ADVERTISEMENT

Cmon students -- ya gotta do better than this

Whats the real story then..the school admins are blocking what Hobbs wants to do for students..again?

I have no idea. My comment was specifically for @RU4Real because he & I were the ones who suggested to Julie that a FAB be started. She took the idea...ran with it...and neither one of us has ever been selected to be on the board.

Reactions: cicero grimes
What was the shooting last weekend? Was it related to RU students?

A student was shot. I kid I know personally. A group of non students were not allowed in an off campus party. The house is not a "lettered" frat house. Supposedly several guys in the same frat live there. After being denied admission, the other guys weren't happy. Allegedly pushed a girl into a bush. The guys living there intervened, as I hope most would if you saw a person bullying someone. Late night-shit talking starts and a guy pulls a gun. Allegedly, aimed at a guy who confronted him, but got bumped and shot hit another kid int he shoulder.

Now all frats are on social blackout?? not really a fraternity issue. Non student assholes on the street issue. There was an alleged sexual assault in Mettler, but we don't shut the dorm down. There was a stabbing in Mettler a year ago, but they didn't close Mettler down.

A student was shot. I kid I know personally. A group of non students were not allowed in an off campus party. The house is not a "lettered" frat house. Supposedly several guys in the same frat live there. After being denied admission, the other guys weren't happy. Allegedly pushed a girl into a bush. The guys living there intervened, as I hope most would if you saw a person bullying someone. Late night-shit talking starts and a guy pulls a gun. Allegedly, aimed at a guy who confronted him, but got bumped and shot hit another kid int he shoulder.

Now all frats are on social blackout?? not really a fraternity issue. Non student assholes on the street issue. There was an alleged sexual assault in Mettler, but we don't shut the dorm down. There was a stabbing in Mettler a year ago, but they didn't close Mettler down.

Definitely seems unfair to the frats. Very troubling that locals are bringing guns around in the 5th/6th wards. That is what the police should be focusing on, not the Alley or Blue lot.

I have no idea. My comment was specifically for @RU4Real because he & I were the ones who suggested to Julie that a FAB be started. She took the idea...ran with it...and neither one of us has ever been selected to be on the board.

@BlockR- yes 100%

and you see the results at the games. The student section sucks. No disrespect to the students there. They were loud and proud yesterday. However, on campus, going to the games is not a priority. My neighbors kid is at Notre Dame. I don't think she ever went to a high school game. She never misses a ND game. It's what they do there. At RU, they tailgate on College Ave or just don't go because " it's not a thing" The reality is for the past 5/6 years, the team hasn't been good. It's no fun watching 78-0. The kids enjoy a tailgate just like everyone here and in the Scarlet/Green/Yellow/blue/purple etc lots. See above posts-not about getting wasted, but the reality is 18-20year old kids, away from home, drink at college. Until we're winning consistently, the party trumps the game

If we're 5-1 and playing MSU and we have a decent shot at winning, the students will be therein force....because the game means something. However, the reality is that it's November and we have losing record. RU is missing the opportunity of creating fans though. Kids like my neighbor, who's not a football fan. Maybe she goes since she has a free ticket and everyone is going to Busch....for the tailgate. Maybe she goes in and see a great come back against Maryland. Maybe her friend gets passed up the crowd. Maybe she takes a cool selfie with the Knight. maybe she has fun and wants to come back for the next game........not happening right now

Last edited:
the fanbase was there....the empties are the casual NJ fan...they are not Rutgers fans...we have a small fanbase thats the sad truth

My high school age son wanted to get a bunch of friends together and go to a game. Once the 15-20 kids who were planning on going found out the cheapest ticket was $40-50, most bailed. They wanted to go over, have a tailgate and enjoy a nice autumn afternoon. Mom/dad weren't shelling out $50 for Amanda to go hang with friends. Until we have a season ticket base of 35-40,000 people, RU needs to have cheap seats. Let those kids buy $15 seats upstairs or end zone. The casual fan doesn't want to shell out $200+ to bring his wife and kids to a game. Awesome to do that, get turned away at the gate with you seat cushion, then watch a blowout...so, the casual fan doesn't come. Too many other entertainment options in NJ. Needs to be cheaper

Hobbs wants it-Ash wants it-the students want it. "The University" is afraid of it. That's it in a nutshell

No one is suggesting the University serve underage students. Get RUSA and RUPA involved. provide alternate beverage. provide food options. check student ID's. No kegs. No bottles. What's the worst that's happening, my daughter has a Poland Springs bottle that's not all water??? Will a handful of people abuse it...of course. Arrest them-ticket them. The guy tossing a full can of beer to his buddy 40 ft away...arrest him-ticket him. Manage it...police it. If 4 girls are standing and talking

with friends, holding red cups....there's no need to have an ID check. Have police standing by. Emergency services can standing by. Have the frats step up and provide tailgate monitors to quell small problems, before they grow

Students may not all be 21, but they are all adults. Treat them like the adults they are. Allow them an area to congregate/tailgate. remove the problem kids, but allow the others to have responsible fun. You're creating an unsafe situation...you're out. You're drunk/disorderly...you're out. Either of these happen and you're not allowed back in. It can work, it can be safe, it can be fun. No need for 3rd party vendors, no need for wristbands. The Alley....in a large area, with some extra controls and oversight can and should work. Can't bubble wrap these kids

Nailed it again. IMHO, as an integral part of the university - Scarlet Fever - you should sit on the advisory board with Mrs. Screw, Real, and others, and help get this done my friend!

is there an active fan advisory board as of today or not?
"I have no idea. My comment was specifically for @RU4Real because he & I were the ones who suggested to Julie that a FAB be started. She took the idea...ran with it...and neither one of us has ever been selected to be on the board."

"I have no idea. My comment was specifically for @RU4Real because he & I were the ones who suggested to Julie that a FAB be started. She took the idea...ran with it...and neither one of us has ever been selected to be on the board."

There is. I know that the B1G flags around the stadium came from the group. I am honestly not sure what else, if anything, has come out of it. The people on the board change every season, so there is no continuity other than RU athletics/marketing, which I think is a big mistake.

@mkollar was on it this season. I'll let him chime in. I know @RUJohnny99 was on it as well.

Frankly, Julie's iteration of the concept was NOT what @MrsScrew and I had in mind. Her implementation was basically an occasional gathering of a fairly large group of fans to solicit ideas for the sake of being able to say that they (the Athletic Department) were listening to the fans.

The concept as envisioned included a small group of season ticket holders who would be an integral part of the planning and execution of the game day experience.

Pat Hobbs has been a terrific addition to the University and Sarah has stepped into her new role quite nicely but there continues to be a number of things relative to game day that are still FUBAR.

Hobbs wants it-Ash wants it-the students want it. "The University" is afraid of it. That's it in a nutshell

No one is suggesting the University serve underage students. Get RUSA and RUPA involved. provide alternate beverage. provide food options. check student ID's. No kegs. No bottles. What's the worst that's happening, my daughter has a Poland Springs bottle that's not all water??? Will a handful of people abuse it...of course. Arrest them-ticket them. The guy tossing a full can of beer to his buddy 40 ft away...arrest him-ticket him. Manage it...police it. If 4 girls are standing and talking with friends, holding red cups....there's no need to have an ID check. Have police standing by. Emergency services can standing by. Have the frats step up and provide tailgate monitors to quell small problems, before they grow

Students may not all be 21, but they are all adults. Treat them like the adults they are. Allow them an area to congregate/tailgate. remove the problem kids, but allow the others to have responsible fun. You're creating an unsafe situation...you're out. You're drunk/disorderly...you're out. Either of these happen and you're not allowed back in. It can work, it can be safe, it can be fun. No need for 3rd party vendors, no need for wristbands. The Alley....in a large area, with some extra controls and oversight can and should work. Can't bubble wrap these kids
If I'm the Athletic Dept, I even push for FREE food at the Alley for all students with an ID.

Nailed it again. IMHO, as an integral part of the university - Scarlet Fever - you should sit on the advisory board with Mrs. Screw, Real, and others, and help get this done my friend!

I'd love to be on every advisory board. I have literally been at Rutgers for almost 35 years now, on the street and with the students every day. My kid is now a student too. I want the title of DCS and a gavel. Director of Common Sense. I will work for free, just need ultimate power across all departments.

My opinions have opinions and most wouldn't like to hear them since I'd be talking about them. However, athletics isn't the problem here, it's the other side of the river. The Alley came from athletics. Like I said prior, Hobbs, Sarah and Ash all want it. We have a unique problem at RU that most schools don't have. maryland, Penn State, Nebraska, MSU etc all have one big campus. kids can tailgate near their dorm, at their frat, in the Chemistry parking lot...wherever, and WALK TO THE GAME. Our campus set up doesn't allow for that. "The University" isn't acknowledging that and is too scared of liability to do anything about it. Athletics gets it.

I'm not gonna read through all the posts before responding. The administration brought this on by creating The Alley, shutting it down, promising a replacement, and not coming through with it yet. I know they've got 2 sites in mind, but that won't happen this year if it ever does. Meanwhile, the students have become ensconced on College Ave. for their tailgates, and they're not coming over to see the game.

Reactions: bac2therac
Played flag football this morning.
4 guys had RU stuff with them.
Sweatshirts, hats

The past 8 weeks I was the only guy to wear anything RU.

All it takes is some quality wins consistently and the fans will show up going forward.

Reactions: MrsScrew
Do we really have to remind the students on the importance of school spirit and support for their team? C'mon....c'mon.gie the tickets to people in the statext who will appreciate the game, the atmosphere and the environment. This really sucks if we're resorting to calling out the non supportive student body.

It is what it is. And the first person to come out and call me an ahole for it, welp, it must be the truth, or else you wouldn't be so defensive.

Do we really have to remind the students on the importance of school spirit and support for their team? C'mon....c'mon.gie the tickets to people in the statext who will appreciate the game, the atmosphere and the environment. This really sucks if we're resorting to calling out the non supportive student body.
Yes. The university should be responsible for encouraging students to have pride in all aspects of the school. It's not like that right now, for reference go back and read the mission statement for Rutgers Student Affairs posted in this thread.

The Fan Advisory Board has been in existence for several years now. Indeed as RU4Real noted, the implementation is far different from the concept. Much of the discussion this year was focused on specific ideas that are from within Athletics and whether or not the fans on the board approve.

At present, I have a 9-page list of ideas that fans have either suggested here or on other sites or during tailgates. Every opportunity I have, I will submit this list to Athletics - 8 times so far - and make it clear they must step up their game significantly from thinking inside their box to comprehending what fans are looking for. To date, that conceptualization of how the world needs to work remains foreign.

These ideas have included:
  • better alumni contact and development nationwide to include the regional clubs hosting game watch parties with alumni and newly admitted students and their parents from that state, (more an RUAA and Foundation topic)
  • better signage and information services for tailgaters and guests,
  • on-site storage options for season ticket holders,
  • better licensing of the Block R across manufacturers (@SF88 just started laughing like I told a dirty joke),
  • cleaning up the pre- and post-game pedestrian traffic flow around the lots and stadium,
  • allow season ticket holders to maintain their tickets on the game day app similar to the DD app for check-in,
  • reopening the Alley with a simple access for students using wrist bands with a max of 3 tear-offs and the understanding that students can only obtain one beer per hour and the tear-off will be done by staff at the bars,
  • clean up and reformat the entire concession system at the stadium,
  • pre-game flyovers on the game nearest to 9/11 and Veterans Day by one of the following Wings:
    87th Air Base Wing,
    108th New Jersey Air National Guard Wing,
    305th Air Mobility Wing,
    514th Air Mobility Wing.
To date, I have heard deafening silence.

There are lots of reasons the University - not Athletics - refuses to take the actions needed. I'm not a liberty to state those reasons, but I can say the single biggest word is "fear".

On the mention above of bringing a group to the game(s), RU used to run promotions where youth groups of any type could get in at highly discounted prices. I can't believe they don't do this anymore. (I'm assuming they don't, because I never hear it promoted.)

The Fan Advisory Board has been in existence for several years now. Indeed as RU4Real noted, the implementation is far different from the concept. Much of the discussion this year was focused on specific ideas that are from within Athletics and whether or not the fans on the board approve.

At present, I have a 9-page list of ideas that fans have either suggested here or on other sites or during tailgates. Every opportunity I have, I will submit this list to Athletics - 8 times so far - and make it clear they must step up their game significantly from thinking inside their box to comprehending what fans are looking for. To date, that conceptualization of how the world needs to work remains foreign.

These ideas have included:
  • better alumni contact and development nationwide to include the regional clubs hosting game watch parties with alumni and newly admitted students and their parents from that state, (more an RUAA and Foundation topic)
  • better signage and information services for tailgaters and guests,
  • on-site storage options for season ticket holders,
  • better licensing of the Block R across manufacturers (@SF88 just started laughing like I told a dirty joke),
  • cleaning up the pre- and post-game pedestrian traffic flow around the lots and stadium,
  • allow season ticket holders to maintain their tickets on the game day app similar to the DD app for check-in,
  • reopening the Alley with a simple access for students using wrist bands with a max of 3 tear-offs and the understanding that students can only obtain one beer per hour and the tear-off will be done by staff at the bars,
  • clean up and reformat the entire concession system at the stadium,
  • pre-game flyovers on the game nearest to 9/11 and Veterans Day by one of the following Wings:
    87th Air Base Wing,
    108th New Jersey Air National Guard Wing,
    305th Air Mobility Wing,
    514th Air Mobility Wing.
To date, I have heard deafening silence.

There are lots of reasons the University - not Athletics - refuses to take the actions needed. I'm not a liberty to state those reasons, but I can say the single biggest word is "fear".

thank you for this...can you elaborate any more on this fear

Let the kids tailgate. My area if the blue lot is pretty damn rowdy, although less so this year. Whatever nonsense happened w the students needs to be fixed. Glad Hobbs is working with them to figure something out. I can't fault the kids when they cant tailgate. Still have decent showings. Need to address this issue.

Fix student attendance by creating assigned seats and a chance to win free tuition for a semester. That will get butts in the seats, and the parents will make sure of it

My Hamsterdam concept has been closely reviewed on multiple occasions by Pat and his team, as @MrsScrew can attest. It's not that they're unwilling. It's that they simply haven't yet found a way to navigate the legal issues. When they figure it out, it will get implemented. Simple as that.

Unless Rutgers officials find a way to make it legal to drink at 18 years of age your idea won't work and is destined for failure and national embarrassment.

As Bac said the best solution is to have the tailgates disbursed throughout a lot (or lots). Having one giant area designated for students and sponsored by the school in today's social media and lawsuit happy day and age is a kiss of death to Hobbs career once something bad happens and is caught on film.

Reactions: bigbirdRU
Unless Rutgers officials find a way to make it legal to drink at 18 years of age your idea won't work and is destined for failure and national embarrassment.

As Bac said the best solution is to have the tailgates disbursed throughout a lot (or lots). Having one giant area designated for students and sponsored by the school in today's social media and lawsuit happy day and age is a kiss of death to Hobbs career once something bad happens and is caught on film.

The idea of Hamsterdam wasn't to set up an area of sponsored debauchery. Quite the opposite. As I've fully explained to the appropriate people on more than one occasion.

The idea of Hamsterdam wasn't to set up an area of sponsored debauchery. Quite the opposite. As I've fully explained to the appropriate people on more than one occasion.

Where did I use the term debauchery? Or anything close to it.

It's 2017. It only takes one ahole, incident or accident.

Where did I use the term debauchery? Or anything close to it.

It's 2017. It only takes one ahole, incident or accident.

You're right.

But that one ahole, incident or accident can happen anywhere at anytime. The only way to prevent it is to not allow students to come to the games, period.

I believe that if the school were to set up a sort of "gameday carnival" for students and involve all of the major groups on campus in the orchestration and execution it would create a baseline identity that would resonate with the students, give them a sense of ownership, and inspire them to be reasonably well behaved.

At the same time, you're able to concentrate enforcement - so you can do it with a smaller police presence. If you reduce repression you reduce rebellion. Have faculty and administrators involved, walking around, interacting with the groups. Help build a sense of community.

I maintain that, properly done, it's a very executable concept.

You're right.

But that one ahole, incident or accident can happen anywhere at anytime. The only way to prevent it is to not allow students to come to the games, period.

I believe that if the school were to set up a sort of "gameday carnival" for students and involve all of the major groups on campus in the orchestration and execution it would create a baseline identity that would resonate with the students, give them a sense of ownership, and inspire them to be reasonably well behaved.

At the same time, you're able to concentrate enforcement - so you can do it with a smaller police presence. If you reduce repression you reduce rebellion. Have faculty and administrators involved, walking around, interacting with the groups. Help build a sense of community.

I maintain that, properly done, it's a very executable concept.

It can happen anywhere anytime, but when it's "school sponsored" its a whole different ball game.

I'll curious to see what Hobbs and the AD are working on but I'm scared that he's so involved and worry he's putting his job on the line.

That's my take.

Reactions: bigbirdRU
I cannot say much because of what my wife's position is at RU and cannot break that trust.

As some of you know I worked with Geoff and the athletic department to help usher in the Alley. Of course it was a smash and then all hell broke loose. I can say it had nothing to do with Pat. There are some powerful people at RU that will try and do shut down anything when it comes to drinking on campus. They don't care what other schools do or don't do, they don't care that it hurts attendance at games. Most of these people don't care about athletics at all.

But I also need to say the students have to carry some of the blame. Being slobs and littering meanwhile there are garbage cans all over the place, getting stupid drunk with no intention of ever going into the game are some their faults.

The police issue is an ongoing issue and Pat and crew are doing the best they can with that but it has been a few years with this issue and still no relief and the students just say screw it and don't show up.

I go to a few SEC games a year and never see the police action I see at RU games. They have drunk students and stupid students just like us but for some reason it is tolerated there. If you go to Penn State is week and you will see what is tolerated there.

I do know for a fact that we are losing young alums that will never come back. My son and his crew tailgate with me and my old fart friends. They do not miss a game and one reason is that they were not hassled when they were students. My daughter on the other hand never missed a game her freshman and sophomore year and then the crack down started to happen and they gave up and stayed on campus. She was at legal drinking age and was so fed up getting ID'd every 10 minutes she and her friends just stopped coming and I don't see her coming back more than 1 game a year.

I do think we will see more students once we are winning more but RU does not make it easy.

It can happen anywhere anytime, but when it's "school sponsored" its a whole different ball game.

I'll curious to see what Hobbs and the AD are working on but I'm scared that he's so involved and worry he's putting his job on the line.

That's my take.

The obvious (and actual, fwiw) sticking point is 100% the question of enforcement. No doubt about it.

But it's not an insurmountable problem. Baylor is just one of the schools that has a designated student tailgate area. The web page for that is here. What's interesting is that they don't address the subject of alcohol. It leads me to suspect that they simply police the area with (doubtless) some relaxed level of enforcement.

The obvious (and actual, fwiw) sticking point is 100% the question of enforcement. No doubt about it.

But it's not an insurmountable problem. Baylor is just one of the schools that has a designated student tailgate area. The web page for that is here. What's interesting is that they don't address the subject of alcohol. It leads me to suspect that they simply police the area with (doubtless) some relaxed level of enforcement.

From the webpage:
  • The Student Organization Tailgate Area is an alcohol, smoke, and tobacco free environment.

From the webpage:
  • The Student Organization Tailgate Area is an alcohol, smoke, and tobacco free environment.

Thanks, I missed that.

So that's interesting. Miami also has a formal student tailgate area outside Hard Rock Stadium where alcohol is prohibited.

I guess it should make you wonder if normal student behavior, nationwide, is consistent with the philosophy that if you can't get hammered you can't go to the game.

The other thing is that it makes sense for the schools to have a "no alcohol" policy but to also have a relaxed enforcement policy. Thereby, to @S_Janowski's point, any incident can be accompanied by a statement from the school that alcohol is strictly forbidden. And, to paraphrase Animal House, it's a shame that a few bad apples have to spoil things for everyone.

No one is suggesting the University serve underage students. Get RUSA and RUPA involved. provide alternate beverage. provide food options. check student ID's. No kegs. No bottles. What's the worst that's happening, my daughter has a Poland Springs bottle that's not all water??? Will a handful of people abuse it...of course. Arrest them-ticket them. The guy tossing a full can of beer to his buddy 40 ft away...arrest him-ticket him. Manage it...police it. If 4 girls are standing and talking with friends, holding red cups....there's no need to have an ID check. Have police standing by. Emergency services can standing by. Have the frats step up and provide tailgate monitors to quell small problems, before they grow

If I'm the Athletic Dept, I even push for FREE food at the Alley for all students with an ID.
The Riot Squad gets local businesses to sponsor their tailgates for non-football events. I'm sure that it can be done before football games on a larger scale for a small fee.

Anything school organized or sponsored is definitely too scary for our admins unless it serves apple juice and fruit snacks. So you can either have a safe place students don't go to or a fun place that the admins won't ever accept.

I know it's been discussed but why again do frats no longer get passes in the blue lot?

An Ohio state acquaintance mentioned that the police presence is insane here. Police should never be harassing people minding their business. They absolutely should be available if needed for the occasional rowdy person. But only for that

yesterday in the stadium they had guys who were spotters going around the stadium confiscating beer cans and flasks...loaded up in my section

Anything school organized or sponsored is definitely too scary for our admins unless it serves apple juice and fruit snacks. So you can either have a safe place students don't go to or a fun place that the admins won't ever accept.

I know it's been discussed but why again do frats no longer get passes in the blue lot?

An Ohio state acquaintance mentioned that the police presence is insane here. Police should never be harassing people minding their business. They absolutely should be available if needed for the occasional rowdy person. But only for that
The police state at work... what's funny is that for all the bad rap cali gets for being a libtard state at least the cops don't harass you at sporting events or speeding. The amount of police on municipal roads in NJ vs .CA is insane.

The police state at work... what's funny is that for all the bad rap cali gets for being a libtard state at least the cops don't harass you at sporting events or speeding. The amount of police on municipal roads in NJ vs .CA is insane.

The police here are big part of the issue. The NBPD and Middlesex Sheriff among others view themselves as revenue generators rather than protectors of the citizenry.

I graduated 2007 and it looks like the cops now like then were more interested in 20 year olds with red cups than shootings and stabbings a few miles away.

The culture of impunity relative to the police in NJ is the problem.

This has been discussed and fought over in numerous threads since then, but, in short, in 2014 during our first Big Ten season, the fraternity parties in the Blue Lot got way, way out of bounds. To the point that they overran neighboring tailgates causing major problems. Let's face it, if you have a spot or 2 in the lot, you can not squeeze in 100 people or more.
Another item that has been heavily discussed, and the problem is due to bringing in other policing outfits (non-RU) that do not have the school's best interests at heart.
yesterday in the stadium they had guys who were spotters going around the stadium confiscating beer cans and flasks...loaded up in my section
Geeze, that is so lame that they go to this extent.

Don't even get me started. I got harassed by an orange-jacket who told the guys in front of us to get off the bleachers (mind you they're in the 10th row, in front of the railing, with nobody behind them...) when we were on D early in the 4th quarter. I asked him - nicely but maybe a tad sarcastically - "why" and he came running up the stairs at me and was threatening to have me thrown out LOL!

Not a fan of the "new" security force in any way, shape, or form.

ADVERTISEMENT