ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff

Fastest guy Pike’s ever coached baseline to baseline. Can’t wait to see what’s next for him.

It is so much easier to play in the post when guys are making shots. You don’t have to work as hard, people actually have to defend the shooter, just overall confidence....

In a year or two we should hopefully be able to look back and see the significant progress he’s made. He’s got the body and ability for sure, it will come with time.

It’s not easy to step in and be a 5 in the BIG as a freshman.

Reactions: fg7321
He gets off the ground so fast, it is amazing. He needs to continue developing his hand strength to really squeeze the orange on rebounds. Definite upside galore.

Reactions: RUSCFORMERLYRULOU
Him missing 5 games and really no legit OOC schedule hampered his growth.

he’s showing flashes now for sure. Next year he’ll be very good. Can see a 3 and done scenario if he progresses anywhere like Myles.

right now pick and roll D is not great and has butter fingers. But the building blocks are there

Thus. I don’t understand posters who keep saying that Cliff needs to hit the weight room. Have you ever seen when they show close-ups of his arms? I’ve never seen a freshman big man here as muscular as he is.

Always been confused by that as well. He looks like a physical freak for a true freshman.

Yea maybe he use an extra 10-15 lbs and increase his lower body strength, but that will happen with time.

Biggest things for Cliff to improve on are his hands and positioning/footwork on defense.

Always been confused by that as well. He looks like a physical freak for a true freshman.

Yea maybe he use an extra 10-15 lbs and increase his lower body strength, but that will happen with time.

Biggest things for Cliff to improve on are his hands and positioning/footwork on defense.
Position and footwork on offense too. Using his body etc. he’s got tremendous potential imo.

Position and footwork on offense too. Using his body etc. he’s got tremendous potential imo.
His Footwork or adjusting/bringing his body to his hands is his biggest issue. He bends or reaches to the ball every time that he jumps. That's fine, but most guys instinctively pull their body and feet toward their hands so that they come down square. Cliff does not bring his body underneath his hands so he lands off balance. He has a hard time handling the ball when he's off balance and there is no contact. He is even worse when there is contact.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
long strides. not quicker but covers more ground. Usain Bolt is 6'5", fastest man on the planet, but quickness is a different thing. .

He may be muscular but he doesn’t yet have a B1G center’s body. Athletic freak for sure, but very obvious he needs to pound the squats and build the lower base so he doesn’t get pushed off of the spot moving forward.

Reactions: Kbee3 and KevH
How is he faster then young. I didn’t understand that comment.
I can’t imagine he is running the floor faster then young

Likely an exaggeration, but there's also difference between running at full stride and running while controlling a basketball. Young can probably go close to his full speed while dribbling. Omoruyi would have a very long stride at a full sprint without the ball. Would love to know what all of our players 40 yard dash time would be.

Reactions: superfan01
Needs to work on some post moves down low. He has tremendous ability and will be able to create scoring Opptys easily against a lot of people with a little down low game. Also think he needs to improve FTs as I expect him to get fouled a lot. I think he has good form so maybe just jitters.
Think he has so much potential and can’t wait to see some fast break lobs To him on the NCAAs when everyone see our full potential up close

Really needs to work on his hands. Needs to catch the lobs more often, and grab rebounds in traffic.

He’ll be a great lobs and blocks which is all we need him to be. Looked good out there when we pushed the tempo

Cliff also made a sweet 10-foot jumper earlier this year. Would love to see him get some PT at the 4 next year if Myles stays.
Cliff also made a sweet 10-foot jumper earlier this year. Would love to see him get some PT at the 4 next year if Myles stays.
Depends on matchups. I’d like to see that too but don’t want to do it just to do it.

Don't think so. No one beats Jacob Young.

Best of Luck,
Groz
That’s what Pike said. Baseline to baseline.

Barso saiid Young is the fastest guy with a ball in his hand on the whole Big Ten if not country. He later said that Pike said what I said above about Cliff. Maybe Bardo speak in absolutes but he said it.

One of the things I noticed about Myles and his shot making ability is he has the knack of blocking shots when he is behind the player. Almost seems like he lets guy go up for lay up and then blocks shot from behind. Havent seen cliff do that, or at least I don't remember him doing hat. If he learns how to block shots like that it will help keep his fouls down

Cliff and JY would probably be neck and neck in a foot race

Without the ball, distance would matter. Over 100m, I would think Omoruyi may beat him simply based on stride length. Over 20ft, Young would almost certainly be able to get to top speed faster with less mass to get moving.

Would be awesome if they could put a race up online once the season is over.

Reactions: RUTravesty
His Footwork or adjusting/bringing his body to his hands is his biggest issue. He bends or reaches to the ball every time that he jumps. That's fine, but most guys instinctively pull their body and feet toward their hands so that they come down square. Cliff does not bring his body underneath his hands so he lands off balance. He has a hard time handling the ball when he's off balance and there is no contact. He is even worse when there is contact.
great description that I had not thought of.

when Myles gets tired, his hands "outrun" his legs.. and he gets fouls.

I think that is Cliff's issue.. mot tiredness.. but not keeping his legs under him to make vertical leaps where he doesn't have to drift into players.... he has to get his feet UNDER where the ball will drop.. THEN jump... not jump toward the ball. But.. amazing athlete who will be a lot of fun to watch develop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT