ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Ash's first big test

RutgersB1G

Freshman
Sep 10, 2016
I think we'll find out what Ash is all about in the very near future. After the next 2 blowout losses, Rutgers will be 2-4 and on a 3-game Big Ten conference losing streak. Can he convince the players to keep believing in his system (and themselves) before a 3-game stretch against Illinois, Minnesota, and Indiana that will define the 2016 season? I certainly hope so.

I hope the players have more fight than you assuming the next two games are automatic blowouts. I'm not writing these games off as just quite that yet - I want to see this team come out and be competitive.

I think we'll find out what Ash is all about in the very near future. After the next 2 blowout losses, Rutgers will be 2-4 and on a 3-game Big Ten conference losing streak. Can he convince the players to keep believing in his system (and themselves) before a 3-game stretch against Illinois, Minnesota, and Indiana that will define the 2016 season? I certainly hope so.
I think Ash's greatest challenge will be responding to the 2019 NJ.com article on our extravagant Rose Bowl travel expenses.

But yeah, next five games, that too.

The first big test was preparing the team for the start of the season ( 1st 4 games). I would say that overall (just not game performance) the coaching staff would be rated a B-. The next test is being as competitive as possible over the next two games. The team needs to fight through adversity, which we haven't done much of over the last few years. I am looking forward to see how this team responds. I hope to see a lot of fight in them.

Reactions: JerseyVegas
Michigan is not explosive enough to be an automatic blowout here in Piscataway and if we had decent QB play (similar to Colorado showed at Michigan), we would be in that game for at least a half if not more....they are good, but there are 15 other ranked teams that have more offensive firepower that I would not want to play.

Question is where RU goes to get points on offense against a stingy at times Michigan defense...and without Grant for explosive plays on special teams, RU is looking at a tough road, but I'd be disappointed if Michigan rolled up 49+ points on RU in our building....Ohio State appears to be 2TD's better than Michigan on a neutral field, what we may see Saturday in Columbus has nothing to do with Michigan....they are vastly different programs IMO....

Reactions: TheodoreGinnJr
Michigan has score at least 45 points in every game thus far. They blew out everyone they faced.

Agree that Michigan isn't really explosive. The problem is their D is so good. 3 and out after 3 and out is a recipe to get blown out.

Here we go with the "tests" again. This entire season is a test. I'm not gauging him based on any 1 game, or group of games, for a slew of reasons (most of which are glaringly obvious). Just get through this season giving the program, administration, and fan base, HOPE for the future. Show us you can coach up (appears to be happening...), make necessary adjustments in-game (we've seen it), make depth chart changes during the week and game (we've seen it), put a team on the field that never stops fighting (we've seen it...let's hope it stays that way...), and keep out of trouble off the field (so far, so good...). That's all I've ever cared about, for this season, from the day Ash was hired. If we got anything above that from him and his staff, this year, it would be a minor miracle.

Reactions: jlariv9
With no Grant, and w our QB situation, our offense is going to have a lot of 3 and outs, and our D will slowly lose more players to injury. I hope I am very wrong.

Win-Loss this year has got nothing to do with any meaningful test. That comes in season three. The first test is letter of intent signing date and then we'll see from there.

Try harder on your 149th post

Win-Loss this year has got nothing to do with any meaningful test. That comes in season three. The first test is letter of intent signing date and then we'll see from there.
Sprinkle in the loss of Grant this early, that might cost us a win or 2 this year.

Is the OP a Penn State troll?
Re-read my post and please explain why anything I wrote resembles a Penn State troll's post. Are you mad because I said we'd lose to Ohio State and Michigan? I don't think there's a single person in the country, outside of maybe rutgersal, who thinks we have a chance in either game, especially without Grant.

ADVERTISEMENT