ADVERTISEMENT

Class of '56 Scarlet Brick Walk

PiscatawayMike

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2001
Scarlet Knight Country!
I just wanted to take a moment to post this. Frankly, for how long it has been in existence, I think it's a bit embarrassing all the bricks on the walk have not been purchased yet. I don't know if it is Rutgers' fault for not promoting it enough... or RU fans' fault for not purchasing them.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Rutgers does little to promote it. My guess is it is likely still only 50% full.
I have 2 bricks.
They should give 1 to anybody that contributes over a certain amount to the R Fund as a gift.

Agreed that little is done to promote it.

Back in December I reached out as I am interested in purchasing a brick in honor of my Father. I was told at the time that they were redesigning the website and would reach out when it was complete, probably the beginning of January. After not hearing anything for awhile I reached out again a couple weeks ago, and was directed to this same website.

Not a huge deal personally, but yeah it seems like more could certainly be done.

I've bought 4 of them - one for me and the wife, another for my parents and two as gifts (one was a present for my brother-in-law on the occasion of his second wedding).

Basically, I look for any excuse to buy a brick. You get priority points for it, so it makes more sense to purchase something tangible instead of just writing a check to the program.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
They definitely are not promoting it enough and not making it easy enough. This thing should have been filled long ago. When I first heard they were doing this, I jumped on the chance to get one. I ended up with the very first brick (regular size). I don't know if that's because I was the first to their money in or just by chance.

I should have added that even the process to get mine installed was a cluster.
I bought 1 in a year ahead of the other. They totally screwed up everyone's order that first year. So much do that the one I bought the 2nd year got installed at the same time as the one from the year earlier.
One excuse after the other. Missed every deadline. And I never got the replica of the first one. But eventually got all else right.

I just wanted to take a moment to post this. Frankly, for how long it has been in existence, I think it's a bit embarrassing all the bricks on the walk have not been purchased yet. I don't know if it is Rutgers' fault for not promoting it enough... or RU fans' fault for not purchasing them.

Mike you just did more to promote this thing than Rutgers has in the last decade. I even forgot I could buy one and have no idea how to even initiate the process. You just showed me how, as I'm not a twitter guy.

I've bought 4 of them - one for me and the wife, another for my parents and two as gifts (one was a present for my brother-in-law on the occasion of his second wedding).

Basically, I look for any excuse to buy a brick. You get priority points for it, so it makes more sense to purchase something tangible instead of just writing a check to the program.

I have 3 bricks myself. Don’t recall why I have 3. Wasn’t aware that you get priority points for having purchased them. Is that true?

I have 3 bricks myself. Don’t recall why I have 3. Wasn’t aware that you get priority points for having purchased them. Is that true?
It's true. As soon as we joined the conference, or perhaps shortly before it in anticipation of being invited, I ordered a 12" x12" brick, which is to the right of the statue, in between the statue and Mulcahy's lectern-plaque thingy. I thought for sure the bricks would sell out very quickly, and year after year I'd walk the Walk and see that almost no more had been purchased. I'm not sure if that's on RU as much as it is on the fans, though. We have been notoriously frugal, and we have sucked since Flood's second year, so it's a bad combo. If you order a brick, my experience has been that it will be placed properly by the final week of August of the year for which you've ordered it.

Reactions: rutgersfan1766

It was true when the campaign first started so don't see any reason why they would have stopped awarding priority points. It's treated as a donation since it's monetary giving to the program (for an amount that is far more than the cost of a brick and its installation) and therefore the donor automatically earns priority points.

Gosh, I hope they don't. I buy one for each niece and nephew as they come along..

It would be nice if they sent you a photo (email) when the brick is installed though (i know you can get a duplicate brick)...

Has anyone who has ordered bricks got the replicas as a gift to give along with the notion of the real brick? Was going to get both but just wanted to see if it was a worthy compliment or just a chintzy thing thats not worth having/giving to someone.

I have bought three, a good number of years back and possibly consecutive years. I had gotten some full size replica bricks for two years I believe and a mini replica brick the other year...and I think all were complimentary. And yes to answer some, it counted towards priority points. Afterwards, they completely botched this project. I tried to do a brick a few years back and you would never know the program existed. Rutgers screwed the pooch on this one.

Sweet, the link is completely useless. It doesn’t even provide a way to purchase or pricing or really anything.

Reactions: knightinaz
Has anyone who has ordered bricks got the replicas as a gift to give along with the notion of the real brick? Was going to get both but just wanted to see if it was a worthy compliment or just a chintzy thing thats not worth having/giving to someone.

MrScrew and I have 3 bricks...and have replicas for all of them. The replicas are full size and are heavy, actual bricks. I believe they were $50 each. They were, most definitely, not free.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
as Mrs. Screw said, they are EXACT duplicates. You could even say you got the original and they installed the replica lol.

Sweet, the link is completely useless. It doesn’t even provide a way to purchase or pricing or really anything.
lol, I Googled "Rutgers Athletics Class of ’56 Scarlet Brick Walk" and the 3rd item that came up was my Post from July 2017 about how to order one and the contact and the Link to the order form. When I clicked on the link it said "Form removed by administrator"... of well. Will try to reach out to the R Fund Lead for insight.

(Heaven's Tweet site is 1st and the Form Delection Message is the 2nd smh). THAT ought to give you some real insight into how it has been "promoted".

While admittedly a bit confusing at first glance, the link provided actually does allow you to proceed eventually with a brick purchase even though the process/screen steps are set up awkwardly as an event registration for some reason. It's not as intuitive to click on "Register" when you are buying a product (versus attending an event) so this online form could be improved by using a better term/phrase to label that button, such as "Purchase here" or "Buy Now" or something like that.

Now the "event" looks like maybe it was supposed to be based on the deadline of June 15th for purchasing a brick so it gets installed by the end of August this year, prior to the first home game of the 2020 season. As an additional element of clumsiness or less than clear information, the event duration on the link displays as June 15, 2020 (coming up in about a month) through June 15th, 2021. That's unclear for anyone ordering up to June 15th of this year because it appears to signal that by registering it is potentially going to get slotted for a brick purchase that occurs in the following 12-month window and thus the ordered brick would be installed by next summer prior to the first game of 2021 season.

So the process doesn't lend itself for this ongoing "campaign" to be as successful as it could be.

Last edited:
MrScrew and I have 3 bricks...and have replicas for all of them. The replicas are full size and are heavy, actual bricks. I believe they were $50 each. They were, most definitely, not free.
Thank you (and everyone) for the response. I think my mind was fried a bit when i was asking and was thinking maybe the replica was just some plastic model version. I dont mind the cost, just didnt automatically think about it being an actual brick too, haha.

Thank you (and everyone) for the response. I think my mind was fried a bit when i was asking and was thinking maybe the replica was just some plastic model version. I dont mind the cost, just didnt automatically think about it being an actual brick too, haha.

Bear in mind that an actual brick is probably less expensive than any "model" you could think to fabricate.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84

Good point..now that you mention it, I believe I did pay the $50 for the replica. I do have a mini replica from one purchased brick. I wonder if that was complementary.

No it's the real thing. Looks and feels EXACTLY like the one installed in the walk.

Reactions: fischy5000
No brainer to promote at Football and Basketball games on the scoreboards. Lets honor a professor or long time ticketholder instead.

I would be interested to know how brick sales went this year. Looking forward to seeing my Father's brick installed.
Same! I got mine order in right before the deadline and putting in a little picture in my fathers day card. I guess the installation timing for right before season will happen regardless of actual season situation.
Quite a jump in price from the 4x8 to 8x8 so id guess thats why many atleast in the past did the smaller ones.

Same! I got mine order in right before the deadline and putting in a little picture in my fathers day card. I guess the installation timing for right before season will happen regardless of actual season situation.
Quite a jump in price from the 4x8 to 8x8 so id guess thats why many atleast in the past did the smaller ones.
I went with an 8x8, and hope to purchase another once I graduate. The price jump is understandable, as there are fewer 8x8 (border only I believe) than 4x8 (the course). The jump to 12x12 is huge, but this is understandable as I believe they immediately surround the statue itself.

Would also be interested to know, if and when the walk itself is eventually filled - would this program hopefully be continued onto the surrounding walks?

Has anyone received any updates about their brick orders (replicas mailed or that they installed the bricks on the walk)? Yes, i can ask RU as well. I know when i initially ordered it was mentioned the hope was end of August.

Sent an e-mail to a representative asking about installation timeline and received a response about a week ago saying they are delayed and hope to have them installed in the next few weeks.

Reactions: fischy5000
Has anyone received any updates about their brick orders (replicas mailed or that they installed the bricks on the walk)? Yes, i can ask RU as well. I know when i initially ordered it was mentioned the hope was end of August.

They are always installed the week before first game... So they have another month to get it done.. 🤣

Yes it is true and it's an embarrassment this has not been promoted greater and the spots filled up by now. I bought three each of the first three years offered and feel like there has been very little to promote the Scarlet Walk the last many years since.

Yes it is true and it's an embarrassment this has not been promoted greater and the spots filled up by now. I bought three each of the first three years offered and feel like there has been very little to promote the Scarlet Walk the last many years since.

You are SO totally right. I've begged and pleaded for this.... For a table at the Scarlet Walk, for info with the season tickets, for a few email blasts during the year.
Crickets

I’ve said this 1,000,000 times:

- Asking to buy a brick should be part of every sales call/donation call made and every email sent out by the athletic department. Period.

- And it should be asked as though it is expected someone is going to do it, not begging them to do it, aka “ASSUME THE SALE.”

Flat-out embarrassing that this wasn’t full a decade ago.

ADVERTISEMENT