ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Ash remaining guaranteed annual salaries

I feel Schiano was way better than Ash but he didn't have to game plan for Ohio St., Michigan, Michigan St., and Penn St. every year. The question is would Schiano's recruiting have improved due to being in the B1G? I think it would have and that's where Ash is failing.

I think very clearly he would have recruited better. He had to recruit while opponents were telling kids that the Big East was collapsing (it was) and that Rutgers was going to be left in some 3rd tier conference. How you don't recruit better with that negative out of the way is astounding.

After reading some of the comments about Ash being the worst coach in our history, there is a certain guys name that I never see come up in this discussion. While Ash is in over his head and imo not a good coach, the coach that truly murdered this program was Kyle Flood.

He took all the momentum we had from the Schiano years and brought 0 talent. The talent he did bring in was low character guys. Flood took all that ground work through the 2000's and pissed it down the drain overnight.

This is no excuse for Ash but he was left a steaming pile of S**T from that coaching regime. We had the chance to spend on a coach and build off the success Schiano brought. Instead, we were cheap and hired a guy that had no idea recruit, coach, or run a program.

While he had some success in the form of W/L I think we can all agree that was just carryover from Schiano and the second his fingerprints got over the program it was done. As awful as Ash is there should be more talk about how horrific Flood actually was.

After reading some of the comments about Ash being the worst coach in our history, there is a certain guys name that I never see come up in this discussion. While Ash is in over his head and imo not a good coach, the coach that truly murdered this program was Kyle Flood.

He took all the momentum we had from the Schiano years and brought 0 talent. The talent he did bring in was low character guys. Flood took all that ground work through the 2000's and pissed it down the drain overnight.

This is no excuse for Ash but he was left a steaming pile of S**T from that coaching regime. We had the chance to spend on a coach and build off the success Schiano brought. Instead, we were cheap and hired a guy that had no idea recruit, coach, or run a program.

While he had some success in the form of W/L I think we can all agree that was just carryover from Schiano and the second his fingerprints got over the program it was done. As awful as Ash is there should be more talk about how horrific Flood actually was.

Terry Shea, while a nice man, had absolutely zero idea of how to get players to come to Rutgers. It was brutal what his linemen looked like. It made us all dream of the good old Graber years.

How I long for the good old days when many on this board were grousing that despite the wins they against were uninteresting opponents and made for a weak strength of schedule. All that harrumphing about not being enamored of second rate bowl games.

I LOL'd when I read this. For as long as I've been reading this board there has always been a loudly obsessive anti-coach/anti-AD contingent. Apparently posters have short memories of how Schiano was consistently bashed for things like Cream Puff schedules, insignificant bowl games and poor game day coaching......and posters who stuck by him were nametagged as pollyanna's.

Terry Shea, while a nice man, had absolutely zero idea of how to get players to come to Rutgers. It was brutal what his linemen looked like. It made us all dream of the good old Graber years.
I was a little too young for those years but I have heard the horror stories :joy:.

My point was more that while Ash has done nothing to inspire confidence or improvement he was put in a severe disadvantage because of how the way Flood left the program.

Ash just isn't the right guy for the job because he still has no identity and I doesn't seem to know what it takes to build culture.

Zero talent-hyperbole much?
Janarion Grant, Andre Patton, Dorian Miller, Kemoko Turay, Myles Nash, Anthony Cioffi, Isaiah Wharton, Tariq Cole, Robert Martin, Saquan Hampton, Josh Hicks, Jawuan Harris, Blessuan Austin, and Jonah Jackson all say hello.

Flood was horrific but he was better on game day (I can't believe I am typing that). He also didn't give a giant middle finger to every tradition we have at Rutgers. They're both awful. This board keeps arguing over whose dump smells worse. They both stink.

Zero talent-hyperbole much?
Janarion Grant, Andre Patton, Dorian Miller, Kemoko Turay, Myles Nash, Anthony Cioffi, Isaiah Wharton, Tariq Cole, Robert Martin, Saquan Hampton, Josh Hicks, Jawuan Harris, Blessuan Austin, and Jonah Jackson all say hello.

How about depth? Yes, some of the players you listed were solid players but some are also stretches. Juwuan Harris? cmon he played 2 years. Blessuan Austin played like 25 games over 4 years. Josh Hicks? This is a big 10 team do you really expect when I say 0 talent I literally meant 0 guys. Jeez. Lighten up.

Recruiting is more then just getting 10-15 guys that can play. Arguably 15-50 spots on the roster are moe improtant and Talent severly lacked in that area and was either poorly recruited from a talent or character perspective. Suspensions and injuries proved how thin the team was under him. The way you talk makes it seem like we were churning out talent under Flood.

None of the guys you listed were even listed were high draft picks if drafted at all, sans Turay. I'm just sick of people trashing Ash and not acting like you Flood put us in this spot to begin with

Don't you think its pretty telling his top recruit was a returner? How many guys improved year to year?

Reactions: RUScrew85
Flood was horrific but he was better on game day (I can't believe I am typing that). He also didn't give a giant middle finger to every tradition we have at Rutgers. They're both awful. This board keeps arguing over whose dump smells worse. They both stink.

Agree completely but flood is a black eye ala Mike Rice is for bball. Maybe Ash is our Eddie Jordan and we'll be getting our version of Pikiell soon :pray:

How about depth? Yes, some of the players you listed were solid players but some are also stretches. Juwuan Harris? cmon he played 2 years. Blessuan Austin played like 25 games over 4 years. Josh Hicks? This is a big 10 team do you really expect when I say 0 talent I literally meant 0 guys. Jeez. Lighten up.

Recruiting is more then just getting 10-15 guys that can play. Arguably 15-50 spots on the roster are moe improtant and Talent severly lacked in that area and was either poorly recruited from a talent or character perspective. Suspensions and injuries proved how thin the team was under him. The way you talk makes it seem like we were churning out talent under Flood.

None of the guys you listed were even listed were high draft picks if drafted at all, sans Turay. I'm just sick of people trashing Ash and not acting like you Flood put us in this spot to begin with

Don't you think its pretty telling his top recruit was a returner? How many guys improved year to year?
You said ZERO talent, and you are telling me to lighten up? Now it is lack of depth? Is that the meaning of zero talent?
oWUuoMf.gif

Hicks ran for 6.4 yards per carry in his freshman year in the B1G.
In his sophomore year, he ran for 5.2 yards per carry.

To your overall point, I agree. Depth was indeed a problem. The state of the roster and the program was in serious disrepair. While fans have not seen results on the field, IMO, whoever is the HC in 2020 will inherit a much stronger program than the program Ash inherited. Ash's biggest liabilities have been OC selection and establishing an offensive identity. His recruiting has been subpar for the B1G East, but he has been in an uphill battle from day 1, and he just does not have a great personality for recruiting and generating excitement.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Greg years 1-3: 8-27
Ash years 1-3: 7-29

Did people say the same things about Greg after year 3, or in year 4, when the team took a step back and lost to New Hampshire?
actually after Shea RU fans weren't expecting much.
We hoped for a good program, but but didn't expect one.
What Greg did ( in the beginning) was talk a good enough game to get more interest in the program
and give a sense of hope despite his 1-11 & 2-9 record his first two seasons.
His going 5-7 in the third season made more people start noticing how RU FB was looking like it might just become good.
Fourth season disappointment of losing to New Hampshire after upsetting MSU and ending with a 4-8 record was comforted by the way Schiano was making RU look like it was playing more competitively than in the past even during losses..

Ash doesn't seem to have the type of personality to get RU fans to believe in him
and Ash's going 1-11 after a 4-8 season is a lot worse than when Schiano went 4-8 in his 4th season after a 5-7 one in his thrid.

Ash doesn't instill confidence , while Schiano oozed it and it was contagious to many when they looked at how Greg was running the program and improving the talent committing to RU.

Ash's recruiting and personality doesn't give RU FB fans confidence in him as a HC, he might ooze confidence inside of himself, but it doesn't show enough outside that will have RU FB fans believe he deserves to be trusted.
But that's only my opinion on the way his personality differs from Schiano and why Greg seems to have had more trust in the beginning of his tenure than Chris is having now.

actually after Shea RU fans weren't expecting much.
We hoped for a good program, but but didn't expect one.
What Greg did ( in the beginning) was talk a good enough game to get more interest in the program
and give a sense of hope despite his 1-11 & 2-9 record his first two seasons.
His going 5-7 in the third season made more people start noticing how RU FB was looking like it might just become good.
Fourth season disappointment of losing to New Hampshire after upsetting MSU and ending with a 4-8 record was comforted by the way Schiano was making RU look like it was playing more competitively than in the past even during losses..

Ash doesn't seem to have the type of personality to get RU fans to believe in him
and Ash's going 1-11 after a 4-8 season is a lot worse than when Schiano went 4-8 in his 4th season after a 5-7 one in his thrid.

Ash doesn't instill confidence , while Schiano oozed it and it was contagious to many when they looked at how Greg was running the program and improving the talent committing to RU.

Ash's recruiting and personality doesn't give RU FB fans confidence in him as a HC, he might ooze confidence inside of himself, but it doesn't show enough outside that will have RU FB fans believe he deserves to be trusted.
But that's only my opinion on the way his personality differs from Schiano and why Greg seems to have had more trust in the beginning of his tenure than Chris is having now.
Perception means a lot, and Ash does nothing to help people believe he is the man to get the job done.

You said ZERO talent, and you are telling me to lighten up? Now it is lack of depth? Is that the meaning of zero talent?
oWUuoMf.gif

Hicks ran for 6.4 yards per carry in his freshman year in the B1G.
In his sophomore year, he ran for 5.2 yards per carry.

To your overall point, I agree. Depth was indeed a problem. The state of the roster and the program was in serious disrepair. While fans have not seen results on the field, IMO, whoever is the HC in 2020 will inherit a much stronger program than the program Ash inherited. Ash's biggest liabilities have been OC selection and establishing an offensive identity. His recruiting has been subpar for the B1G East, but he has been in an uphill battle from day 1, and he just does not have a great personality for recruiting and generating excitement.

Ya zero talent and no depth go hand in hand. Or would me saying 15% talent be better for you? The talent of 10 guys doesn't make up for the other 40. Would you call those Flood teams talented? No you wouldn't.

Hicks ran for a combined 237 yards his junior and senior season. That 6.4 ypc in his freshman year came on 69 attempts and half of his yards were in one game. His lone productive season was his sophomore year and even that was inflated by his performance against an FCS team and Kansas. You are doing a disservice to the other players on that list to include a 3rd string running back. Or his inclusion on that list more indicative of the talent pool? hmm

Reactions: RUScrew85
Ya zero talent and no depth go hand in hand. Or would me saying 15% talent be better for you? The talent of 10 guys doesn't make up for the other 40. Would you call those Flood teams talented? No you wouldn't.

Hicks ran for a combined 237 yards his junior and senior season. That 6.4 ypc in his freshman year came on 69 attempts and half of his yards were in one game. His lone productive season was his sophomore year and even that was inflated by his performance against an FCS team and Kansas. You are doing a disservice to the other players on that list to include a 3rd string running back. Or his inclusion on that list more indicative of the talent pool? hmm
Zero means zero, and you said it. Geez.

Pardon me, but you are doing a disservice to the other players by reiterating that the team had ZERO TALENT. Your words.
Hicks was put in the doghouse, behind Goodwin, and then Gus came in.
You have no idea what you are talking about.
Hicks ran for more than 4.5 YPC against Maryland, Nebraska, Michigan, Wisconsin, Kansas, Penn State, and Washington State. Sorry you don't like him, but he was a solid running back.

How I long for the good old days when many on this board were grousing that despite the wins they against were uninteresting opponents and made for a weak strength of schedule. All that harrumphing about not being enamored of second rate bowl games.

I know right, i would kill for the dreaded Pinstrip Bowl now, LOL.

Reactions: BlockR
Zero means zero, and you said it. Geez.

Pardon me, but you are doing a disservice to the other players by reiterating that the team had ZERO TALENT. Your words.
Hicks was put in the doghouse, behind Goodwin, and then Gus came in.
You have no idea what you are talking about.
Hicks ran for more than 4.5 YPC against Maryland, Nebraska, Michigan, Wisconsin, Kansas, Penn State, and Washington State. Sorry you don't like him, but he was a solid running back.

Cherry picking stats much?

If he was solid (to borrow from your enlightening commentary "Your words") he would've played.

I'm sorry but average at best running back (for one single season keep in mind) ranking in your top 15 players for a regime is a joke and proves the point I was trying to get across.

I'm not going to argue semantics with you as hyperbole seems to go over your head but when you are starting wideouts and and walkons all over the secondary after a couple injuries that constitutes 0 talent in my book since the talent on the roster was much closer to 0 then any other number.

Cherry picking stats much?

If he was solid (to borrow from your enlightening commentary "Your words") he would've played.

I'm sorry but average at best running back (for one single season keep in mind) ranking in your top 15 players for a regime is a joke and proves the point I was trying to get across.

I'm not going to argue semantics with you as hyperbole seems to go over your head but when you are starting wideouts and and walkons all over the secondary after a couple injuries that constitutes 0 talent in my book since the talent on the roster was much closer to 0 then any other number.
Cherry picking? You pick one player out of the list of players provided, and try to make your case. Hicks had talent. Period. He apparently did not buy into Ash's "program" and lost playing time.

Harris had a great sophomore year at WR and then switched to DB because he was a team player. Good player. Not zero talent. Done here. Have a nice day.

for reference:
2019: 2.3million
2020: 2.4 million
2021: 2.5 million
2022: 2.6 million

All guaranteed. $7.5 million after this season.

This is an over simplification. I posted this in another similar thread:

Ash has a fully guaranteed salary through February 28, 2023. At the end of November 2019, Ash will be owed almost 3.5 years of guaranteed pay.
Ash's annual salary is currently $2.3 million. It increases $100,000 each March 1.
At the end of November 2019, Ash will still be owed more than $8 million guaranteed. It is payable on Ash's already existing pay dates. Thus, Rutgers does not have to pay $8 million at once, but provides Ash his paychecks due every two weeks until February 28, 2023.

If Ash is terminated without cause, he is not owed any further benefits.

Following termination Ash is required to "exert reasonable efforts to secure other employment consistent with" his "background, skills, and experience." Rutgers is entitled to offset any amount owed to Ash by whatever his new salary is.

Put another way, Ash is currently owed about $8.9 million guaranteed through February 28, 2023. Every two weeks this season, Rutgers pays him about $88,000, and the guaranteed amount due to Ash decreases by about that much.

By the way, for the optimists out there, Ash owes a buyout of $500,000 per year remaining on his contract if he leaves Rutgers voluntarily. Thus, Ash would owe more than $1.5 million if he voluntarily leaves after this season.

Cherry picking? You pick one player out of the list of players provided, and try to make your case. Hicks had talent. Period. He apparently did not buy into Ash's "program" and lost playing time.

Harris had a great sophomore year at WR and then switched to DB because he was a team player. Good player. Not zero talent. Done here. Have a nice day.

Your bar for talent seems to be more for a team in the AAC vs a team in the Big 10. A far cry from us having multiple NFL draft picks and NFL starters during Schiano years.

Its sad that Ash has skewed your vision of talent so much that you can reach for players that contributed in a very limited manor compared to the average college football player. 5 good games by a guy over the course of 4 years is now a success. But I guess I'll be reminiscing about the illustrious Josh Hicks in 10 years. [roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll]

Reactions: BlockR
Your bar for talent seems to be more for a team in the AAC vs a team in the Big 10. A far cry from us having multiple NFL draft picks and NFL starters during Schiano years.

Its sad that Ash has skewed your vision of talent so much that you can reach for players that contributed in a very limited manor compared to the average college football player. 5 good games by a guy over the course of 4 years is now a success. But I guess I'll be reminiscing about the illustrious Josh Hicks in 10 years. [roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll]
Yawn.

Wrong again!!!!
Saquan Hampton, Blessuan Austin, Kemoko Turay, Sebastian Joseph, Gus Edwards, Ryan Anderson, Kaleb Johnson, Robert Martin and Isaiah Wharton say hello.
Gus Edwards is only half RU,will start..
Turay will be on roster.
Joseph probably will be on active roster.
The rest may say hello from waiver wire or practice squad,.
Compare that to super bowl and pro bowl players Schiano produced.

Saquan Hampton, Blessuan Austin, Kemoko Turay, Sebastian Joseph, Gus Edwards, Ryan Anderson, Kaleb Johnson, Robert Martin and Isaiah Wharton say hello.
One of these guys is actually playing in the NFL the rest are getting try outs. By NFL players we mean the McCourtey’s Rice Leonard Britt and the rest. Only Kemoko will be in the NFL and Edwards is a Miami player was here one year does not count.

Reactions: ScarletR30
One of these guys is actually playing in the NFL the rest are getting try outs. By NFL players we mean the McCourtey’s Rice Leonard Britt and the rest. Only Kemoko will be in the NFL and Edwards is a Miami player was here one year does not count.

So, you are writing off the players who were just drafted (Hampton and Wharton) in the 2019 Draft before the season has even started? How nice.
Sebastian Joseph Day:
2018 SEASON: Spent the entire season on the Rams 53-man roster.

By your standards, we should also scrub all the players who washed out with little or no playing time like Carroo, Khaseem Green, D'Imperio, Teel and others.

Yeah KF was so bad. Playing Notre Dame, VPI and NC in bowls and being co-Big East champs were the bad old days ! Now we have this yokel Chris Ash who doesn’t even bother to mention wins, bowls or championships. We’re in sooo much better hands. And we’re paying an extra mil plus for the privilege of having him grace the banks

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve91562
I can assure you there was no shortage of people on this board who wanted Greg fired in '03 - '04. After the New Hampshire loss there weren't a lot of people who were openly defending him.

I remember being disappointed in the loss, but the recruiting was on the uptick giving us hope for the future.

Yeah KF was so bad. Playing Notre Dame, VPI and NC in bowls and being co-Big East champs were the bad old days ! Now we have this yokel Chris Ash who doesn’t even bother to mention wins, bowls or championships. We’re in sooo much better hands. And we’re paying an extra mil plus for the privilege of having him grace the banks
I liked Kyle Flood. If you ever attended any of the coaching clinics you could see that he was a great O-line coach.I just think he should have been interim head coach, aka Luke Fickell at OSU. He kept the seat warm for one year til Urban Meyer was hired.
I blame the administration for making Kyle Flood the permanent head coach,This is a very tough place to have your first head coaching job.
Not taking any credit from him but Schiano handed him the best defense in the country, when he left.

Reactions: TRU2RU and RUaMoose
Schiano’s 3rd season showed a lot of improvement, 5-7, Ash meanwhile was a shocking 1-11, getting blown out by Buffalo and Kansas

The worst Football Coach in RU history, possibly the worst in any RU sport.

This year will most likely be 2-10’or 3-9. Hopefully a new AD hires a new Head Coach , w previous successful Head Coaching experience, without an agent conflict.
A new AD? Really???

Schiano’s 3rd season showed a lot of improvement, 5-7, Ash meanwhile was a shocking 1-11, getting blown out by Buffalo and Kansas

The worst Football Coach in RU history, possibly the worst in any RU sport.

This year will most likely be 2-10’or 3-9. Hopefully a new AD hires a new Head Coach , w previous successful Head Coaching experience, without an agent conflict.

Gone after game 4.

I feel Schiano was way better than Ash but he didn't have to game plan for Ohio St., Michigan, Michigan St., and Penn St. every year. The question is would Schiano's recruiting have improved due to being in the B1G? I think it would have and that's where Ash is failing.

Shiano's game plan was to always rely on having superior talent. Sometimes he didn't - but that didn't change anything.

Forget it Jake, it's the board police.

Reactions: ScarletR30
ADVERTISEMENT