ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Goodale on Flo

Aug 14, 2010

Good interview- for those that don't have Flo account, here is the cliff notes about the early lineup projections

125-Shawver and Peterson to battle it out
133-Said Olivieri looks to redshirt and then move up-Battle between Heilmann and Silva
141-Alvarez-really high praise from Coach...said it was very tuff, plan was for him to go 141 but then Seabass transferred in and it was very hard for him to make 133.
149-White
157-Clark and Kannaird to battle it out
165-O'Neill
174-Turley
184-Poz and Soldano-I got the impression that Poz will redshirt and Soldano will go. He said neither one is a 197lber and neither will cut to 174. Will have to wrestle one, redshirt the other then do the same the next year.
197-He really did not touch on this weight, he mentioned Janzer coming back from injury but did not really say what weight. My opinion if Janzer big enough he goes 197, unless Casale is better, than PJ will go 197. Coach did not touch on Casale
Hwt-Said McDermett and also have Esposito back. Did not mention Hamilton.

Coaching hire-said have some follow up interviews, ideally would like a upperweight coach, but not locked in on that and also said we could hire from within the staff from guys that have been loyal to the program

Is raimo still on the team ?
Raimo still listed on roster I don’t see Indiana transfer Garcia anymore though … I liked hearing Olivieri plans to go 141 after RS. Clears up a bit of the 33 logjam.. hopefully Alvarez can go 149/157 year after… I don’t remember this much depth before. Going to be some intense roster battles

Ashnault leaving is a big loss to the program from both a recruiting and coaching standpoint. Last year his coaching really helped our young guys. Recruits may wonder why he felt that he needed to go elsewhere to improve.

Does anyone know the real story?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Depends where he ends up. If he goes out West where the weather is nicer then so be it but if it’s somewhere like Penn, Lehigh, Princeton, or NY that’s a big problem.

Depends where he ends up. If he goes out West where the weather is nicer then so be it but if it’s somewhere like Penn, Lehigh, Princeton, or NY that’s a big problem.
Oh, yes, the weather. "but if it’s somewhere like Penn, Lehigh, Princeton, or NY that’s a big problem" How? What would that mean to you?

That’s a surprise. He certainly looked into it during the matches. I can accept that reason. But why not stay and train with Buxton. Look at the success Rivers has had training with Buxton.

He did not like coaching
Interesting. What didn't he like about it? He seemed to enjoy it and coaching the younger kids at many different places. Was it that he didn't like college coaching? Is he more interested in the promotion and event production side with his Mobbin Media company?

Ok. Here it is from him. He liked coaching but it took him away from what he still wants to do which is compete on the senior level. He told me he loves RU and hopes to be back coaching again but he wants to pursue senior level competition. He will train at NYRTC to just get a change of scenery. All good on the RU home front and I hope Anthony wins a world title!

Ok. Here it is from him. He liked coaching but it took him away from what he still wants to do which is compete on the senior level. He told me he loves RU and hopes to be back coaching again but he wants to pursue senior level competition. He will train at NYRTC to just get a change of scenery. All good on the RU home front and I hope Anthony wins a world title!
NYRTC (Spartan RTC) at Cornell, or NYCRTC at Edge Hoboken and Columbia?

Anthony has too much class to say anything negative. Seems like he is going to the NYCRTC. Hope that SCNJ is wrong and it isn’t a big problem.

Change of scenery VW means just that in that he wants to go and train to be the best and not have the same environment where he was coaching and I assume he means NYC

Just coming from someone who kind of knows Something about the program. Anthony brought so much to this team. He's never gonna leave us for good. He may want to get pushed by better competition, and change up the scenery a little bit. Hes entitled to it. At the end of the day hes a scarlet knight,till the end like all of us are, and that will never change.

He may want to get pushed by better competition
And that could be used against Rutgers. I know it's not his intention, but coaches will use anything they can to gain an upper hand in recruiting. It's a simple pitch of, look the best Rutgers ever had didn't even stick with them in order to get better training partners. We can provide them all 4 to 5 yrs. you're here and when you move on to Olympic training.

Reactions: Leonard23
They can always find something to recruit against us but we want to respect Anthony’s wishes to get a change and not be distracted by the kids he coached and let him concentrate on pure wrestling to see how far he can go. When he is finished wrestling he can devote his focus on coaching

And that could be used against Rutgers. I know it's not his intention, but coaches will use anything they can to gain an upper hand in recruiting. It's a simple pitch of, look the best Rutgers ever had didn't even stick with them in order to get better training partners. We can provide them all 4 to 5 yrs. you're here and when you move on to Olympic training.
Kids are chasing NIL. Recruiting is a different animal now. It's not about who's coaching you or who's my partner going to be. First thing from the kid and parents mouth how much NIL do you have for me.

Ohio State has the number 1 recruiting class. NIL got them that class. Iowa got Woods and Chittum because of NIL.

High school QB's are getting millions before completing a pass. NIL is the new recruiter

Kids are chasing NIL. Recruiting is a different animal now. It's not about who's coaching you or who's my partner going to be. First thing from the kid and parents mouth how much NIL do you have for me.

Ohio State has the number 1 recruiting class. NIL got them that class. Iowa got Woods and Chittum because of NIL.

High school QB's are getting millions before completing a pass. NIL is the new recruiter
How much NIL did tOSU fans pay? That's not what got them Bouzakis though.

It is a myth that the 3 Ohio State stud recruits got a lot of NIL money. Bouzakis had a family tragedy similar to Coach Ryan. Feldman’s desire for the marines related to the culture at Ohio State. They are planning to use most of their NIL dollars to retain kids and not for recruiting purposes. It is the same strategy that Schiano advocates.

Reactions: Leonard23

Well then maybe we should start up an NIL collective and I can switch to giving to that instead of the SKWC. I would love to do both, but I do have a retirement to think about. I would someday really enjoy trying that out. Was hoping at that point I could divert any spare time to the SKWC. It would be a great excuse to get away from the wife and the honey to do lists.

Well then maybe we should start up an NIL collective and I can switch to giving to that instead of the SKWC. I would love to do both, but I do have a retirement to think about. I would someday really enjoy trying that out. Was hoping at that point I could divert any spare time to the SKWC. It would be a great excuse to get away from the wife and the honey to do lists.
When you retire, your honey to do list will be LONGER!!!!

Well then maybe we should start up an NIL collective and I can switch to giving to that instead of the SKWC. I would love to do both, but I do have a retirement to think about. I would someday really enjoy trying that out. Was hoping at that point I could divert any spare time to the SKWC. It would be a great excuse to get away from the wife and the honey to do lists
There is a group called Knights of the Raritan that has been set up for this purpose. You can choose the sport (or sports) that your contribution will support through the NIL program.

Knights of the Raritan https://knightsoftheraritan.com/.

Good interview- for those that don't have Flo account, here is the cliff notes about the early lineup projections

125-Shawver and Peterson to battle it out
133-Said Olivieri looks to redshirt and then move up-Battle between Heilmann and Silva
141-Alvarez-really high praise from Coach...said it was very tuff, plan was for him to go 141 but then Seabass transferred in and it was very hard for him to make 133.
149-White
157-Clark and Kannaird to battle it out
165-O'Neill
174-Turley
184-Poz and Soldano-I got the impression that Poz will redshirt and Soldano will go. He said neither one is a 197lber and neither will cut to 174. Will have to wrestle one, redshirt the other then do the same the next year.
197-He really did not touch on this weight, he mentioned Janzer coming back from injury but did not really say what weight. My opinion if Janzer big enough he goes 197, unless Casale is better, than PJ will go 197. Coach did not touch on Casale
Hwt-Said McDermett and also have Esposito back. Did not mention Hamilton.

Coaching hire-said have some follow up interviews, ideally would like a upperweight coach, but not locked in on that and also said we could hire from within the staff from guys that have been loyal to the program

Anthony Ashnault | The Bader Show (Ep. 328)​

Aug 9, 2022

ADVERTISEMENT