ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Christian Colucci Granted Sixth Year

Lex Knapp

All Conference
Staff
Mar 27, 2018
No “boom” this time, just a little cowbell.

Christian Colucci announced on Twitter he will be returning for a sixth year. The Rutgers heavyweight was granted a medical waiver by the NCAA to compete in the 2020-21 season.

Colucci had a promising start in 2019-20, but it was derailed by his injury. Now back for one last year, fans will be eyeing who earns the heavyweight spot between Colucci, and newly committed Boone McDermott.

There was already a lot of hype and excitement surround McDermott’s arrival, but will he now have to wait a year to see the starting line up?

Click the link below to read TKR’s story on Christian Colucci’s sixth year, and what it means for Rutgers heavyweight spot in 2021!
https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/rutgers-wrestling-heavyweight-christian-colucci-granted-sixth-year-1

Last edited:
I don’t think he’s worried about some competition in the room. No matter where he went in the Big 10 there would have been competition. Let the best big man win!
I hope you are right. But he went from a room where he was going to be the guy at Heavy to a crowded room with a returning starter in just a few weeks.

Reactions: koleszar
Lex, do you think there is a chance McDermott doesn't come because of this?
If that is his mindset, then McDermott is someone the coaching staff wouldn’t want. I don’t think he’s that type of kid. However, between Colucci this season, and Hamilton coming in 2021, there’s no doubt McDermott will need to earn the starting role all three years.

I agree with all of the above.
Does Boone need 1 season at a Division 1 school?
Collucci should be a lNCAA Qualifier, but given the depth at heavyweight, it would be a stretch to see him contend for an All American.

I would love to see Collucci get to AA status, but he is a mid tier B10 wrestler
1 SO Gable Steveson Minnesota 1
2 SO Mason Parris Michigan 2
3 FR Anthony Cassioppi Iowa 3
4 SO Trent Hillger Wisconsin 4

(Not to mention the PSU Heavyweight and gas tank Gary)

Love seeing the QUALITY B10 Depth at this weight.
Now have NJRTC or SKWC get a heavyweight Training Partner and we are set.

I agree with all of the above.
Does Boone need 1 season at a Division 1 school?
Collucci should be a lNCAA Qualifier, but given the depth at heavyweight, it would be a stretch to see him contend for an All American.

I would love to see Collucci get to AA status, but he is a mid tier B10 wrestler
1 SO Gable Steveson Minnesota 1
2 SO Mason Parris Michigan 2
3 FR Anthony Cassioppi Iowa 3
4 SO Trent Hillger Wisconsin 4

(Not to mention the PSU Heavyweight and gas tank Gary)

Love seeing the QUALITY B10 Depth at this weight.
Now have NJRTC or SKWC get a heavyweight Training Partner and we are set.
Ohio State got a NQ transfer from Utah Valley so throw him in the mix (will need to beat Gas Tank but I think he will).

Whichever if the two ends up the starter, both guys certainly need the other. Espo isn’t quite at their level yet though he did wrestle tough last season. Competition in the room is a good thing.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
ADVERTISEMENT