ADVERTISEMENT

Company for Away Games

RedChucken123

Sophomore
Oct 21, 2015
This thread is probably a little early and I’ll probably bring it up later on in the year. Just thought I’d get the idea out there.

I live 2 hours drive from Penn State and 6 hours from Ohio State. I’d like to go to an away game (at least Penn State), but I think I’m the only person of my RU friends a big enough MBB fan to make such a trip. Anyone also thinking about going to the Penn State game (1/26/19, Saturday, 4:30pm)? Aside from having some company to root with, it just feels more secure getting to and leaving the arena with some people of common interest. I’m sure the fans are all civilized, but it just takes 2-3 drunken idiots to start some trouble. (FYI, I’m a 6’0, 215 lb dude). I’m probably not as much concerned with Ohio State. I just think, correct me if I’m wrong, that there is more perceived animosity between RU and Penn State.

I might go... need to look at the schedule and cross reference with work

We’ve been to hundreds of away venues over the years...never had so much as a heated conversation with an opposing fan in a visiting arena.

If you aren’t looking for trouble, there won’t be any. Just ignore the jerks that may have something to say win or lose.

Penn State doesn’t care that much about basketball to fight over it, that’s for sure, and there’s zero game day atmosphere. Rutgers won their first league road game there.

Ohio State fans are also fairly basketball indifferent, but their building has a little life.

Columbus has way more going for it as a town than does State College. Both have tickets and parking easily available.

We will probably be at both.

I can probably be just fine, if I keep to myself, but i was hoping to cheer consistently, and I’ve been told I can be pretty loud when I cheer. Lmao. Nothing inappropriate or obnoxious, but a “Yea!!! Let’s go!!!” after a big dunk can annoy anyone a little bit. And when you say we, I’m assuming at least two. Two is better than one and I was hoping for at least one other person to have a common direction. Any more than that is just bonus. Regardless thanks for the feedback!!! Hope it becomes a good one!!!

I can probably be just fine, if I keep to myself, but i was hoping to cheer consistently, and I’ve been told I can be pretty loud when I cheer. Lmao. Nothing inappropriate or obnoxious, but a “Yea!!! Let’s go!!!” after a big dunk can annoy anyone a little bit. And when you say we, I’m assuming at least two. Two is better than one and I was hoping for at least one other person to have a common direction. Any more than that is just bonus. Regardless thanks for the feedback!!! Hope it becomes a good one!!!
As someone in that same class of volume/excitement, you should be fine. I’ve found that most fans like engaging and often times there’s mutual complaining about the state of each other’s programs. I’ve been to a bunch of neutral site and away games and it’s always been a pleasure.

Marquette back in the day was no place to be rooting for ND-----ditto Dayton.

I will say that the most hospitable place I was ever in as a fan of the visitors was Lambeau Field in Green Bay.

People couldn't have been nicer and I would say to anyone if you like great sports venues it's a must see.

I am planning to go to the SHU & Fordham games and possibly a few others if at all possible. I have had season tickets for 30 years and have been going to games since 1971. I never miss a home game and always attend a few road games. I also went to Wash DC for the Big Tournament in 2017 plus all 3 games at MSG in the BIG Tournament in March.

BK is right ...

Most places won’t give you a hard team as long as you aren’t obnoxious and rooting for your own team

Well, I didn’t need to post on the board to know that. What good is going to any live event if you can’t even root for your own team.

Shoot, when Purdue came to our house last year, you can easily hear their whole group chanting stuff like, “Defense!!!”. Group cheers at away games for any sport is not an uncommon occurrence. I’m not advocating anything crazy, but it just adds to the fun to have back and forth rebuttal cheers. Maybe I’ll just buy tix off the scarlet knights website. They always group the fans together right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT