ADVERTISEMENT

Cincinnati football game 2006

Or, my favorite inexplicable Rutgers sports event, William & Mary football game 1980. Good deeds never seem to go unpunished in Rutgers sports.

It was a long drive back to NJ for us after that game.
Team was flat and had no motivation for playing that night.

Same vibe.
Exactly.

Cincy was motivated through the ceiling and had the PI game plan to completely stimy us and the coaches and players never adjusted. And we folded when Brian Leonard was injured.

last night I saw no adjustments from the coach or the players. And that is unexplainable. I was shocked when we came out for the second half and weren’t running back screens/cuts for layups and kept throwing the ball away into their strength.

it feels like Pike needs to throw chairs across the locker room going bat shit crazy to kick this team’s ass. I don’t know if he has that in him.

Exactly.

Cincy was motivated through the ceiling and had the PI game plan to completely stimy us and the coaches and players never adjusted. And we folded when Brian Leonard was injured.

last night I saw no adjustments from the coach or the players. And that is unexplainable. I was shocked when we came out for the second half and weren’t running back screens/cuts for layups and kept throwing the ball away into their strength.

it feels like Pike needs to throw chairs across the locker room going bat shit crazy to kick this team’s ass. I don’t know if he has that in him.
That PI gameplan will always stick in my head. It’s one of those game plans that a fan would suggest on a message board and everyone would dismiss as unrealistic, but their coaches actually did it and it totally killed Rutgers

That cincy team that held us to 11 pts - was ranked 38th I think. So better opponent.. Difference is - Rutgers football wasn't playing a top 5-10 schedule in the country.

That '06 Cincy team was good. Their head coach was Mark Dantonio, who went on to have success at Michigan State. I believe his DC was Pat Narduzzi, who is now the head coach at Pitt and built some excellent defenses at Michigan State. Brian Kelly took over the next season and won the BE a few times. That team was turning the corner. This loss to Nebraska is nowhere near that vibe. It's closer to the end of season collapses by the better Waters and Bannon teams. If I remember correctly, one of Waters' teams lost to Virginia Tech (the worst team in the BE at the time) late in the regular season when they were on the verge of an NCAA Tournament bid. This had that vibe.

This was my analogy I posted in the game thread last night. We were playing them for our first Big East Title as well.
Schiano left for Tampa Bay after that season. I wonder if he would have stayed at RU if they won that game.

Schiano left for Tampa Bay after that season. I wonder if he would have stayed at RU if they won that game.
Nah, it would have checked the "win a championship" goal box..even easier to leave. Only thing imho would have made a differencec is going into B1G.

I had spent the whole week after the Louisville game on vacation in Jamaica, hearing lots of praise from vacationers from other schools for RU football. I only heard the result of the Cincinnati debacle when we arrived at Newark airport the night of the loss. Landing in Newark after a week in paradise is always a tough one, but hearing that the Scarlet Knights had collapsed was really a punch in the stomach. A very sad time for me.

For those who need an explanation of what happened last night, here it is ( not joking).

I have a good friend who we nickname " the black cloud" who has never been into college sports but roots for RU cuz me and another friend went there. In 2006, he jumped on the bandwagon do he could talk about football with my friend and I, but never watched a complete game ( not even Louisville). After our big win, he made plans to come into the city to watch the Cincinnati game with my friend and I. After being blown out in the first half, we just knew that he was the reason, so we have him 20 bucks and told him to go do anything except watch the 2cd half. He later admitted he went to a Sports Bar and watched the remainder of the game. We have banned him from watching any meaningful RU games since then

To connect the dots, he jumped on the basketball bandwagon this year, and up until the Maryland game had not watched a full game this year. After we inexplicably lost to the Terps, we again told him he was banned. He begged us after the Indiana win, and knowing it was Nebraska and they had lost Teddy, we allowed it.

Needless to say, his run with RU basketball is now done for 2021 and we will breathe easier after Saturday. If need be, I already have the info on his cable provider just in case we get off to a rough start and he has violated the terms of our (one sided) agreement :)

You might have to kidnap him like "Celtic Pride" untill the job is done

For those who need an explanation of what happened last night, here it is ( not joking).

I have a good friend who we nickname " the black cloud" who has never been into college sports but roots for RU cuz me and another friend went there. In 2006, he jumped on the bandwagon do he could talk about football with my friend and I, but never watched a complete game ( not even Louisville). After our big win, he made plans to come into the city to watch the Cincinnati game with my friend and I. After being blown out in the first half, we just knew that he was the reason, so we have him 20 bucks and told him to go do anything except watch the 2cd half. He later admitted he went to a Sports Bar and watched the remainder of the game. We have banned him from watching any meaningful RU games since then

To connect the dots, he jumped on the basketball bandwagon this year, and up until the Maryland game had not watched a full game this year. After we inexplicably lost to the Terps, we again told him he was banned. He begged us after the Indiana win, and knowing it was Nebraska and they had lost Teddy, we allowed it.

Needless to say, his run with RU basketball is now done for 2021 and we will breathe easier after Saturday. If need be, I already have the info on his cable provider just in case we get off to a rough start and he has violated the terms of our (one sided) agreement :)

Reactions: RURahh
2011 UConn is the game that sticks out to me too. And the final score doesn't even truly show how bad that game really was. RU was down 40-10 going into the 4th.
Yeah IIRC Nova threw for almost 300 yards just in the 4th quarter in garbage time.

If I remember correctly, one of Waters' teams lost to Virginia Tech (the worst team in the BE at the time) late in the regular season when they were on the verge of an NCAA Tournament bid. This had that vibe.
Actually that VT team wasn't that bad. We played them in the 8/9 game in the BET a week or two later.

I maintain that if you play the 2006 season 100 times, RU finishes about 1.5 games ahead of Cincy on average, the disparity between RU and anyone in that conference other than Syracuse was tenuous

That '06 Cincy team was good. Their head coach was Mark Dantonio, who went on to have success at Michigan State. I believe his DC was Pat Narduzzi, who is now the head coach at Pitt and built some excellent defenses at Michigan State. Brian Kelly took over the next season and won the BE a few times. That team was turning the corner. This loss to Nebraska is nowhere near that vibe. It's closer to the end of season collapses by the better Waters and Bannon teams. If I remember correctly, one of Waters' teams lost to Virginia Tech (the worst team in the BE at the time) late in the regular season when they were on the verge of an NCAA Tournament bid. This had that vibe.
Yep. That Cincy team was just an all-time bad timing/matchup after winning a game like Louisville. Cincy had started slowly that year and lost at #1 OSU. Then the next week they almost upset #11 Vtech away. They almost win at Louisville later in the year and lost at WVU too. All nationally ranked. They were battle tested and we were due for a letdown.

That Cincy team wasn't what someone should call good. Of their 8 wins - only 3 of them had winning records -- RU, USF, & Western Michigan. Cincy played 5 ranked teams and lost by double digits to most em, except UL - and their one ranked win over Rutgers. The week before us -Cincy had to travel- to go play #10 ranked WVU. So both teams played in big games the week before. Cincy was just more ready and took it to us

Last edited:
Plus it was the NFL. Name another Rutgers head football coach who would have turned down an NFL head coaching job to stay at Rutgers.

Reactions: bmtRUgrad
How lucky is Cincy football? They always seem to get the right coaches all the time while we got duds outside of Schiano.
We just have to hire from Central Michigan. If they were dumb enough to hire OSU's co-defensive coordinator they'd-- ah crap

06 Cindy game is a completely different vibe...the PI gameplay was the killer. If you go back and really follow the flow, without that strategy we run away with that game. Our team was also very sick that day. But if they were not willing to take 15 and just tackle our guys that were wide open and running away from them, we would have overwhelmed them. It was a swing of a ton of points.

We just have to hire from Central Michigan. If they were dumb enough to hire OSU's co-defensive coordinator they'd-- ah crap

It's crazy. I have colleagues from work that are OSU grads and they all said how Ash was the right hire and Fickell was the wrong hire. Fickell may not have had the success at RU that he had at Cincy but he could not be any worse than Ash. Hindsight is 20/20.

Half the team was sick, and Cincy game plan was perfect. Every time a WR got into the secondary free they just committed pass interference. It was brilliant. Gave us 3-4 15 yard penalties but took away 3-4 TDs. We were hurting from being sick and could not sustain anything.

So just an update, he was banned from watching today. When there were 15 minutes left, I allowed him to turn it on, and we all know what happened next. 2 of my friends, who barely know him, sent him texts urging him to turn the game off, which he did AFTER we blew it in regulation. I hate to ever bet against us, but if this guy truly has this much power, it might be worth cashing in

• Haha
Reactions: Night Man
That Cincy team wasn't what someone should call good. Of their 8 wins - only 3 of them had winning records -- RU, USF, & Western Michigan. Cincy played 5 ranked teams and lost by double digits to most em, except UL - and their one ranked win over Rutgers. The week before us -Cincy had to travel- to go play #10 ranked WVU. So both teams played in big games the week before. Cincy was just more ready and took it to us

We weren't ready for the Cincy's D...especially the pass interference penalties that prevented TD's or big gains. We might want to adopt that strategy (if needed) for some B1G opponents.

MO

ADVERTISEMENT