have a friend who played over there for his entire career. Competition isn't great but this kid made a living out of it. He was actually the first person to be inducted into the Italian Football HOF. Averaged something crazy like 175 yds a game for more than 10 seasons.

thanks for the update - 2 class acts there.

If I could work this into an anniversary trip I would be there in all my RU gear.

If you can, give Dodd some assistant coaching duties too. The way he lead the offense in his first outing as a freshman made a huge impression. Sharp player who I expect will make a great coach some day ,hopefully back at RU.

good stuff. although the camera guy who posted the highlights needs to get a tripod.

noticed at least your first couple TDs only resulted in 6 points... but the other team got 7. any problems with your kicking game?

Spring Football Where is ESPN when you need them. Could be fun for the championship game.

Why does Chas keep throwing the ball to Sanu Lanza?
smile.r191677.gif

Playing for Pizza!!

John Grisham's book about American Football in Italy is a great read.

Best of luck to Chas, hopefully he gets the most out of his time in Italy.

Re: Playing for Pizza!!

Chas Dodd a class act all the wsu. Just great to see him succeeding and having fun. Could lead to a spot in Canada similar to Doug Flutie.

4Real you are gunny. Good stuff worthy of a smile.

Originally posted by HogSkin:
Hey guys, my name is Stan Bedwell. I am the head coach of the Lazio Marines in Rome, Italy. I just wanted to give you an update on one of your former players. Chas was just named the IFL Player of the Week as he completed 17-of-21 passes for 266 yards and 5 TD in his European debut. He also ran for a 3-yard score as we won by a margin of 50-7 over Naples.

This Sunday we will host our crosstown rivals, the Rome Grizzlies. Kickoff will be at 9 a.m. EST. Let me know if you're interested and I will send you the link. Also, please share this on your premium board.

It might also interest you to know that former Scarlet Knight J.T. Tartacoff is an assistant coach for us, working with our WR's and playing a huge role with the special teams. Very bright young coach. We're extatic[/B] to have both of them.

Thanks!
You spelt ecstatic wrong.

Good to hear Chas and JT are doing well! The number of times Chas was pounded into the turf only to get back up again and throw passes without fear of getting hit is a true testament to his grit and will power. It was certainly a great (and humbling) sight to watch!

Good for him!.....Interesting to see who Chas would be if he had the height.

here is a link for livestream feed.

Have to copy and paste. Insert link is grayed out on this machine for some reason

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/5994472

If I didn't know different, I would have thought this was CD's high school video. Or middle school.

Thanks! This is great to hear and very happy for Chas. Not a knock against Nova (also very talented) but I still say we did not use Dodd properly to our (and his) advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT