ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches deserve credit

knightfan2000

Senior
Dec 14, 2005
At the beginning of the season I doubted if we could win one B1G game. With only 8 players - several freshmen and transfers combined with 3 returning players who had very little playing time under the last year's (inept) staff - chances of success were slim. Credit Washington and her assistants for winning 3 conference games so far and showing much improvement. Today they played toe to toe for most of the game against the #6 ranked team in front of 10,000+ hostile fans. I just hope the players being recruited recognize the job the staff is doing AND the fact that they want the players to have FUN with the game of basketball as well. With an infusion of a few decent players and solid coaching we will be very competitive in the B1G next year.

At the beginning of the season I doubted if we could win one B1G game. With only 8 players - several freshmen and transfers combined with 3 returning players who had very little playing time under the last year's (inept) staff - chances of success were slim. Credit Washington and her assistants for winning 3 conference games so far and showing much improvement. Today they played toe to toe for most of the game against the #6 ranked team in front of 10,000+ hostile fans. I just hope the players being recruited recognize the job the staff is doing AND the fact that they want the players to have FUN with the game of basketball as well. With an infusion of a few decent players and solid coaching we will be very competitive in the B1G next year.
I was just thinking the same exact thing. So funny that i was formulating the same thoughts in a post while you had posted this while I was doing so.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUDiddy777
Looked at the score and they held their own for 3 quarters. Great to see a few wins (esp PSU). Hope to see a few more!!! I like this coach and believe she’ll build a winner.

Reactions: Bon1674
Yes I was discouraged with the way things happened at the end of last season and post season which hampered Hobbs ability to make a hire and move forward with the program. Despite that mess, Washington and staff have done a darn good job with the situation. I understand 7 of the 8 players can return next year. She signed one recruit for next year so if she can sign 2 or 3 players in the spring, either freshman or portal gets, I think this team can be very competitive in the league depending on the spring additions.

Reactions: Esipos1 and eso1989
Yes I was discouraged with the way things happened at the end of last season and post season which hampered Hobbs ability to make a hire and move forward with the program. Despite that mess, Washington and staff have done a darn good job with the situation. I understand 7 of the 8 players can return next year. She signed one recruit for next year so if she can sign 2 or 3 players in the spring, either freshman or portal gets, I think this team can be very competitive in the league depending on the spring additions.

Priority for coaches in offseason:

1. Keep all players with remaining eligibility (Smikle being #1 priority to keep another school from poaching her)

2. Find a PG--hopefully from transfer or JUCO ranks.

3. More depth: outstanding HS Recruits, JUCO, transfer portal

1. Keep all players with remaining eligibility (Smikle being #1 priority to keep another school from poaching her)

That was one of the main problem with CVS stringing us out no pun intended is Coach didn't have anytime to pick up any transfers; So hopefully we can pick up a few transfers and some good high school recruits have you or anyone heard anything about recruiting?

Looked at the score and they held their own for 3 quarters. Great to see a few wins (esp PSU). Hope to see a few more!!! I like this coach and believe she’ll build a winner.
Looks like they just wore down in the 4th Q. Bummer. But agreed, Washington has them playing hard!

Reactions: Bon1674 and MADHAT1

Hopefully, a skilled 6'5"ish post also from portal or JUCO.

Have not been following the program closely, but would agree that getting 4 conference wins with an 8 person roster reflects well on the new staff.

There is something there with Coach Washington. I am hoping she is taking a page out of the Pikiell playbook to build the program. She's done an amazing job and the players have responded very positively. Even in losses they do not show quit. That is coaching and player will. Both very positive.

ADVERTISEMENT