ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Ash Chops Frank Burns Award, 2 Others

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...tball-rid-frank-burns-spring-awards/82456926/

Gannett New Jersey has learned that Rutgers does not intend to hand out the Frank R. Burns Award for mental and physical toughness during spring football, nor the Douglas A. Smith and Mark Mills Second Effort Awards for the defensive and offensive players, respectively, who have shown the most improvement in the spring.

Article says Coach Ash has chopped the chop and F.A.M.I.L.Y. too.

And when Ash leaves for whatever reason the new coach will come in and "reconnect" to the past by adding back certain things. This is the circle of life in college football coaching

Meanwhile, in much of New jersey, "The Hunt" means this...

large_FarHillsScenicOverview.jpg

Yikes! Another odd move. Slap in the face to Coach Burns. Our Woody Hayes (In a good way not end of career way)should be respected. Gonna get some pop corn and watch the attempts to justify this.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjjenn
I will keep chopping. I do not mind cleaning house, but cleaning out Chopping? I liked the gesture of one hand chopping down on the palm of the other hand. I liked when players did it. . Not the end of the world but there was some good things at Rutgers before Ash got here, lets not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Reactions: ruready07
Meanwhile, in much of New jersey, "The Hunt" means this...

large_FarHillsScenicOverview.jpg

THIS!!! a million times THIS!! It's all I can think of every time I see that hashtag.

I'm not sure how I feel about eliminating the awards....I get eliminating the new "traditions" like FAMILY and the chop but getting rid of the Frank Burns award? that might be taking the clean house thing a bit too far. What's next? Getting rid of the first game statue??

Last edited:
Reactions: Sir ScarletKnight
Perhaps Ash doesn't want to present these awards in the spring but will still honor the namesakes of the awards to players at the end of the year.

I think it is a bad move but nobody will care if he wins. Some will say that we need to blow the past up and if it works fine. But if winning doesn't happen and I mean if W/L's and recruiting you will see the wind change quickly.

Reactions: JQRU91
Yikes! Another odd move. Slap in the face to Coach Burns. Our Woody Hayes (In a good way not end of career way)should be respected. Gonna get some pop corn and watch the attempts to justify this.

Just so I understand this, is it a slap in the face to respect "our Woody Hayes" by only assigning a lowly award such as "Mental & Physical Toughness in Spring Camp" or is it a slap in the face to remove this award?

Reactions: superfan01
Since 99.9999999% of fans probably never knew these Spring awards even existed, not sure how much of a "dishonor" this is. How much of an honor is it to name a Spring practice award after someone in the first place? We're talkin' about Spring practice, man. Not a game, not a game, not a Fall practice. Spring practice.

Good riddance to Chop and F.A.M.I.L.Y.

Last edited:
Bad job by Ash. No reason what so ever to dishonor Frank Burns. Terrible decision.
Agree. Also, on a personal level, I hate the fact there will no longer be a recipient of the Mark Mills Second Effort Award. Mills was a 1982 Piscataway High School grad, as was I. He was a beloved classmate. He was respectful and understanding to all. I never heard anyone say a bad word about him. His untimely death still sends a shiver down my spine.

http://www.upi.com/Archives/1983/05...k-Mills-who-collapsed-during-a/1735421560000/

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/05/13/sports/rutgers-fullback-dies-in-hospital.html

Last edited:
Just so I understand this, is it a slap in the face to respect "our Woody Hayes" by only assigning a lowly award such as "Mental & Physical Toughness in Spring Camp" or is it a slap in the face to remove this award?

Just so we understand how long have we been honoring and giving the Frank Burns award? Why dishonor by discontinuing? Trying to understand.

I don't think he was trying to dishonor Frank Burns.

That is just a crazy knee jerk reaction.

Everyone loves Burns. I am sure someone will bring it up during a press conference and he will give a answer. If that answer sucks, I will be happy to call him out on that.

Reactions: SanFranRutgers
meaningless awards do not build toughness. We are not a pop warner team, we are suppose to be a Big Ten team.

It is clear that Ash values building toughness and team not inflating egos.

I guess you should just eliminate all traditions so we can emulate the NFL. Alabama is working on their elephant themed uniforms as we speak.

I guess you should just eliminate all traditions so we can emulate the NFL. Alabama is working on their elephant themed uniforms as we speak.

what? I never said that. That is one hell of a jump you are making. Yikes!

These "traditions" are not old. Chop and Family didn't exist before the 2000's. The awards didn't exist before the 1990's.

what? I never said that. That is one hell of a jump you are making. Yikes!

These "traditions" are not old. Chop and Family didn't exist before the 2000's. The awards didn't exist before the 1990's.

Chop and Family I think are pretty corny, but I thought the spring awards were a good way to recognize the hard work of the players, would like to see them stay. I think anyone working that hard would like some recognition, that's all.

Chop and Family I think are pretty corny, but I thought the spring awards were a good way to recognize the hard work of the players, would like to see them stay. I think anyone working that hard would like some recognition, that's all.

They will still be recognized just in a different way. See the Knighted Thread.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Chop and Family I think are pretty corny, but I thought the spring awards were a good way to recognize the hard work of the players, would like to see them stay. I think anyone working that hard would like some recognition, that's all.[/QUOTE]

He does just that with the black tape being removed and being "knighted" and he is not putting one knighted player over other knighted player with such individual awards. I would imagine that might have been an issue with all the 5* players at osu. HE is a frack'in rookie HC if this is his worst faux pa, let it ride.
You could say it is team building not individuals building.

Reactions: Rokodesh
family means very little if players are stealing. Whatever ash creates, it is a must that it is followed through.

Chop?No defensive pressure. Family?Family does not steal from others.Well, actually, I stole my brothers pizza all the time.

Perhaps Ash doesn't want to present these awards in the spring but will still honor the namesakes of the awards to players at the end of the year.

That would be appropriate. I have no problem with Ash eliminating the Burns award as a fairly meaningless award in the spring game. But by eliminating this honor for Burns, it should be replaced with some more meaningful honor for Burns.

It would be the elimination of the existing honor for Burns without a replacement honor that would be problematic.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
It's all well and good that Ash has his own way of doing things, but it's wrong to come in and blow up all of the traditions at a school that started it all. IMO it's disrespectful and short-sighted. And yes, more than .000000000001% of RU fans know about these awards.
That would be a fair point if these "traditions" had been started at the beginning. But "chop" and F.A.M.I.L.Y. were within the last dozen years or so.

Didn't the chop get Eric foster a huge penalty in an early season game in 2007 ? Basically it ended the season before it started

Agree. Also, on a personal level, I hate the fact there will no longer be a recipient of the Mark Mills Second Effort Award. Mills was a 1982 Piscataway High School grad, as was I. He was a beloved classmate. He was respectful and understanding to all. I never heard anyone say a bad word about him. His untimely death still sends a shiver down my spine.

http://www.upi.com/Archives/1983/05...k-Mills-who-collapsed-during-a/1735421560000/

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/05/13/sports/rutgers-fullback-dies-in-hospital.html
It sounds like classmates & friends should get together & endow a scholarship in his name. His dedication & inspiration deserve more than a spring football participation trophy.

I am 100% behind Ash.

Clean up this mess. If over time, the players warrant a trophy bring it back. To give a trophy at each stop along the way, because "THAT IS WHAT WE DID IN THE PAST," is foolish.

Who's been a room and said, or heard, "Its that time a year, we have to give it to someone." ???????????? It nonsense. Every year someone is the most improved? There is a "unsung hero," each and every year? Give me a break.

Get it done boys. Bring some respectability back to this program and little fear in the opponents.

-8d45ea6ab4fd0cb4.JPG

ADVERTISEMENT