Chris Ash Develops Players Who Play in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Thought this deserved its own thread.
A sample of two and three star players who made it to the NFL that were coached by Chris Ash:

Darius Hillary
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/roster/Darius-Hillary/75a9181b-5d25-4e87-bb73-5ad8c378f889
Dezmen Southward

http://host.madison.com/sports/coll...efe0febe-e4e5-11e1-be9b-0019bb2963f4.amp.html
"UW defensive coordinator Chris Ash said Hillary will get a look at free safety, where he’ll compete for the backup spot behind Dezmen Southward."
“When you look at our needs on the defensive side of the ball in the secondary, we need some guys that can run and make some plays in space when you’re playing against spread offenses,” Ash said. “Right now, we feel good about the pool of corners that we have and we think (Hillary is) a guy that can help us this year somewhere, and we’re going to give him a shot at safety and see if that’s a spot he can help us.”

Dezmen Southward (2 Stars)
http://www.nfl.com/player/dezmensouthward/2543775/profile

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/...-for-the-next-step-b9971854z1-219139471.html/
"That may mean absolutely nothing to someone else, but if you're with coach Ash as much as I was it means a lot, because he doesn't give compliments very often. And when he does he means it.

"I feel like if I can be a consistent player and stay healthy and do things the right way all those accolades will come."

Whether Southward garners any individual honors this season remains to be determined.

Marcus Cromartie (3 Stars)
http://www.nfl.com/player/marcuscromartie/2541141/profile
http://host.madison.com/sports/coll...22c1f494-ddc8-11e0-94dd-001cc4c002e0.amp.html

Asked for his reaction after Smith went down, Cromartie said, “It’s time to play. I’ve got a role in nickel, I kind of accepted that role and tried to make as many plays as I could. Devin goes down, I know coach Ash has a ‘next-man’ mentality. I just came in and tried to make as many plays as possible.”

Cromartie had a good camp and at one point was pushing Smith for the starting job.

“I wouldn’t anticipate there’s going to be anything different with (Cromartie),’’ Ash said. “He has prepared himself well for this opportunity and is going to be just fine.”

Ellis Hobbs (no stars?)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellis_Hobbs
https://cyclonefanatic.com/2016/07/cf-watn-ellis-hobbs/
That’s how he approached life at ISU. Film study led to that game and career-sealing interception. He credits then-assistants DeMontie Cross and Chris Ash. His natural ability allowed him to run fast. Their guidance allowed him to do the same, in reverse.

“Just imagine,” Hobbs said. “I’d been running forward for so long and now I’m actually playing a position that you have to run backwards
. So trying to learn that on the fly is kind of like learning how to throw left-handed. So how do you do that?”

Leonard Johnson (3 Stars)
http://www.nfl.com/player/leonardjohnson/2532878/profile
https://cyclonefanatic.com/2010/04/ellis-hobbs-is-a-mentor-to-leonard-johnson/
Former Iowa State secondary coach Chris Ash connected the two the last time Hobbs was in town.
http://www.cyclones.com/news/2009/8/20/204778750.aspx?path=football
Iowa State's Leonard Johnson was a first-team freshman All-American kick returner last season. Secondary coach Chris Ash says Johnson has improved significantly at cornerback.

“Leonard will be the first to tell you he didn't know what he was doing last year,” Ash said. “As a true freshman in the Big 12 the game was just going too fast. Now the game is slowing down for him and he is getting more comfortable back there.”

http://proxy.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/tag?name=leonard-johnson
The Des Moines Register's Randy Peterson writes that Iowa State cornerback Leonard Johnson is relieved that new secondary coach Chris Ash decided to stay with the Cyclones.

-------
Darron Lee (3 Stars)
http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/roster/Darron-Lee/055ecbba-5606-4e8f-a19b-9a00db407cd9
http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/04/what_jets_draft_pick_darron_lee_learned_from_rutge.html
Which, it turns out, is something he picked up from Chris Ash, the Buckeyes' former co-defensive coordinator/safeties who is now the head man just down the road from here at Rutgers.

Lee's position coaches at OSU were Ash and Luke Fickell, the co-defensive coordinator/linebackers. Fickell handled the run-defense side of things, while Ash worked with Lee on playing in coverage.

"Coach Ash, he helped me with the discipline aspect, the patience with coverage, and just understanding coverage concepts," Lee said. "I'm very thankful how he brought about what they wanted to call the walkout linebacker spot. That was perfect for me.

"He's been a huge help. He's been a great teacher, honestly. And I can't thank him enough for the opportunities he has given me, and for all the lessons he has taught me
."

Malik Hooker (3 Star)
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/04/27/malik-hooker-nfl-draft-colts-ohio-state-new-castle-high-school/stories/201704270200

http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Bolt/Hooker-Ash-was-the-reason-for-me-coming-to-Ohio-State-47877672 (Hooker: ‘Ash was the reason for me coming to Ohio State’ )

Reactions: lilphilw
If you are a recruit with aspirations to one day be a defensive player in the NFL (in particular - defensive back), there are very few coaches that can help you get there who are just as good as Ash. Honestly, Greg is one. Charles Kelly maybe. Who else? Very few.

Ash is among the best of the best in developing NFL defensive players.

Reactions: ruready07
Great bits of information. What do you think Block? Does that help you out? Or should we credit their high school and pee wee coaches as well?

Reactions: Knight Shift
BlockR and MYHATINTHERING are too busy googling all the NFL players developed by the great Al "9 win" Golden.

That's a lot of DBs... I wouldn't mind getting back to having a flithy defensive backfield. It gives you a lot of options with how you want to run your D, and frankly, it will be an easier position for RU to recruit than the DL.

Just want Ash to develop a program that's capable of going to the major bowl games, playoffs and be National Champions before his 5 years are up.:D

Just want Ash to develop a program that's capable of going to the major bowl games, playoffs and be National Champions before his 5 years are up.:D
I agree, it's great to put players in the NFL, but I argue with board members who claim it's the most important thing, that and promising early playing time.

IMO, you should never promise playing time and the emphasis should be on winning, not preparing for the NFL.
If I were coaching, NFL would never come out of my mouth and only preparation for life after college would be discussed.

I could be very wrong about this, it's only my thoughts.

I agree, it's great to put players in the NFL, but I argue with board members who claim it's the most important thing, that and promising early playing time.

IMO, you should never promise playing time and the emphasis should be on winning, not preparing for the NFL.
If I were coaching, NFL would never come out of my mouth and only preparation for life after college would be discussed.

The point of the post was to put something POSITIVE up about Coach Ash and the program because so many "fans" seem to be hysterical and unhinged over Coach Ash's appearance on Boomer and Carton yesterday.

The fans cry foul because the Star Ledger and NJ.com shit all over Rutgers, but then fans on this board shit all over our football coach in a 4-5 page thread because of a minor mistake on a radio show.

Thanks for posting something positive.

This thread won't get nearly the attention that the thread "Ash didn't know the date of the game with the Terps." is receiving. Yes, most of our fans could write for the SL.

Thanks for posting something positive.

This thread won't get nearly the attention that the thread "Ash didn't know the date of the game with the Terps." is receiving. Yes, most of our fans could write for the SL.
Didn't you mean, "Carton cut off Ash before he could answer the date of the game" thread?

Reactions: RAA-1

I think you tell that particular kid and his handlers/family what they want to hear to get him to sign that letter of intent. Each recruit is different.

Does anyone argue it is 'the most important thing'? I have to say I don't recall seeing that. I would argue it is an important thing, in that generally players who make the NFL have performed well in college and helped the team. I would argue it is important as it is a good recruiting hook.

Winning is obviously 'the most important thing', and you can do that without putting a lot of players in the NFL. That said, putting players in the NFL sure as hell never hurt anyone.

What gets lost is that under Ash, Lee and Hooker both solid 3 stars evidently became 1st round draft picks. I would be giddy if that happens here.

Does anyone argue it is 'the most important thing'? I have to say I don't recall seeing that. I would argue it is an important thing, in that generally players who make the NFL have performed well in college and helped the team. I would argue it is important as it is a good recruiting hook.

Winning is obviously 'the most important thing', and you can do that without putting a lot of players in the NFL. That said, putting players in the NFL sure as hell never hurt anyone.
I recall having a discussion with Kyk a while back...he was explaining to me the importance of telling kids that we will prepare them for "the league"

Correct me if I'm wrong Kyk

The point of the post was to put something POSITIVE up about Coach Ash and the program because so many "fans" seem to be hysterical and unhinged over Coach Ash's appearance on Boomer and Carton yesterday.

The fans cry foul because the Star Ledger and NJ.com shit all over Rutgers, but then fans on this board shit all over our football coach in a 4-5 page thread because of a minor mistake on a radio show.

What did he say on Boomer and Carton?

A lot of big time recruits are looking for the NFL. Not everyone is Myron Rolle. Every 3+ star recruit in High School thinks they are good enough to play

Reactions: MoobyCow
"Ummm, I knew you would ask me that. I have to be honest..."

I listened to it. It's not a huge deal. But one of the negative things about Ash is he lacks the charisma for the North East. He rather dull and doesn't really have swagger. But wins and losses are the most important thing so we'll see how this year goes.

Reactions: MoobyCow
I listened to it. It's not a huge deal. But one of the negative things about Ash is he lacks the charisma for the North East. He rather dull and doesn't really have swagger. But wins and losses are the most important thing so we'll see how this year goes.
haha.. @RU-Choppin-Ohio had posted this here.. necroing a post from 2017 and then deleted it...

He replied to @madchuck who is quoted above...

-RU-Choppin_Ohio said...
"You are like Charles Foster Kane. Obsessed with the past but in a negative way.​
Instead of saying "Rosebud" on your death bed you are gonna say "Chris Ash" and then fade away."​

Reactions: madchuck
Not sure why this got bumped . But good read !
read my post.. I must have seen this thread the moment RU-Choppin-Ohio brought it back from the dead to throw an insult at madchuck.. only to realize he had responded as if it was madchuck who brought the thread back now to talk about Ash.

When I went to reply to RU-Choppin-Ohio's post the board said it was not found.. so I cut and pasted the text to preserve the nonsense and explain to others how this thread pops up on the first page.

My guess is that this is once again the cause of the "Similar thread" garbage that appears at the bottom of actual threads being viewed...

haha.. @RU-Choppin-Ohio had posted this here.. necroing a post from 2017 and then deleted it...

He replied to @madchuck who is quoted above...

-RU-Choppin_Ohio said...
"You are like Charles Foster Kane. Obsessed with the past but in a negative way.​
Instead of saying "Rosebud" on your death bed you are gonna say "Chris Ash" and then fade away."​
It was not meant for madchuck, bonehead. It was a mistake. Stop trying to create drama. What are you a 15 year girl?

Yes, I deleted it because I put it on the wrong thread. It was meant for a thread on the Round Table for Block R. Check there and you will see it.

Reactions: madchuck
It was not meant for madchuck, bonehead. It was a mistake. Stop trying to create drama. What are you a 15 year girl?

Yes, I deleted it because I put it on the wrong thread. It was meant for a thread on the Round Table for Block R. Check there and you will see it.
so you had a thread from 2017 open in another window and just made a mistake... okay.

Unfortunately this rang true.
I listened to it. It's not a huge deal. But one of the negative things about Ash is he lacks the charisma for the North East. He rather dull and doesn't really have swagger. But wins and losses are the most important thing so we'll see how this year goes

so you had a thread from 2017 open in another window and just made a mistake... okay.
Stop being a 15 year old teenage girl looking for drama.

AND yes, I was looking at old threads. If you had any common sense you will see my comment does not even match that old thread....it matches a new one on the Round Table started by Block R titled.....

Todays Reminder that Chris Ash didn't want Heisman Candidate Kenny Pickett.​

Stop being a 15 year old teenage girl looking for drama.

AND yes, I was looking at old threads. If you had any common sense you will see my comment does not even match that old thread....it matches a new one on the Round Table started by Block R titled.....

Todays Reminder that Chris Ash didn't want Heisman Candidate Kenny Pickett.​

This obsession you have for 15-year-old girls... are you getting help?

Look.. when you deleted your post it meant this 2017 thread would stay on the first page of the free board with no explanation as to how it got there.

You could have just edited your post and said you had mistakenly brought it up.. and said sorry. I merely thought to explain it with the context of the post I saw... which also oddly matched this thread... if I assumed you assumed this thread was current for some silly reason.

And you have to admit.. you scolding someone about being obsessed with the past in a thread from 2017 is just comically ironic... mistake or intentional.. still ironic.

Bad form by GOR here. Choppin made a mistake, tried to delete it and you quoted it to start sht. Necro is now on you.

Better to let the whole thread disappear, no?

Reactions: RUPete
Bad form by GOR here. Choppin made a mistake, tried to delete it and you quoted it to start sht. Necro is now on you.

Better to let the whole thread disappear, no?
Or I could just change the Title and first post to "Greg Schiano Develops Players Who Play in the NFL" 😈

@Tango Two or @DJ Spanky , would you please lock this thread. It was silly to dredge up, and appears to have happened by accident or misunderstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT