ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Pike

Did you read his lips after our back court violation during our 1st half comeback.
You can argue his substitutions and Xs and Os, it’s what all fan bases do....but in that moment what he said was the sign of a great players coach.
I didn't see that. Is it something that can be shared on this family-friendly forum?

“Forget about it, don’t worry about it”
With a flippant hand motion that every player knew meant he didn’t care.

I always bring up my experiences and I know it irks some.
But with my manager in Pittsburgh, after making an error with 2 outs and a man on third and allowing a run to score, I remember running back to the dugout with my head down, and Chuck Tanner would say, what the hell are you worried about, pick your head up kid, you’re gonna win this game for us.
Really made a difference

But with my manager in Pittsburgh, after making an error with 2 outs and a man on third and allowing a run to score, I remember running back to the dugout with my head down, and Chuck Tanner would say, what the hell are you worried about, pick your head up kid, you’re gonna win this game for us.
Really made a difference

Why would your experiences irk some? You lived the sports life we all wish we lived. You share the experiences of a professional athlete with us.

Really made a difference
Definitely saw it and appreciated it. I actually thought Harper and Johnson were getting into a bit of an argument over it and he was calming them down.

Been watching Pikes for a long time, and his in-game philosophy is clearly geared to maintaining positivity and fostering confidence. People would like to see him blow a gasket from time-to-time (players and refs), but it's just not his style and he makes his points without showing off or showing anybody up. There's plenty of ass-chew that takes place in the locker room and practice.

I can’t even imagine what was going through coach’s head when we were down 15.
But even if we hadn’t turned it around and we got blown out, the man would have remained positive about every player on this team and blamed himself.
That’s a man who’s very secure and comfortable in his skin

Really made a difference
I am a Pirates fan (after your time) doesnt irk me.

But even if we hadn’t turned it around and we got blown out, the man would have remained positive about every player on this team and blamed himself.
that's the special sauce. plus treating everyone, including officials, with respect.

Reactions: RW90 and BillyC80
I am more than happy that Pike did not put the brakes on after we went 0-7 on threes early. Many of our "couch coaches" here would have urged him to do so.
Word!
I’ll include myself.
As a matter of fact, I text with a member of this forum during every game.
Last night I said WTF Cliff, what followed was a block and two dunks.
I said WTF Tez, followed by two tremendous dunks.
I know absolutely nothing...lol
My buddy RaRa said, please keep bad mouthing the players, it works

Word!
I’ll include myself.
Glad to hear it. The only logic I see to justify it (and my "Insane idea" thread).. is that in college basketball you have to hit threes to win.. PERIOD.. and you cannot hit threes if you do not take threes. So, slump or no slump, hit or miss, win or lose, you have to take threes.

I wish I could like this post twice!

Word!
I’ll include myself.
So, what you are saying is what virtually every fan does in any sporting event!
Even my wife gets into yelling at the TV when they don't do something well.

Reactions: zappaa

Really made a difference
My first thought when I read this was "Wow! You knew The Rifleman?!" And then I remembered that that was Chuck Connors.

Yeah, we all hate it when you recount tales of playing MLB. We especially hate chats about your Dad and Mickey and Whitey. HATE THAT! My favorite hated one is the World Series ring imprint on your cheek when you sassed your Mom. I could hate that time and again.

Be well, mate! Kia kaha!

Really made a difference
I can't imagine it irking anyone. We're all life long sports fans. Who wouldn't want to hear about stuff from a former major leaguer?

Did you read his lips after our back court violation during our 1st half comeback.
You can argue his substitutions and Xs and Os, it’s what all fan bases do....but in that moment what he said was the sign of a great players coach.
I think there’s a lot of stuff pike does that people question where he’s thinking about things like this. I think when you have integrity and genuinely care about people it can become second nature.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Was he batting 4th or 8th that season? (I ask this with a good-natured wink to our friend Zap)
Chuck Tanner liked an eighth hitter who could drive home a run from first base with two outs, Phil Garner batted eight for us before I took over.
I hit 25 doubles in 82 and 83, so I was walked intentionally with men on base to get to the pitcher.
Tanner thought that was important because we’d lead off the next inning with the #1 hitter.
I’m the only eighth hitter in history to lead the league in intentional walks....😀
I was given a free pass 19 times

Last edited:
Great post/thread. I've always been a huge proponent of providing honest performance feedback to everyone on my team (have led groups as large as 50), but trying to do so in a positive way where even constructive feedback was provided with the clear intention of helping that person to do better in the future, with special emphasis usually on figuring out a way to have the person help themselves, rather than yelling and screaming and holding their nose in the doo-doo, like a dog, which is what way too many people think is "leadership."

Even when things went wrong, I would never get angry or publicly redress anyone and would always say, ok, we'll be fine, let's see what we can do to fix things and get back on track. And I would often ask what I could be doing better as a leader, either with regard to feedback or providing the right tools and opportunities and/or removing obstacles for people. Having some fun along the way was also important. People seemed to appreciate that style.

Other great thing about Pike last night. he started Duke who was a senior..didn’t have to but shows his character. I thought that was great especially knowing how important this game was to the team.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU and RC71
Chuck Tanner liked an eighth hitter who could drive home a run from first base with two outs, Phil Garner batted eight for us before I took over.
I hit 25 doubles in 82 and 83, so I was walked intentionally with men on base to get to the pitcher.
Tanner thought that was important because we’d lead off the next inning with the #1 hitter.
I’m the only eighth hitter in history to lead the league in intentional walks....😀
I was given a free pass 19 times
Awesome Dale. Love it all — the doubles, the intentional walks, and the strategy to clear the pitcher for the next inning. Well done! The nuances in the game of baseball never cease to amaze me.

Reactions: zappaa
Other great thing about Pike last night. he started Duke who was a senior..didn’t have to but shows his character. I thought that was great especially knowing how important this game was to the team.
In his post game he said he couldn't start all 6 senoiors because of RULES... but what if Pike INTENTIONALLY started 6 players? We'd get a T.. but it would have been cool. Allow INDIANA to win the jump ball.. and we'd not even lose a possession.

Last edited:
You must not have seen the game thread when we got behind .

Word!
I’ll include myself.
It’s only crazy if it doesn’t work. :-)

Johnny Bench told me if you hit my F’n glove you little dago I’m gonna kick your ass, then you old man’s
Ha! So you had a reputation for that? As others have said.. this stuff is great!

As for reputations, I recall a baseball card with Johnny Bench "trivia" calling him one of the most eligible bachelors in the majors... which was a very odd tidbit for a card.. when i got older I thought of it as a dig at teh "gay" rumors...

ADVERTISEMENT