ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Cliff Omoruyi Decision Time for tomorrow

Try this on for size...

Myles at the 5, Cliff at the 4. Not for long stretches, just to show it.

Good luck scoring down low on that!

While that lineup does sound like a nightmare to score on inside, I think I’d rather not have Cliff and Myles on the floor at the same time for the sake of keeping at least one of them out of foul trouble.

I wouldn't say underwhelming. It probably didn't match up with where we all want to be (competing for national championships), but he's brought in three 4-stars according to Rivals, with (hopefully) Cliff and Jones incoming. He's also developed Geo, Myles, and others outside of that.

Hopefully, this gets us into that next tier regularly, but we haven't been bad at recruiting, especially given where we were 4 years ago.

He started out kind of strong. However, it’s obvious that Doucoure was over-rated and Mathis has played more like a 3 star than 4. There is no doubt he has developed players, however.

What was getting people a little down was that we had one recruit last year (albeit a 4 star) and arguably the 12th-13th ranked incoming class in the B1G for next season. Tomorrow could change that big time. He also got Jones for 2021 so things could be looking way up around noon tomorrow.

Reactions: GORU2014
Things change. Before he got Jones and hopefully Omoruyi, his recruiting was underwhelming. These two could change things dramatically.

Sorry but this is just a bad and wrong take

We made our first tournament in 30 years with "underwhelming" recruiting

Maybe, just maybe, our coach has a better eye for talent than recruiting sites?

Yeah, I think I'll go with that

3 more analysts switched from ariz state to rutgers today. Now analysts have it as 90% for rutgers.

Reactions: FastMJ
I should be up by then! Thanks for the heads up :ThumbsUp

Crap! That's 3:00 AM Tuesday for me!! Set the alarm.
three-oclock-already-time-wake-260nw-307267193.jpg

Reactions: hiwater
He started out kind of strong. However, it’s obvious that Doucoure was over-rated and Mathis has played more like a 3 star than 4. There is no doubt he has developed players, however.

What was getting people a little down was that we had one recruit last year (albeit a 4 star) and arguably the 12th-13th ranked incoming class in the B1G for next season. Tomorrow could change that big time. He also got Jones for 2021 so things could be looking way up around noon tomorrow.
He is recruiting a team, not individual stars. And those same experts predicted us 12th.

I’m thrilled about having Jones on board. But there’s no way Jones as a freshman is replacing Montez Mathis in our “core”.

I didn’t see that anyone said Jalen Jones is replacing Montez in our core.

But Jones will be earning most of Geo’s minutes in our core as a freshman.

Last edited:
Things change. Before he got Jones and hopefully Omoruyi, his recruiting was underwhelming. These two could change things dramatically.

How can you say his recruiting was underwhelming, when he recruited the players that finished in 5th place in the B1G’s most competitive year? And when Pike recruited these players, we were stuck in last place, remember? How is all of that accomplished with underwhelming recruiting?

3 more analysts switched from ariz state to rutgers today. Now analysts have it as 90% for rutgers.
I’m laughing at all the people talking about this person and that person who had 90% prediction rates...these rates shouldn’t go by who they pick the last day, it should be a weighted average from crystal ball 1 to the end.

For example, if you crystal ball Cliff to ASU for 99 days and flip to Rutgers on decision day and he chooses Rutgers, you were 1% accurate, not 100%.

Reactions: wheezer
I’m laughing at all the people talking about this person and that person who had 90% prediction rates...these rates shouldn’t go by who they pick the last day, it should be a weighted average from crystal ball 1 to the end.

For example, if you crystal ball Cliff to ASU for 99 days and flip to Rutgers on decision day and he chooses Rutgers, you were 1% accurate, not 100%.
Things change in recruiting. When they do it is often during the last few days before a scheduled announcement like Montez Mathis.

Think about the football players who flip right before signing day.

Sometimes the info is solid for months and never changes.

But most recruitments are fluid and sudden changes happen.

Things change in recruiting. When they do it is often during the last few days before a scheduled announcement like Montez Mathis.

Think about the football players who flip right before signing day.

Sometimes the info is solid for months and never changes.

But most recruitments are fluid and sudden changes happen.
Ok, but it feels like whatever is causing people to flip the day before an announcement isn’t a prediction, it’s having real knowledge. Which may be the point.

But it devalues the prediction process 90 days+ out from a decision date. Seems pretty easy to follow the most connected person on something the day before a decision

Reactions: ILikePike
Ok, but it feels like whatever is causing people to flip the day before an announcement isn’t a prediction, it’s having real knowledge. Which may be the point.

But it devalues the prediction process 90 days+ out from a decision date. Seems pretty easy to follow the most connected person on something the day before a decision

You should just think of those predictions as an educated guess by people who follow these things fairly closely.

Is ESPN crappy at recruiting rankings? Big Cliff is ranked in the top 50 overall but RU is not even listed on his interest page.

Still need Duke. Need 3 bigs, and he gave us minutes when foul trouble was an issue. Stop talking $hit.
I agree and I hope Doucoure stays. However, since he is now 6-10 and 240 pounds, with good athleticism, Reiber could provide emergency minutes at the five spot.

That is what some people do.

Sometimes the most connected person will text guys he likes within 48 hours of an announcement and say something like "Joey Basketball is done to Tulsa" or "Despite what everyone believes, Montez Mathis is going to Rutgers."

The people who get that kind of message aren't supposed to make a pick off of that info?

Personally, I don't make a FutureCast pick unless I'm covering a recruitment.

If I covered a recruitment but stopped because the prospect eliminated the school I cover I might still be able to get info from the kid or his family just because I developed a good relationship with them, but I'm not contacting them weekly or even monthly. Sometimes in that case I'll check in with people who are still covering the recruitment or the kid's coaches and make a pick off of that info.

Sometimes, and this happens to me maybe 3 times per year, I'll get a text message from a HS/AAU coach or one of a kid's parents like this:

"Russ, Joey Basketball committed to UAB like 2mins ago. However can you hold on from posting it until 6:45pm? He is waiting for his edit to get completed."

(other than the kid's name that is literally a text message I got from a HS coach)

What am I supposed to do, not make a pick off of that rock solid info?

Thanks, I wasn't sure since he was already a senior for 2020.
Np. He doesn't have to sign a NLI, could choose to just sign the financial aid papers with Rutgers. If he chooses that route he might be able to sign those at anytime but I'm not 100 percent sure about that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT