ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Kelly

The game caught up with his offense. Like Rich Rod he was a one trick pony.
This. He's yesterday's newspaper and I can't imagine his stock rebounding much. The next team that hires Chip will become a national laughingstock

Rutgers needs a coach who was successful at the highest levels. Given the state of RU why would anybody want a coach who is being fired because they lose to many games? If they can't win at UCLA how can they win at RU?

Mike Leach isn’t a realistic option for us my question wasn’t about that but more in reference to Leach about coaches and how and whether they evolve.

Leach is a special case, IMHO. It is like the spread version of the Triple Option, with the right players it just works with little change.

Reactions: miketd1
Leach would be fine.

But eventually people would want more than 7 wins and a half decent bowl.

He's had some bad losses and the WSU faithful have already been murmuring about how he should be running the ball more.

Sort of like Andy Reid when he was in Philly. His offense was good enough to get to the NFC championship game nearly every year, but we always lacked a power run game to get short yardage or kill the clock.

I don't think he modifies his offense to fit his personnel.

The guy ran LeSean McCoy and Desean Jackson out of town because McCoy wasn't a north/south runner and Jackson was undersized.

Then he traded Foles (yes, SB-winning Foles) after a career year because he wanted a guy who got rid of the ball faster (insert Sam Bradford).

He's an idiot at roster management who thought his scheme trumped everything else.

Reactions: redking
Yes, of course. Are some Rutgers fans really turning their noses up at a guy with the success of Chip Kelly??
We wouldn't be getting the Chip Kelly of 2012, we would be getting the current version. Read these 2 Ringer articles to see why the 2019 version of Chip is not the same.
https://www.theringer.com/2016/9/9/16036650/chip-kelly-san-francisco-49ers-offense-f332f053870e
https://www.theringer.com/2017/1/1/16040884/san-francisco-49ers-fire-chip-kelly-nfl-5c5787669f7f

Leach would be fine.

But eventually people would want more than 7 wins and a half decent bowl.

He's had some bad losses and the WSU faithful have already been murmuring about how he should be running the ball more.

Sort of like Andy Reid when he was in Philly. His offense was good enough to get to the NFC championship game nearly every year, but we always lacked a power run game to get short yardage or kill the clock.

This is a typical criticism of a pass heavy offense. Fans tend to find there is nothing more frustrating than sitting in the stands with a TD lead while watching the offense throw incompletions that stop the clock. The alternative for this type of offense is run, run, pass, punt because most of the runs are draw plays / runs that complement the passing game.

Eagles fans may remember a game in Atlanta around Thanksgiving in 1994. The Falcons scored a TD to open the 4th quarter to take a 28-14 lead. June Jones would have four more series on offense during which he ran the ball 10 times for 15 yards. Jeff George was passing only on 3rd down and completed 1 of 4 attempts for 10 yards. Meanwhile, the Eagles cut the score to 28-21 (the final). The Run and Shoot and Air Raid offenses are not designed to run out the clock and they are often ineffective when they try to do so. It is similar to watching Navy / Army / Air Force try to pass to come from behind.

Reactions: miketd1
The Athletic had a great article about all the coaches that came from one of Leach's Texas Tech teams. Was an oral history of those coaches.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
The Athletic had a great article about all the coaches that came from one of Leach's Texas Tech teams. Was an oral history of those coaches.
Yup I posted snippets from that article here and also snippets from an article about the qbs of Leach too. It's got a lot of good content and I've only read it for CFB stuff. I'm sure it must be good for the other sports too.

But someone has to block, right? And who would that be if not the OL?

If you are throwing bubbles, and tunnels you can get away with only blocking for a second or two.

In the option you get to leave someone unblocked, and cut way more.

Also I do not think our current scheme necessarily helps our linemen. We go for a lot of Big On Big blocking as opposed to true zone blocking.

If you are throwing bubbles, and tunnels you can get away with only blocking for a second or two.

Also I do not think our current scheme necessarily helps our linemen. We go for a lot of Big On Big blocking as opposed to true zone blocking.

Thanks for the explanation! I would think, from what little I've read about zone blocking, is that it doesn't require bodies as big as one-on-one blocking, because two men launch the initial blocks against one defender, and then one rolls off to take the linebacker, who will generally not be as big as a lineman.

Coach, is this because the linemen lack quick feet?

BOB blocking also might be because they want to go straight forward as quickly as possible to limit negative runs?

Are they setting up RPOs?

What do you think is the reason?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT