ADVERTISEMENT

Classes still remote in Fall?

RutgersDom

All American
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2003
I mean it’s one thing to give the RU screw with the only NJ school not to have graduations (embarrassing) but then to mandate the vaccine to the students BUT I’m hearing about half the classes will still be remote in the fall??? With my daughter being a freshman this fall that enrages me. No excuse whatsoever if u have the vaccine mandate. She has her two shots and there is no reason she shouldn’t be in a classroom meeting other freshman. Who is the best person / people office to call to voice my displeasure ???/

Reactions: RUskoolie and SF88
I mean it’s one thing to give the RU screw with the only NJ school not to have graduations (embarrassing) but then to mandate the vaccine to the students BUT I’m hearing about half the classes will still be remote in the fall??? With my daughter being a freshman this fall that enrages me. No excuse whatsoever if u have the vaccine mandate. She has her two shots and there is no reason she shouldn’t be in a classroom meeting other freshman. Who is the best person / people office to call to voice my displeasure ???/

Doesn’t seem to be the case - though there will be some hybrid learning (which would have been an improvement over my freshman year where I stopped going to class by late September). Dorms at full capacity.

Virtual classes aren’t anything new. I graduated RU in 2012 and probably fully half of my classes were virtual senior year. It’s going to be an even higher percentage going forward

Thank you for your message. I appreciate your interest in having Rutgers campuses open fully this fall, and we are moving in the direction of a robust return, while taking care to protect the health and safety of our faculty, staff, and students. We will follow state and federal guidelines as we repopulate our campuses.

I am pasting below a message that our New Brunswick Provost sent to all students about classes this fall, more than 70 percent of which will have an in-person component.

This is the BS reply I got from Holloway. Francine Conway is the newly appointed chancellor, who was the provost. I emailed Christopher Molloy, the Chancellor with no reply. Antonio Calcado stated RU was waiting for state guidance regarding classroom occupancy limits. Their cop put was RU can't put 15-50-100-200 students in a classroom, with the NJ mandate of 6ft distance requirements. I mentioned that Murphy has already stated K-12 is fully in person with no virtual option. He is the COO and in charge of everything non-academic. This falls under academic.

There is no longer a safety component to be worrying about with a mandated student vaccine, covid numbers plummeting and the state fully opening. I believe Francine Conway is/was leaving the classroom decisions up to the school chancellors. BS ! We need leadership from the top and demand 100% full in-person education that we're paying for. All clubs, campus orgs, club teams etc should be back 100% as well.

Bottom line is Rutgers is not following the Federal or state or CDC guidelines and I'm not sure why. I'd love to have a definitive statement from our fearful leader on the science he is following.

It totally is the case. That BS 70% includes the 2 virtual lectures, but a 30 minute recitation. That's what they like to call an in-person component. BS !

My kid has 3 of 6 class remote and he had to take a different class just to get that. I have 7 girls who are my tenants. Collectively, they have 6 in-person classes. My buddy whose son was a remote freshman just texted me and asked why his sons classes in the fall are all remote???? WTF Every student is vaccinated. WTF is the issue. Why isn't every class in person?

Simply zero science to still be hiding under rocks. Every single RU employee, professor, etc should be on campus and back to work 100%

I teach at another B1G university, as some know, and we were hybrid all year. In person classes were split and rotated like gas rationing in the 70's, A and B groups. A Tuesday, with B watching the livestream/recording and vice versa on Thursday. As a professor, I also had online chat sessions. I will say that a majority of the students did not show up.

Talking to the students at the end of the year, most wanted to be in class but they wanted to be there as people were vaccinated.

I am just posting what I heard from the students. I am not sure if there will be a mandatory vaccination here, but I do not think most students would mind.

It totally is the case. That BS 70% includes the 2 virtual lectures, but a 30 minute recitation. That's what they like to call an in-person component. BS !

My kid has 3 of 6 class remote and he had to take a different class just to get that. I have 7 girls who are my tenants. Collectively, they have 6 in-person classes. My buddy whose son was a remote freshman just texted me and asked why his sons classes in the fall are all remote???? WTF Every student is vaccinated. WTF is the issue. Why isn't every class in person?

Simply zero science to still be hiding under rocks. Every single RU employee, professor, etc should be on campus and back to work 100%
I have not missed a day since we ended classes. I have not seen some colleagues in since either. One has a significant heart issue, so I do not fault him.

If Rutgers can't find a way to be 100% back to normal by the fall with the pricetag they are asking, I would make a strong suggestion that your kids do 2 years at community college and the final 2 years at RU. They'd have a fraction of the amount of debt with the same degree.

Nobody is a more glass half full guy than me, but we are going to lose good kids over this. Either they will not come here as freshmen or current students will transfer out. Mom, Dad, and the kid work too hard and take out loans that take years, if not decades, to pay back. They are spending that money to go to Rutgers, not the University of Southern New Hampshire.

I think you are guys are overestimating how much Gen Z wants anything to be in person. They were more online than us millennials long before COVID.

As long as dorms are in person, most of student life will be there. That's the big thing.

I think we ALL should anticipate less things being in person going forward. Personally I'm enjoying everything but my office being reopened lol.

If Rutgers can't find a way to be 100% back to normal by the fall with the pricetag they are asking, I would make a strong suggestion that your kids do 2 years at community college and the final 2 years at RU. They'd have a fraction of the amount of debt with the same degree.
Almost all universities have been moving some classes on-line well before the pandemic started. The students demanded this because many work during the day or travel or it is simply more convenient. The pandemic accelerated this. I doubt you can find any USA university now without online classes, but perhaps prospective students could consider other countries if they desire all classes to be in a physical classroom

One nephew in college and one in high school. Both say online classes vary between not being as good to being a total joke. The one in high school said grades have been inflated this year and the lazy and stupid kids now get grades above the old average. No matter how little you do, everyone gets at least a B. As the years go on, teachers are going to find kids learned little this year as they see the foundations for their courses were never learned during this year. Will happen with employers too. We will also see a difference between kids who spent all or most of the year in class and those that were never or rarely in class.

Last edited:
I work with students every day. They all agree the online classes are a joke. Not much being learned. Most have to teach themselves the math/science classes with little help or availability from professors. The students can take any classes pass/fail for 3 semesters now, so all the grades are inflated.

Steve, I hope there is still time to return all classes to normal for September.

why would you think that. the RU staff has another month off at home. Staff is supposed to return in July????" Why not have the staff here now, preparing everything for that "full and robust return to campus" we keep hearing about

This is the same as graduation. Every other school said we can do it. We're going to plan to make it happen. If the 5th Covid wave hits, we can pivot and cancel. All the signs were there. Vaccines rolling out, therapeutics available, numbers going down, but Rutgers stays in the basement and didn't even try. Where there's a will, there's a way. That's leadership. I am fearful the fall will be reduced busing, reduced classes, no social events permitted etc. meanwhile, there's 5,000 people in Bar A on Monday. I'm really not understanding the Rutgers issue with "taking care to protect the health and safety of our faculty staff and students" covid is over, everyone can get a vaccine if they choose. CDC said go back to normal. What is the science we are following?

I'm really not understanding the Rutgers issue with "taking care to protect the health and safety of our faculty staff and students" covid is over, everyone can get a vaccine if they choose. CDC said go back to normal. What is the science we are following?

I just saw an interesting video about the virus and the vaccine stress being applied to it.

This video about the vaccine is by Dr Chris Martenson – who was one of the first to call the pandemic. Martenson interviews virologist and vaccine devloper Dr Geert Vanden Bossche. Bossche explains that since the vaccines target millions of people who only slowly develop antibodies, there is a stress applied to the virus at a time when it has the ability to “puzzle-out” a response to the vaccines. Complicating this is that the vaccines target the spike protein and leave other virus elements out. Natural immunity developed to the virus is better than the vaccine since organic immune response is more robust and comprehensive . Bossche thinks we are going to find ourselves with a whole new virus pretty soon.

what...vietnam variant...no wait...delta variant. you can't set the bar at zero. you can't live your life in the basement. concerts, full sports events, full everything going on while numbers still drop. I got a shot even though I felt I didn't need one. I don't need the government telling me what to do. I don't need Rutgers telling me what's best for my kid. Repeat...MY KID, who's also an adult. Must be nice to be in government. Rutgers gets to raise tuition this year 2.6%, while only giving my kid 50% in person classes....while getting a 164 MILLION bailout from the bigger government.

The working man is the fool, Everyone on the gravy train.

I can not believe tuition is being raised right now. That really takes the cake. Hang in there Steve.

Remember gang @SF88 is an alum, Rutgers parent and local businessman who employs Rutgers students in his store.

This is a guy who knows what’s going on. And who bleeds scarlet. Just listen to the podcast.

We are getting close to a “Walter Cronkite” moment.

2.6% is normal. We can’t complain about inflation and then demand 0% tuition increases. Most university costs are fixed (even most of the labor due to union contracts). The only major potentially variable costs I can think of are utilities, food/dining hall labor (if dining halls are closed), and transit/transit labor (if classes are online and they aren’t locked into the contracts for buses already).

100% agree it’s a watered down product with purely online classes but there’s just not a ton they can do to cut costs.

I’d also back up other posters saying that a) it’s likely that any students mentioned won’t go to at least 1-3 of their classes regularly after a few weeks, and b) taking 1-3 online classes per semester was already pretty common pre-pandemic. So in most cases, I’d wager the full online schedule only impacts half of most students’ attendance at most. Probably less true for highly technical/harder majors.

Lastly, I personally wouldn’t recommend spending 2 years at community college vs. 4 years at Rutgers. Understand the cost savings and different opinions on that but having been on both sides of the table, constantly getting asked why I was at community college prior and dealing with missing out on jobs due to the potential stigma wouldn’t be worth it. It’s already tough enough competing for jobs/grad schools out of Rutgers against Ivy Leaguers, etc.
If it was truly a financial decison I would hope any potential employer (or graduate school) would not hold that against you.

And I would think you be judged more on what you did while you were AT Rutgers than before, no?

You would hope but it’s just not always the case in my experience.
Oh, I believe you. Just not right to hold it againt someone if it was the main reason.

One of my older Son's best friends is going thru this process now...mother died right before high school and his dad passed while he was in high school. Big financial (and emotional too) hit to the family as you can imagine.

Reactions: GORU2014
That's tough. It's a bummer that people do generalize about it still. I think a lot of it is probably due to 1 or 2 poor hiring experiences combined with the ease of screening people out that way through technology.

It will be interesting to see if it changes with more states (including NJ) pushing for 2 universal free years of community college. I'd have to imagine it would as the people with 1 or 2 negative hiring experiences start to get diluted by the people with positive experiences.
If I was my Son's friend and some HR person made a flippant comment about it, I know I wouldn't get the job because I'd probably come across the table at them. LOL

Oh, I believe you. Just not right to hold it againt someone if it was the main reason.

One of my older Son's best friends is going thru this process now...mother died right before high school and his dad passed while he was in high school. Big financial (and emotional too) hit to the family as you can imagine.

Grad school or employment? Feel free to PM if you want to share details.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT