ADVERTISEMENT

College Ave quad (Records Hall, etc)

Scarlet Craig

All Conference
Aug 11, 2001
any news on this? I was really hoping this would happen sooner rather than later. That area is the last big eyesore on CAC.

it was on the master plan , not sure the timing of what the plan proposed was. Gotta figure it will be later than that just knowing how things go. But agree it is such a major major project.

I really hope when they do decide to take it on and design it, that they do so to make the entire campus feel continuous and connected. For example the river dorms area feels like its the same part of the college ave gym area. And it then connects to the honors college, right on down to Scott Hall. Need to make that entire area feel like a beautiful, continuous, walkable, green, inviting campus.

It could be done it stages. Demo Records Hall and the smokestack and make the area an open green space. Add buildings later as money permits. Of course, I don't know what offices/functions are currently in Records Hall and if they can be relocated.

-Scarlet Jerry

Reactions: RC_2002
It could be done it stages. Demo Records Hall and the smokestack and make the area an open green space. Add buildings later as money permits. Of course, I don't know what offices/functions are currently in Records Hall and if they can be relocated.

-Scarlet Jerry

Well, sooner or later they have to be. Even if this plan is very slow to come to fruition, that is the plan so they must move.

I'm sure someone somewhere has a plan for what has to be built before something else can be torn down to accommodate displaced offices and such. You have to be ready in case I win Powerball after nobody's hit for a couple of months and throw a lot of money at them.

Or something like that.

Here's a little bit of progress mentioned regarding quad (planning process until 2020) and some Rariton/waterfront progress as well.
https://www.tapinto.net/towns/east-...rs-plans-new-chapter-for-new-brunswicks-ri-14

Very exciting, forward campus designing that is long overdue for college ave. This is the cohesive, beautiful, college like campus that we all envisioned for Jersey's state college. And all that excitement slightly dissipates when they say it's decades away from coming to life. DecadeS (more than one). So now I have to hope its a reality by the time my unborn children are going off to college.

My kids should be incoming freshmen in fall 2026 and 2032, maybe they will see it

I don't think it will be "decades", I don't know how accurate that article is. If they meant the entire 2030 plan then yeah it could take decades. I'm pretty sure the new quad is the next step in the College Ave redevelopment initiative. It most likely begins within the next few years.

Here's a little bit of progress mentioned regarding quad (planning process until 2020) and some Rariton/waterfront progress as well.
https://www.tapinto.net/towns/east-...rs-plans-new-chapter-for-new-brunswicks-ri-14
Ummmmm...

That would entail the demolition of the College Avenue Student Center, the Brower Commons Dining Hall, the Student Activities Center, campus power plant and Records Hall, which contains a computer lab, post office and administrative officers.

I'm having a lot of trouble envisioning all of that happening.

Screenshot_2018-01-17_at_12.32.56_PM.png

Holy smokes...that would be amazing. Pedestrian bridge the Livingston?

Thats the piece of that plan that I raise an eyebrow out. To build a bridge over the river must be insanely expensive. And they would take on that cost to do it solely for pedestrians and the walk to Livingston is probably 1.5 miles - 2 miles from Brower. How many students are going to walk that regularly? Bike .. okay fine but still thats a huge cost to take on for a small fraction of students that would use when the weather is perfect. Now if you told me the bridge would ALSO house a light rail between campuses .. I'd say NOW WE'RE TALKIN

At the end of the day .. I'm a huge proponent that Rutgers NB NEEDS a light rail that is faster, efficient and much more enjoyable than the nightmare that the buses can be. Seems like a project tailor made for DEVCO, Rutgers, and city of NB + Piscataway partnership. Could get commuters to the downtown NB train station too.

Reactions: CoachMagoo
The security really depends on the design/elevation of this so-called bridge, which isn't clear. If they desire a bridge into or to the foot of the preserve, whose route would continue on the ground, then the security measures needed would necessarily degrade the integrity of the preserve, with construction, lights, fencing, etc. If it's to be an elevated route, similar to the elevated bike path in Copenhagen or the ped' path in china,
9879e04b0c5c455d446c6c3e2a8f29f4.jpg
with access limited to College ave and Livingston campus, then you have a much better chance of limiting the negative effect of preserve degradation, with keeping humans above the forest and not having to alter the landscape as much, dig to install wiring for lights, embankments, etc....

Ok, using the above pic, I can see this being a tourist attraction and I wouldn't be mad if it were built over the Raritan and thru the preserve [thumb2]

I hope there is some type of secure location for kids to store canoes and kayaks.When I bring my kayak up for a few hours,I usually access at Donaldson Park in Highland Park.

ADVERTISEMENT